• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I was dinking around with Yoshi...

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
And by dinking, I do not mean sexing.... what? Anyway, moving on. I was messing around with Yoshi the other day (I main Luigi if you didn't figure that out yet), and dear god, his pivot grab is outstanding! I started playing Yoshi a bit more, and with the DR and all that, he really has some metagame potential. He can chaingrab very well too. The only problem I have is his aweful, aweful recovery options. Don't kid yourself on this one guys, he cannot get back to the stage, at all. How do you deal with it? I would like to play Yoshi more if I could work around his fricking hideous recovery. Any advice?

SOVAman

Smash Hero
lol I never die recovering

so what were you talking about????????

also we all know his pivot grab is good

also this thread is pointless.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well his recovery with tap on his not great, what you should do if you are tapping is:

Recover Low

Do Not throw eggs off stage

DJ into Uair if coming from beneath, if needed throw egg for extra height.

NEVER air dodge near the ledge after throw an egg, it will **** you!

Gindler

Smash Champion
Only time I was gimped (that excludes meteors =D) is when I was under someone else's account and it had tap jump on so I killed myself really. Honestly I prefer yoshi's recovery to luigi's. the green missile is so easily meteored it's not even funny...

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
turn off tap jump, its easier to recover, you won't accidently SD urself with egg toss

D

Deleted member

Dont kid yourself luigiking, luigis recovery is 100x worse than yoshis and yoshi actually has a good recovery =P

Tap jump off and ur good.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Just one thing: Try a rising airdodge (double jump and then airdodge).

Epic win.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Have you guys ever SD'd under FD from the Double Jump? sometimes I DI to close to the stage when im under it and get stuck there.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
just reverse up B out and you'll grab the ledge, most of the time.
i always think i'm dead and then i up B and i'm alive, yay!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ROFL @ bad Yoshi recovery.

Follow everyone else's advice here, they're onto something smart. ^_~

I don't think I've ever legitimately lost a stock in tournament by way of recovery. You have to KO my @$$, LOL!

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Um you guys do know you can still do tilt egg toss recovery even with tap jump on right?

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
sometimes your second jump gets cancelled along with the up+b if you have tap jump on
you can be more precise when you don't have to worry about moving your control stick too early

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Yes, everyone knows that. But when you press up with tap jump on, you will often exhaust your jump by canceling it with an egg toss.
If you just tilt it and don't tap you won't. You just need to be a little more careful until you get used to it. Then it should be like 2nd nature to you. I mean if you can DR tilting an egg toss in the air should be quite simple in comparison.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
If you just tilt it and don't tap you won't. You just need to be a little more careful until you get used to it. Then it should be like 2nd nature to you. I mean if you can DR tilting an egg toss in the air should be quite simple in comparison.
Yeah...

OR YOU CAN JUST TAKE TAP JUMP OFF.

VOILA!

Plus, people are learning to DR without having to tap-jump, so there's very little reason to have it on in the first place.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...

OR YOU CAN JUST TAKE TAP JUMP OFF.

VOILA!

Plus, people are learning to DR without having to tap-jump, so there's very little reason to have it on in the first place.
Well I personally hate switching controls all the time when I want to change characters. Besides it's REALLY easy.

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's not "Easy", it's too pressuring!

If you tap up, you'll die!

Why would I want that?

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
It's not "Easy", it's too pressuring!

If you tap up, you'll die!

Why would I want that?
Then don't tap. Just press it GENTLY. To clarify just tilt "up" gently to initiate the toss, after that you can tap to aim in any direction you want and it won't use your jump. I do it all the time and I have no problems. Just give it a try, you'll find it's actually very easy. And if you don't like it you can go back to your non tap-jump ways.

Off topic: Can you still do a running up-smash with tap off? I've never tried playing with tap off so idk.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, tap jump off FTW. I hate when I forget to put my tag on and i'm flying around uncontrollably doing rising Uairs (well exaggerating, but I hate using the cstick for Uairs and yeah don't like rising all the time...)

.Marik

is a social misfit
You jump, double jump, than spam up B. It should work. it would also help if you tilted your control stick to the side (the direction your going in) to gain more momentum while recovering. It always works.

Sharky

Smash Master
correction: it always works IF you already have forward momentum. If you try to egg throw forward from zero horizontal speed, you're not going anywhere. Best to let yourself drop a bit while holding forward first.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Then don't tap. Just press it GENTLY. To clarify just tilt "up" gently to initiate the toss, after that you can tap to aim in any direction you want and it won't use your jump. I do it all the time and I have no problems. Just give it a try, you'll find it's actually very easy. And if you don't like it you can go back to your non tap-jump ways.

Off topic: Can you still do a running up-smash with tap off? I've never tried playing with tap off so idk.
the point is none of us want that extra effort, lol.

and yeah, upsmash out of dash still works w/o tap jump, there's no reason it shouldn't.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
the point is none of us want that extra effort, lol.

and yeah, upsmash out of dash still works w/o tap jump, there's no reason it shouldn't.
Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I know there's some things that don't work without tap jumping, but I can't remember them off the top of my head now.

bigman40

Smash Master
I know for a fact that having tap jump on will make you work more to move the control stick that slowly. Brawl makes the stick far too sensitive to make it a viable option. I mean, I slowly moved the stick up (like as slow as ever), and it still made me jump >.>

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I know for a fact that having tap jump on will make you work more to move the control stick that slowly. Brawl makes the stick far too sensitive to make it a viable option. I mean, I slowly moved the stick up (like as slow as ever), and it still made me jump >.>
Just pretend you're doing an up-tilt except with the b button.

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
The only problem I have is his aweful, aweful recovery options. Don't kid yourself on this one guys, he cannot get back to the stage, at all. How do you deal with it? I would like to play Yoshi more if I could work around his fricking hideous recovery. Any advice?
Based on that I'd say you where trying to use his side B to recover (don't use his side B to recover).

Also tap jump off.

.Marik

is a social misfit
correction: it always works IF you already have forward momentum. If you try to egg throw forward from zero horizontal speed, you're not going anywhere. Best to let yourself drop a bit while holding forward first.
..... That's what I meant... it's kinda hard to explain.. >_>

Okay, jump, double jump, and then tilt your control stick to the side of the stage that you are recovering from (Left side of the stage=right side, right side of the stage= left side, unless there are platforms, such as Skyworld, and Yoshi's Island, then just land on those) then spam up B. Make sure you have momentum, and time it correctly. You should be fine.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
When I first read the title I thought it said, "So I was drinking around with Yoshi..."

/cheers

CYAN!

Smash Rookie
The only problem I have is his aweful, aweful recovery options
how does yoshi have bad recovery????? are u crazy?

You have quite a few recovery options, egg throwing which will send you in a particular direction if you have enough momentum. your second jump, which should be used just befor egg throwing, because egg throwing takes away your second jump. You could even use the egg roll to get on the ledge if your being camped by a nub (worked for me a FEW times)...

Top Bottom