• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I've been wondering...

ADHD

Smash Hero
Against super aggressive opponents that go extremely offensive, what playstyle should you change to? For example, if a peach is going super aggressive should you go defensive back or go aggressive back as well?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
A little trick I like to do is go off the edge, throw a banana so that it falls and blocks the ledge. Then do the b up into the ledge at the same molment. So if the opponent tries to come after you and goes for the ledge the banana hits them off and they get stage spiked by the B up.

For examples watch this video at 4:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-5AKzfhlc

and this video at 2:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuUGjQMsj7k

DUB

Smash Lord
I love the Aggro-Control playstyle. Diddy's good at reversing momentum.

Don't ever forget you can GT OoS. Space yourself for the shield grabs. Get your naners out, get back in control.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't really have a difference between my offensive and my defesinve playstyle or atleast I don't know it. Like Diddy, I like to screw up their offensive momentum using bananas. On characters like MK, Peach, or Marth I do a retreating SH banana throw, if it hits I'll capitalize on it, if it doesn't I'll do retreating SH peanuts. If I run out of stage to retreat on, I'll SH of the stage and do the same thing. On characters such as Falco, Fox, Wolf, DK, Zelda, I'll just keep a grounded banana game and simply midgame them into some bananas, sometimes just pulling them out works and they'll just run into them.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Thats when you put a brick wall up, a type of offense/defense that the opponent must use reasoning to get past before attacking you. I like to lay two bananas in front of me, use the peanut gun from behind and monkey flip over to them while they decide how to get past it.

Besides the brick wall i would respond to aggressiveness with some of my own. Use attacks that are frustrating in successful combos. Infinite jab tends to bother these agressive players, as they will DI all crazy and allow you to follow up with a monkey hump or maybe Utilt.

If the aggressiveness gets to you, and you get comboed, know that if tehy hit you they will follow for a combo attack. If you act like you are stunned after the hit for longer than you actually are, it can be deceptive as they will go for a blind attack thinking that you cant retaliate, then you can do as you please.

All in all, as a diddy, when the opponent is being overly aggressive you want to frustrate them with some well-placed melee attacks. Since aggressiveness is borderline anger and rage, and anger tends to make an opponent sloppy, you want to bring them over that edge. Bananas wont work in this situation, in fact, its probably what made them so mad. Peanut gun might slow their approach, but if they are that aggro they wont mind being hit by a couple. Use your F-air for priority, infinite jab for frustration, always continue cartwheel combos, and use grabs whenever they try to shield your vicious melee attacks. Hopefully then they will get angry, then its an easy win.

saberhof

Smash Master
Well, against a good aggressive player, i would start to think, if a player is really aggressive, why don't i make them mess up?, you will think this in the case that you think you cant really counter anything the aggressive player is doing. that's where your thinking comes in hand instead of just playing around with techniques, there are many circumstances you can go in like:

-Bananas that are in the ground, leave them there, stand behind one and never pick it up then shield, this could give 2 options:
- He will think you are going to throw it and will pull away
- He will attack you being aggressive as he will be and will fall on the banana
-Certain situations give the opponent the opportunity to grab your banana therefore being MORE aggressive and attacking you with your own item, here is where you can either:
- Wait for the throw or glide toss and charge an up b or...
- Time a Good catch and throw it back

On another note...

When he is pressuring your shield with attacks and going back and forth, you can do lots of things, you don't really need to close your world into "I need to shield this :O" or "Roll, Roll, Sidestep, Roll" more like "What can i do in my shield?", heres loads of stuff :O:

- The perfect situation would be if you are holding a banana, you can glide toss backwards or forwards into something
-Second would be Up-B'ing out of shield, i do not recommend this, but still an option :)
-The last one and it is also good, would be the Up smash out of shield, in big options, you can counter lots of stuff, like Peach's Dair...

Some other cases you can watch is what you are working with...

If its peach, well, she has nice attacks with a float in it, and she has turnips, look into all that and how to counter all that stuff, but sometimes these things can freak you out if they are put together...

As for other aggressiveness, you can just be very cautious and watch any pattern he will follow, and never make him pressure you into anything

this can be one type of counter vs an aggressive player, but sometimes you can be aggressive back as long as you know what the opponent is going to do just watch him when you do these things:

What does your opponent do when:

-You pull out a banana
-You Side B
-You shield
-You Roll

Lots of little details you can see and they are not that hard to watch out for :)...

Other things you can do can be:
- Jump really high, and down b, go under the banana and fall with it, do not catch it, this can really freak out someone if you measure your height right and hide the banana
- Roll away as far as you can, or Run like crazy while your thinking of your next move

the last case i can give you is be aggressive first then watch what they do against it :)...just plan out your game and think it along the way :D

I cant give any other situations, its a very fun game :D...you will figure it out soon and you will outthink the opponent :D

IDK

Smash Lord
Try to be more aggressive. If they start out the match extremely aggressive it means that that's how they play best, and it is complemented by you trying to play defensive (Unless your playstyle is always defensive and you're really good at it). But in my case, I play aggressive, so if someone else is aggressive, I'm going to be more aggressive, except in the case that the character matchup gives them the aggressive advantage.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is over aggressive just play defensively/campy with bananas and peanuts and just let them jump into the ****. If they're over aggressive it shouldn't be too hard to mind game them into bananas and punish them.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If your opponent is over aggressive just play defensively/campy with bananas and peanuts and just let them jump into the ****. If they're over aggressive it shouldn't be too hard to mind game them into bananas and punish them.
Lol super aggressive peaches are so hard to camp, but then works against metas.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
If the peach is agressive I'd probably run away and spam peanuts at her aerial approach. If she is on the ground then its just nanners.

Cyclopean

Smash Cadet
aggressive-

1. Characterized by aggression: aggressive behavior.
2. Inclined to behave in an actively hostile fashion: an aggressive regime.
3. Assertive, bold, and energetic: an aggressive sales campaign.
4. Of or relating to an investment or approach to investing that seeks above-average returns by taking above-average risks.
5. Fast growing; tending to spread quickly and invade: an aggressive tumor.
6. Characterized by or inclined toward vigorous or intensive medical treatment: an aggressive approach to treating the infection.
7. Intense or harsh, as in color.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
what i do IF i really need to is go both defensive/offensive depending on how good the player is. Generally what i do is go defensive and start confusing the opponent.Watch his moves for everything you do. What saber said is right.

Eploit at all cost for their mistakes since when people go offensive, the do things (sometimes) by muscle memory.

Rush is also pretty helpful. Dont let them have room to breath...

ill shut up now T_T

DUB

Smash Lord
No noobyness but what is this aggro control playstyle?? i need 2 know
It's not too hard of a concept. It's built off adapting to your opponents play style very quickly and implying a quick counter to make them come to you. At this point you go into one of your 30+% combos. It's a terrific mix up of aggressive/campy behavior that keeps your opponent off balanced if you do it right. To me, Diddy does it better then anyone else in the game.

saberhof

Smash Master
^ yes diddy has a great Aggrocntrl, he can camp differently like crazy and make it look like he is running away and/or scared of the opponent, making him feel rather cool about any situation, and in the last moment you come back with a nice 60% combo into out of edge and freak him out...

x)...soo has your case been solved chrome??

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Against super aggressive opponents that go extremely offensive, what playstyle should you change to? For example, if a peach is going super aggressive should you go defensive back or go aggressive back as well?
i generally make my opponent do the opposite of what they want to do, unless the matchup is in my favor completely by playing campy//aggro.
just take them to whatever puts them out of their comfort zone. its really more of a person and matchup specific thing though, not just a general question you can ask

ADHD

Smash Hero
i generally make my opponent do the opposite of what they want to do, unless the matchup is in my favor completely by playing campy//aggro.
just take them to whatever puts them out of their comfort zone. its really more of a person and matchup specific thing though, not just a general question you can ask
hey are you going to that thing jan 3rd id like to play you :) lots of ppl to play

Cold_Trax

Smash Cadet
hmm... well aggressive players get ticked off (bananas) so I just end up ticking them off more (bananas). Basically Diddy seems to work well both ways depending on what character ur opponent uses. Any characters that can reflect the bananas, I don't play go offensive, play moreover defensive.

Top Bottom