• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So tell the truth: Will you use characters....

TwilightKnight

Smash Cadet
Luigi was my main in SSBM and he'll remain my main in SSBB, Because after trying out so many characters in SSBM Luigi was the one character whose style fit well with mine.

S623

Smash Apprentice
I avoid playing with characters if I don't like their play-style. Fortunately, most of the characters who's style I like also happen to be pretty good. Like Samus or Peach. Luigi is the exception. I love him.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
Yes.

In every Smash game that has come out I only play characters that I both like as a character and like their play style.

This explains why I played as D.K., Doctor Mario, Roy, Game&Watch and Young Link in melee. I accept that tiers exist, and that some characters I play have disadvantages but I enjoy playing these favourites characters of mine. :)

I'll be playing characters I like in Brawl as well.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I myself, cannot choose. At first, I wanted to be Metaknight, just like a lot of people. Overtime, I began thinking "No, I can't pick him. I want to be unique. I want someone original, who not many people will think of." And then, my first main from Melee, Bowser, was announced. I was all for him, so I gave up on Metaknight. I had then saw the Pokemon Trainer. He was original, with his three Pokemon, each with their own unique movesets.

But, after awhile, Dedede came out, and i wanted to play as him as well as both the Pokemon Trainer and Bowser. Then Olimar was announced, and then one of my other mains from Melee, Luigi. But recently, I've played as Ness and have been completely obliterating my friend with him. He plays so many different characters, but I beat them all.

That is, if he didn't keep quitting out of the matches when he was down to one stock. But, after a good long thought, I have decided that I will attempt to play as every single character. Sure, I may not be the best then with any specific character, but, like one of my other friends who did this in Melee, I hope I'll be good enough to compete with any character.

So, the final thing is: Not just one. Not just two. But 39 characters (Including all transformations)

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I like to use characters that I like, rather than who is the most powerful. Otherwise we'd all use Marth all the time :ohwell:

I want to have Ness as my main, as I prefer his more faster comboable A button style and aerial moves to Lucas' slow powerful/interrupting style. That, and I don't tend to use PKT 2 very often so Ness' bigger 2nd jump is also a good thing for newbs like me. I always liked Ness because I played Earthbound and it was one of the cooler RPGs I played.

Also, I want to play Ike but I've never played Fire Emblem. I probably will see if I can play Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn one of these days but I just like the slow long range heavy hitting Ike seems to do. He seems the best for people like me who can't react super fast, and Ike's have more thoughtful timing involved instead of super-speed characters like Sonic. Ike seems to be good for newbs as long as you can recover correctly with sideb and upb and keep foes at a perfect distance with your sword and not get up too close.

My third person I look forward to is probably Diddy because I always liked him when I played the Donkey Kong games on the SNES, he beats people like Dixie Kong any day.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I decide by both personally. I have to be a fan of the character and their playstyle. I didn't just main Falco in Melee because he was good and I liked his playstyle, I also used him because Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I like Diddy as a character, but I don't think I'll like his play style, so I probably won't use him very much.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong was my game idol back when I was 5.

Donkey kong country 2 was an epic game. I said I would main Diddy the day he was released. I still plan on it.
I have to agree with you on Diddy Kong....the chimp is so awesome, but the first time I saw Meta knight I was like whoa a bad*** Kirby (age of 4..so bad*** wasn't in my vocab =D) Kirby's Adventure ftw.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
hell yea! i'm maining charizard right off the back, my favorite character ever. i thought he had 0 chance, but w00t!

i'll also go for olimar, meta-knight, wolf, sonic, and wario. because i can.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
I choose my main based on how much I like them as a character, and luckily for me the playstyle of the character was easy for me to adapt to, hence why I mained Ganon in Melee and will do so again in Brawl.

Zek

Smash Ace
Melee had a really horrible tier list for me. All the characters I liked the most were Bottom/Low. I didn't even like any of the characters above Medium. Even if Brawl ends up being equally unbalanced, I hope the tables get turned on the old favorites.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I will use that characters i like as i always have i don't use fox at all in melee i use C.falcon, Link, Samus, Peach, And Marth. And in brawl i like the look of most of the new characters so i'll probebly use a lot of characters not to say they will be my mains but i will use them because i like the look of them and if i like the move set then some of them will be my main.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'll probably use more characters then Melee (Fox, Link, Falco, Roy, Peach, and Ness) and smash 64 (Mario, Luigi, Ness), possibly combined. o_O But I shalf use Too[n] Awsome Young Link as my main. He's soooo f***ing MANLY WITH THOSE CHILDISH YELLS! I'll probably use King Dedede, Fox, Mario, Ness, Peach, Falco, Marth or Ike (need a Roy replacement in my <3 :(), Link, Luigi, Diddy Kong, and maybe Pit, Wario, or Snake. But really, I have no idea OTHER then the fact that I SHALF MAIN TOON LINKZ! :)

Dokuro

Smash Ace
I will use characters I like. I just don't have the heart to abandon Yoshi after all these years of maining him in the previous games.

BISON

Smash Rookie
I used kirby in 64 and melee I didn't know about tiers until Brawl was announced but I will still use kirby. He could be the lowest in the bottom tier and I will still main him. I've been a kirby fan since his first games. :)

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I play favorites.

Main No Matter What: Jigglypuff
Main/Secondary As Long As They Don't Suck: Kirby, Meta Knight, Ivysaur, Zelda, King Dedede, Falco
Main/Secondary As Long As They're Average or Better: Luigi, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, Charizard

Avoid No Matter What: Yoshi, Link, Fox, Donkey Kong, Wario
Avoid Unless They're Crazy Awesome: Bowser, Lucario, Mario, Sonic, Samus, Diddy Kong, Ike, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Snake, Pit

Everybody else is in between, in a different order.
Anyway, yeah, for the most part I play as characters because I like them for their personalities and quirks, not necessarily their playing style. (Jigglypuff and Meta Knight are probably the only characters whose styles I really adore. Superior aerial maneuverability forever!) On the other hand, I usually avoid characters because I don't like their playing style, not because I dislike their personalities.

Micahc

Smash Ace
I plan on maining a favorite (Sheik or Lucario)
I plan on having a top tier character as a secondary (insert to tier here)

TheBert

Smash Rookie
Seeing as how the game isn't out yet, and I have no way of knowing which characters will be good or not.. I'm going to play whichever of my chosen characters suits me best (Diddy, C. Falcon, Pikachu, Lucario, Lucas, Ness, Wario, Pit, Snake.)

Will a tier list or some broken advantages affect who I play? Probably. Almost definitely if I play competitively. Will a tier list or some broken advantages make me play certain characters? No. I may adopt another character for fun, but there are certain characters which I will absolutely not play (Marth, for example.)

I will main one of the characters I think are cool. I just might also main another one because of a broken tactic it has. C. Falcon >>>> Wario, but if Wario turns out to be insanely strong, I'll use him a lot too.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
SONIC, SHEIK/ZELDA, PT and Wolf oh and im gonna try pit and diddy its really to early to tell cuz i still got my favs from melee like link and yoshi who I will probably use too. to be honest I dont think its posible to telll without the game in my wii. BUt my main will be sonic and sheik zelda fo sho!

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm maining Sonic no matter what. Sonic holds a big part of my heart when it comes to games, he equals my like for Mario if not more.

I've always liked playing as Mewtwo and Link. I play as Ganondorf sometimes, too.

Now in Brawl, Mewtwo is gone now- I will use his replacement, who also happens to be a Pokemon I like. Ganondorf has his awesome orange cornrows of awesome, so I'll continue using him. As for Link, it was good while it lasted; now I'm going to play Toon.

Personally, I don't define my set by how good a character is in the game, I do it by how much I like the character. Mewtwo and Lucario are some of my favourite Pokemon, so I use/will use them; Link is the main character of my favourite series, along with his archnemesis Ganondorf. However, since I like Wind Waker the most, Toon will replace TP Link in my roster.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Yes.

I didn't do so in Melee, though; I rarely played as Kirby, and mostly as Peach and Jigglypuff. I guess that's what made me a Jigglypuff fan.

All of my mains are looking good though, and i pretty much like everyone in the roster.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
the first time i saw the melee trailer i was like "****!!! that sheik looks cooool" and i ended up using her. the problem with brawl is that theres a freakin lot of characters which i think are cool

the first time i saw the trailer i liked wario, then snake came out at the end and it was the most epic thing ever, then dojo started revealing chars, diddy came out, then olimar, plus i said i wasnt gonna use sheik if she returned, but then she was revealed, and boy, did she look sweet!! and game & watch was my other char, then i saw he was gonna make it, and i cant help him to want to play with him, hes so annoying for other players XD

so, i dont know who am i going to use, but whoever i choose, will be because i like him/her, not because how easy is to win with him, plus, i can be good with anyone, just takes a little practice, ive won tournaments with g&w, and a friend of mine won using jiggly ;P

True Fool

Smash Ace
I always use my fave characters. However, the situation has never been presented to me where my favorite has a moveset that is either terrible, or I just plain don't like it.

I used Link and Samus in SSB64( I was absolutely clueless to the tier-list :().

I used Marth, Roy, Ness, Link, Samus and a few others in Melee. Though in Melee, I used some characters whom I didn't particularly like at first, for their moveset. Fox, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf come to mind.

In Brawl, I already love Ike, Marth, Ness, Lucas, Samus/ZSS and Sheik as characters. I am very much liking how Snake, Wolf, Pit and Toon Link play. I may lose interest in Yoshi, since they didn't really help him all that much, and possibly Fox as well, due to having Wolf, whom so far I like his moveset and attributes better.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I didn't have a main in Melee. I had a best character, but I played with the character I found most amusing to play as.. Mr. Game and Watch. Sheik and Ike are two of my favorite characters though, so I'll be deciding between those three.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I plan on using my favorite characters, who are in my sig. Hopefully they're good.

I don't get mad at people who use certain characters only because they're high tier. Best chance to win. Its like Pokemon. Sure, there's guys who like, but you have to pick from the good ones if you actually wanna win.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I will use characters that fit my playstyle, I would have played Fox in Melee even if he wasn't top tier just because that sort of speed and fast thinking is what I am all about, fast thinking and fast fingers. If there is a bottom tier characters that need those things I'll play them.

Also I mained Fox about half a year before I saw Smash Boards then was pleasently surprised.

Arteen

Smash Lord
No character that I really liked got in, so I'm just going to choose mostly on the basis of most enjoyable moveset and playstyle.

True Fool

Smash Ace
There were actually certain characters I avoided in Melee. Sheik and Falco were too easy to be good with, in my opinion anyway, and I skipped them. I never liked Zelda(stupid one-move character). Ice Climbers bothered me after I had played the game for a few years, I don't know why. And I was never interested in learning to play Mewtwo, sucky or not, I hated how he played. And by that I mean, even if he was great high or top-tier, if he played in the same style, I still wouldn't like him at all.

COMMOFDOOM

Smash Apprentice
My only motivation to play this game is to get others to ragequit. Therefore I will pick the lamest character, abuse their lamest move, make my opponent ragequit, move on to the next noob and repeat until no one plays online anymore. I don't expect this to take longer than 10 minutes.

Z. Hoot

Smash Cadet
Straight up Toon Link. First real Zelda game ever played. Got everything in the whole game. My friends and I would sit around the basement couch and figure out puzzles. And now my 7 yr. old brother is learning to play games through Phantom Hourglass.

You could say Toon Link is very important to me.

True Fool

Smash Ace
My only motivation to play this game is to get others to ragequit. Therefore I will pick the lamest character, abuse their lamest move, make my opponent ragequit, move on to the next noob and repeat until no one plays online anymore. I don't expect this to take longer than 10 minutes.
Were you born that way, or was there some accident involved?

Coselm

Smash Ace
Pokemon Trainer because he rules.

We don't really know who will be good or bad in the llong run so mgiht as well play with people we like so we have motivation to be creative and get better.

Top Bottom