• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So that Ukemi thingy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
If I get it correctly, it can only be used after you have been hit, right? So, that's different from L-cancelling?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Except for the fact Sakurai's technique names BOTH aren't redundant and are relevant

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we know you're a staunch defender of Sakurai's technique names, Psycho.

It doesn't matter if they make sense or whether they're redundant. Reflector makes more sense than Shine, but guess which one's in use today?

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we know you're a staunch defender of Sakurai's technique names, Psycho.

It doesn't matter if they make sense or whether they're redundant. Reflector makes more sense than Shine, but guess which one's in use today?
Shinnnnnnnnnnne! Lol. I dont even like saying "ukemi"..sounds weird..like a demon name or something.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think the techs should be referred to by official names too, but I know it wont happen either way so whatever. Does Ukemi mean something in Japanese though?

But Ukemi is indeed teching. Funny thing though, the move IS in the SSB64 manual (not sure about Melee's). In there it is "pressing Z right as you hit the ground after being hit to regain your fighter's stance." Thats where I first learned about it and started using it, Ive been using it since the beginning (I actually read my game manuals).

At least now people know that Sakurai intentionally put short hops and techs into the game, it was ridiculous how people thought they were accidental finds in risk of being removed...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I think the techs should be referred to by official names too, but I know it wont happen either way so whatever...

But Ukemi is indeed teching. Funny thing though, the move IS in the SSB64 manual (not sure about Melee's). In there it is "pressing Z right as you hit the ground after being hit to regain your fighter's stance." Thats where I first learned about it and started using it, Ive been using it as long as Ive played Smash.

At least now people know that Sakurai intentionally put short hops and techs into the game, it was ridiculous how people thought they were accidental finds in risk of being removed...
So was L canceling though and it was removed...

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Ukemi is also known as a tech. Its kind of funny seeing how the devs name all of the moves, when we've had a Smash lexicon for AGES.

Chepe

Smash Lord
So was L canceling though and it was removed...
L-Canceling was never referred to anywhere in either manual. Im not sure about short hopping but cmon, that is a basic jump thing found in almost ANY platform game, its been there since SMB1 for the NES! :laugh:

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Ukemi is a common enough term in fighting games for the Japanese. It's simply that it wasn't translated. Who cares what we all end up calling it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
L-Canceling was never referred to anywhere in either manual. Im not sure about short hopping but cmon, that is a basic jump thing found in almost ANY platform game, its been there since SMB1 for the NES! :laugh:
It was talked about in N64 as Z Canceling though

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think the techs should be referred to by official names too, but I know it wont happen either way so whatever. Does Ukemi mean something in Japanese though?

But Ukemi is indeed teching. Funny thing though, the move IS in the SSB64 manual (not sure about Melee's). In there it is "pressing Z right as you hit the ground after being hit to regain your fighter's stance." Thats where I first learned about it and started using it, Ive been using it since the beginning (I actually read my game manuals).

http://www.judoinfo.com/ukemi.htm

It's obviously a common Judo 'falling recovery' technique.

Chepe

Smash Lord
It was talked about in N64 as Z Canceling though
Huh? Rest assured, the SSB64 manual didnt have anything called "Z Canceling", or any type of tip about pressing Z right as you land while doing an attack. I do believe that the mechanics of teching accidentally created L-Canceling in that game though.

In Melee it is intentionally programmed, but in SSB64 when you Z-Cancel, the after-attack lag doesnt speed up, it just disappears altogether. I think it was pretty much a glitch in that one that was noticed later by the devs, and was intentionally programmed with an animation and all in Melee...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Huh? Rest assured, the SSB64 manual didnt have anything called "Z Canceling", or any type of tip about pressing Z right as you land while doing an attack. I do believe that the mechanics of teching accidentally created L-Canceling in that game though.

In Melee it is intentionally programmed, but in SSB64 when you Z-Cancel, the after-attack lag doesnt speed up, it just disappears altogether. I think it was pretty much a glitch in that one that was noticed later by the devs, and was intentionally programmed with an animation and all in Melee...
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on the Smash site though...

whatever

Chepe

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on the Smash site though...

whatever
Oh, I think you are right. Ah, I guess the ukemi/tech were something to be worried about being removed then. Good thing they didnt though, because it sounds like Sakurai doesnt think its very important in this game... :dizzy:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
THANK YOU!!! Finally, somebody that realizes that SMALL JUMPS are basic platforming elements, and not advanced smash techniques.

I'll use Ukemi, since it sounds like a part of Bushido :p and I am always against tourney players' advanced techniques (don't ask why). Besides, if we're given official names, then we should least adknowledge them. Why don't we say, "Falco sounds weird, so lets all call him Birdie." Well?

Burz

Smash Rookie
I practice a martial art called Kaze Arashi Ryu, which is like Jujutsu but with emphasis on slowing down techniques but completely destroying the opponent. At the start of every lesson we practice Ukemi, or breakfalls, which are used to distribute force as you land. Doopliss, you may not know the word Ukemi because Judo has become a commercial thing outside Japan and has lost its tradition. Just some insight :)

Televangelist

Smash Cadet
LOL Burz, way to be humble.

Also, have you ever actually been to Japan? It's commercialized there too, same as most martial arts are.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
My secondary school Chemistry and Physics teacher was a 5. dan blackbelt judoka and he held a couple of judo courses. The first thing we learned was ukemi. This was 5 years ago and I still know how to do it.

The teacher told us that ukemi saved him from a serious head injury when he fell over while rollerskating.

Burz

Smash Rookie
Not been to Japan yet, but I guessed they'd probably use the Japanese words for things in Japan, rather than explaining it in English :p

Burz

Smash Rookie
My secondary school Chemistry and Physics teacher was a 5. dan blackbelt judoka and he held a couple of judo courses. The first thing we learned was ukemi. This was 5 years ago and I still know how to do it.

The teacher told us that ukemi saved him from a serious head injury when he fell over while rollerskating.
Yeah, breakfalls really save you, and they normally allow you to spring back up pretty quickly, so the name for it in Brawl pleased me!

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I practice a martial art called Kaze Arashi Ryu, which is like Jujutsu but with emphasis on slowing down techniques but completely destroying the opponent. At the start of every lesson we practice Ukemi, or breakfalls, which are used to distribute force as you land. Doopliss, you may not know the word Ukemi because Judo has become a commercial thing outside Japan and has lost its tradition. Just some insight :)
Yeah, there's not much traditions except the greetings in the beginning and the end.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Tech is about as much of a nonsense description of the ability.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
Shinnnnnnnnnnne! Lol. I dont even like saying "ukemi"..sounds weird..like a demon name or something.

the reason I don't like shine, is because people saying shinespark, that's a move in METROID peeps.

also ukemi is, as has already been stated, a common term in japan, and they've prolly reffered to this as that since day 1, we just didn't know about it.

Ukemi = Tech.
Imo Ukemi just sounds like the japanophiles dream name for something already in use. Its clunky and doesn't even sound like what it is.
you're just not used to it but you'll say karate or judo, if you really want to, you can say the translation, fall recovery or whatever it is.

honestly though, I think this is hilarious, noobs will be complaining that these are official moves, and a bunch of pros about the name. People need to get used to it, it's official, it's on the site, get used to it. I mean God why is everyone so resistant t change? The Sakurai has spoken, it's all right there in black and white.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
True; I did this all the time on SMB1

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Ukemi means Defend, literally, and is used in judo IRL
it is also used in street fighter when you block attacks
Ukemi=tech

Mama

Smash Ace
the reason I don't like shine, is because people saying shinespark, that's a move in METROID peeps.

also ukemi is, as has already been stated, a common term in japan, and they've prolly reffered to this as that since day 1, we just didn't know about it.

you're just not used to it but you'll say karate or judo, if you really want to, you can say the translation, fall recovery or whatever it is.

honestly though, I think this is hilarious, noobs will be complaining that these are official moves, and a bunch of pros about the name. People need to get used to it, it's official, it's on the site, get used to it. I mean God why is everyone so resistant t change? The Sakurai has spoken, it's all right there in black and white.
Thats different lol. If someone came in and said that Karate was actually called Super open bare fist fighting style you'd still want to use Karate right? Regardless of who named it Tech was used first plain and simple. Then Sakurai comes in to give it a name for the people who don't know. Thats all well and good but you can't expect people to conform. Sakurais a great guy but I'm not one of his devout "Sakurai said so" followers. Know what I mean?

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
But now we have an official resource giving it a name- this means new players will call it Ukemi, a pro will call it Teching, and the new player will not know what the pro player is talking about even when they're talking about the same thing. If everyone called it Ukemi it would remove one of the biggest issues with the community that exists right now- the needlessly obtuse lexicon.

When I first started reading these boards I was so confused but found out later I knew what everyone was talking about, I just didn't know the names they were given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom