• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, the double-spring?

~Sonic Boom~

Smash Rookie
I remember someone posting that they had preformed two springs in the air once, and all of the members of the boards flocked to him and flamed him to a horrible, albeit crispy death.

However, in a recent match against a Snake bot, I have seemed to actually preform it on complete accident while attempting to recover. It was a time match I had forgotten to change, so I got a tad annoyed and began bull****ting it, therefore preforming stupid moves that just backfired. For whatever reason, the first spring might have touched Snake, but it did no damage to him. It didn't shoot him up either. Only then did I accidently use the spring jump once more, sending me rocketing up the side of the stage.

Now, I rewatched the replay again and again, and I don't understand what would have caused it, or if it has infact been done before. If anyone wants proof, I still have the replay, I just want to know if this has infact been proven to be done before. I don't remember seeing it in the sticky, or maybe I'm just blind.

NNID
MasterHavik
I did it before, and still don't get it myself. And oh yeah, you're going to need this.....

*gives Sonic Boom the flamesuit.*

Good luck.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
A vid is a great flamesuit on it's own.

One of the stronger members will likely be asking for it soon.
If your replay can help discover how this can be caused, that would be wonderful.

~Sonic Boom~

Smash Rookie
A vid is a great flamesuit on it's own.

One of the stronger members will likely be asking for it soon.
If your replay can help discover how this can be caused, that would be wonderful.
I figured as much, that's why I kept it safe.

From what I've seen, Sonic's meta has been begining to dry, so any addition like figuring out how this thing actually works would be a wonderful addition indeed.

Anyway, for any of those who actually want to see it, I've got my Wii numbers up now, so just tell me so I can add whoever you are as well. From there, I'll send it. It happened around 1:05 to 1:02ish, since it was a time match.

samper

Smash Cadet
The last time someone sent a video of the legendary double spring jump where Sonic was not hit by anything it ended up being caused by a 1 frame footstool jump. If you took damage then that's probably what caused it, if Snake was above you he probably got a footstool jump, if you took no damage and Snake was no where near you then I have no idea.

~Sonic Boom~

Smash Rookie
Alright, so I watched it again to check if a footstool jump did infact take place. At the moment of the first release of the spring, Sonic was behind Snake at the time it appeared. Sonic was infact lower then Snake, but no footstool did appear, as Snake continued to jump towards the ledge while Sonic rocketed up past him.

I keep watching it, and it seems Sonic had released his spring about half a second before Snake made his jump, and when paused, it looks like Snake jumped off the spring, but he got no extra boost from it. They both made the sound effects at the same point, the spring appearing and Snake's jump noise, so honestly, I'm perplexed

The second jump was much further away from Snake, as he was recovering at this point. No damage was recieved at any point during this fall. If it's a footstool jump, there was no animation of it ever happening. In addition, any time I find myself victim of a footstool jump, I'm generally unable to do anything for a few moments. So I'm not entirely sure that was it.

As for penguin, no, I don't have anything to upload it with, I'm sorry.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Alright, so I watched it again to check if a footstool jump did infact take place. At the moment of the first release of the spring, Sonic was behind Snake at the time it appeared. Sonic was infact lower then Snake, but no footstool did appear, as Snake continued to jump towards the ledge while Sonic rocketed up past him.
Continued to jump? He was jumping?

I keep watching it, and it seems Sonic had released his spring about half a second before Snake made his jump, and when paused, it looks like Snake jumped off the spring, but he got no extra boost from it. They both made the sound effects at the same point, the spring appearing and Snake's jump noise, so honestly, I'm perplexed
It could have been a footstool shorthop (yes, they exist)... or a footstool>instant doublejump?

The second jump was much further away from Snake, as he was recovering at this point. No damage was recieved at any point during this fall. If it's a footstool jump, there was no animation of it ever happening. In addition, any time I find myself victim of a footstool jump, I'm generally unable to do anything for a few moments. So I'm not entirely sure that was it.
Also, it's been mentioned before, but the only times that you get 'stunned' by a footstool jump is when you're in an "idle" non-attack state- that is, floating/mid-jump (empty hop), 'airtrip', running, walking, standing. From the spring, Sonic has some weird graphic with a creepy smile, and as you can tell, he has invincibility frames at the beginning of this state, and little horizontal control until you cancel it with an aerial or an airdodge. You CAN get footstooled from that without being stunned. I've done double spring jumps a few times as well, so I know from experience, too.

;_; after watching a bunch of double spring videos, it's most likely a footstool jump if your opponent was:
- in melee range / adjacent to Sonic
- above Sonic
- jumping/rising before and/or after the first spring [meaning if your opponent was falling the whole time, maybe you did something that wasn't related to a FSJ]

~Sonic Boom~

Smash Rookie
When Sonic Up-B'd, Snake jumped slightly after, and only slightly. If Sonic has frames in which he can't be budged while using his spring (I don't get hit often while using it, so it beats me.) then it's a good possibility that it was infact a footstool hop of some kind.

If anyone still wants to see it to be sure, be my guest, honestly, the thing was much to close for me to tell.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, speaking from experience of uh... dying... to... ledgehogs, you generally CANNOT footstool someone in dodge frames. I am pretty sure that Sonic's 'invincibility' during up-B is dodge frames. However, he is vulnerable as he creates the spring, and for the 1-2 frames that he spends standing on it, before he jumps. That's probably the moment you got footstooled, since you said that Snake seemed to be doing a jump off of Sonic's spring.

And if not...

Also, it's been mentioned before, but the only times that you get 'stunned' by a footstool jump is when you're in an "idle" non-attack state- that is, floating/mid-jump (empty hop), 'airtrip', running, walking, standing. From the spring, Sonic has some weird graphic with a creepy smile, and as you can tell, he has invincibility frames at the beginning of this state, and little horizontal control until you cancel it with an aerial or an airdodge. You CAN get footstooled from that without being stunned. I've done double spring jumps a few times as well, so I know from experience, too.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I dunno what all this "the well is running dry" stuff is. Sonic keeps getting better as time goes on so I don't see that that's the case at all.

Sonic's improved metagame notwithstanding, there has still been no actual double up-b (without a footstool). So stop asking already.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
That's what it always is, no matter how weird it is, and improbable... this will be found to be a fsj. But someone SHOULD take a look anyway. Just to be sure... I guess...

::le sigh::

I really want it to be true and I can't even think it is for a moment.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
do i have to post another video...? this is what my friends did one night:

MK vs sonic (tech practice match)

mk FSJ sonic as sonic does up-b. over, and over, and over, and over.

they were able to go from ground level of FD, and repeat this process about 6 or 7 times, until one or both of them died of ceiling deaths, they did it atleast 3 times. and sonic never used any moves except repeated springs. mk only used FSJ's

does this not sum up how sonic can do multiple springs? and i also already posted a video in which this happens once at the end of the video.

Sonic got FSJ'd during the first up b, and after that he was able to up-b again (0%) and no one even FSJ'd him after his first Up-B was done executing.

Top Bottom