• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So the King is back. Changes to his move-set?

Do you want Kind Dedede's move-set to change?

• Total voters

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash

So its official that King Dedede is back!
Although Its great to see him in HD with all his great new facial expressions, but even with all the screenshots no new moves where shown off.
Which brings me to my question...

Would you be happy with his move-set being similar to his brawl move-set was? Or should he get some new moves?
If you want new move's introduced into his

move set, do you have any ideas for what those moves could be?
DISCUSS!

Last edited:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
DDD was built pretty true to character. admittedly not my favorite character in Brawl, but the only thing i would maybe change is his forward B move. i get why he throw Waddle Dees, i just think something else would be better in its place.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dedede's Brawl moveset is perfect for him imo. Especially the Waddle Dee Throw, it's just like him to throw his own minions around like they're tools, and it's a pretty damn good move in general.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly Dedede had a really cool moveset. I don't think anything really needs to change.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
No matter what happens, all the references to the first game have to stay. Way back then, Dedede was one of the most unstoppable things I'd ever dealt with in a game. I don't have very many memories that can compare to when I first beat him. Every time I see his dash attack, I think back to that fight. And that music. THAT MUSIC.

Getting all nostalgic over here. Boss battles just aren't what they used to be.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
DDD was built pretty true to character. admittedly not my favorite character in Brawl, but the only thing i would maybe change is his forward B move. i get why he throw Waddle Dees, i just think something else would be better in its place.
Why doesn't waddle dee toss make sense? I mean he's a king after all and have minions that serve him 24/7. That's like one of his moves that make complete sense for him to use.

Hong

The Strongest
The most well designed newcomer in Brawl. I can't help but feel Sakurai had been waiting for a long time to finally add him, and it shows.

Some moves can see some tweaks in the way of properties (damage, launch power, etc.), though the concepts should remain the same. Down throw is probably a good start.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Why doesn't waddle dee toss make sense? I mean he's a king after all and have minions that serve him 24/7. That's like one of his moves that make complete sense for him to use.
i never said it doesnt make sense. just that i would prefer something else.

Morbi

Scavenger
I didn't even realize Dedede was so popular. It is funny how no one mentioned how well designed he was until after his Smash 4 reveal. Curious.

Anyways, he is one of the my least used characters in Brawl as he wasn't too fun to me. He wasn't very practical compared to other big characters in FFA. However, I will deliberately play Dedede for a couple of hours keeping in mind all of the technical aspects of his moves and how they contribute to his individual tech, and return with a more practiced opinion. As it stands now, I do believe that most characters should have refined move-sets. It has been almost 6 years now, it is time for a change.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I didn't even realize Dedede was so popular. It is funny how no one mentioned how well designed he was until after his Smash 4 reveal. Curious.

Anyways, he is one of the my least used characters in Brawl as he wasn't too fun to me. He wasn't very practical compared to other big characters in FFA. However, I will deliberately play Dedede for a couple of hours keeping in mind all of the technical aspects of his moves and how they contribute to his individual tech, and return with a more practiced opinion. As it stands now, I do believe that most characters should have refined move-sets. It has been almost 6 years now, it is time for a change.
I remember talking to a Dedede main who was praising how good he was. I think he mentioned his air-game was one of his best aspects, being as he's a heavy/big character with multiple (over 2 lol) jumps (dat b-air doh :awesome:).

The only things I'd want changed are his A combo and forward tilt. His A combo is so easily escaped (usually giving the opponent a free hit) and I feel the f-tilt would be better suited as a 3-hit move.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
There are a lot of characters who need moveset changes... and Dedede is not one of them.
His moveset was near to perfect if you ask me: very true to his character.

So no, I don't feel as if any change is necessary.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
His moveset was really great imo, I would just like a different down B because it was clearly too situational, and maybe a faster side B.

D

Deleted member

Kind Dedede? Kind might be the last word to describe him. :p

Anyways, I don't think that King Dedede's moveset needs any drastic changes. It definitely works for him that I can't see him get new animations and such like Bowser did. However, I hope that they look into changing his chain grab or extremely nerf it.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Fix the chain grabs, maybe add more enemy variety to his side b (scarfies) and the rest you can leave alone.
I think that's really all.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Seems like the majority of people like the way he plays.. minus his chain grab. Personally, I'd like to see a different jab attack or a different f-tilt. But, I have to agree with the majority here. His move set is pretty good as it is.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
The only one issue I have with Dedede that i'd change would be his neutral-B Inhale move. It feels very lazy and unnecessary, especially when the inhaling thing is more attributed to Kirby than it is to Dedede. I'd personally change his neutral-B move to the chargeable spinning hammer swing from Kirby 64, or something along those lines. Preferably something that does a mini-projectile shockwave or something. Seeing as how we've not seen his inhale yet either, it's still a possibility that it was changed. Wouldn't be the end of the world if it stayed, but it'd be a welcome change in my books.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Keep his utilt, ftilt, bair, dtilt, and chain grabs! But not really to the last.
I doubt significant changes since most everything he does you can say, "Hey, he does that in the Kirby games!" but it'd be cool to see minor differences.

If his final smash isn't changed, they should at least make it more interactive. Dedede had a final smash that was more fun to dodge then it was to use. Once you pressed B you could basically set the controller down and wait. They could let the player control the general direction the Waddle Dees run with the analog stick. That would improve it immensely.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Make his Chain Grab work on low % only, like 0 - 30, and he's ready to go.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I find his Neutral Special neat, and has some uses.
His Down-Special though.....

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
The only thing I would like to change is his Down B. It can be replaced with the tornado attack when in Masked DeDeDe mode. You can charge just like the current attack to make it more powerful or extend it.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
I'd very much like to trade his N-Special in for something less...awful.
His Neutral special can be good if he can shoot opponents very far. Shooting an opponent to a wall can damage like in kirby super star ultra.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
No Return of the King jokes?!

Also, get rid of the damn chaingrab and DDD is fine.

I also think that Sakurai could take a lesson from - prepare for it - Brawl Minus here. Him being able to order his non-suicidal minions (B move called the DDDecree) is a pretty cool, unique and interesting mechanic. Perhaps not thematic, since I know nothing about DDD as a character.

Thoughts?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Make his down throw have a flatten effect like Bowser's(rather then shooting the enemy to the side) and buff Jet Hammer.

Bam, all the changes needed.

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
I'm entirely fine with his moveset except for his down special which like others said is just situational and slow.

Top Bottom