• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what about Japan Smash ?

Irsic

Smash Ace
Their list differs so much holywow. It has some obvious similarities but it has some big differences too.

Are there European/Australian tier lists as well?

Everence

Smash Apprentice
australians pretty much follow the US one. Shaya is doing some sort of ranking system based off ankoku's formula or something. maybe he could shed a few words on it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
in the KebutaboX vids, i can't help but notice how poor the Dededes are compared to here. I am shocked by how low the king is on the tier list, too.

they have a thing called honor where they won't chaingrab/infinite 24/7 like most american players.

they play to win respect

BentoBox

Smash Master
How recent is that ._.

they have a thing called honor where they won't chaingrab/infinite 24/7 like most american players.

they play to win respect
Do you know this from first hand experience or are you just going by popular opinion ._.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Lol, to be quite honest, I play more like the Japanese players than anything. I'm more of a speed/offensive minded player.

Drecker

Smash Ace
ITT broad sweeping generalizations about how an entire nation plays Smash Bros. based on ONE old Fox v. Falco video where the ****ty players blindly shorthopped nairs at each other as fast as possible for three minutes. Sad but true.
That sounds AWESOME.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

they play to win respect
That is complete and absolute bull. After taking an entire class on Japanese "honor," I can assure you that what you said there isn't true at all.

The real reason that the Japanese metagame isn't as far along as our own is because the Japanese don't play Smash for money. Because that's illegal in their country. So there aren't nearly as many tournaments, nor is there as much incentive to get good.

ADHD

Smash Hero
That is complete and absolute bull. After taking an entire class on Japanese "honor," I can assure you that what you said there isn't true at all.

The real reason that the Japanese metagame isn't as far along as our own is because the Japanese don't play Smash for money. Because that's illegal in their country. So there aren't nearly as many tournaments, nor is there as much incentive to get good.
Was it like that for melee?

∫unk

Smash Master
Samurai or probably anyone here doesn't really know japanese culture so please don't try (this is coming from a halfie that knows both sides and grew up in Japan for his childhood).

But Samurai is correct on why there aren't many tournies/metagame isn't as advanced. There's a few other reasons (such as the intense study-focused childhood/adolescence lifestyle) but none that I feel too motivated to get into detail right now.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
There's a few other reasons (such as the intense study-focused childhood/adolescence lifestyle) but none that I feel too motivated to get into detail right now.
I don't think that's very valid considering Japan's dominance in most competitive fighting games.

Top Bottom