• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...what IS a N00b?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I've been thinking that with all of the so-called "casual gamers" out there who play smash, the smash forums should have some way of defining the differences between what a real smasher is, and what a nubzor is. Obviously, such a word can be interpreted into many facets: one who is new to "advanced techniques," one who has not developed an inner sense of myndgaymz, one who says that wavedashing is "hard-omfg," or one who just plain thinks CF is cheap "cos of teh falcon punch and falcon kick so-hard-to-see-coming."

How do you define a smash nuub? And why is your definition valid?

I'll start:

One who says that edgehogging is cheap and refuses to edgehog because of its gamebreakage. Really, edgehogging is not gamebreaking because if nintendo wanted 2 ppl to hang on the ledge, they would have probably implemented that feature in ssb64, melee, or even brawl by now if they had seen it as cheap.

If this thread gets enough activity, I will compile your [good] responses into a list that *officially* defines what a /\/00|3 is and post in at the front of the thread.

Make it hot...

leefan

Smash Cadet
hm... a noob is a player who thinks that C stick is ********
a noob is a player who tries to make stupid tier lists based on stupid criteria
a noob is a player who thinks roy is better than marth because his up B has fire
a noob is a player who thinks they can beat anyone just because they beat some stupid neighbor
and
a noob is a player who makes pointless topics in smash boards
a noob is a player who responds to pointless topics in smash boards

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
A noob is one, regardless of skill level, calls other people noobs without explanation. (takes one to know one.)

A noob in one, regardless of skill level, who chooses to stick to gaming morals ( not doning WD's SHFFLS ect. . .)and calles it cheap when another person beats them using advanced techniques. (Hey, if you don't use it, don't be mad if other people do. Personally I dont, but I'm ok because I know I'll get beaten when people do.)

A noob is one, regardless of skill level, insults and harrasses others to make himself feel better. (That's just noobish. lol)

In My opinion, noobs arn't based on skill level. There are New players, who haven't grasped the basic elements of smash yet, but noobs are the ones that refuse to listen and verbally attack others because they can't stand being wrong.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
a noob is someone who plays or thinks in a way that hinders them from unlocking their potential.

usually new and casual players are noobs, but Alot of veteran players are noobs as well.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
A n00b is a level 9 CPU XDDDDD
K, Now ill get serious
A noob is someone who is new to the game and has not grabbed the basic skills yet
A noob is someone who cries and yells at people for losing
A noob who is god among his friends, and his friends lose to lv.4 CPUs
A noob is someone who just doesnt get what he should do
A noob uses Luigi Against Sheik..... LOL

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I've been thinking that with all of the so-called "casual gamers" out there who play smash, the smash forums should have some way of defining the differences between what a real smasher is, and what a nubzor is. Obviously, such a word can be interpreted into many facets: one who is new to "advanced techniques," one who has not developed an inner sense of myndgaymz, one who says that wavedashing is "hard-omfg," or one who just plain thinks CF is cheap "cos of teh falcon punch and falcon kick so-hard-to-see-coming."

How do you define a smash nuub? And why is your definition valid?

I'll start:

One who says that edgehogging is cheap and refuses to edgehog because of its gamebreakage. Really, edgehogging is not gamebreaking because if nintendo wanted 2 ppl to hang on the ledge, they would have probably implemented that feature in ssb64, melee, or even brawl by now if they had seen it as cheap.

If this thread gets enough activity, I will compile your [good] responses into a list that *officially* defines what a /\/00|3 is and post in at the front of the thread.

Make it hot...
Dude, what in god's name inspired you to make this thread?

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
A noob is one who yells at you for knowing your main inside and out
A noob is one who thinks link and samus are the best characters in the game because of their extended grab
A noob is one whos name is anthony
A noob is one who thinks they can become pro just by playing the game

Rex+

Smash Ace
A noob thinks Roy is worlds better than Marth.
A noob thinks edgehogging is cheap.
A noob complains when you beat him.
A noob trash talks you.
A noob spams the same move over and over.
A noob thinks Jigglypuff's Rest Combo should be banned.
And finally...
A noob will challenge you to a rematch.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
a noob uses the same move repeatedly but to no avail.
a noob hates the cstick.
a noob believes that wavedashing is for losers who cant play the game "correctly".
a noob loves roy to an obsessive extent and will do anything to defend his good name.
a noob will play roy.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Everybody says noobs think Roy is better than. I thought Roy was better than Marth until pretty recently.

Also, I grasp the concept of the game (win at all costs), and I'm able to wavedash, though I never really use it in matches (except to grab ledges to edgehog) and I can't L-Cancel consistently, and I hardly ever practice so I still suck. I mean, I beat most of the people I play with, but I'd be wasted by all serious players. Am I a noob? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Everybody says noobs think Roy is better than. I thought Roy was better than Marth until pretty recently.

Also, I grasp the concept of the game (win at all costs), and I'm able to wavedash, though I never really use it in matches (except to grab ledges to edgehog) and I can't L-Cancel consistently, and I hardly ever practice so I still suck. I mean, I beat most of the people I play with, but I'd be wasted by all serious players. Am I a noob? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
you, my friend, are at a crossroads: i was in your shoes about 6 months ago; i thought i was really good because i beat most of the ppl around me, i wavedashed pretty consistently with the "easy WD'ers" (luigi mario marth etc) the few times that i attempted to, and I didnt really grasp how to shffl well. HOWEVER, my mindset had been adapted to studying the boards and youtube videos for new techniques and strategies; judging by your post count, you seem to surf the boards quite a bit (unless all you do all day is talk about how cheap sonic will be in the Brawl section), and you seem to have the mindset of an experienced player. Therefore, I conclude that n00b is a mindset in addition to lack of skill and/or knowledge.

Add that aspect into your comments concerning teh nubz

brg

Smash Ace
what is noob?

baby dont hurt me,
dont hurt me,
no more

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
hm... a noob is a player who thinks that C stick is ********
a noob is a player who tries to make stupid tier lists based on stupid criteria
a noob is a player who thinks roy is better than marth because his up B has fire
a noob is a player who thinks they can beat anyone just because they beat some stupid neighbor
and
a noob is a player who makes pointless topics in smash boards
a noob is a player who responds to pointless topics in smash boards
dude nice definitions this is FOR THE WIN.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Dude, what in god's name inspired you to make this thread?
A good question indeed: besides what i said in the original post [about contemplating the definition of n00b], I was actually thinking about a cousin of mine (cant remember how old he is...about 28-30 yrs range) with whom ive been playing ssb64 and melee since they both were released. about 10 months ago (dec) a few months after i learned about adv tech (OMG SHINED BLIND! CAN-FOX-RLY-DO-TAHT?) I challenged him to a smash match thinking "ima ken combo, waveshine, shuffle, pillar, desynch-wobble dis foo to show him how nub he is." Subsequently, I lost a few times falling prey to the curse of a fastfalling fox and the horrors of a peach d-smash spammer (his sister). After reliving this wretched memory, I concluded that I, too, must have been a noob not to understand why I lost given that I knew about these "advanced techniques." Nevertheless, my cousin HAD to have been a noob; after all, he didnt even know what a wavedash was. So, where do we draw the line? That's what moved me to create this topic.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
When it first came about, it was a negative term for people who were ignorant or stubborn or who made a lot of mistakes; whether they were actually a newbie didn't matter.As you can see from the previous responses, some people still use the term that way (probably most people).

But nowadays a lot of people think it's just another word for "newbie" and don't mean anything bad by it.

I tend to stick to the original definition, myself, because we already have a word for "newbie". And that's newbie.

AXE 09

Smash Master
what is noob?

baby dont hurt me,
dont hurt me,
no more
lol man i haven't heard that song in forever!

hmmm... honestly i don't even know what a noob is. at first i thought it was someone who doesn't know how to do advanced moves, or someone who can't execute advanced moves whenever they desire. for example, to do a wave dash, a noob would grab their controller, stare at it, and concentrate really hard for at least a few seconds before they can do a wave dash

but after learning advanced moves, people still get called noobs o.O. so now i think that noobs are people who call others noobs lol. but i'm still not sure, but i kinda just stick with that moral for now

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Do noobs really pick Roy a lot?

I happen to think noobs pick Link a lot more just because he is "cool". They also spam his up B immensely...

Pou

Smash Rookie
I don't think that players who suck are noobs. If they admit that they suck, start training so they can get better and are able to see where did they make a mistake, they are not noobs. A real noob is someone that beats everyone around him, and when they go to a small competition and loses to someone who plays better, he just can't admit that he is not good, and refuses to train to get better or to search for the possible mistakes that he did in the fight.
Like myself a couple weeks ago. I live in a small town, and even before knowing the existance of advanced techiniques, i was the best smasher of my town. So i went to a small competition in a bigger city, and i lost in my second match. I mean, i was stuck at rolling and spot dodges and the guy was wavedashing and i don't know how he dropped a bomb ( he was playing as samus ) and suddendly he was at the other side of final destination =P
I started to search for good matches in the internet and look for forums and stuff, and now i'm starting to train with wavedashes, SHFFLC and some other advanced techniques. I'm starting to wavedash easily, and my only problem in shuffling is the short hop =P
Am i a noob? Of course not. I recognize other people capacity, and i also recognize mine. I know that if i train hard i can get better than before, and i might even defeat a pro someday. And as a non-noob, i know that this kind of stuff comes with a lot of practice. Noobs just doesn't think like that. They don't pratice hard. They beat two lvl 9 CPU at the same time and thinks "OMFGZ0R! I PRO MASTAH >:D". And if someone beats him... "HES THA NOOB! HE WAS BUG ABUSING, WAVEDASH IS A BUG!!"

And that's my opinion xD~

Jammer

Smash Lord
Therefore, I conclude that n00b is a mindset in addition to lack of skill and/or knowledge.

Add that aspect into your comments concerning teh nubz
Wait, so what you're saying is that you feel I'm not a noob because I don't have a noobish mindset?

You lost me on the sentence I quoted you with.

PeeP

Smash Apprentice
N00Bs are players who have any sense of "honor" while playing
N00Bs are players that get 4stocked 4 times in a row and john about it
N00BS are players that claim that they can beat any1
and finally...
N00Bs are players that suck really really badly and then call other people N00Bs.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Noob
The game defintion of noob is usually someone, often in online games who acts in offensive ways to other users or people that surround them and refuse to go away, or by any other methods for the sole purpose of annoying others. Noob is also referred to as a everyday offensive word used by people to offend others or to refer to people who act offensively.

Newb
Noob is also considered a relatively new person to a game that is inexperienced and doesn't know what they are doing. This term is often addressed as newb(Newbie) however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom