• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So who else uses Control Stick to jump?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I've been playing Smash competitively for about a year and a half, and I've never met another player who jumps with the Control Stick. Its always felt natural for me. Anyone else here use it with success?

Despite learning the "one handed moonwalk" I still use the Y button for wavedashing, as well as jumping out of moonwalks (CF main) but thats it. I can SHFFL every move with as much accuracy as anyone i've played. Just wondering if I'm the only one, it sure feels like it.

Fletch

Smash Master
This topic gets made all the time, but you're not even close to the only one. Persoanlly, I use the stick, but only for full jumping, I need Y and X for all short-hopping/shuffling/WDing, etc.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I use the Control Stick to jump. I also use the 'Y' button to short hop and do other techniques (short hop laser, SHFFL, etc.)

smashknight91

Smash Cadet
I'm a mix between both. I wavedash with the control stick, and I do most of everything else with the y button. I use to completely use the control stick only, but I've found out that using the buttons the jump helps a lot when shffling.

waffu

Smash Cadet
I used to use control stick for every jump but had to switch to do easier short hops. Now I use Y more often but the stick every now and then.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
I didn't realize there were so many y jumpers. I use x and, for no good reason, have always assumed most other people use it too.

D

Deleted member

My friend uses stick for every jump he makes... and plays Falcon... and fails at comboing because of it... I only use the stick to jump if I'm going to do an Uair...

GOTM

Smash Champion
i use it for uairs....thats about it....

sometimes when i feel like double jump camping or something i will, but yeah, beyond these two things not much

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Element of Wind (EoW) uses the control stick to jump... and he mains Ganondorf.

Oh man, I REALLY wish I could've seen that match where EoW beat SuperDoodleMan's Peach in a tournament match... and not only does EoW use the control stick to jump, he doesn't wavedash or L-Cancel his moves... as GANONDORF...

Needless to say, it was an uproar. Man, I miss EoW... I haven't heard from him since the beginning of summer.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I've only ever used the X button, since the day I picked up Melee. And I used C-Right or whatever it was to jump in Smash 64.

I have never used the Control Stick to jump, ever. I don't know why, though...I just started with the buttons.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Man it would of been better if you said analog Not control stick. i thought was talking about the c-stick. no i dont jump with analog. i jump with the y button

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
it was the way i learned how to play smash. It works well for me. I can go from jumping to an a directed air attack fast. I don't feel like changing it for brawl either. I will use the GC controller and still use the control stick.

Xela

Smash Rookie
Control stick is a bit hard for me to short jump so i never really use it. Only when i play single button melee with people who never seen what that is. I like the x button so i can immediately do an air attack.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i use the stick for somethings, like canceling shines, both FJ and SH because it's much faster, also for SHDL.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
WD with the control stick is possible, but a bit awkward. 1 hand wavedash is just something to impress noobs with :) Shorthopping with Control Stick isnt as hard as you might think. Its just shifting the direction of the stick from the gate directly to the right, to the gate right above it. Do this fast enough and you get an easy short hop.

85% of the time my left hand is on the Control stick and my right hand on the C Stick. I do smashes and aeriels with the C stick. I take my hand off the C Stick when I need to do a jab/neutral air, or wavedash or jump out of moonwalk.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I use Y to jump pretty much all the time. One example of using the control stick to jump is if I'm Fox on Dreamland, and someone is on one of the lower platforms above me. I hit up on the control stick and press A for an up aerial. That makes the UpA come out and hit at the perfect height, rather than jumping with Y and pressing Up+A and risking accidentally double jumping.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
WD with the control stick is possible, but a bit awkward. 1 hand wavedash is just something to impress noobs with :) Shorthopping with Control Stick isnt as hard as you might think. Its just shifting the direction of the stick from the gate directly to the right, to the gate right above it. Do this fast enough and you get an easy short hop.

85% of the time my left hand is on the Control stick and my right hand on the C Stick. I do smashes and aeriels with the C stick. I take my hand off the C Stick when I need to do a jab/neutral air, or wavedash or jump out of moonwalk.
Yes, but can you 1-handed wavedash over and over? EoW could do the control stick wavedash... albiet only one wavedash like that :p

I couldn't get something like that down if my life depended upon it... I can't even waveshine... (then again, my mains are Jiggly then Peach, so I don't really use spacies... only Falco because I recently learned how to SHL XD)

Sliq

Smash Master
I've been playing Smash competitively for about a year and a half, and I've never met another player who jumps with the Control Stick. Its always felt natural for me. Anyone else here use it with success?

Despite learning the "one handed moonwalk" I still use the Y button for wavedashing, as well as jumping out of moonwalks (CF main) but thats it. I can SHFFL every move with as much accuracy as anyone i've played. Just wondering if I'm the only one, it sure feels like it.

Top Bottom