• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS So, Who's Your Favorite in the Demo?

Who's your favorite in the demo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
I've been playing as Villager the most, even though I had no interest in maining him before the demo. I've also been playing as Mega Man a lot, too. Still don't know if I'm going to play either of them when the full game comes out.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Link for me. While I'm still not fully used to his new dash attack, it feels so great when it lands. Plus, he just plays much better than he did in Brawl making it even more fun to use him.

Villager is a very close second though. His moveset is a great tribute to Animal Crossing although I'll need more experimenting to really master it. I'm not sure I'll actually end up maining him though as it seems like there's a level of complexity to him with that will take more time to overcome than I'll be willing to invest.

I was a bit disappointed by Mega Man as his specials are just sort of mediocre. His smash attacks and some of his aerials are a lot of fun though, but I'm pretty sure he won't end up being as used as I was expecting.

I've only tried Pikachu and Mario once, but Pikachu felt pretty great. The person I played most in Melee and Brawl was a Pikachu main, so while I don't play Pikachu much, I know my way around its moveset. Thunder seems to behave a bit differently but otherwise Pikachu seems like it will be above average like it usually is. Mario seems pretty similar as well, but I just don't use his specials much since FLUDD is super situational, I tend to mistime the cape, up B is really easy to punish, and fireballs aren't too helpful in a two minute time match. As a result, I tend to fall into a rut with him, and I used him when I was still adjusting to the controls, so I didn't find him that fun. I'll give him another shot later, but of the demo 5, I'd rank him at the bottom. Once all the characters are available, he'll probably be closer to the middle of my rankings.

I've heard pocket can take Link's Final Smash. Is this true?
No. What it can does do though is it gives Villager a few seconds of invincibility. While pocketing a final smash would be awesome, this is actually just as interesting for a different reason. Basically when Villager uses the move he is untouchable. This coupled with just how much range the move actually has (you can pocket projectiles almost a body length away from him) it makes the move insanely safe to use and insane in general.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Link followed by Mega Man for his unique play and because SHORYUKEN!

Then Pikachu, probably Villager - haven't played as them yet -, and Mario. I just can't seem to find Mario's rhythm.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
No. What it can does do though is it gives Villager a few seconds of invincibility. While pocketing a final smash would be awesome, this is actually just as interesting for a different reason. Basically when Villager uses the move he is untouchable. This coupled with just how much range the move actually has (you can pocket projectiles almost a body length away from him) it makes the move insanely safe to use and insane in general.

Sooo.....superguard? Or something completely better?

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Mario's probably the one I'm best with, but I don't like him as a character, so I'm going with Mega Man. Amazing short hop back air approaches and edgeguards, Metal Blade spam, the most fun meteor smash ever, the series' only upward gimp, Mega Buster potshots, and a great lingering up smash with high priority.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Villager is shockingly good. I was expecting him to be awkward and difficult to use, but he's quite effective. I love his very unusual aerials, and the tree can be devastating if used properly.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345

Oh stupid me there was a vid right under my nose.
pikachu has a crazy combo game surprisingly
Those up-tilts are so great!

Last edited:

Spirst

Villager and Mario for me. Villager is an eccentric character but I feel it fits him perfectly. I really appreciate the love that went into making him. The sound effects and animations are spot-on from Animal Crossing and overall, he's really fun to use.

Mario is pretty easy to chain moves with and so it gives me a sense of satisfaction. I'm not a huge fan of the character but his Sm4sh incarnation feels pretty solid.

Link is definitely a lot better now. He no longer feels like a dead-weight sack of crap and can actually hold his own. The tethering boost is a godsend and his sped up f-smash is definitely appreciated. Now, when I use him, I don't feel like each second offstage could very well be my last.

I haven't played Pikachu much. From the times I did use him, I didn't note anything too significant. I'll probably use him more often now since he's been neglected so much.

Honestly, I don't dig Mega Man so much. He's just not the kind of character I gravitate towards. I like the efforts that went into constructing his character overall but I'm just not keen on his playstyle. I've never been a close fan of his series either so yeah.

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Link without a doubt, the faster rhytm of his attacks is a real help, the new dash attack is wonderful and finally the tether is useful...

Villager is really fun, a ridicolous horizontal and vertical recovery (the only secure way to kill him/her is star KO and vectoring helps with that), bizarre attacks, heh, I love the tree :grin:

Yasumi

Smash Rookie
Link.

I played a little as Mario, before I realized that I'm just so used to Project M Link that I didn't feel like playing much of Mario.

I remember reading on Reddit that Marth was nerfed a little, so I might main Link if I don't like Marth.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Mega Man. I'm having way more fun with him than I thought I would.
I'm probably the only one here who doesn't like Villager right now.
Also, does Link feel floatier than usual? Mario and Pikachu feel fine but Link feels a little floaty. Is that just me?

infersaime

Smash Rookie
Link for me. I'm really like his changes. Which makes me wonder if Toon Link has positive changes aswell. :)
Megaman is probably my second favourite.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
It's Villager for me. The unpredictability of his moveset truly makes him a force to be reckoned with, and it wouldn't surprise me if he made it to a high tier once the full game comes out.

Bozeefus

Smash Rookie
I'm really both loving and appreciating the Link buffs, haven't seen Link be THIS good since smash 64. It's good to see he's got that "OG" playstyle. Megaman/Mario I would say is second. I really do like Mario alot but Megaman seems to make me cringe at times, his moveset will take some time learn.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Mega Man all the way! He's really fun to play as. xD

Just wait until I get the full version and play as Rosalina the whole time. ;)

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I'll go with link, always liked playing with him and it's good to see he got the buffs he needed from his brawl counterpart

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I have played with Link the most because he was my 64/melee main. I am so glad that he is not trash like he was in Brawl. His tweaks made me love playing as him again. I really love Villager as well. His moves are so fun to pull off. I like Megaman but I will need to practice with him. I suck with Mario and Pikachu as always though lol.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Villager: his moveset is the best of the 5 and he's very unique.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
Villager is the best. But that's probably because the other characters in comparison are... eh. I think the Demo has too many restrictions for being a before game demo imo.

Vini300

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vini3000
I guess it's Megaman for me. I like his playstyle a LOT, especially the mixups you can do with his down-tilt. And his aerials are simply too good. I just can't wait to play the final version online.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Villager. His bowling ball is my everything
Despite his range.......but it is powerful.
Mega Man. I'm having way more fun with him than I thought I would.
I'm probably the only one here who doesn't like Villager right now.
Also, does Link feel floatier than usual? Mario and Pikachu feel fine but Link feels a little floaty. Is that just me?
Maybe they reduced his weight a little because of balance?
Mario and Villager for me.

Megaman is garbage unfortunately
I honestly agree with you. Megaman either sucks or people don't know how to use him properly.

From what i'm seeing, Link got the buff he deserved after what happened in brawl.

gamecrazy94

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamecrazy94
3DS FC
2320-6128-1064
I've heard that Megaman is weird to use. Well, at least to me, he's great to use!

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Megaman is my demo main. He's is awesome.
If anyone played megaman games, that is how he controls. He's either amazingly good or garbage. depends on the player.

Morbi

Scavenger
Link has been my definitive main in Smash 64 and Melee. I spent a lot of time with him in Brawl before dropping him for Toon Link and in Project M, he is my secondary behind only Ganondorf. I am extremely pleased with his buffs and he feels natural, reminiscent of previous incarnations even; however, I have to assert that Mario is the most fun from the demo. He is a combo-machine! I have never been interested in his character, in fact, he was one of my least favorite characters throughout Smash, but in this game, something is completely and utterly different.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Link, but Mario comes very close.

Link is so much better here than he was in Brawl. Faster start up in almost everything, his dair spike is awesome, his forward smash is a lot better (though because of the changed first strike it is a bit weird to get used to), his recovery 25x better than it was in Brawl, his tether is extremely useful as it removes lag from the air dodge and keeps his opponents away, his camping is still good (his bombs are extremely useful) and his KO potential is better.

Mario is also very good. His combos are awesome and much more effective and finishing your opponents with his fair is so satisfying.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've been using Villager the most.
I do like the other 4 characters, though, but I haven't used them as much. You can probably tell from my avatar why I like using Villager....

I also just like how he plays. Also, if you grow big, you can plant a giant tree, and it stays giant even if you shrink. Chop it down and make it fall on characters in front of it.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I honestly love all 5 of them, each with their unique feels and such. However, my personal favorite is definitely Link. He just feels so awesome this time around, and I love him for it. Oh, and dat jump slash. It is lovely.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Link has been my definitive main in Smash 64 and Melee. I spent a lot of time with him in Brawl before dropping him for Toon Link and in Project M, he is my secondary behind only Ganondorf. I am extremely pleased with his buffs and he feels natural, reminiscent of previous incarnations even; however, I have to assert that Mario is the most fun from the demo. He is a combo-machine! I have never been interested in his character, in fact, he was one of my least favorite characters throughout Smash, but in this game, something is completely and utterly different.
Link, but Mario comes very close.

Link is so much better here than he was in Brawl. Faster start up in almost everything, his dair spike is awesome, his forward smash is a lot better (though because of the changed first strike it is a bit weird to get used to), his recovery 25x better than it was in Brawl, his tether is extremely useful as it removes lag from the air dodge and keeps his opponents away, his camping is still good (his bombs are extremely useful) and his KO potential is better.

Mario is also very good. His combos are awesome and much more effective and finishing your opponents with his fair is so satisfying.
I honestly love all 5 of them, each with their unique feels and such. However, my personal favorite is definitely Link. He just feels so awesome this time around, and I love him for it. Oh, and dat jump slash. It is lovely.
Man, Link is getting some kick-a$$ respect around here.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
I started playing mostly as Mario but moved on to Villager. His smashes just pack a lot of punch and have a decent range to them, and due to his great recoveries you can really work on edge guarding. From what I played of Megaman I think he's strong but I feel like there are only a few good attacks of his that I like to use. I still don't like to play as Link, and Pikachu and Mario are a little too weak, but Pikachu is a pain to play against. The darn thing knows when to shield every time.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I started playing mostly as Mario but moved on to Villager. His smashes just pack a lot of punch and have a decent range to them, and due to his great recoveries you can really work on edge guarding. From what I played of Megaman I think he's strong but I feel like there are only a few good attacks of his that I like to use. I still don't like to play as Link, and Pikachu and Mario are a little too weak, but Pikachu is a pain to play against. The darn thing knows when to shield every time.
So does every CPU, right?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Villager. It didn't take too long to feel comfortable (ish, it is only a demo after all) playing as him.

I also liked playing Link. I haven't really gotten a hold on how Megaman plays though, he might not be for me.

Villager > Link > Pikachu > Mario > Megaman

Last edited:
Top Bottom