• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...

`M@rth`

Smash Rookie
So I picked up brawl the other day, and I am used to competive games, I played 3rd Strike,Mvc2,Tekken at a high level of play and enjoyed it but I got bored and am looking for something new and I did not like Soul Calibur 4 at all. So here I am!

I was playing all the characters and Marth seems to be the most like a reactive character. You have alot of moves that counter a specfic game mechanic so I choose him. is there a tier list for this game out? Cuz all I can find is speculation so far =(/

Anyway welcome me to the world of Marth and teach me what you know so I can rep this site/character board at all the events I will hopefully place in =D

Oh and hello

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Welcome to Smashboards! It's great to have another Marth amongst us.

You're right about how Marth works. I'd recommend at first taking a look at some of the stickied threads, and picking up the basics. Send me a message any time yo need anything.

lain

Smash Master
You'll want to check the brawl tactical discussion thread if you're just starting out--There's a lot of advanced techs.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Sup.

Just remember to use your head and common sense. If the opponent is behind you, attack behind. If the opponent is above you, attack above. Etc. Etc. If you know your opponent is going to attack, move away or counter him/her. Use short hops a lot. Avoid spamming smashes. Use Dancing Blade often.

I believe using Marth isn't all about stringing together a bunch of Advanced Techniques. He's more about common sense and predicting your opponent.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
There's no real official tier list, but it looks that marth will be in the high tier, just under the broken characters.

IDK

Smash Lord
go on gamefaqs for all the tier lists you can handle. watch out for the ones that are just chars listed in order or hopeful SSB4 rosters... just as a sort of heads up on whether it is real... it should have yoshi, captiain falcon, ganon, etc... pretty low... and some of the high ones are snake, MetaKnight, ROB, marth, falco... not sure but yeah... just look for them and see if they're about in those spots and you'll know if you're looking at a real list. i know there's ONE that's the most accepted... but i don't have the link.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
go on gamefaqs for all the tier lists you can handle. watch out for the ones that are just chars listed in order or hopeful SSB4 rosters... just as a sort of heads up on whether it is real... it should have yoshi, captiain falcon, ganon, etc... pretty low... and some of the high ones are snake, MetaKnight, ROB, marth, falco... not sure but yeah... just look for them and see if they're about in those spots and you'll know if you're looking at a real list. i know there's ONE that's the most accepted... but i don't have the link.
Prehaps your talking about this one?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183918

Just a wild guess lols. But that list pwns imo.

`M@rth`

Smash Rookie
Sc4 is really lame tbh i had such high expectations from it, whatever.

I had a friend over teach me some basic tactics, like if I know they are gonna sidestep then forward B will hit them, to grab alot and always hit once, to DI abit, its hard though =(

Anyway Im reading through the matchup threads and the "Must reads for Marth". Theres alot of stuff to remember o.O

Anyway quick question, Whats a Ken Combo?

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Sc4 is really lame tbh i had such high expectations from it, whatever.

I had a friend over teach me some basic tactics, like if I know they are gonna sidestep then forward B will hit them, to grab alot and always hit once, to DI abit, its hard though =(

Anyway Im reading through the matchup threads and the "Must reads for Marth". Theres alot of stuff to remember o.O

Anyway quick question, Whats a Ken Combo?
A Ken Combo is an fair to a dair. Sometimes there's a string of Fairs before the final spike. I'll pull up a youtube video in a moment - the tactic works decently well in Melee but almost never in Brawl.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJi0d-xcEM&feature=related

Don't make me find a Brawl version - Ken Combo's are nearly impossible.

null55

Smash Master
So you went from SC4 to this?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
Finally you got the japanese in your sig in place of that german nonsense before... It took me seven hours to figure out what the hell it said. Lol, and why don't you stop playing Brawl if you dislike it so much? (I believe you also said you never liked Melee either. And yet you're in a crew and you're perhaps the most reputable contributer to these boards? Oh, the irony.)

This is the closest thing we have to an official tier list: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183918

Mew2King is biased towards Dedede, though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Uhhh. I'm about to get out of Brawl.

Depends how soon I get my PS3.

Also that wasn't german nonsense before. It was the english translation of Marth's taunt.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
And all fighting games have flaws.

But Brawl is just a disgrace.

And the Ivy infinite will be patched by Namco so I'm not worried about it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Romanization, not English translation. "Everyone, watch me!" would be the English translation. : P

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
ROFL.

I mean I doubt I will leave the community for good. And it won't be for another few months anyway. I need to get a PS3 first.

null55

Smash Master
Lol, I know it wasn't German, I was just joking at what it looked like. I know what it meant as well... >_>

And SC2 was a great game (Mitsurugi w/Damascus *****...) I'll have to try SC4

TKD

Smash Lord
Play against good people and learn how to beat them. That's how you get good.

Marth is a great character.
The worst characters to play Marth against are Snake and Metaknight, I don't know much about Marth vs Snake, but MK's beatable. Those two matchups are the only bad matchups I've heard about for Marth, and actually, they're not that bad. Those characters have 60% in favor against Marth's 40% in the matchup.

Against MK save your fsmash. It needs to be fresh for it to be a KO move.

Tips:
1) Fresh fsmash at 110%+ near the stage's ending for KOs. If you couldn't pull it off, uptilt KOs at about 120%.
2) After blocking a move, unblocking and forwardB is your quickest counter.
3) Aerials are your damage source.
4) Baby steps. Marth doesn't do much damage at once. Do one forward air or one downtilt at a time until you get to where you want to get (it's very common to link two fairs together so if you can link stuff, do so).

I think that's it about Marth. By the way, Marth has this lucky thing where if you hit with the sword's tip, he does more damage. You had more of a handle over it in Melee but here it's more about luck.

Marth is not that popular. Possibly, only two characters have the upper hand on him (haven't heard about Marth vs Wario though), but the problem is he has too many EVEN matchups. It's not that bad though. If you play better than your opponent, you win even matchups.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Play against good people and learn how to beat them. That's how you get good.

Marth is a great character.
The worst characters to play Marth against are Snake and Metaknight, I don't know much about Marth vs Snake, but MK's beatable. Those two matchups are the only bad matchups I've heard about for Marth, and actually, they're not that bad. Those characters have 60% in favor against Marth's 40% in the matchup.

Against MK save your fsmash. It needs to be fresh for it to be a KO move.

Tips:
1) Fresh fsmash at 110%+ near the stage's ending for KOs. If you couldn't pull it off, uptilt KOs at about 120%.
2) After blocking a move, unblocking and forwardB is your quickest counter.
3) Aerials are your damage source.
4) Baby steps. Marth doesn't do much damage at once. Do one forward air or one downtilt at a time until you get to where you want to get (it's very common to link two fairs together so if you can link stuff, do so).

I think that's it about Marth. By the way, Marth has this lucky thing where if you hit with the sword's tip, he does more damage. You had more of a handle over it in Melee but here it's more about luck.

Marth is not that popular. Possibly, only two characters have the upper hand on him (haven't heard about Marth vs Wario though), but the problem is he has too many EVEN matchups. It's not that bad though. If you play better than your opponent, you win even matchups.
You don't play Marth much, do you?

Marth has a plethora of positive matchups. He does better against Snake then he does against MK, fair doesn't chain to itself unless your opponent doesn't dodge, and just because you don't have enough skill tip consistently, doesn't make it luck, lol.

Marth also have a negative matchup against R.O.B. and D3

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Welcome to the boards. One piece of info is to NOT ROLL ALOT. Random info is SC4 Ivy/Taki have the biggest breast in the game. And Sophitia(spelling sucks I know) is a harlot :) critical finish explains all. Btw Xanghua is a character who wasnt nerfed.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you play Marth, there is one thing you should know and only one thing you need to know.

Emblem Lord.
Not even Emblem Lord dying for my bad-spacing sins will save me from the hellish wrath of a god **** Metaknight.

Still, bad spacing sins are becoming less and less likely as I grow more wrinkles.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Xianghua was nerfed.

I don't even wanna get into what they did to one of my mains. It makes me cry inside.

Top Bottom