• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Kira-

Smash Champion
I've had this craving to play a solid RPG for awhile now. I realize that it would take too long to list out all the RPGs I've played and what I specifically liked about each one, so I'm basically just looking for a few suggestions based on your own opinion. Don't feel like you have to discriminate based on platform or other things either.

So far my brainstorming has got me to:
- Suikoden III (unfortunately the first two would be very difficult to find)
- Super Mario RPG
- Neverwinter Nights / Baldur's Gate
- Persona 3 (unless you need to play the first two to understand it)
- Brave Fencer Musashi (not a classic RPG but if it's good I'll play it)
- Earthbound

Feel free to suggest as many as you think are good, I'll simply quote your post and cross out the ones I have played already and comment on the rest.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Have you played Grandia or Grandia 2? I've only played the first one, which I liked a lot, but I've heard great things about the second one, as well.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Star Ocean Series
Grandia Series - great battle system, cheesy story line
Chrono Series

Kira-

Smash Champion
I haven't, but would you recommend that over the Lunar series? I think they're made by the same developer.

Tafo - Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG of all time and Chrono Cross was excellent as well, although it took me a bit to figure out how to manipulate the battle system optimally. What did you like about the Star Ocean series?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I've never played any of the Lunar games, so I don't know. I've played barely any RPGs, actually. The only ones I recall playing are Grandia, SMRPG, TTYD, and Earthbound. It's kind of odd that I never got into RPGs given that I really liked all of the ones that I played.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Haha, I've actually seen that series of commercials before. Segata Sanshiro comes and punishes you and your town with destruction for playing substandard games. The name is a pun of some Kurosawa something or other I think.

I was going to suggest the Grandia series before I saw anyone else's posts. Personally I think Grandia II is the best of the series. The battle system in later games is slightly more well-tuned but the story and characters in II are definitely better.

Also, I'd really suggest trying to track down a copy of Suikoden I. It should not be as hard to find or expensive as II. It's also only about 20 hours long for a first playthough but it's a really solid 20 hours and will be a good indicator of whether II and III are worth your time. IV sucks and V is mediocre.

Boss, any update on how much you want for those games?

D

Deleted member

Star Ocean 2 and Xenogears for ps1 is ****

Alundra for ps1 is pretty good also even though it isn't an rpg but it's pretty good

bbb

Smash Champion
hell nah, suikoden 3 was subpar just find a rom of 1 and 2, or just 2, and play that

way better

- Neverwinter Nights / Baldur's Gate
dope choices

- Persona 3 (unless you need to play the first two to understand it)
Persona 1 and 2 were confusing as **** and not that great in my opinion, although I never played 3, the first two were pretty much unrelated to each other so you should be fine

digital devil saga and nocturne **** though

also play dragon quest 1 2 and 3

and dragon warrior monsters

Kira-

Smash Champion
@ Fly
The original Paper Mario is incomparably better than TTYD. I can't say how good it is compared to SMRPG but yeah if you get the chance you'll most definitely like that one too.

Mass Effect is pretty cool. Havn't played the second one though. It's an action RPG, not your usual kind.
Yeah, Cameron has both of them, I played Dragon Age and thought it was **** but wanted to try something a little different.

I was going to suggest the Grandia series before I saw anyone else's posts. Personally I think Grandia II is the best of the series. The battle system in later games is slightly more well-tuned but the story and characters in II are definitely better.

Also, I'd really suggest trying to track down a copy of Suikoden I. It should not be as hard to find or expensive as II. It's also only about 20 hours long for a first playthough but it's a really solid 20 hours and will be a good indicator of whether II and III are worth your time. IV sucks and V is mediocre.
I'll definitely start on Grandia II, thanks. Just found a copy for $13 on eBay lol (inc shipping) so I'll probably be playing that soon.

As for Suikoden it'll have to wait a bit- but getting the first one sounds like a really good idea. Much cheaper =)

Star Ocean 2 and Xenogears for ps1 is ****

Alundra for ps1 is pretty good also even though it isn't an rpg but it's pretty good
Sadly I never got past the first 20 minutes of Xenogears because of how painfully slow the text moves. I always meant to go back and complete it because of how amazing everyone always says it is but at the time I couldn't bring myself to sludge through it =(

I watched my friend play Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for about 2 hours and was ridiculously bored of it. Obviously that wasn't the best installment but it ended up turning me away from the series. What was so good about them?

hell nah, suikoden 3 was subpar just find a rom of 1 and 2, or just 2, and play that

Persona 1 and 2 were confusing as **** and not that great in my opinion, although I never played 3, the first two were pretty much unrelated to each other so you should be fine

digital devil saga and nocturne **** though

also play dragon quest 1 2 and 3

and dragon warrior monsters
I see. I'd rather get the actual game, not that I'm a collector or anything, but when possible I'd like to give credit to whoever made it.

I'll check out the rest, thanks for your input on the Persona games. I hear good things about that series too but I'll save it for later.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Xenogears is amazing up to the 2nd disk.

then it just went soooo downhill. its so terrible, but everythign up to that was amazing.

pockyD

Smash Legend
because when people know they will be able to sell their used games for decent value, they are also more likely to buy the game the first time

debaser

Smash Lord
If you haven't played Earthbound, you really should just get that done. it's transcendent.

Persona 3 is is an okay game, kind of a weird marriage between trippy dungeon crawl and high school simulator that doesn't fit quite as well as it should. My main problem with it is that most of the stuff you do in that game is stuff you would be doing in real life if you weren't playing it.

My other suggestion would be to just play some enix games for the snes. terranigma and illusion of gaia and the like.

Kira-

Smash Champion
lol, if you are buying something from ebay or even used in a game store, how is that giving credit to whoever made the game?
ROMs are illegal unless you already own the game. Buying used games isn't.

If you haven't played Earthbound, you really should just get that done. it's transcendent.

Persona 3 is is an okay game, kind of a weird marriage between trippy dungeon crawl and high school simulator that doesn't fit quite as well as it should. My main problem with it is that most of the stuff you do in that game is stuff you would be doing in real life if you weren't playing it.

My other suggestion would be to just play some enix games for the snes. terranigma and illusion of gaia and the like.
Honestly I would play SM RPG before Earthbound, but yeah I was considering knocking those two out before starting on anything else.

Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia sound really good too, although I might just go with more classic RPGs since they're more popular and thus I will have a better chance of liking them. I think Grandia and SM RPG are gonna be first up, thanks for all your suggestions guys.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Illusion of Gaia is pretty good but it's kinda short and easy. Terranigma I have not yet played. I'd recommend playing SoulBlazer before those if you haven't already.

Star Ocean is alright but I wouldn't call it "solid." I really liked the story of Till the End of Time until about 2/3rds of the way through when they pulled some deus ex machina junk on you in an attempted plot twist. The character development system is neat though.

If you play any Dragon Quest game, play 4. It's a game in 5 chapters, the first 4 are mostly independent of one another, and the 5th one brings them all together. Lots of interesting side quests for an NES game, and definitely the best NES RPG to my mind. It's very expensive to get a copy though. Only play DQ1 for historical interest. You will probably be bored out of your mind otherwise.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
I've had this craving to play a solid RPG for awhile now. I realize that it would take too long to list out all the RPGs I've played and what I specifically liked about each one, so I'm basically just looking for a few suggestions based on your own opinion. Don't feel like you have to discriminate based on platform or other things either.

So far my brainstorming has got me to:
- Super Mario RPG

- Brave Fencer Musashi (not a classic RPG but if it's good I'll play it)

Feel free to suggest as many as you think are good, I'll simply quote your post and cross out the ones I have played already and comment on the rest.
super mario rpg is my favorite game of all time. its a mix of nostalgia goggles + solid gameplay. the music and sounds are really memorable and its just awesome.

you should just find a rom of suikoden 2 if you want to play it. somone has to have a gamepad you can borrow.

i played brave fencer once as a child and it was incredible. i recently played it as an adult and the game did not age well :(

have u played dark cloud 2?

Lovage

Smash Hero
fallout 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time

fallout 1 is really good too, and iirc they came out like a year after each other so they're pretty similar. i like them both a whole lot

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Despite the complete lack of story, I always like the gameplay from Quest 64.

The best rpg is the sample one in RPG Maker IMO

GSUB

Smash Lord
Quest 64!???!

I though I was the only one!!!
My first n64 game ever,
I only got it because TLoZ:OoT wasn't coming out for another week, and I was too impatient
so I got Quest64 instead.
But then I loved it, so
everything turned out better than expected :)

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
ok you guys are always like "baw why are supermods people who dont play smash." virj is trying to play so who's up to the challenge.

Top Bottom