• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
this is a classically terrible argument
Well I don't get how else to put it... I mean he says techskill is the key to dominating and I don't agree, not to mention theres plenty of very technical players, so I figured it's a legit example, why isnt it? Not disagreeing, just wondering.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Well I don't get how else to put it... I mean he says techskill is the key to dominating and I don't agree, not to mention theres plenty of very technical players, so I figured it's a legit example, why isnt it? Not disagreeing, just wondering.
I think what he means is, you can't get good without tech skill. Are there any good players without tech skill? That's a definite no.

And guess who has the best tech skill in the world? Mango.

I will probably get flamed for that.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I dunno, I think if that were true, wouldn't silent wolf be one of the best players in the world? There's alot of really technically players that don't dominate. I agree that effective, well used techskill can help alot in advancing, but I'd say there's alot more than techskill when it comes to being top.

Just look at that guy Dark. the fox. His techskill is the ****, some of the best i've ever, ever seen, but I wouldn't say hes anywhere near the best in the world. Just entertaining as hell to watch.

As for insanely smart, I don't see where that's shown yet. 1\
duh .

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I think what he means is, you can't get good without tech skill. Are there any good players without tech skill? That's a definite no.

And guess who has the best tech skill in the world? Mango.

I will probably get flamed for that.
Well if that's what he means that I have no reason to argue, cause that's an obvious requirement. Just seemed like he meant amazing techskill is what makes the player. & i dunno if i agree with that.

MarthPwnzer-

Smash Apprentice
Tech skill doesn't only mean speed and flashy tricks. Like adam pointed out its also being able to punish, and amazing tech skill is also being able to space attacks perfectly. DI great, and able to read your opponents consistently.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
P said:
well, punishing, but you can't punish well without tech skill.

the twins have as good as tech skill as anyone. and they're obviously insanely smart.
RadReedy said:
having good tech skill means you can generally punish harder, combo better, have better and more varied options, etc. It doesn't make you inherently better than everyone else, but tech skill opens up doors for you
I'm confused to why you'd disagree with P and then agree with Brian. Seems like they're getting at the same thing. It IS necessary to have tech skill to play well (in this case to punish effectively), but P didn't say they'd dominate just because they had tech skill.

Seems like the whole rectangle-square thing. Seems like this "Dark" guy is a rectangle. Being a square is where it's at.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
The only reason this rule doesn't apply to SS and California as much right now at this point is because all the big tournaments/good players come to them.
revisionist history. how good were raynex and kirbykaze and kage and blunted object before they traveled, placed well and people knew about them? just as good as they were when they only played each other in canada.

I dunno, I think if that were true, wouldn't silent wolf be one of the best players in the world?
he is.

I agree that effective, well used techskill can help alot in advancing, but I'd say there's alot more than techskill when it comes to being top.
smarts are a lot easier to get than flawless tech skill. i'm a perfect example of that.

Just look at that guy Dark. the fox.
lol who?

His techskill is the ****, some of the best i've ever, ever seen, but I wouldn't say hes anywhere near the best in the world. Just entertaining as hell to watch.
i wouldn't be surprised if i had better tech skill than him. the only kind of tech skill that matters is practical tech skill, i.e. whatever gets the job done.

As for insanely smart, I don't see where that's shown yet. 1\
you're not good enough to see it =P. hint: he's sandbagging in most, if not all, of those friendlies.

joeplicate

Smash Master
well obviously "tech skill is important but it's not everything" is true

i'm not even trying to say that people overrate tech skill, but the sentiment "oh it's not ALL you need" is soooo played out that the point is almost not worth making anymore

and people always, always give the example of silent wolf to prove that having "tech skill" alone does not make you a great player

but otto isn't even the most "technical" player, IMO (that's mango, like kira said). also, you have to consider that in the grand scheme of things he's actually pretty **** good. people try to make this argument through the hyperbole of his "tech skill," which used to be exorbitantly better than everyone except like shiz, but it's kinda silly to begin with, because you're oversimplifying the distinction between "tech skill" (mango-wise, doing all the moves you need to do) and "smarts" or playstyle, when they usually develop together and have bearing on each other

making the argument "silent wolf would be the best player if tech skill was all that mattered" is hollow, and it shows a certain lack of understanding about the game. plus it's completely hollow, there's no substance in saying something that everybody already knows

i probably could've worded my thoughts a little better but w/e
also hopefully i didn't come off as mean

Lovage

Smash Hero
i agree with joe

tech skill? game knowledge? positioning & spacing, choosing the best option?

all these things blend together at a high level so much it's not even worth making the distinction between them anymore. imo sw is just a good player its not "hes good cuz he has tech skill" he's just good cuz he's good at smash

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
The wording of 'techskill' kinda makes this topic pretty messy, it made a lot of arguments that I wasn't even referring to.

Also just because you see smarts in the mexican spacies that I don't doesn't make me a bad player. I can see smarts in plenty of other regions doing insanely smart **** that I can tell. I think that's just your opinion based off watching the matches. And Idk what friendlies you mean. I'm just referring to them in tourny play.

Also dark;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEg3a3hNbjc

I'm aware he's nothing incredible. Was just a statement, I think he's flashy, and technical to say the least.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
lol wtf you can't see smarts in people from Mexico, but you can see smarts in people from other areas?

GSUB

Smash Lord
i'm not sure if he's crazy or what

but either way,
there's so many ways to look at what he's saying, and apply it to society, ourself, etc..

It felt a lot like the way you can take different meanings and messages out of art.
He's spewing art from his mouth.

joeplicate

Smash Master
The wording of 'techskill' kinda makes this topic pretty messy, it made a lot of arguments that I wasn't even referring to.

Also just because you see smarts in the mexican spacies that I don't doesn't make me a bad player. I can see smarts in plenty of other regions doing insanely smart **** that I can tell. I think that's just your opinion based off watching the matches. And Idk what friendlies you mean. I'm just referring to them in tourny play.

Also dark;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEg3a3hNbjc

I'm aware he's nothing incredible. Was just a statement, I think he's flashy, and technical to say the least.
nah man, it's not the term 'tech skill' that made your argument messy, it was you when you said silent wolf had the most tech skill

i agree with kira in saying that mango has the most tech skill, and IMO it does in fact have a large part to do with him being the best player

and if you were to say that, in your previous statement, tech skill is something flashy, moving your character around, which doesn't relate to direct skill, why bother making that argument in the first place?? wouldn't it be useless?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
notice how it takes other regions doing "insanely smart ****" for him to tell

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
lol wtf you can't see smarts in people from Mexico, but you can see smarts in people from other areas?
sigh, no. I meant I don't find them as smart as other players i've watched. he's saying I can't judge their smarts because I'm not good enough, but I can clearly see smarts in lots of other players so I don't see why that would matter.

GSUB

Smash Lord
WATO 10 - June 5th and 6th

Hungrybox 1:05 pm
(1:05:36 PM): hey
(1:05:43 PM): if there's anyone over there who plays [any of these]
(1:05:44 PM): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273853
(1:06:03 PM): * Melee Singles
* Melee Doubles
* Brawl Singles
* Brawl Doubles
* Super Street Fighter 4 Singles(Xbox 360)
* Tatsunoko vs Capcom(Wii)
* Street Fighter 2 HD Remix(Xbox 360)
* Tekken 6(PS3)
* Marvel Vs Capcom 2(Xbox 360)
* Soul Calibur 4 (PS3)
* Melty Blood(Ps2)
* GG(Ps2)
* Garou
(1:06:11 PM): tell them to come to orlando on june 5 and 6
(1:06:13 PM): for greatness

Conscious

Smash Rookie
yoo, I live in so cal and am pretty dope at melee. Im down as **** to play with some people who dont just get owned every time, just inform me when the next meet up is

Top Bottom