• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
4 people dying in one week is pretty unheard of.

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
i can't believe *****s be ranking the oxy clean guy's death with mj's and ed mcmahon
***** chose the wrong week to die having his death overshadowed by all the other celebrity deaths
ima shed a tear when vince the sham wow guy dies tho ='[

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
stevens plans fell through

his 2 options are now

a. genesis bus has seats available
b. allow me to embrace his small asian body along with pats small asian body in the back seat of dereks car
oh and chris would be there too

JDM

Smash Champion
It stung a little. It's around 4mm and it had one part with a sharp edge on it. It was actually stuck near the head of my ***** when I was done pissing so I went downstairs drank some Arizonas and played smash for about an hour then pissed it out at around 11:40.

Kira-

Smash Champion
4 mm does not sound like it would just "sting a little"
but i breathed a sigh of relief for you, phew i just assume that **** would hurt really bad no matter what

why does anyone give a **** about celebrities dying

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Ughh, this article sucks. Before I start *****ing, I'll point out what I liked about it.

Title: Celebrity obsession reduces fear of death.
Caption (Directly below title): Celebrity obsession erases fear of death.

I'm not saying that this article is entirely false, but it just makes a bunch of LARGE assumptions but states them very matter-of-factly.

Okay let's look at the first study (presumably published because it was presented at some meeting of 2008 crap.)

"..found that after people thought about their own deaths, their estimates of how long various living and dead celebrities would be remembered increased."

I'm really curious how this study was conducted... "Hey you, how long do you think Paris Hilton will be remembered?" "Okay cool, now think about your own death..." "Okay great, NOW how long do you think people will remember Paris Hilton?"
WTF. (Before someone points out there might have been 2 different groups that were asked these questions, let me assure you I thought of this. Even if this were the case, this 'research' is just about different people's opinions, and is very unscientific..)

Perhaps thinking about your own death makes you think celebrities will be remembered longer... Maybe... But if you look at the stats, it's kind of ridiculous how much the estimates increased. Most of them are twice as much..
Also, they listed Michael Jackson twice, and they were very different values.
And they listed "RosaPark." Well, looks like the researchers are already beginning to forget Rosa Parks.

"And the magnitude of the increase for each famous person was related to how representative of American values people considered them."
No, the data shows a possible correlation between these, they are not related.

Okay, I already sort of tore that study up, and that one wasn't even the bad one. Let's take a look at these two other ******** unpublished studies.

"In another study, people thought a plane was less likely to crash when it carried a celeb who represented their cultural values. And the more iconic the person, the greater his protective force on the plane, even after controlling for how much the subjects liked or respected the person."

How the HELL did the conduct a study and get people to say they think a plane is less likely to crash if a celebrity is on it? I know most people are stupid, but most Americans arn't this stupid.
"Okay so you're on a plane right"
"right"
"okay also samuel l jackson is on the plane right"
"right"
"okay but the plane won't crash probably right?"
"well, right, we don't have to worry about snakes killing the pilot that's for god****ed sure"

"okay so you're on a plane right"
"right"
"the plane could crash, right"
"well, I guess"
(To other researcher) "Look, people think celebrities make planes less likely to crash! Let's drink moonshine til we blackout, then fight some homeless people!"

Okay, here's another good one:

"In a third study, also unpublished, subjects imagined an encounter with Oprah Winfrey (a figure Kesebir and Chiu dub "quisi-immortal") at a Chicago coffee shop. Those with death on the mind pictured the experience as being more pleasant than others did."

First off, they misspelled quasi. But hopefully you wern't focused on the *******ery in the misspelling. What kind of study is this?? And how the hell do you conduct this?

"OKay so think about getting coffee with Oprah, and your friend just got polio. And you did too."
"Uhh okay"
"okay good, focus on just how pleasant this experience is"
"umm..."

"Okay think about death"
"Okay, thinking about it"
"Okay, so now imagine you are in a quaint but charming Chicago cafe, talking to the legendary Oprah. Also, you're getting dome from a hot hooker under the table, and Oprah already offered to pay. And you're drunk"
"Now how much more pleasant was that?"
"Boy, it sure was!"
(to other researcher): "By scott! We did it again! Log that down as yet another unpublished study we can let ******* authors reference as truth in stupid online articles!"
*much rejoicing (and probably paint chip eating) was had*

TL;DR?
P posts stupid articles.

Top Bottom