• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

Jun.

Smash Lord
You gain more points for beating players with higher rating points, and lose more for losing to those with less points. The system becomes more accurate the more matches everyone has played.

In your friend's case, he probably went to a tourney and did decently while Jesse went to a bit more tournaments and had more losses.

This system is originally from chess and heavily present in RTS computer games of today. UCSD has a near identical rank match system that is fairly accurate also.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
so it seems then that this is only worth doing if you have a **** ton of tournaments that a lot of people attend? and i mean, a **** ton of tournaments. the list looks kinda bad from inputting like 9 tournaments, and not everyone on the list enters all of them. it also seems pretty skewed for those that just come to a few tournaments, and that's it....

meh i kinda like the old way, less effort, more gradual, less huge jumps. and flukes don't count for as much otherwise :)

but that's just me, and im not good anyways, so yeah. just my thoughts

Jun.

Smash Lord
You guys do realize that this is a unavoidable characteristic of statistics...

with such a minimal amount of data (results of 9 tourneys?) not everything is exactly 100% correct. As far as the system is concerned, it should be perfect. I am a firm believer of ELO / PSR calculations and I have been saying for a while that this is how Regional rankings should be done.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Big****master and Jason is the same person

atlus you're a stupid *** *****

Well, maybe people should stay with their name instead of wishing they had a big ****!

LOL yeah im like dead at the base score! average is cool i guess. :)

that system is kinda weird tho isnt it? like it only accounts for placings, not who beats who. and that also means going to more tournaments makes it riskier for people not at the absolute top, if we're playing a number game...
Actually, it IS based on players playing each other and not placing! The reason why HugQ is dead last is because he went 0-2 on at least three of the tournaments that are listed! Also, I think YOU are one of the most active players this year so far! Players that only appeared 1 or 2 times in the listed tournaments are most likely overrated or underrated! Pretty much, a lot of the players that are above you are most likely overrated since they probably only went to 1 or 2 of the tournaments!

There was also 2GG around March that didn't have the bracket posted up that had a good turnout and Festizzio's March bracket wasn't posted up either!

Edit - Remember, this is just the results that come off the BETA on Cobalt's program!

baka4moé

Smash Champion
You guys do realize that this is a unavoidable characteristic of statistics...

with such a minimal amount of data (results of 9 tourneys?) not everything is exactly 100% correct. As far as the system is concerned, it should be perfect. I am a firm believer of ELO / PSR calculations and I have been saying for a while that this is how Regional rankings should be done.
but, that's the problem. there can be only so many tournaments at a time, and not everyone on that list actually attends a decent number of tournaments. that means, unless we revise the rankings like once a year, or even longer than that, we will not get an accurate representation of ranks. what's more, since the only way this method works is if there's a large sample size of tournaments to work with, it may not necessarily be a good indicator of who is currently better than who, if you decide to include a lot of past tournaments.

and there seems like a number of ways to beat the system. sure, it may be accurate for the very top players, since they always win, but not so much for those under. activeness is one thing, as is who you play. for instance, given that atlus is better than me, i could just choose to play in tournaments where i beat a lot of people im sure to beat, and then only lose to the very top. i could go like 5-2 in a couple tournaments, not beating anyone notable, and then be ranked higher than atlus.

it just seems that, though this may work for a game like starcraft, where there isa large sample size of matches to work with, and with the convenience of being able to play whoever whenever (i think?), its a bit impractical for smash.

EDIT: for sure Atlus, i understand. i guess my main point is that, as neat as that program and the idea may be, as of now, the method doesn't seem too feasible to implement accurately.

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
yo you gotta own that **** jason, they wanna talk about your **** just say somethin like "wait till you see my balls *****"

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i think baka is bias against anything SD related

edit: i like the idea of a point rating system. i've been thinking of proposing one for months but i didnt think anyone would be down. glad i was wrong :]

baka4moé

Smash Champion
no not really, what gave you that idea?

i didn't really like the point system already, i find it too much of a hassle for what it is worth. and, i didn't like the idea before jun even said anything, hence the immediate sarcastic remark about hugo. i just spoke up since there was support for it, and felt that there are some good reasons why we shouldn't implement it. that's all.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I might be listed twice in that ranking as both 'Jesse' and 'W.A.S.T.E.'.
But that's okay. I like being two people.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i think it's something cool as like another way to look at ranking people but really for all the reasons stated already, it's not good for the smash community

inconsistency of participants, especially if this is taken nationally which i think was one of the main goals for it. unbiased ratings of the top players based off performance. it's just kinda hard to say who should be where cause we bias people, but statistics can be bias too. especially which such a small sample, 1-2 nationals a year that many (not all) people go to? just the time factor in and of itself would make this system fall apart

for so cal locally though, it could be a cool 2nd look since we have many tournies in a short time period, assuming we get good turnout to most of them

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
no not really, what gave you that idea?
you may or may not have noticed, but since the **** talk and/or hype around you and lanstar's mm, plus juns **** talk about your mm with him, you've noticeably talked down to most things SD related. if you ask me to find specific examples, im not gonna do it sorry lol. too much bull**** to go through

DJMirror

Smash Master
you may or may not have noticed, but since the **** talk and/or hype around you and lanstar's mm, plus juns **** talk about your mm with him, you've noticeably talked down to most things SD related. if you ask me to find specific examples, im not gonna do it sorry lol
Man now that I think about it, if I'm like baka (no offense)

I would hate the **** out of Nor Cal and 805

but nah

<3 NorCal and 805

805 is where the party is at

baka4moé

Smash Champion
you may or may not have noticed, but since the **** talk and/or hype around you and lanstar's mm, plus juns **** talk about your mm with him, you've noticeably talked down to most things SD related. if you ask me to find specific examples, im not gonna do it sorry lol. too much bull**** to go through
really? if that's true then i apologize, i didn't mean to convey myself that way. granted, i'd be lying if i said i love sd, cause yeah the amount trash talk i got from SD was pretty lame. but i know it wasn't everyone from sd, and i don't believe i've talked down on anything sd related (in fact i remember praising you guys for being being able to play smash almost all the time, i dont get to do that...), and i've tried talking to the sd folk more so that we could be on good terms, at least i think. im trying to remember a time when i could have talked down on sd, but i honestly can't think of one.

bottom line though, i don't have animosity towards SD as a whole, and i mean it (for whatever the hell making an online claim is worth haha...). just wanted to throw that out there.

You just gon let him get atchu like that Baka?!
LOL Alan i freaking love that picture. Meh whatever, i realized that smash drama isn't worth the effort, i have more pressing things to do haha. I don get what johnny's point is frankly. I mean, ya, I'm bad, and calling me *** isn't a big deal for me cause i know i'm not one. I do appreciate the sentiment though, you're too good. :)

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Dammit, thats not the response I wanted.

Call him a ho. Snatch his weave. ANYTHING!

D

Deleted member

Johnny, I think so too. =[

One day though, one day...

Hugo you got this.
u and hugq should seriously be flipped in the points since you didn't enter a tourney out of fear of getting ***** by him

PU$sY

baka4moé

Smash Champion
=/ ok johnny, now you're just being a jerk. i told you that because i thought you wouldn't tell other people about it. you are right though, and it was one of the dumbest decisions i've ever made in smash, and i never want to do that again. smash for me is about having fun first and foremost, and i forgot about that that day, and i ended up not having any fun at all. i realized that, if i lose to someone, it's legitimate, and it just means i have more to work on. :)

DJMirror

Smash Master
^ real stand-up guy right here
Nice, thanks charles! See you this saturday!

Needs more drama.
yup

Ok fineeeeeeeeeeee.

**** you johnny you ho imma **** the **** out of you, just wait.
let him know

YEAH **** YOU JOHNNY

stupiddumb*****
LOOOOOL

You know, when I first met Johnny I never imagined he'd be so good at pushing people's buttons.
Give him a few shots and you come back and tell me about it

he's good at pushing buttons until touhou comes into the works
LOOOL Touhou is funny

pp is ranked 5th in socal.... too good.
not as good as your luffy avatar

I guess I am pro now.

:phone:

sooooo pro

Johnny told me that I play like a *****, do i give a ****? maybe a few weeks ago I would...But now? No, I love pissing Johnny off more than him pissing me off

Sup <3 Johnny

embracethe12

Smash Lord
=/ ok johnny, now you're just being a jerk. i told you that because i thought you wouldn't tell other people about it. you are right though, and it was one of the dumbest decisions i've ever made in smash, and i never want to do that again. smash for me is about having fun first and foremost, and i forgot about that that day, and i ended up not having any fun at all. i realized that, if i lose to someone, it's legitimate, and it just means i have more to work on. :)
show, don't tell

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ no you're right, just trying to make how i feel clear to johnny, who probably doesnt event give a ****. ive never backed out of a tourney since and am really glad about it. i did get to play hugo in tourney a couple weeks ago, and am happy for the both of us that i did.

also jason ur awesome, i wanna be like you lol.

Top Bottom