• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise are generally NOT banned (Pound/National ruleset) and I think Champ even recognized this as he said his future tournaments will allow both stages. It is the only tourney I've ever been to where those stages were not allowed.

So is Bone good? Yes. I just wanted to clarify that at ANY other Socal tourney I would've won the set and that I basically got penalized for non-standard rules.
Why does it matter so much? Bone's win is as legit as any and you johning isn't really going to change anything. Just run it back the next time you see him.

Jun.

Smash Lord
So is Bone good? Yes. I just wanted to clarify that at ANY other Socal tourney I would've won the set and that I basically got penalized for non-standard rules.
woulda coulda shoulda. Quite a bold statement to say that you "would've" won in other conditions.

Bone I believed was Power Ranked back in Ken days.

Also it was Champ's tourney, he can do w/e he wants to the stages. Without experimental attempts at changing the ruleset, our metagame won't continue to change. He also posted the ruleset on his website too. I questioned it on the facebook event page.

Can someone also give me a brief answer as to why Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise are even still legal? It baffles me.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
Can someone also give me a brief answer as to why Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise are even still legal? It baffles me.
agreed, it basically makes a guessing game of do i think they will take me there or not. ridiculously biased stages for cp's.

i was not happy that peepee beat m2k on friggin cruise. talk about anticlimactic.

D

Deleted member

if you wanna get ranked, post your major wins (losses) and when

bone, like a lot of socal greats 'should' be ranked no doubt

he doesn't go to enough tourneys though and this pretty much is the same for all of SD ( just 1 panelists opinion)

Well, that's not a very nice thing to say at all.

Edit:

Also, there needs to be less dissent in this thread. Just let the PR people do their thing. I think they have enough information at this time already, so all this bashing on each other should stop.

We are, after all, supposed to be a friendly smash community, no?
no, there isn't really enough information and the panelists will no doubt be bias. What we need are actual results and its tough for us to find out people's results especially for way older tourneys. This top 20 is way harder to make than other top 20s, quite ghey actually

Dissent is absolutely fine if its backed up. Even if not well-backed up i still think its ok sometimes. I honestly prefer saying things like it is

shameless sd promotion:

despite me complaining about jun in our thread and in person he is a pretty smart player and showed that he could hold his own against contenders, baka at least. all of his characters are getting better and it would be a shame not to promote him. macd has his back, but he did 2-0 baka who is trying his heart to get on the pr.

sunny sucks, but everyone else sucks more. hes legit, hes the real deal.

jesse is amazing. there is no question his deserves to be ranked. i honestly dont care if he does because hes already earned it in my eyes.

maple is good, play more. especially with us.
My honest thoughts on SD:

Jun- entered 2 pools in a GREV by tourney runners incompetence and failed to get out of both of them.

Lanstar- not bad but got pwned by baka4moe.

Sunny- pretty good, not enuf tourneys though

Jesse- idk, haven't played him ever i think although vids show a lot of potential

maple/pnoy- good and inactive

PBS- one of the best from the SD dudes I played, but is MIA

aznlep- best imo

Jun.

Smash Lord
Jun- entered 2 pools in a GREV by tourney runners incompetence and failed to get out of both of them.
Jesse- idk, haven't played him ever i think although vids show a lot of potential
aznlep- best imo
Agreed. Grev was the only tourney in the last year that I didn't make out of pools =[ small tournies are so harsh! IIRC in both the pools the top were S2J and Rus0ul in one and Lucky and Hyprid in the other. Was so close to beating Lucky (Marth).

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman

aznlep- best imo
pat needs to get out even more than the rest of us, because he would for sure be on the pr.

jesse is too good. since sunny sucks at least jesse should get on the list.

agreed on maple and pnoy. they dont even really play with us any more which sucks.

i very much support the idea of being active to get on the pr, but for people who are up and coming and show that they will be going out to stuff, i believe there should be a little more leeway with regards purely to going to tournaments. of course they should still be judged based on their skillz

D

Deleted member

pat needs to get out even more than the rest of us, because he would for sure be on the pr.

jesse is too good. since sunny sucks at least jesse should get on the list.

agreed on maple and pnoy. they dont even really play with us any more which sucks.

i very much support the idea of being active to get on the pr, but for people who are up and coming and show that they will be going out to stuff, i believe there should be a little more leeway with regards purely to going to tournaments. of course they should still be judged based on their skillz
how da **** can we judge them if they never come, by listening to sd people who do nothing but hype them up?

in other words

come to more tourneys, actions speak louder than words

show not tell

etc

also if we were to judge skill and not people coming to tourneys (enough) then i'd put kfc really high

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
how da **** can we judge them if they never come, by listening to sd people who do nothing but hype them up?

in other words

come to more tourneys, actions speak louder than words

show not tell

etc

also if we were to judge skill and not people coming to tourneys (enough) then i'd put kfc really high
i didnt say that. i said to give up and coming players a little more leeway in the attendance part. for example jesse has played at a few recent tournaments, maybe not as many as you would like, but since he is up and coming you should encourage his good work and give him equal thought as if he were traveling all the time.

not that im too worried abouut fairness, macd has seen all of us play so he can give a fair opinion on us. its just something i feel should happen to encourage younger/newer players by giving them a tangible reward

Jun.

Smash Lord
i didnt say that. i said to give up and coming players a little more leeway in the attendance part. for example jesse has played at a few recent tournaments, maybe not as many as you would like, but since he is up and coming you should encourage his good work and give him equal thought as if he were traveling all the time.

not that im too worried abouut fairness, macd has seen all of us play so he can give a fair opinion on us. its just something i feel should happen to encourage younger/newer players by giving them a tangible reward
However the panelists need to reward the people who have actually been attending tournaments and showing results first. There are so many players in SoCal that attend tournaments reguarly. There aren't any spots for such incentive based reward spots.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
However the panelists need to reward the people who have actually been attending tournaments and showing results first. There are so many players in SoCal that attend tournaments reguarly. There aren't any spots for such incentive based reward spots.
i would defiitely say its a balancing act. its not like the pr is the end all be all of socal, but it has to be pretty nice to see your name on there.

as for incentive spots, i wont argue for that. but the difference between 20 and 21 cant be very big. if 21 happens to be up and coming then maybe you do give it to them

!Peligro!

Smash Journeyman
woulda coulda shoulda. Quite a bold statement to say that you "would've" won in other conditions.

Bone I believed was Power Ranked back in Ken days.

Also it was Champ's tourney, he can do w/e he wants to the stages. Without experimental attempts at changing the ruleset, our metagame won't continue to change. He also posted the ruleset on his website too. I questioned it on the facebook event page.
The only reason I'm bringing this up is because they're ranking people right now and my performance at that tourney looks really bad. I WON GAME 3 IN A 3 GAME SET and AFTER the match was done they said it didn't count. Sure, let's have experimental rulesets, but thats the sort of thing that should be be announced at the event.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Just wanted to say

I think I'm an up and coming player, since my first real tournament ever (save for a few 10-12 man local Gamestop tournaments in Houston where no one was good and that i went to 4 years ago), was Arcadian II, which was only 6 months ago. And, I'm attend tournaments regularly. So, I meet both Jun's and soccerdrew's criteria!

Also i like JDM's idea :)

Peligro I think you're in the clear, this period you've been more consistent than Bone. To be fair, it was noted a few times that brinstar/cruise weren't legal, even on this thread. Plus, losing to Bone isn't that bad, since he is good. lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
You can't be ranked for free. Going to two tournaments and not losing to noobs does not earn your right to be ranked.

Everyone wants to be ranked, nobody wants to do the work. As a recent example, everyone wants to be Bradley Cooper in the movie Limitless, taking a pill to be the most amazing person ever. It's the new American dream, do nothing, suck a lot, take medication, acquire instant gratification in 30 seconds. If you deserve to be ranked, you will be ranked, this is how it has always been.

joeplicate

Smash Master
hey, was limitless any good?

i saw the trailer and i was really intrigued by the idea
might go see it still (no spoilers plz)

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Hi,

Thought I'd just bump this old post for the panelists. I'd like to also add that I beat Atlus today at MikeHaze's tourney, who I believe has done quite well this period. And, the only people on the current 11-20 i've been able to play were stab and hyprid, so I haven't had the opportunity to see how i fair against the other competitors.

baka for top 20! :)

Um, the only people i beat (this ranking period) that are on the pr right now are Hyprid(festizzios) and Lucky(2GG).

If we're also talking about decent unranked people, I've beaten Peligro!(festizzios) and Emerican(festizzios), and Sung twice(festizzios).

I feel that out of the prospective new/upcoming players, I am the most active (not sure if that matters) and consistent (placing close to/right under the top players; in some tournies I have even placed the same or higher as the current top 11-20) in each tourney I attend, especially more recently. And, when I play the top players, I can usually hold my own relatively well, i.e. not get completely destroyed. (Like, when I played wes or stab for instance, my losses were 1 stocks, and I take games off them)

Oh, and not sure if doubles even matters, but if it does I think I've done pretty well there too, even had a few upsets; I can list who I've teamed with/who we beat if that is relevant. Thanks for listening! :)

baka4moé

Smash Champion
lolwut. thanks for the compliment, but i know im not top 15 material, much less top 5. im hoping somewhere between 15-20.

also, me and johnny are cool, lol. i think.

cyclone248i

Smash Journeyman
<obligatoryiwillrageifimrankedbelowstabpost>

I wish the skill gaps from like 1-4, 5-9, 10-20 weren't so glaring. I'm gonna try as hard as I can this coming period and MAYBE shake things up.

SNG

Smash Journeyman
What's funny is that the people who get ranked in the 15-20 spots can't even hold a candle against the people currently ranked 1-4 (alongside the many other top smashers around the world).

@24, Your most recent video against stab makes you look really good. I think if you worked hard enough you would climb the ranks quickly.

Lovage

Smash Hero
You can't be ranked for free. Going to two tournaments and not losing to noobs does not earn your right to be ranked.

Everyone wants to be ranked, nobody wants to do the work. As a recent example, everyone wants to be Bradley Cooper in the movie Limitless, taking a pill to be the most amazing person ever. It's the new American dream, do nothing, suck a lot, take medication, acquire instant gratification in 30 seconds. If you deserve to be ranked, you will be ranked, this is how it has always been.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder!

nobody wants to lift this heavy *** weight!

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I've always thought of it in these terms: nobody wants to win tournaments, they just want to have won them, if that makes sense.

It applies to many other things besides Smash.

Kira-

Smash Champion
hey, was limitless any good?

i saw the trailer and i was really intrigued by the idea
might go see it still (no spoilers plz)
It was very entertaining, lots of holes and dumb parts in it but I mostly overlooked them until after the movie was done because it's so fun overall (but they are pretty glaring once you think about it).

Source Code was a better movie with a much better ending, except it's not as good of a movie to go see with your friends just to chill and stuff. But I liked it more.

everybody wanna be a bodybuilder!

nobody wants to lift this heavy *** weight!
**** YES, thank you.

Top Bottom