• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
While bored on a run, i thought of a star wars analogy for the top 8 (the prequels suck btw)

Johnny/Vader (Analkin) - Turned to the dark side of the force because he was consumed by his anger/hatred, and now uses that to crush his foes
Mango/Yoda - the wise master who you wouldn't guess is a wise master due to his appearance and way of speech
Joey/Obi Wan - Old expert who ***** johnny/vader (Analkin) in the past but gets killed by him in A New Hope (which is analogous to how their sets go nowadays)
C3PO/Fly - Very smart but doesn't exactly have the most personality. More concerned with duty (winning) than style.
Luke/Lovage - Started as your average farm boy, but through dedication and practice, became a powerful jedi knight capable of defeating the sith
HugS/The Emperor - Honestly, hugo doesn't fit that well into this analogy but the emperor is old and the mastermind of everything, and hugo seems like someone who could scheme well and be the mastermind behind a big plan (plus he's old)
Han Solo/Zhu - very practical guy and good with a blaster, is also a ladies man
MacD/Princess Leia - Though she's a princess, she is very forceful and sometimes un-ladylike. romantically involved with Han Solo/Zhu
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
DUDE thats got some pretty hilarious explanations
also i would like to inject that jeremy is a very personable guy
(aside)
he's right
ahahahahah dude aside is hilarioUS
because baka got ***** today we will update soon
as a panelist i fully support brendan over baka4moe on the pr

ALL IN FAVOR
here i come *****es
TGL (:bowser2:/:marth:)

D

Deleted member

1. mango
2. zhu
3. s2j
4. lovage
5. fly
6. macd
7. eddy
8. hugs
9. lucky
10. alex
11. wes
12. larry
13. connor
14. atlus
15. stab
16. baka
17. sung
18. hyprid

3-5 is extremely close

hugs has a life otherwise he'd be ****** and back to top

i don't care about ordering of 14-18

--
this list is slightly conservative, if I really wanted to move people into where i think they'd belong i'd move people around a lot more

baka4moé

Smash Champion
14. stab
15-16. baka/hyprid (honestly dont know, but i think kevin's better than me atm, need to compare records?)
17. atlus
18. sung
19. jesse
20. azn_lep/hugq/j666 (???)

1-13 look pretty solid, 3-5 is a tossup though. all this is just my admittedly biased opinion ofc.

**** talk about skill difference o_0 i need to step it up!

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
ok so i didn't even look at 14 and beyond..... guess maybe i should do that.... eventually
I feel like after a certain point, it's really hard to objectively rank people. You guys should just do the most trollish rankings from then on to make people tryhard.

Like what Oscar said 10x posts back woooooooooooooooo

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
yeah, after top 12-ish, there's no point in arguing your spot, no one cares lol. If you really care, then you should be worrying about beating *****s and moving into top 10.

Speaking of which

hella *****s are going down this period (however long it lasts lolololol)

D

Deleted member

bottom 5 should have a deathmatch to see who deserves 14-15

because no one seriously cares

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I want to get this update over with, so I propose that we do it tomorrow. I'll tentatively and kind of randomly propose 2:00pm for a panelist AIM meeting. If that doesn't work for somebody, we can set some other time.

Jun.

Smash Lord
lol...

16-20 is the death of the melee dream. You work hard to get put on the glorious PR and then when you're up there, you lose to players who are seemingly random because the skill pool is so large going down the PR. The panelists are evening directly stating that they don't care about the bottom. Its quite apparent that players in the 16-20 are not actually the 16th to 20th best player in the region but more so a hodgepodge of "players to watch." You can't deny the fact that assigning numbers to players on the bottom of the list is like giving your baby brother an unplugged controller to play with. Players in the bottom also seem to lose the "motivation" the extended PR is meant for after they get on it. They seem to be more interested in staying ON the PR instead of moving up and catch themselves in a void where all they are aiming for is beating the players under them and not losing to randoms (see Baka4moe). Players who do actually move up the PR seem be self motivated and don't seem to care much for scrutinizing over it (see Wes & Connor).

15 should be Hyprid.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ please don't make assumptions about others that you've only talked to once. all i'll say is that the pr still does make me motivated to improve; "staying on it" is not enough for me. it may seem what you claim is that way just because of my performance, but my realistic goal this term was to be along the same level as connor, as in getting better than jesse/stab/atlus/etc. it didn't exactly happen in full, and my work hasn't gotten the results i desired, but that's beside the point.

i do admit and agree that there is definitely a notable skill gap, and that moving 1-2 spots about spots 15-20 isn't really a big deal in comparison to 1-12. that's kind of a given, as the lower portion (i think this applies to all the melee region prs actually, like norcal and az, for instance) is expected to be worse and "more reachable". but, i'm assuming that one of the main goals of the pr is to motivate the community, and that includes everyone, not just the top players. pat made a good point earlier that no one really argued. even if the top 10 don't care about the bottom, that doesn't mean having it on there is pointless.

my record this term for the panelists....
Wins(notable unranked): Sung(3, Mike Haze’s & 2GG), Peligro(Mike Haze’s), Aesis(Mike Haze’s), Little England (2, Mike Haze’s), A Rookie(2GG; he beat Hyprid in loser’s right before), HugQ(2, Smasholmania and 2GG), J666(Mike Haze’s)

Wins(current PR): Lovage :troll: (Mike Haze’s), Westballz(2, Smasholmania WS and LF), Atlus(Smasholmania), WASTE(Grev), Sunny(Grev)

Also I 2-0’d Phil at genesis, Norcal’s current #7. The only reason I mentioned me vs hyprid was because I beat at least 3 people that he lost to, for whatever that's worth.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
Can I be taken off the PR since I'm not planning on going to anything? I'd rather let rising stars like Hyprid get recognition.

I don't particularly care whether or not I'm ranked; someone (who asked to be annonymous) asked me to request being taken off lol

Lovage

Smash Hero
u beat my falco in 1 set when i wasnt trying baka shut ur mouth

bottom 5 should have a deathmatch to see who deserves 14-15

because no one seriously cares
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7VUjGiGoA

"scrap it out!!!"

edit: looked at list

top 12 is lock imo, larry's placement is questionable, could be 1 higher or 1 lower but that's how it always is with larry

after that i dun care much, hope stab gets ranked high is all

///////

this PR will have huge skill gaps, same as it ever was. huge gap between 1 and 2, small gap between 5 and 6. huge gap between 6 and 7 , huge gap between 9 and 10. after that the pool is so large it's almost impossible to objectively rank but we do our best.

SUNG475

Smash Ace
If no one cares about 15-20 just forget it

Why did you put 3 when you listed two for me Baka

SUNG475

Smash Ace
No we didn't I know I lost to you once 2 weeks back at 2GG with my samus

And at Mikehazes it was only the 3/5 game cause I was knocked into losers by Lovage

D

Deleted member

Can I be taken off the PR since I'm not planning on going to anything? I'd rather let rising stars like Hyprid get recognition.

I don't particularly care whether or not I'm ranked; someone (who asked to be annonymous) asked me to request being taken off lol
only guy who would ask that is baka

and he is a ****ay for not just saying publicly

D

Deleted member

I want to get this update over with, so I propose that we do it tomorrow. I'll tentatively and kind of randomly propose 2:00pm for a panelist AIM meeting. If that doesn't work for somebody, we can set some other time.
i'll be rdy at 2

sorry about double post please don't infract me

Top Bottom