• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'm heading to a smash fest soon, and someone is likely to bring a video camera, so I'll see if I can get them to record a video of how I hold the controller.

I've held it that way since I first used a 64 controller. No one ever showed me the "proper" way, so I found the method that gave me access to as many buttons at once. And I've used that method ever since.

But yeah... I'll try to get them to record how I hold it.

Edit:

I've tried a few weeks ago to hold the controller the "normal" way, and I just can't do it. It feels too wierd, and I end up messing up. I fail almost as bad as when I try to short-hop on keyboard (lol)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I never use a normal controller, but I always thought that you need a 2nd finger to control the stick really well. One finger is just not enough, you have to be fast and precise at the same time, poor thumb :urg:

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
nah, you build a little callus at the tip of your thumb within 2 months. from there you can play for hours on end without a problem.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
HA! My friend who I recently got into smash is what Melee would call a "control freak", and he actually got a huge blister covering his entire thumb from mashing the control stick around. He was also good at caking up plastic dust, ruining my joysticks. >:(

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Sup guys.

Recently, i've been trying to apply to the mentoring program.

I know there are alot better smashers then me but i was thinking if perhaps we got some tutors people would recognize us more.

what i'm asking is basically we should get some more members to sign up for it. They said they aren't doing character specific mentoring though...for now i believe.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Eh, I remember trying to teach Locke when he was around but I found that Smash is kind of hard to teach.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
what i'm asking is basically we should get some more members to sign up for it. They said they aren't doing character specific mentoring though...for now i believe.
I think the Mentoring Program is just busy at the moment, and they're not sure if getting character specific tutors is required for now, especially if not that many people are interested in it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Teaching people the basics is easy, teaching them how to be good is hard. Explaining spacing or whatever is next to impossible for me; the best way to teach IMO is just to teach Z-canceling, teching, and Short-Hopping, then play a bunch of games with them and mumble something about a move they should/shouldn't have used there once in a while. Maybe tell them how to DI after a little while.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
make sure your unpredictability actually changes things too, and isn't just substituting a worse option (ie randomly shooting falcon kicks as an approach)

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
exactly, it works the same was as "dont get hit" obviously running away the entire match dodging everything as best as you can isn't really going to help if you dont start fighting back eventually :p

Being unpredictable while still maintaining consistent combos and effective approaches is ultimately what he meant i would assume

asianaussie

Smash Hero
that's bloody hard and i can't think of examples of such, unless you mean something simple like 'i always expend my double jump before an aerial approach (coughciaza)' and then 'this time i won't do a double jump' when it stops working

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
this is why its hard to teach the later end of smash64 :p

how do you explain being unpredictable ? xD

dont do what they think your going to do...while still doing what you want to do, FAIL

Battlecow

Play to Win
that's bloody hard and i can't think of examples of such, unless you mean something simple like 'i always expend my double jump before an aerial approach (coughciaza)' and then 'this time i won't do a double jump' when it stops working
Now that ain't fair. There are a lot of ways to be unpredictable without doing subpar combos or approaching in ineffective ways. There are enough good approaches that you can vary them to mindgame your opponent; if they don't know which one you're gonna use, it's harder for them to counter it.

Take my Doug, for example. Sometimes, I dashdance->grab and then start a combo. Other times, I dashdance, then dashdance some more, then hope they miss a z cancel, then grab->start a combo. Or, I might just try to space with Bair/Fair and get my *** handed to me once in a while. Or I might shield for twenty minutes and then shield grab. You never know!

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Now that ain't fair. There are a lot of ways to be unpredictable without doing subpar combos or approaching in ineffective ways. There are enough good approaches that you can vary them to mindgame your opponent; if they don't know which one you're gonna use, it's harder for them to counter it.

Take my Doug, for example. Sometimes, I dashdance->grab and then start a combo. Other times, I dashdance, then dashdance some more, then hope they miss a z cancel, then grab->start a combo. Or, I might just try to space with Bair/Fair and get my *** handed to me once in a while. Or I might shield for twenty minutes and then shield grab. You never know!
Really ??? i have never seen you doing that XDDDDDDD (maybe in the dittos you can show me XD)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I have been teaching Sophious for awhile now and hes gotten really good.

It is quite hard to mentor someone if you do not play with them often.

He already had the advanced techs down before I started teaching him and even then it took a long of time for me to learn his playstyle and judge what his problems were.

Mostly every thing I have taught him was about being a more aggressive edge guarder while being less aggressive in his approach.

Everyone's problems are different, and if they are passed the zcancel, tech, SH, DI phase it takes alot of time and effort to really help someone.

I know zod used to have a huge amount of people he was tutoring and he seemed fairly fast at getting people up to speed, so it is definitely worth it.

I dont know how many people are interested in getting over that hurdle, most people on galaxy just play for fun with items or have terrible attitudes which stunt their growth.

The Star King

Smash Hero
In regards to the unpredictable bit; just pay attention to your opponent's habits, and how they adjust to yours. You don't need to change up your playstyle if your opponent is too dumb to adapt.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Shiki is horror and I dislike the horror genre. The anime School Days made me eternally hate Yandere's too.
I dislike the horror genre, however I can not stop watching shiki (It is so awesome). If you stick with it past the first three hours it gets really awesome.

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
wats with all dese people that think when they play wtf

i dont think at all i just press buttons

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
In regards to the unpredictable bit; just pay attention to your opponent's habits, and how they adjust to yours. You don't need to change up your playstyle if your opponent is too dumb to adapt.

If no one can beat them, they are the best......... until someone better comes along, as they normally do. Once that happens, they either eat their pride and learn, or they continue to be stagnant.

I hate stagnant players. The general conclusions of moves and characters they have are normally flawed and only build for their group of play. The idea that a person will choose the same conclusion on a roulette logic instead of exploring the full range of possibilities pisses me off more then any "cheap" attack they could use on me. Ridged players regress meta games, and cause the people they are playing against to be rigid as well to continue to win. Its a bad cycle that helps no one get better, and is often the stop to any forward progression of skill. Because if you think about it, a master must know every situation and playstyle, so after you have learned that, stop playing them, you'll be better for it. It sounds cruel to say that, but they have stopped trying to progress at that point, and have set their mind to learn nothing more.

malva00

Smash Master
looks like the new Japanese kaillera has FAKE PING, the same thing as PING SPOOF

and it has a news button in server mode that let's you see the latest ssb/kaillera news

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
The hacked stage status.

I am 100% sure this has been discussed before which is why I am not making a new thread. I was curious as to the common consensus to the status for the following stages.

Kirby beta 1 (I would think it would be banned, but on the off chance it is not I am asking anyway.)
Kirby beta 2 (I would think it would be banned, but on the off chance it is not I am asking anyway.)
Tutorial stage (I could see this being Neutral/Counter-Pick but I am not certain.)
Metal Mario Stage (I see this being counter pick due to its size, but I wish to check.)
Fighting polygon stage/Battle Field (I think this is neutral, but I could be wrong.)

So what are your opinions as to what they should be?

Dsc

Smash Ace
Both kirby betas are ****ed up.
Tutorial stage seems to be very neutral.
Metal mario is obviously way too small and battlefield is just weird

Battlecow

Play to Win
Battlefield's not weird. It's a really neutral stage except that it has ledges of death (which Congo has also).

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
Gah I don't have enough time to read everything from the past week.

Anyways, my birthday was on the 28th, I turned 18 =D.
I got 2 extreme green controllers =0!!!!

Top Bottom