• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If I know one thing from debating like this, it's that people are not all as intelligent as you'd think, and that debating using scenarios only works if everyone has the same mindset and intelligence as you.

Alcohol poisoning is rife in the US alone. In less developed countries, alcohol is a cheap way to drown your sorrows.

We are not talking about alcohol 100%, its stupid, nobody drinks this Lol
I went to a party the other day where people took shots of orange essence. That's 75-90% alcohol. I realise this is anecdotal evidence, but...the easiest way to demolish absolutist arguments is by giving a simple example.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Hopefully it never happens. Marijuana I'm okay with, but you'd have to be fucktarded if you think that legalizing all drugs won't have a negative effect on society.

Also, what's up with that giant ass brawl stream on the top? Fuck MLG, I don't want Brawl slowing down the loading of my pages and taking a shitton of screen space.
No, legalizing all drugs would make it easier for people that are addicted to get help because they wouldn't have to worry about going to jail. Also the black market makes it a lot harder to know what you are getting, and this leads to lots of overdoses when people don't realize that the drugs they just bought are stronger than usual. There's a lot of drug violence too because people cannot go to the police if they get into an altercation during a drug transaction, so the only option is to fight.

And it's not like legalizing heroin would suddenly convince everyone to start shooting up. The vast majority of people are not that stupid (and those that are that stupid are probably doing drugs in spite of the laws anyway).

**** the weed debate went downhill fast haha. If you think weed is worse for you than alcohol you're wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oDc--yrWQc

SSBPete

Smash Lord
a few of my mates from school smoke pot and they are all getting really bad grades compared to the rest of us. coincidence? i think not. they skip school just to smoke cause they are hooked on it. thats not even mentioning the people i know who became skitzo from it. ok theres a few people who MIGHT benifit from it, but overall it has a negitive effect on people.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
a few of my mates from school smoke pot and they are all getting really bad grades compared to the rest of us. coincidence? i think not. they skip school just to smoke cause they are hooked on it. thats not even mentioning the people i know who became skitzo from it. ok theres a few people who MIGHT benifit from it, but overall it has a negitive effect on people.
Correlation is not causation. It may just be that your friends are slackers, and slackers like to skip school and are much more likely to smoke weed. Weed itself does not make you skip school.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
He speaks the truth. Just because Habit A and Habit B are likely to go together, it does not mean one is responsible for the other.

Seems silly to legalise all drugs. There's a reason some drugs are banned - they can cause significant, devastating problems to society, and seem to cause health problems too. While the illegal status of drugs contributes to this effect (high prices due to difficulty in procuring makes addicts blow more money than they might), it could easily go in the complete opposite direction and still cause the same effect - legalising drugs would make them easier to obtain, thus theoretically causing greater chances of OD. Not only that, it might raise the demand level until prices are just as high as they were when they weren't legal.

No, legalizing all drugs would make it easier for people that are addicted to get help because they wouldn't have to worry about going to jail.
The problem isn't how easy it is to get help, it's convincing the addicts to get help. Rehab clinics are everywhere in modern countries, as are qualified counsellors. Most addicts will have problems admitting to the addiction. You are right in saying the threat of persecution makes them even more reluctant to seek help though.

And it's not like legalizing heroin would suddenly convince everyone to start shooting up. The vast majority of people are not that stupid (and those that are that stupid are probably doing drugs in spite of the laws anyway).
It's not everyone we're worried about, it's the minority who are already doing drugs and their influence on others. In addition, adolescents will definitely be attracted to newly legalised drugs - anything that has had a illicit status is attractive (for social and rebellious reasons). It only takes one or two adolescents to start taking legalised drugs in order to cause conformity in others.

There is no real reason to argue for legalisation of all drugs. Feel free to prove me wrong - it's late at night and I'm high on jubes and punch.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Well guys if you think weed is so fkn good then keep on smoking it, i'll be much happy with my weekend alcohol drinking, i'll have no apathy, no lazyness and i'll save way more money too.
Ballin4Life the ALL drugs legalization is a tough ªss debate that has been going on for long time (run by the world's top experts and politicians) and you cant really say anything about this, its still too complex for the moment. In the future who knows... May the society evolve and solve this forever...

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
does anyone remember that commercial where it shows an egg saying "this is your brain" and then somebody squashes it with a pan followed up with "this is your brain on drugs"

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
i think you're right, but I remember seeing something way similar to that except they crush the egg with a pan

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I'll probably never understand what's cool about getting drunk and high.
Getting COMPLETELY drunk is not cool. You gotta control your drunken level to feel good, same for almost all drugs i suppose. And yeah the feeling is great, esp if you go to party listening to music that you like, being with your friends and hot chicks around, lulz

ballin4life

Smash Hero
He speaks the truth. Just because Habit A and Habit B are likely to go together, it does not mean one is responsible for the other.

Seems silly to legalise all drugs. There's a reason some drugs are banned - they can cause significant, devastating problems to society, and seem to cause health problems too. While the illegal status of drugs contributes to this effect (high prices due to difficulty in procuring makes addicts blow more money than they might), it could easily go in the complete opposite direction and still cause the same effect - legalising drugs would make them easier to obtain, thus theoretically causing greater chances of OD. Not only that, it might raise the demand level until prices are just as high as they were when they weren't legal.
Legalizing drugs would definitely decrease the price and drastically reduce the percentage of users that OD. I really doubt that the counter effects you mention would be enough to raise prices or overall ODs.

The problem isn't how easy it is to get help, it's convincing the addicts to get help. Rehab clinics are everywhere in modern countries, as are qualified counsellors. Most addicts will have problems admitting to the addiction. You are right in saying the threat of persecution makes them even more reluctant to seek help though.

It's not everyone we're worried about, it's the minority who are already doing drugs and their influence on others. In addition, adolescents will definitely be attracted to newly legalised drugs - anything that has had a illicit status is attractive (for social and rebellious reasons). It only takes one or two adolescents to start taking legalised drugs in order to cause conformity in others.

There is no real reason to argue for legalisation of all drugs. Feel free to prove me wrong - it's late at night and I'm high on jubes and punch.
If addicts don't want to get help then there isn't really a problem. You or I might think that they need help but really it's their choice. It's like fat people eating junk food - I think it's stupid - but they should be able to do what they want.

Teenagers could get all these drugs right now, and some do. I don't really think there's that many in the category of "I would do drugs but they're illegal"

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Even though this question is already answered, I just want to re-itterate that who you are as a person, is not due to the effect of the drug (in this case marijuana). The Habit A and Habit B was a perfect example.

Well guys if you think weed is so fkn good then keep on smoking it, i'll be much happy with my weekend alcohol drinking, i'll have no apathy, no lazyness and i'll save way more money too.
Ballin4Life the ALL drugs legalization is a tough ªss debate that has been going on for long time (run by the world's top experts and politicians) and you cant really say anything about this, its still too complex for the moment. In the future who knows... May the society evolve and solve this forever...
We don't THINK it's so "****ing" good, it's just way WAY less harmful on your body than alcohol is. Money was made to spend so i'm gonna spend the **** out of it. I only buy by the 8th anyways. As for your take on legalizing all drugs "for a long time", i don't think the U.S has ever considered legalizing all drugs. That would be chaotic, the only ones with any real chance at getting legalized are Schedule 1 type drugs (as classified by the FDA and DEA). And even then, the only substance that is most beneficial to the U.S is the legalization of marijuana.

I'll probably never understand what's cool about getting drunk and high.
If you're doing something because it's cool, then your just a product of peer pressure...peer pressure is never a good thing unless you're getting laid then it's a win win. I like partying, so when i drinkn at a party i'm trying to get wasted as ****, but I maintain my composure while i'm faaaaded cause no one wants to see some ******* at a party acting a fool. Marijuana can have different effects on people, everyone is unique so everything will have a different effect on you, it all depends on you. Everything is fine in moderation, or as long as you know what you're doing.

Joints have to be the worst possible method

For real, who wants to get high for 30 min...i'm a blunt man but i'm from Texas.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
The notion of illegal is one thing that attracts people (specifically adolescents and young adults) to things, even if there is no apparent benefit. Even if you legalised drugs like heroin, the fact that it has had illegal status will mean people will continue to go for it.

DMoogle

A$
Because of the law? And would these people do heroin if it were legal? I doubt it.

Trying to enforce drug laws is a waste of taxpayer money too
I think it is, to an extent, part of the law. It's just a way of celebrating a coming of age, and some people wanted to hold off on it. When I was in high school, I decided that I would hold off on weed until I get to college (of course, I changed my mind later about using drugs altogether).

However, I don't think most people would start using heroin if it became legal because most people know that heroin is the stupidest ****ing drug ever.

A big part of it is how socially acceptable it is to drink. And that drives me crazy. :(

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Everyone: talk about alcohol or illegal drugs (even if certain people can use them legally) is not permitted. This is a blanket warning to the thread. Any more talk about it from here on in will warrant an infraction.

Battlecow

Play to Win
aw man, an hour before I was about to put my two cents in.

Smashboards will never know battlecow's position on... certain topics...

And Blue Yoshi, what the hell? You let some out-of-community Senator come in here and shut us down? that was your duty, man. I'm disappointed.

Sarcasm. that was sarcasm. I have no problem with BY.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^^Smasherx74 don't even bother playing with Peek now...

You blocked me from AIM also, so don't bother joining my tourneys.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Everyone: talk about alcohol or illegal drugs (even if certain people can use them legally) is not permitted. This is a blanket warning to the thread. Any more talk about it from here on in will warrant an infraction.
The global rules say that you can't talk about "engaging in drug or alcohol use" but people here were mostly debating policy, not talking about doing drugs themselves.

malva00

Smash Master
So the Japanese player kuro will be staying in Los Angeles for maybe 8 months. Hopefully he can come to a CGC

And it turns out moyashi might come to study in the United States this summer, but he's not sure where he will go if he does; he will give me updates

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So the Japanese player kuro will be staying in Los Angeles for maybe 8 months. Hopefully he can come to a CGC

And it turns out moyashi might come to study in the United States this summer, but he's not sure where he will go if he does; he will give me updates
Moyashi is a kirby, right?

Top Bottom