• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

M!nt

Smash Champion
That was one of the only 3 games I had for n64 and I'm sad to say i can't remember any of it D:
it was an great game though.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Watching Captain Jack in crews just about brought tears to my eyes, and the biggest smile on my face.

xDDDDDD

djfkl;sajlf

M!nt

Smash Champion
That guy calling smash 64 outdated made me really angry considering its only 2~ years older than melee.
lol at Isai vs CJ, they really wanted him to play.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I'd like to briefly apologize for the fact that I log in once every few days and then my OCD compels me to respond to a bunch of social thread posts a while ago.

OK

I ask what one learns in philosophy

Ciaza only says logic stuff

I say that's just logic, and there should be more for it to be philosophy
All I'm saying is that it's totally possible to have a philosophy class that is ONLY logic - in fact I am taking one next quarter. You don't need "more for it to be philosophy". Apologies for misstating your original position in my 2 line response to the conversation about philosophy.

Probably gonna be a CS major because both my parents are so why not
good call. CS is fun and cool and CS majors make it RAIN

what type of engineering do you do? and you too clubba. im leaning towards civil atm
AFAIK civil is considered the "easiest". Just FYI if you are a prestige *****.

@Blink, yea engineers can't write essays well in general. That's cuz our attitude towards formal essays is they're stupid and useless and not part of real life. Also we no good at da engrish.
oh come on. ability to write well is extremely important for just about everyone. engineers have to write up reports and stuff right? and even if the only writing you ever do is sending emails to coworkers i'm still gonna be pissed when your emails look like they come from someone who is ****ing illiterate. no matter what role you're in you gotta communicate well to be effective.

I am partially under this attitude, but not entirely seriously. You can't blame me. It is very painful to go through college doing absolutely insane schoolwork when your buddy business and English majors are futzing around with accounting and poem-interpretation classes.
my friend is a business major and he works harder than anyone I know. he is top of the class and all that though. i guess business is an easier major at many schools though.

I'm Mechanical and that's about as broad as it gets. It's not terrible, either, compared to some harder engineering majors, but that's all relative. It's still a massive ***** and you will have your work cut out for you. I once heard somebody say they switched from CSE to ME to play college on "easy mode". I aint' even mad. I gotta tip my hat to CSEs; that **** is otherworldly.
apparently at my school there is a big divide between the ME majors who do like simulations of fluid mechanics and **** vs the ME majors that actually design and build stuff. When I met some of the design school people I was like "holy **** you actually have to weld stuff together? that's ****ing nuts"

Meh, I disagree. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "formal essay writing", but I know from personal experience that I write damn good essays with very little effort (all those As in English and my electives gotta mean something, right?) when people who should be predispositioned toward good essay-writing struggle with it. I'm under the impression they're just a little dumber, haha.
And that's why they're majoring in English!
i guess you're really smart. i know that i do worse in essay classes than i do in problem set classes. i always blame it on the fact that i am competing with a bunch of people that are INSANELY good at writing. i always think my arguments are good and well-supported but I don't put the words together as well as others do.

I feel like engineering sort of conditions the mind to think more analytically and with reason, which translates over to pretty much anything else you would want to do, including English stuff.
i feel like this is especially true for Math and CS - when you have to program a computer or do a proof you REALLY have to make sure each step logically follows from the previous one.

LOOK AT THIS: http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/l...choice-of-college-major-sways-lsat-score.html
LOOK AT IT

It's gotta mean something that physicists and engineers do better on the LSAT than pre-law? For chrissake, they don't even stucy that ****, and ins't the LSAT all logic and reasoning?
LSAT is a general intelligence test, not a law-related test AFAIK. It makes sense then that people with good math and logic skills would do well.

Apparently they're not making new lawyers and they won't be in the near future, leaving a ****load of smart people with law school debts in between the good ol' rock and hard place, but I figure I can just be that good and get a clerkship or whatever by being in the top whatever percent.
good luck I guess - as you said lots of law school students wind up with few options - if you don't get that big firm job you're kinda screwed if you later decide you want a non-law job (they'll be like WTF did you get a law degree?)

I'd recommend this blog about law school:
http://barelylegalblog.blogspot.com/

also there's the whole fact that you're taking a smart person who could actually do some good for society and turning that person into a lawyer.

@CS- I don't know **** about computers, lol. Plus the one Computer lit class I took in high school was my least favorite class of all time.
FYI I really doubt that your high school computer class is that related to real CS/programming.

To be brief, there is no pre-law program and thus there is no burden for anyone doing a program other than the sciences/maths to succeed on the LSAT.
some schools have a pre law major. presumably though you learn about actual law stuff, NOT about how to take the LSAT.

Is it just me or does it seem like the smash 64 forum has a very high concentration of smart people? way more than melee and brawl forums it seems. Coincidence?

SSBPete

Smash Lord
solid response as per usual ballin

i kind of skimmed over what you've been saying so i may of missed it, but what exactly are you studying?

yeah civil is supposed to be easy compared to say, electrical or areospace engineering but in australia civil is usually the highest paid (not that it makes much difference) because of the coal mines and other developing civil structures

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
i double majored in physics and math, nearly got a cs minor... i work as a web developer now after hating my research job on wall street... there are so many ssb64ers that are physics/math/cs people... we'd probably be running the world if smash wasn't like crack

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
got back from Apex
most fun I have had in a long time.
64 was a lot of fun. I got used to a controller quickly!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
First time competitively.

Last time was let's see...whenever Smashtality III was (when I found out and got into the game by being 5 stocked repeatedly by Isai/Sensei/someone else)

So smashtality III was June 2nd/3rd 2007.

So 4 and a half years give or take.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I picked the particular group because it seemed more mathy (based on 1 hour interview though). The group uses statistics stuff apparently.
I worked for a month as a software engineer and I hope I don't have to do that again. Programming all day gets very tedious. It made me notice I'm actually way more sociable than I thought since I really started missing human interaction at the end of the working period.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
what do you guys think is more important?
Teching (including tech rolling) or Z-cancelling?

Obviously character matchups play a huge role in this. Forexample, when playing against a ness your going to deffinitely want teching over z cancelling. And when using fox, Z cancelling is more of a need than teching. However these are simply my opinion, and one is completely defensive and the other is completely offensive, so who knows. Basically, just try looking at the game as a whole.
i just wanted to see what you guys think. becuase i cant come up with a conclusian.

im kinda leaning towards teching>Z cancelling

Peek~

Smash Lord
Why does one have to be more important than the other?

You should always Z-Cancel and you dont always need to tech.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you can beat noobs without either

z-cancelling is not completely offensive at all, in fact half of the reason you use it is to avoid punishment to begin with

i think at a higher level z-cancelling is more important, opens up a lot of space control options

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
true true about offense thing.

i feel like with out teching though, if you get hit once your going to be punished badly.
imagine playing a ness at sector z. if you get dash attacked once, our going to be pushed like 15 times befor you finally get spiked at the other side of the map.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
If you can't z-cancel, you can't properly punish which means that you can't set up opportunities to punish other people's techs.

Teching and rolling is impotrtant but people tend to punish techs (play Boom or anyone near his skill level or a level below..you'll see what I mean)

Unless you main Ness/Yoshi or Kirby's Up tilt is 70 percent of what you use, Z-cancel is more important.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
just ness, yoshi, and kirby? try every character in the game.
yeah, without z cancelling the game is really slow and less punishable. but whats the alternative?
without teching if you get hit at more than 25 damage, you will be severely beat and loose your stock.
Both these situations are extremes and it really only comes down to whether or not smash would be better with a significant decrease in combos or a significant increase in combos.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
talking about what happens when one element is removed =/= talking about how important that element is to the game

purposely not teching is quite useful at times, whereas there is no reason whatsoever not to Z-cancel, unless you're playing jiggs, and even then it's not a big deal at all

note: if anything im arguing that z-cancelling is *slightly* more important, not that you can go without teching

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
He's saying that once you hit the ground (and can't tech), you can be strung along to your death by being repeatedly dash attacked (or something).

EVERY TIME

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i know that the argument regarding the importance of said elements shouldent solely be based on the outcome of the absence of one of those elements, but its certainly an argument that needs to be looked into.

He's saying that once you hit the ground (and can't tech), you can be strung along to your death by being repeatedly dash attacked (or something).

EVERY TIME
exactly. any attack would result in being combo'd to death.
i get that z canceling is HUGE. but teching prevents one from getting the same move spammed against him all game. (ie. nearly ANY dash attack and ness dair spam-> Headbut horror)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
removal of teching will up punishment and make knockdown moves a more pivotal part of the game

removal of z-cancelling kills a lot of combos, makes shielding a lot safer and will probably make ness top tier :awesome:

still not a strong argument for the importance of anything in the game as is

Top Bottom