• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

The Star King

Smash Hero
You responded to a perfectly innocent Kero story, with a girl who didn't do anything wrong, with "welcome to the opportunistic world of girls"

SEEMS LIKE YOU MIGHT BE BITTER ABOUT SOMETHING GIRL-RELATED IDK MAN

Shears

Smash Master
Eh yo yo yo yo yo! It's Kero the mother ****ing Great!! What's up what's up!!!

So IDK how many of you rascals know this, but i'm actually a secondary education major AS WELL as a math major. My goal is to be a HS math teacher. Like sup. Anyway. For this education class i'm taking, we have to tutor at this place called Job Corps once a week. Job Corps is pretty much a free education program that helps young people earn a GED or high school Diploma. You can also learn a trade, but i don't **** with that ****. As most of you know, i live in NY. Most of the kids at job corps are like inner city kids who dropped out of high school or whatever pretty young. Nah mean?

So i had my first like tutor-sesh today and it was ****ing awesome. I got paired up with this girl Lyla in the HS Diploma class. She was struggling with math, so I helped her with this 20 question test she had to do that covered like interest rates and taxes and ****. In order to pass the class, she had to pass this test in the first 2 tries and she had already failed the first. After i helped her out, she ended up getting a 95. (We got one question wrong that we guessed on cause we both had no ****ing clue what to do lol) She was so happy that she got a 95 on the test, she had the biggest smile on her face. She seemed so grateful. It was like the greatest feeling ever. It felt so great that i could actually make a difference and help someone, i felt so warm inside and i couldn't stop smiling. This was my first like semi-real teaching experience and it was incredible.

I had to share. Plus the weather is super duper nice so i'm in like an ultra ****ing sick mood right now.

Still gonna surpass you all in smash. J Natural is coming over TMRW so it should be F to the U N! Fun fun fun!

Anyways, gotta run. My pet dolphin wants to go to the dining hall, cashbah ***s.

-Kero the Great
How do you expect to become a high school math teacher if you can't get all the questions right? Perfection isn't achieved by getting questions wrong.

10nottop8chars.

Vale

Smash Ace
As a HS student, I don't know why you would want to teach HS students.

Anyways, what was the math question you weren't able to figure out?

M!nt

Smash Champion
Why would you want to teach high school teenagers these days are crazy

Sedda

Smash Champion
I think it's a good opportunity to help out.

idk, I think one big problem is probably people leaving hs and thinking "WELP, IM GLAD IT'S OVER," instead of looking back and seeing how they may be able to help change things.

Teenagers have always been crazy too, yeah. They'll take what you give them. Don't offer them too much and you're golden

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
What? High school students are the ****! I'd love to hangout with a bunch of younger me's all day. I can't think of a more fulfilling job that I would enjoy more.

Vale

Smash Ace
Hm I think it was something along the lines of:

Y=5X+1

What is the slope of this line?
Ah, yeah, this is a pretty rough one.
First, you need to take the derivatives of both sides.
dy/dx = 5

This can also be expressed as
dy = 5dx

Knowing this, we can find the slope at a point. Let's do 0, 10.
Because we've removed both x and y from the equation, we can simply write:

f'(0) = 5

So, we know the slope at x = 0 is 5.
Let's find the area under the curve from 0 to 10 to see how it changes.

dy = 5dx
integral [0,10] 5dx = 5(10) + C - (5(0) +C)
50 + C - 0 - C = 50

Now, we're trying to find the slope, so let's do this:
50/10 = 5

This matches with the slope at zero. Drawing a graph of the chart also seems to correlate with this answer. Let's make sure.

We have a point at (0,10), allowing us to integrate and do the following:
(y-10) = 5(x-0) + C

Point-slope form concurs, allowing us to be sure that the slope is 5.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
pretty sure you can just bat an eye at the equation and say the slope is 5 without all this paper-time-wasting math you did

Vale

Smash Ace
What? Mixa, they say only The Chosen One has the ability to find the slope of y = mx+b equations at the bat of an eye. Are you a god?

M!nt

Smash Champion
why is everyone on smashboards like math geniuses, makes me feel stupid for getting like low C's in college algebra :C

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I'd always had the worst Math teacher up until late high school, so I'd already invested all of my time into other things.

Math is hard to make enjoyable in HS because of all of the constraints that most state educational systems put on the subject. Really sad. Math is too useful. You can make keyboard adapters and ****

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
well, i had a teacher who told me he would take square roots of the license plates while he was in traffic. so i guess fun is fun.

i.e. i knew your post was a joke but i took it seriously because i hate math fun

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
math fun is the best fun. i play pen-and-paper pokemon battles with myself when i get bored.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I meant fun as in application obviously lol

I got like zero of that until I took physics (which was amazing).

Vale

Smash Ace
what? application problems and being productive automatically makes things less fun. why bother doing something if you know other people could benefit from it at some point?

Shears

Smash Master
What? Mixa, they say only The Chosen One has the ability to find the slope of y = mx+b equations at the bat of an eye. Are you a god?
well, i had a teacher who told me he would take square roots of the license plates while he was in traffic. so i guess fun is fun.

i.e. i knew your post was a joke but i took it seriously because i hate math fun
When someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

TempleofDreams

Smash Rookie
Just something I wanted to say here:

Kirby, Pikachu, Ness, Fox, Luigi, Link and Jigglypuff can go under Final Destination.
The easiest one to do was obviously Pikachu.
The hardest ones were:
4. Link
3. Fox
2. Ness
1. Luigi
For Fox you have to jump VERY accurately if you want to grab the ledge at the other side. Ness also needs very accurate jumps, but the hardest part was PSI Thundering his butt. For Luigi, he does not really needs accurate jumps, but you have to smash the B button during his Up-B, and it was really a pain because I play on a keyboard.
Link can do it only in the Japanese version, I think. I tried one hundred times, even with 999%, but I still couldn't make it in the NSTC version.
Captain Falcon and Mario could make it if it was possible to grab ledges while facing away from them like in Brawl.

Edit: err, actually, I meant to say Battlefield.
Edit 2: Mario might actually be able to do it too, but, for me, it is way, way too hard.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Just something I wanted to say here:

Kirby, Pikachu, Ness, Fox, Luigi, Link and Jigglypuff can go under Final Destination.
The easiest one to do was obviously Pikachu.
The hardest ones were:
4. Link
3. Fox
2. Ness
1. Luigi
For Fox you have to jump VERY accurately if you want to grab the ledge at the other side. Ness also needs very accurate jumps, but the hardest part was PSI Thundering his butt. For Luigi, he does not really needs accurate jumps, but you have to smash the B button during his Up-B, and it was really a pain because I play on a keyboard.
Link can do it only in the Japanese version, I think. I tried one hundred times, even with 999%, but I still couldn't make it in the NSTC version.
Captain Falcon and Mario could make it if it was possible to grab ledges while facing away from them like in Brawl.

Edit: err, actually, I meant to say Battlefield.
These are the 64 boards. There is no Battlefield or Final Destination

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Yo jake tell tommy to stop using the ****ing team youtube channel for his own personal ****. There's a playlist of his weird music on channel lol.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I was gonna say "shut up ___" as a joke but then I realized I don't even know Shears first name

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Stop using real names. They're Maliki and Stranded as far as the boards are concerned.
some of these recent posts from maliki and kero have been personal enough to justify that. it's always a personal message or like a roommate notice ("hey maliki goddamnit put up the videos on youtube already" -- "kero ur such a ******"), so whenever I read those posts I just picture one of them taking a dump in the bathroom and the other passing by, slamming on the door and shouting stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom