• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo Diddy Kong, no tag teams this time either

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To whom it may concern, there's an increasing amount of people 'complaining' that Diddy is fighting solo this time around and that Dixie has not been tagged with him. A good deal seems upset about this to, for reasons that I simply cannot fanthom.

All Diddy's Specials aside from Monkey Flip have been shown. Can't tell me that they would replace any other Special for the Dixie tag team mechanic than the Down B. It makes the most sense especially considering Zelda / Sheik and Pokémon Trainer's switch mechanics in previous titles.

This simply means, there will be no Dixie Kong involved in Diddy's moveset. And people would do best to not expect this to happen, regardless of whatever the hell your 'leaks' say (which you shouldn't believe anyway). Dixie Kong can still make it in as her own character, she is far from deconfirmed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here. Does both characters more justice in the end. People love to complain about Diddy being buffed with his flexibility, or that his Bananas are back, but they wouldn't even know how horribly inbalanced a Diddy / Dixie tagteam could potentially be.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'm against the idea of them being in together, we have to keep an open mind to the possibility. This is Sakurai. There are other ways to make it happen, the most plausible one being a change by using one of Diddy's taunts.

I do hope she's her own character and Diddy stays alone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Two of this three taunts have also been revealed already. I think we can easily assume that it's a 99,98% probability that Dixie will not enter the battle as a part of Diddy's moveset.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai would have to do a pretty good job to hide Dixie away when the duo idea is based off of tagging each other in, aka Dixie would always be in plain sight. Plus, what's there possibly to gain from keeping Dixie back? If they were a duo, surely they'd have shown both characters to super-promote Tropical Freeze. Plus, there's also the fact that Sakurai would just have ordered his team to make an official render, webpage and announcement for only half a character, which is a waste of resources if it's just replaced later on. Sakurai likes to troll, but not at the expense of wasting resources.

Diddy is alone, and that's guaranteed.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they really wanted to go all Ice Climber style with them, just revealing Diddy alone would be like... Revealing Popo alone, and Nana in a different update. Zero Suit Samus is another story, and Sheik is to if she is to come back (won't take the debate here). But those characters are legit transformations, I doubt anyone would ever think Diddy is gonna swap with Dixie in mid battle and Dixie being nowhere in sight. Ice Climbers are togheter on their render, and so was Pokémon Trainer with all Pokémon he uses. There's no way that a Kong tagteam duo wouldn't be shown off initially.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I just never thought that a Diddy/Dixie tag team would add all that much to the game. We already have transformation characters, which is what they would be in practice. It isn't some essential part of their character since they were only a team once in ever, and they both have enough potential to be solo fighters.

I think people just want to see Dixie in and feel that this whole month would've been the time to reveal, so now they gotta find some possible way that she's still in.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm so happy Diddy's solo. Tagging him or any kong with another makes no sense whatsoever, and anyone who's read my rants about it knows why. Each of the kongs can stand on their own, and I'm glad Smash is gonna show it.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I never really believed they would be a tag team, but I'm glad to see it confirmed nonetheless. It wouldn't be doing either Diddy or Dixie any favours anyway if you ask me. Diddy already had an excellent moveset and playing style, why waste time and endless coding trying to change that? Besides, the fact that random tripping was removed just makes Diddy's moveset seem even more unique in my opinion.

If Dixie gets put in on her own, she has more than enough options at her disposal for an isolated moveset; there was just no need to bastardise the two of them by giving them Ice Climber Syndrome.

All in all, I'm excited to mess around with him again. The new flexibility mechanic he has looks intriguing as well.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
As much as I'm against the idea of them being in together, we have to keep an open mind to the possibility. This is Sakurai. There are other ways to make it happen, the most plausible one being a change by using one of Diddy's taunts.

I do hope she's her own character and Diddy stays alone.
No use deluding ourselves, bro. Diddy has already been shown with his standalone moveset, Dixie ain't part of it.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I hope they're not together. It doesn't even make sense since they only tag teamed in DKC2. That's like justifying Diddy Kong switching out with Donkey Kong. It's unnecessary.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong , I just want to point out that it is possible for one of Diddy's moves or taunts consist of him going into a barrel that says "DD" in red, then the Barrel rotating and showing a pink "DX" on the other side, and Dixie pops out.

Not saying that it is super likely, I am just just saying it is possible.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Dixie totally would be her own character. I never understood the want for them to be a duo. Plus I never expected her to be confirmed for Tropical Freeze. I always figured if she'sin the game she'd be unlockable and therefore revealed post-release.

Top Bottom