• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some art.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Haven't been doing too much art other than sketches in pen and pencil now and then.
Pencil and I go way back, so I've been giving it some love the past year. These aren't really new by any means, but I thought I'd share anyways.

That's me. Well, me last summer.

Drew this for a friend. Popular K-Pop group Big Bang. I gotta say, it was really hard getting their eyes right when they were that small.

And just cause I happened to do this recently and took photos...
Made using watercolour paper, watercolours, and a lot of time.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wow, wow, wow. Very very talented. I think the eyes look pretty accurate? And with being that small I find it that much better.

Sick talent.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Some of the best stuff I've seen in quite a while, no joke. Accuracy of anatomical proportion is astounding, that's something I never quite mastered as a child. There's such realism that I thought the second one was like an old photo when I first glanced at it. *applaudes*

The flower sculpture is nice, too. It's 3 dimensional but has like a painterly look to it. Really cool stuff.

You oughta keep updating this thread if possible, a lot of pencil drawn art threads die off quickly...

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Wow, very nice. I really like that second picture, great shading.

Thanks for sharing.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Really excellent!
You have a LOT of talent! Keep up the good work!
I think we'd all like to see more :3

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Thanks everyone.
Actually, the anatomical accuracy has very little to do with my understanding of the human body, and far more to do with my abilities in visual reproduction.

Well seeing as how I don't really have new material, I'll just post these up. I don't like reposting art but hey, you guys asked.

The last big watercolour I've worked on, (not actually that big). This was done about a year and a half ago.

Wow this must be two years old by now. A small cut of Sandro Botticelli's 'The Birth of Venus' in oil.

If you'd like to know what the original painting is like, here's a link:
http://artloss.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/botticelli-birth-venus.jpg

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Your Birth of Venus is BEAUTIFUL. Oil painting looks hard to work with. When I was a kid I went to this art studio but I never managed to try it, I was scared :[

mzink*

Smash Ace
Great stuff, I really like the first one.
Also the water color scenery is very very beautiful, something I could just stare at lol.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
personally i think it's some talent, but from my experience of make artwork, most of what you see is developed skill. I'm not saying anything bad about your work mkmelee, what I'm saying i that your level of skill shown here (from what I see) is a development from previous works you've done and not something just handed to you. Good for you on that part and I encourage you to continue doing your thing and possibly explore new mediums to work with. Tried charcoal or conté before? I'm not a pencil shading type of guy but conte's pretty fun to work with, it's more flexible than a graphite pencil.

Heck you can draw from observation better than I can, how long have you been doing so? i'm almost always drawing from imagination.

edit: actually, with your landscape painting, i would next time, blur the edges of the mountains so that they aren't so defined giving it some intense atmospheric perspective on that part. but this is an old piece so.. yeah.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot everyone. You're all too kind.

haha that much is pretty clear A17. In my opinion the greatest talent lies simply in a great passion.
If you have the desire and motivation to work at your art, to revel in your imagination, and to eventually make beautiful pieces, you'll get somewhere.
Not to say that I'm there, but I'm still loving it and I'll keep working at it.

Haven't had that much time lately though... I'm in my first year in Life Sciences at U of Toronto and it's draining...
I have a hard time doing art (aside from sketches) in small intervals of time. Unless I'm able to find a good 5 or so hours to work, I usually won't. Which is pretty unfortunate... Not very good with time management.
Can't wait until the Christmas break though : )

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to paint as accurately as I knew how to the original photo. Which isn't very watercolour-like of an objective hehe. It was tough and certainly not perfect, but I like it anyways.

Yeah I've tried both of those, and I enjoy them. I don't really go out to use conte often though. Charcoal's really cool, but it always seems to disappoint me.
It may just be the materials I use, but the charcoal pencils always seem too waxy, and the charcoal sticks are too fragile and dull-tipped to be of major use for my needs. I need that combination of accurate and controlled, and yet dark and smudgy...

So I'll try to post stuff up. I doubt I'll find the time for anything new...

Top Bottom