• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Good Mind Games for Gannon

Gensuke

Smash Rookie
i'm trying to step up my mind games before i enter a tourney next week, thought that if anyone could help me out with some good mind games and or VS char strategies it could step up my shots of winning

Gensuke

Smash Rookie
yeah i got that one down, i love to gannoncide when i'm up a stock it makes me feel good. but spamming flame choke isn't going to do much at a competitive level.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
yeah i got that one down, i love to gannoncide when i'm up a stock it makes me feel good. but spamming flame choke isn't going to do much at a competitive level.
Well...at a competitive level, I think wake up games centered around flame choke will be a key part of Gannondorf's game. Which isn't the same as spamming Flame Choke per se'.

You know the Flame Choke/Gerudo Dragon wake up game, right?

I think the flowchart goes like,

1.) Land Flame Choke.
A.) If they don't do anything, hit them with an attack off the ground. This attack can be:
i.) Dtilt at low percentage to relaunch them and force them to predict between another Flame Choke, an Shield Throw, a FSmash or Warlock Punch if you are feeling nervy.
ii.) UpSmash and follow with an aeriel mix up game.
B.) If they do a wake-up attack, Shield Throw
C.) If they roll, pursue with Flame Choke
i.) if it's a behind roll, and you're feeling brave, you can also do a Warlock Punch and turn around as you are doing it. Not safe, this is more just for fun.

I know it's pretty basic, but I think that's the mix-up game as it stands. I could be wrong.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
^
add this to the above.

this only works with chars heavier or about the same as mario, low percentages.

Dthrow
sideb
dtilt
ftilt or a

that should be a relatively reliable combo. First Dthrow might have your opponent DI out of range, once a person is in the air, everything is hard to say because of easy air dodges, and DI. Thats why ganon's side b is pretty key since it keep em down. After side b, if the character tried to roll out, go ahead and trap em in with dsmash. If you get the dtilt in, and you feel lucky, go fsmash. Or maybe another sideb.

Make sure to try it out on your friends first.

genus

Smash Rookie
I prefer punishing a tech behind Ganon with an fsmash than warlock punch, the damage is comparable and you're not exposed as long.

I recommend using the utilt every now and then from a distance against a character of moderate speed *and no projectiles*. I find people expect the utilt to have a worse range than it really does, and not wanting to risk a pummeling characters try to go right outside its hitbox to exploit the lag after...and eat the laggiest attack in the game. It's a good idea to spam the fsmash a lot when you can afford to-not only will they think you're a bad player, and advance on you recklessly, but they'll be getting surprised by jabs and sparta kicks later on. The best tip I can give someone working on their mindgames is to establish a basic pattern for your opponent to pick up on, then change your habits drastically. A lot of players just can't cope, or improvise tactics that far into a match.

IDK32

Smash Rookie
Well...at a competitive level, I think wake up games centered around flame choke will be a key part of Gannondorf's game. Which isn't the same as spamming Flame Choke per se'.

You know the Flame Choke/Gerudo Dragon wake up game, right?

I think the flowchart goes like,

1.) Land Flame Choke.
A.) If they don't do anything, hit them with an attack off the ground. This attack can be:
i.) Dtilt at low percentage to relaunch them and force them to predict between another Flame Choke, an Shield Throw, a FSmash or Warlock Punch if you are feeling nervy.
ii.) UpSmash and follow with an aeriel mix up game.
B.) If they do a wake-up attack, Shield Throw
C.) If they roll, pursue with Flame Choke
i.) if it's a behind roll, and you're feeling brave, you can also do a Warlock Punch and turn around as you are doing it. Not safe, this is more just for fun.

I know it's pretty basic, but I think that's the mix-up game as it stands. I could be wrong.
If you do the wizard's foot fast enough after a short hop Ganon will just slam his fist into the ground as if he just landed from it, works well after the flame choke. Doesn't do much damage, but doesn't do much knockback either so you can easily combo off of that.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
If you do the wizard's foot fast enough after a short hop Ganon will just slam his fist into the ground as if he just landed from it, works well after the flame choke. Doesn't do much damage, but doesn't do much knockback either so you can easily combo off of that.
QFT.

Like Devil7 said, short hopping an aerial with the right timing can kill the opponent. I've gotten quite a few kills by shielding the wakeup attack, then short hopping a fair. Same with Dair, and Nair can be used in a pinch if you think it's not going to work out how you want.

Also you can try and roll in the same direction as them and then Wizard's foot them (E.G. You face forward towards them then flame choke, they roll right, you roll right, you're both the same distance from each other as before, you wizard's foot and follow up with uair/fair/whatever you want to use)

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
Flame Choke can be followed by Uair if they roll behind you, that'll sometimes pop them up into the range of a Bair.

If you're looking for mindgames though, try SH a turn-around Warlock Punch, and yell "O CRAP, WRONG DIRECTION", you'll be surprised how often people instinctively roll "behind" you and get hit. You'll never get it twice in the same match though....

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
Flame Choke can be followed by Uair if they roll behind you, that'll sometimes pop them up into the range of a Bair.

If you're looking for mindgames though, try SH a turn-around Warlock Punch, and yell "O CRAP, WRONG DIRECTION", you'll be surprised how often people instinctively roll "behind" you and get hit. You'll never get it twice in the same match though....
That is a friggin sweet idea.:chuckle: However the use of the warlock in general is a good mind game. It will really break someones technique requiring them to come in fast to not get hit or dodge away giving you some recovery time to.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
here's one of my favroties:

scare 'em with a Thunder Stomp/lagless Dair (out of a dash works really well. but don't do it in place...move it forward or backward), and when you land, immediately tap towards your opponent and hit down C....you'll do a dash attack immediately out of your Dair. brtual.

basically, any of Ganon's moves that don't have any lag afterwards are good for mind-games. the upsmash is another one that i've discovered recently. if you miss with it, you can follow up IMMEDIATELY with a Spartan Kick, or flame choke, or what have you.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
a lot of these ideas imply that you're standing a good distance from the opponent and that the opponent doensn't have projectiles. what should i do to say a pit who just charges in and fights close-range? the flame choke can be rolled around and it's really punishable if you miss, and fsmashes aren't exactly gonna work much better. if i try to go airborne he just up smashes out of dash.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Against heavy characters like Bowser, Snake, and Ike, a really fun one is to run at them, and if they wait and attempt to smash you when you are close, I like to just quickly roll behind em, and get a slightly charged Downsmash on em. Works pretty often, and people hate it.

Also, why do people roll behind Ganondorf after a flame choke? My friends thought I was cheating because they always rolled behind me, so I always got em with a f-smash :( My friend doesnt wanna play me 1v1 anymore because of that...

Sliq

Smash Master
All of these ideas are terrible. All of you people suck.

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
just die right off
they will think you r hella weak and lower thier gaurd.
if the first suicide dosent do it, try agian. They will stop taking you seriously and thier guard will be down.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Up-tilt (Volcano Kick) has some mindgame potential. It's an attack with a 2 second (?) charge/delay but (a lesser known) vacuum effect.

I used it pretty often and racked quite a few kills (or at least, hits) against people today. If you start it when they're at a distance/dropping, they sometimes lose the sense of timing (that is, how long you've been holding your leg above your head) and resolve to stand in front of you shielding- and take the hit on their shield.

If someone's recovering and you use the up-tilt 2-3 Ganon-lengths from the edge, there's a good chance that they'll feel safe and then get sucked into the kick.

Along the same lines, if someone's near the edge of the 'projected' kick, they sometimes walk away just a bit, but get sucked back a bit juuust enough to get hit by the explosion.

Also, if an Ike tries to use Quick Draw (side B) on your Volcano Kick, he will hit you and go flying off the level. Go go vacuum.

I can't be too certain of this right now, but the delay after the actual kick doesn't seem to be too much (?) and if that's true, you can use it to bait people to 'punish' you, but reverse it on them instead.

any corrections/comments would be appreciated xD

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
All of these ideas are terrible. All of you people suck.
i am SO glad that you had some intelligent thoughts to bring to this discussion. truly, i cannot express how much more worth living our lives are now that you have brought this to our attention.

Sliq

Smash Master
i am SO glad that you had some intelligent thoughts to bring to this discussion. truly, i cannot express how much more worth living our lives are now that you have brought this to our attention.
My post was more intelligent than some of the "mindgames" proposed in this thread.

Massiveguns

Smash Apprentice
best mind games a ganon can do would have to be the valcano kick edge guard
step 1) make sure you are max distance from a ledge almost the full ledge of your B -> is what i use
step 2)wait untill right before some1 uses there B up to grab a ledge and start using up tilt
step 3) right when they lose invulnerability from the ledge (this is also right when they can move) ur up tilt will drop on them and cause 18 % and kill any target above 130 % up

this isnt a for sure thing but if timed right the only way to dodge is by releasing the ledge and falling back down..... DO IT AGAIN! (they can just not grab the ledge ... but lets face it most people will)

goateeguy

Smash Ace
just die right off
they will think you r hella weak and lower thier gaurd.
if the first suicide dosent do it, try agian. They will stop taking you seriously and thier guard will be down.
wow, that makes so much sense! now i'm gonna do you a favor and kill you so that your mortal enemy's guard will be down for when you reincarnate!

Top Bottom