• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some quick questions...

null55

Smash Master
Yeah, please ignore this if they're too ignorant, but I had some questions that I needed answering...

Firstly, I'm sure at least some of you noticed that Falco has this strange (and appropriate) ability of shooting ridiculously high in the air when he comes into contact with other players when they use their recovery moves. If you don't know how to do it, just go practice at a simple place like Smashville against a Snake and attempt to footstool him as you knock him off. If you do it right by failing to footstool and he successfully recovers, as his cypher is summoned you actually propel like 800,000 feet in the air... Anyway, does anyone else has this ability or is it just Falco? I don't understand how it could be useful, I was just curious.

Secondly, I was messing around with some comps the other day, and this may be some sort of fluke, but I fast fall'd a fair (don't remember if it was short hop or full jump) at the edge of the stage and I think it possibly spiked the cpu as it was trying to recover. Has anyone else ever managed to get the same effect?

crimsonhaze

Smash Cadet
fair spiking, interesting. haven't done/seen it done, by i guess it could be done.. ill check it out.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
Well Falco is a fantastic jumper. Maybe the footstooling just exaggerates this characteristic.

As for the fair, are you sure you just didn't hit the comp with the last hit, knocking it further away?

null55

Smash Master
No, not really. The cpu just went straight down. It was at a low enough percent that it didn't go far enough, but I imagine past 100 or so it'd be lethal. I should be clearer though, I didn't to a persisting fair, i.e. falling off the stage while fairing. In fact, I didn't even leave the stage area at all. I fast fall'd at the edge without departing from it. The comp just... plummeted.

And I didn't footstool, I was too late and I shot in the air at ridiculous heights. I've done this a lot against the CPU actually. It's right as their recovery initiates I believe. Again, at this point I don't think it's useful, just wondering what the #$%& is happening and if any other character can do it.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of eating my foot later, I'm going to say that the jump thing is just a footstool without the footstool animation. any character can do this I believe, if it's timed right. I've seen Falco use it in teams actually. He was teamed with an Ike, and just as ike used his -->B falco hopped off his head to ridiculous heights, while Ike continued his -->B. This could why you are pretty sure it wasn't a footstool, because the character doesn't suffer the effects of the footstool.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
If you footstool someones shield you just fly up without any animation. This may be more of the same kind of physics.

null55

Smash Master
At the risk of eating my foot later, I'm going to say that the jump thing is just a footstool without the footstool animation. any character can do this I believe, if it's timed right. I've seen Falco use it in teams actually. He was teamed with an Ike, and just as ike used his -->B falco hopped off his head to ridiculous heights, while Ike continued his -->B. This could why you are pretty sure it wasn't a footstool, because the character doesn't suffer the effects of the footstool.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
That's precisely what I'm talking about...

But your explanation doesn't make sense. It's not a footstool without the footstool animation, because Falco doesn't go nearly as high with a successful, or regular footstool. Plus, the definition of a footstool is jumping on the opponent's head, and they fall down, immobilized for a short period of time. It isn't a footstool, it's a rocket jump-type thing.

If you footstool someones shield you just fly up without any animation. This may be more of the same kind of physics.
Fly up in what way? If this is the super big whopper 800 mile atom bomb boost clearance over the statue of liberty hop that I'm talking about, then yes you could be right. For some reason when I first did though, I got this strange impression that it had something to do with the recover move. It's as if Falco takes the momentum of what the opponent is about to do with their up-b and he shoots into the sky.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
Ahh I didn't realize he jumped higher than a footstool would allow him to. Does he jump pretty much off the screen?

null55

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure he does. It's at least pretty **** close, I know that.

But who else can do this is the question... Falco having is own little random bird physics makes me happy, even if it is useless.

J4pu

Smash Champion
That super jump thing has happened to me too Shiro, a long time ago it happened quite often.
Then I learned about the physics of GW's UpB and just assumed they were all against GW's (I don't really remember who they were against since it wasn't all that big of a deal to me back then since it seemed pretty useless)
But now that you have also experienced this I'm assuming they weren't all against G&W's.

As for how it happens, I've got no real idea, sorry.

HabiT

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, does anyone else has this ability or is it just Falco

You should mess around with your fair in the same situation you were in to see if you can get it to spike again. If fair can spike, maybe it's worth using... Probably not, still XD. It's such trash.

null55

Smash Master
The "Persisting fair" destroys space animals. Far from trash in that regard.

Fair isn't so bad if it's full jumped either. It's an underrated move in it's current state.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
in regards to the fair spike, what it could be is using the fair, hitting the other character with one of the middle hits with the fair and getting hit by part of the other characters' upB, they go down and you go up.
Actually i've only seen this done on bowser, and it was either in the 'no weakness' combo vid or some other one, lemme look.

EDIT: (no weakness link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SQ90Pjw_UnM )A similar footstool hop w/o animation happens at 1:35-1:40 ish against a ROB in that video. Is this what you were talking about?

EDIT2: two examples of aformentioned fair spikes while being hit against bowser are at 6:40

:026:

null55

Smash Master
Those two parts of the video are exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the help.

6:40 - If the last hit in fair doesn't connect, or is canceled by something (in this case Bowser's upB) it spikes. There we go. The thing is, I did this while still on the edge of the stage and I guess I managed to just not finish the move and it spiked the CPU right off.

1:35-1:40 - Ha, I guess this is only useful if you play a R.O.B., since his recovery, in this case, is the easiest to pull off something like this with. I'm pretty sure I've gone considerably higher than this, I guess it's because they were so low on the screen. Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking, just so everyone can see it and understand it. It isn't a foot stool. It's a Peregrine Swoop (!) (God, I'm the man.)

Top Bottom