• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Tips on Nervous-Messing-Up Stuff?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Hihi!

ehyeah...topic title. I tend to screw up on my shffls, SHDFairs and combos a lot against humans because I'm afraid of what'll happen if I mess up, as screwed up shffls are punishable by all means. I'm primarily a Marth player but I AT more with Falco and I've been knocked out of the ballpark by messing up shffled nairs (more often than not I try to move farther horizontally and end up doing an fair). I also tend to not ledgehop-spike because I've messed that up a LOT and it ends up costing me the match. Against compies I can do a lot of these things but I just freeze up for some reason.

For example (this is a crappy one b/c it proves my TOTAL suckage >>), today I brought SSBM to school for my friend's Ninty informative speech...went to FD; he's Mario and I'm Marth. I was so nervous about it (only chance to play it during a class and I trashed talked him like mad earlier) that I just kept messing up shffls and jc'ed grabs etc. Some of his recoveries would have been an easy ledgehop - spike but I played it safe. He KO'ed me three times with Fsmash edgeguard because I kept on timing my UpB ledgegrab wrong.

So...help? ^^ Thanks muchly!

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Play in more tournies. Really. It's totally normal to be nervous in your first tournies, but after a while you just get used to the atmosphere of it.

I brought my gamecube to school a while back and remember doing terribly because I was nervous. The guys there had this guy whom they all worshipped as the best smash player ever (he was one of those "best of the noobs" guys though. An upB/fsmash spamming Kirby, believe it or not). I acualy lost the first game against him because of how nervous I was. I kept missing wavedashes (which means I was eating a lot of smash attacks I saw comming from a mile away), and kept DIing wrong on almost everything.

I was taunted so much by this total noob and his possy that I was more pissed in my second match against him, and wasn't nervous anymore. I 4-stocked him that time, taking 60% damage total against his Kirby (he changed to Falco after that game), then 4-stocked his Falco, only taking a few lasers as hits.

All that to say I understand how beeing nervous affects your game. It can be HUGE. The remedy to it is to play more under pressure. Start recording your matches at home when you play against friends. Knowing your matches are recorded sometimes makes people nervous.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Heh, thanks...haven't actually played in any tournies though (got into pro two months ago), nor do I have a particularly "new" camera (I need to buy one).

Selphious

Smash Cadet
You should get a capture card instead of a camera, works much better. And for being nervous, there's not really anything you can do about that, that's just somethin you have to overcome I guess.

clowsui

Smash Legend
It's not really the nervousness of just being in a match either; it's just a nervousness of "****e i'm probably gonna mess up on this shffl" and not actually doing it when I could've done it in the x amount of chances that I had...any tips on that?

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
money match more often, watch more videos to learn from the pros (not combo videos), and practice by going to more smashfests and tournaments.

clowsui

Smash Legend
This might sound kinda stupid but what is t3h Ken Combo? From what I've read its like Fair-Fair-Dair or something...help?

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Tournaments are alot of help. At my first tourny I was so nervous facing people I've seen on youtube and etc. Pretty much hoping I didn't come off as a total noob. In my first match I completely forgot almost all advanced techs and started rolling like a madman.

But after that initial match I felt better and was actually hitting combos and stuff although be careful not to get nervous when you are about to win a match at a tourny. I was up 1-0, 2 stocks and I bombed my second match of the tourny because I got nervous about winning.

Also the ken combo is basically anything that ends in a fair-> dair.

Husband

Smash Lord
You may think Im joking, but Im truely not at all....

I have a problem with my nervs and its been there so long. hahaha, thats why some ppl say Im good and others say Im bad. I play amazingly in friendlies so all those ppl say Im good but in tourney, I joke.

So I go to the best person in whe Universe to go to... Yoda. I literally watch star wars and just listen to what he has to say and aply it to smash and I go over the things he says during my game and it seriously helps.

I guess you have to think of a positive thing when playing to get the nervs off your mind.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I have a similar problem with nerves, but only in the first couple matches; by the later rounds I normally forget to worry about what is going on and play much better.

When I'm nervous, I get excited and full jump instead of short hop and sometimes miss the jump button and dash attack instead :(

And Husband; Yoda? Really? For me it helps to just get used to not criticizing myself in my mind and just play; the only one that is putting the pressure on you is you. If you just use your concentration to ignore your surroundings and focus only on what you have to do with out criticizing yourself, you'll do just fine. A world record holder and gold medalist in the Olympics told me that two years ago and with discipline it really helps.

AS Money

Smash Lord
in the begining i had bad nerves but now with a few torunys under the belt i seem fine.

and dosn't wife make himself have to pee to play better?

Tyson651

Smash Lord
im never nervous in tourneys, except when the opponent and i are both at 100% on the last stock then my heart rate probably doubles, and i can feel the blood pumped in my head, and i get tunnel vision and it goes crazy, probably only cause its tense match.

otherwise, if im getting my *** kicked, or kicking someones ***, im not nervous at all, this all varies between people, some people are naturally not nervous at all, or gets use to it very easily, on the other hand, some people cant get over it, and just has to deal with it every time.

i think ur nervousness is just cause uve created ur reputation in a way where u dont want to look bad, but if u can do it near perfect at home, im sure u should just tell ur self to be confident, and theres no way u can screw up, and even if u do, at least u tried, and the people there wouldnt be able to do it any better than u anyway.

if u dont give ur self a chance, u will never improve, this is all experience, u can never get good or get over it unless u try it.

EDIT: what i really love to do to decrease the amount of nervousness, is to wear a nice comfy sweater, thats warm, and doesnt allow any of the cold temperature around affect ur body. when ur nervous, ur shakey, and it also increases the prone-ness to becoming shakey. so when u wear a sweater, u feel warm, ur shakey-ness wont happen, and u feel more confident about ur self.

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
I find the first thing to help me not be nervous is practicing. Honestly, I talk **** a lot, and a lot of the time I'm really nervous because I have to balk up my trash talking. But nowadays, if i practice a lot by myself, knowing that I can land all my techs and wavedashes and shdfs consistently (i guess it helps because i'm also a fox/falco player) I won't be nervous because I know I won't screw up.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
I get nervous too when playing either against like 2 computers, or more.

I can do fine on a one on one match. But in a team match against 2 people, or even like a 4 way brawl i do stop wave dashing, an jst stick to the basic beat ups.

Best thing to do. Is practise an practise.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Thanks for the advice, guys...lol @ Husband. Yoda? I'll try that sometime.

After reading t3h King's essay of sorts on becoming better/"reaching the pantheon(sp?)", I think I got the hang of what I needed to do...hope this thread can help others too; I'm sure there are people taking a peek at this as they have their own probs w/ this matter.

Marthpaladin

Smash Rookie
Nice to know I'm not the only one that is badly affected with being nervious. When I was new to the advanced techniques, I was too afraid I would mess up and I wouldn't use them. Instead I used Dsmash, dash attacks, and rolled too much(especially since using Dsmash and dash attacks a lot is a bad idea as Marth.) I have improved greatly since then because it feels natural to SHFFLC, WD, space fairs etc.

My biggest problem now is my lack of experience against players my level and better. I have yet to fight a Falco that know what L-canceling and SHL are, so if I fight a Falco in a tournament, I will be weakened severely by my worries and probably get horribly slaughtered.

Another weakness I have is that I don't believe that my DI will ever save me at high percentages. When I play some1, I always seem to react only when it's too late. Since I don't play against humans often at all, is there a way to improve DI without them?

clowsui

Smash Legend
I always DI late too...I guess you just have to practice it. Maybe just sit around and let a lvl 9 smash you off the edge/hit you. That way, you'll learn to do it instinctively (they rarely ever charge smash and they jab often; I've seen them do shfflcs accidentally) and it'll be easy when the real thing comes.

I roll a lot (I can perfect WD) because I've f'ed up on WDing more than once...but I'm trying to implement it into my game more. I tend to overuse shffled nairs because I don't want to use shffled fairs until I've mastered SHDfair.

EDIT: By the by, does anyone else screw up those quick utilts to start a combo/use after throw? I always do, I end up either pushing the Control Stick too far and jump->uairing or pushing A and the Control Stick too hard and usmashing. Tips?

Marthpaladin

Smash Rookie
I had already tried the method of letting a comp hit me, but I stopped trying it. You're probably right that it will come instinctively if I countinue, so I'll try it again. It might take some time to find the perfect comp character that uses a semi powerful attack that's not too slow often enough. Thx for the advice.

I think one of the reasons I'm late is I don't use the C-stick enough. For DSH fair I usually use A for the first and C for the second, and I also use C for smashes and bair. The problem is that I don't use it for anything else other than what was mentioned.

Top Bottom