• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some WTF moments yesterday with Marth:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'm sure most of you know of these things, but i've never experienced them before until yesterday, and they got me pretty aggravated.

1.) Each phase of dancing blade counts towards the same stale moves negation? That means after two full combos its at the weakest it can be...

2.) Bowser's jab out ranges Marth's d-tilt.

3.) C.Falcon canceled out my tipper FSmash with a jab.

The third one really had me puzzled, low priority my as$. Again, most of you probably knew about these, but they were new to me, lol

Feel free to post your own WTF?!?! moments that you've experienced with Marth.

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
What about this one:

1 out of 99 times marth grabs the ledge after a dolphin slash, then "pops" off the ledge, and you have to regrab.

plz tell me that has happened to at least one other person, cuz it happens to me atleast once a day.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
yea, that happens to me as well. i believe it's called a ledge cancel. and its annoying as hell >_>

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The utility of f-tilt and d-tilt varies with each opponent you face.

D-tilt is not that effective vs Bowser since he leans forward while keeping his legs back. If you stand at the normal spacing of the d-tilt it will miss since his legs are farther away.

In this case use more f-tilt, since the f-tilt will outrange his moves.

This has been a pro-tip moment by Emblem Lord.

Also..lol..perfectly timed attacks canceling out other moves is old news son.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

D-tilt is not that effective vs Bowser since he leans forward while keeping his legs back. If you stand at the normal spacing of the d-tilt it will miss since his legs are farther away.

I see, that makes sense. Not that I have much trouble against Bowser in the first place, lol. But that does help. thanks

And, I know... but just the fact that it was Mr. Zero Priority himself canceling my strongest move with a jab. It got me, well, ****ing pissed.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

So I take it you are highly respected among the Marth Threads...anyway I am learning a few neat tricks in this thread...

My name's Kinzer (Ike) Nice to meet you! *puts hand in front...maybe somebody will shake*

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
So I take it you are highly respected among the Marth Threads...anyway I am learning a few neat tricks in this thread...

My name's Kinzer (Ike) Nice to meet you! *puts hand in front...maybe somebody will shake*
hey welcome to the board. and yea, emblem lord has done a lot to develop Marth's current metagame. so he is well respected. *shakes your hand*

i HATE ike though, so we cant be friends :(

lol jk

Learning that Falco's fsmash is longer than Marth's was crazy.
fo serious? lol I didn't know that either...

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Well, marth's hits behind and above.

0 is opponent, for he is a loser.
_1 is marth, for he is number one. that is the diagram.

0 just got tipped by an fsmash because he was above and behind 1, AND was stupid enough to think he could simply attack. not a real big deal, but eh.. :)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
This wasn't in the game but on SmashBoards a few weeks ago, an Ike main tried to convince me that Ike's Fsmash is just as fast as Marth's. It was a sad moment. *Shakes Kinzer's hand* nice to meet you!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
This wasn't in the game but on SmashBoards a few weeks ago, an Ike main tried to convince me that Ike's Fsmash is just as fast as Marth's. It was a sad moment. *Shakes Kinzer's hand* nice to meet you!
You're kidding right...I hope you didn't give that guy any sympathy, did you?

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
The range of Marth's fsmash makes me wanna cry XO, so many times have they been JUST out of reach after a high delay attack and I miss =[. If only Marth would take a **** step forward like he does with shieldbreaker instead of doing a girl standing twirl like a ballerina

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
GPEternity; think's like that are all about spacing and experience.

Overtime you'll learn 'perfectly' (MAYBE, hell, it's hard) the hitbox of the sword. As some noob guy said "walking is top tier", it doesn't take a lot to just walk a few steps forward to fsmash.

Hell, they're lagging from a move, dash upsmash would probably be enough.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
I'm sure most of you know of these things, but i've never experienced them before until yesterday, and they got me pretty aggravated.

1.) Each phase of dancing blade counts towards the same stale moves negation? That means after two full combos its at the weakest it can be...
It's said that this is a good thing, because then your other moves are quickly restored!
2.) Bowser's jab out ranges Marth's d-tilt.
O_O
3.) C.Falcon canceled out my tipper FSmash with a jab.
and... O_O
The third one really had me puzzled, low priority my as$. Again, most of you probably knew about these, but they were new to me, lol

Feel free to post your own WTF?!?! moments that you've experienced with Marth.
10characters

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol...you do realize that if you tried to a do a sword swing like Marth's f-smash you would break your arm? His swing keeps the sword close to him and he doesn't fully extend his body. The speed of the swing combined with the fact that Marth holds the weapon at and angle and close to his body means no normal human could really do this and come out uninjured.

That means he is literally fighting the weight of the blade as he swings instead of flowing with the weight.

Marth's sword arm >>>> Sephiroth's and Cloud's combined.

But seriously his f-smash looks so ****ing unnatural and painful now. It's just...ugly.

I actually like sword play in real life so seeing Marth move so gracefully and then look at his f-smash stance and it's like....EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lol...you do realize that if you tried to a do a sword swing like Marth's f-smash you would break your arm? His swing keeps the sword close to him and he doesn't fully extend his body. The speed of the swing combined with the fact that Marth holds the weapon at and angle and close to his body means no normal human could really do this and come out uninjured.

That means he is literally fighting the weight of the blade as he swings instead of flowing with the weight.

But seriously his f-smash looks so ****ing unnatural and painful now. It's just...ugly.

I actually like sword play in real life so seeing Marth move so gracefully and then look at his f-smash stance and it's like....EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
Yeah... Marth's sword form is horrible for the F-smash, I do fencing and a variety of different martial arts IRL and no... just no.

Everyone, try doing it yourself (without the sword), the position is incredibly unbalanced, unwieldy and uncomfortable. For pete's sake marth, if you wanna move your center of gravity forward move your f****** leg! And keep your body straight. If you did that instead of leaning forward fsmash would be safe on block.

Which reminds me... wavedashing is the closest approximation to how actual martial artists and fencers move in combat, walking/running sucks in a fight.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

unnatural, yes...painful...not really, but that's coming from the human pretzel boy, but that's without a sword...I don't wanna take any chances and grab the blade in the garage...

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
i've tried it with a sword before, it feels so stupid.

1- the stance has the sword palm down, so to make sure the sword comes down right you have to twist your wrist mid swing
2- the full body twist itself feels so wrong to begin with. i bet the awkwardness is why marth's fsmash takes years to come out.
3- the end stance has the sword flat on the ground, which means your practically punching it with your hand (which hurts) with all your momentum going almost straight down. also, bending your back that much feels horrible.
4- your ankles get so much twist when your doing this im surprised marth can walk.

marth's fsmash would be so much better if he'd just make it simpler.

oh, for a guy whose his height with that kind of am arm. why is his reach shorter than metaknight who doesn't even have arms? balance my left buttcheek.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
i've tried it with a sword before, it feels so stupid.

1- the stance has the sword palm down, so to make sure the sword comes down right you have to twist your wrist mid swing
2- the full body twist itself feels so wrong to begin with. i bet the awkwardness is why marth's fsmash takes years to come out.
3- the end stance has the sword flat on the ground, which means your practically punching it with your hand (which hurts) with all your momentum going almost straight down. also, bending your back that much feels horrible.
4- your ankles get so much twist when your doing this im surprised marth can walk.
3. Actually he hits the ground with the guard which keeps his fist off the ground

balance my left buttcheek.
I lol'd

Top Bottom