• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Someone Visiting North Korea

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
http://axisofeviltour.com/nk-main.htm

A 3-day account of someone getting a chance to visit North Korea, giving readers a chance to see what life and people are like in North Korea (or "Kimland" as the author calls it). I think the visit was a considerable time ago, although I find it an interesting read. If you want a good reference point for "indoctrination", this account is sure to provide.

It was sure nice of N. Korea to allow those imperialist Americans to visit. :ohwell:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
sounds like an ironic twist on the closest thing to a utopia on earth

...huh

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Relics of the Cold War. I don't know what to say about it.

But the fact that I call it the Cold War probably says something about my own indoctrination at the hands of the U.S. public education system.

And so it goes.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just read the whole thing. The place is a prison.
Yeah, though I can't say that it's all because of the communism. Singapore is said to also be very authoritative, and they're capitalist. And I see some similarities between the two, chiefly that they are both in Asia and run (whether directly or indirectly) by ministers or heads of state that are "old" (an admittedly simplified analysis).

China is also run by an authoritative government, though it seems to show signs of transition. One main difference is that, simply put, Mao is no longer in charge. The new cabinet has guys who were educated overseas. The government is changing because the people running it are not the same guys who used to run it, and with the new blood, comes a new outlook. Yes, they're dragging their feet, but it's still movement.

N. Korea seems to be run by the same people, people who prepared to fight the foreign U.S. threat during the war. This alone is not unusual. It's very normal to hunker down when you feel under threat. But, having cut themselves off from the rest of the world, there's no new blood to come in and lead the nation with an updated perspective.

Singapore is somewhat similar in a way, though in capitalist form, and the country has been very successful economically, so the men who manufactured that country to be a success seem unwilling to make any abrupt changes, lest they lose everything they've gained.

Step down, I want to say, to all of them. Step down, step down.

But that's hypocrisy coming from me. The foreign policies of my own country, in the past, were partly responsible for why some of those countries are the way they are.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hell yea!!! Korean girls now have some pretty nice perky breasts nowadays ^^
Perky breasts are fine. It's the face stuff that worries me. I saw this Korean boy band performing on TV, and one of the guys had this crazy nose. It was like they stuck a European nose on him. That and the eyelid surgery thing. I mean, whatever, it's your face and all, but it's somewhat strange to look at. And it's almost like they want to be more like white people.

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws
Google the documentary the Vice Guide to North Korea. It's worth watching, you can find it on vbs or youtube.

@El Nino: I've been told that Korean families like to save money until their daughters are 18 so they can buy them plastic surgery in the same manner American families like to save money until their kids are 16 to get them a car. I guess I'm not complaining, but they really do use procedures that make their eyes/nose look more caucasian. I wasn't surprised when I saw before/after plastic surgery photos of those SNSD chicks.

On a similar note, Koreaboos scare me.

Top Bottom