• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Master
Once you come to the following 2 realizations, life will be much easier:
1) the majority of people are idiots and cannot be reasoned with
2) if you let them get to you, you will never be sane and/or happy

Seriously, I'd be the angriest, unhappiest person in the world (exaggeration) if I lost sleep over every stupid or unreasonable thing people said.
I appreciate the feedback, but I'm gay, and I'd like people to not wave signs around the main plaza of my university telling me to burn in hell and then voting to ensure that life is like that for me. How do I make that happen? Again, thanks for reading and responding. It's nice to receive practical advice when a problem arises that one cannot find a solution to.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Chaco man, it's simple.
You respect any individual as much as they respect themselves.

See if a person, male or female, carries themself with respect and dignity to a decent degree, then by all means treat them with respect.

If she's being a digital skank, or just plain has no self respect, you're certainly not entitled to show her any respect either, especially seeing how she doesn't show herself any.

Also, maybe it's just because you're really cute or something iunno, you seem like a bit of a ladies' man.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I appreciate the feedback, but I'm gay, and I'd like people to not wave signs around the main plaza of my university telling me to burn in hell and then voting to ensure that life is like that for me. How do I make that happen? Again, thanks for reading and responding. It's nice to receive practical advice when a problem arises that one cannot find a solution to.
Not much you can do, Numbers. Can't save people from themselves.

Smooth Criminal

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws
I think the advice that GoldShadow gave you is still the most applicable:

Once you come to the following 2 realizations, life will be much easier:
1) the majority of people are idiots and cannot be reasoned with
2) if you let them get to you, you will never be sane and/or happy

Seriously, I'd be the angriest, unhappiest person in the world (exaggeration) if I lost sleep over every stupid or unreasonable thing people said.
People protesting against others' choices is their right, and you can't change what other people are going to do. That said, we all know its wrong for people to tell you to "burn in hell," but the best thing you can do is avoid unnecessary confrontation, don't antagonize anyone or instigate anything, find people at University who accept you and befriend them, finish your schooling, and leave to a more accepting/nicer community.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Really, numbers, there's nothing to get offended about. If anything, just laugh at them. How messed up in the head do they have to be to not understand basic human respect?

As Goldshadow said, they're definitely not the kind of people you want to be losing sleep over.

RDK

Smash Hero
I was going to say something along the lines of what GS said, but he worded it much better. Just know that there are awful, stupid, despicable people in this world, and if you're going to try to maintain an ounce of self-respect and happiness, you just have to ignore them. Life's too short for that.

I'd like to think that all the evil people in the world are going towards some kind of punishment, but that's a religious delusion and unfortunately life - and nature - are just plain cruel. Which is why you have to look out for number one above all else.

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the whole college situation.

Smash Master
Okay, but they get to vote. That's the big issue. They can talk all they want, but I'd like to know that it's illegal for someone to deny me the opportinity to purchase a home because I'm gay. It's not, because even incompetent people get to decide what rights I get.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Hey well at least you can cover up being gay when you buy a house. And yeah sucks these people vote and deny rights, but gays are just going to have to push through this and continue to fight for your rights.

Since I think it would be distasteful to post in the official thread: I DON'T GlVE A **** THAT MJ IS DEAD

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Something's been getting on my nerves lately. Females. I always have tried to treat them with respect, as I was taught. Well lately, I'm starting to wonder "WTF?" about some of them. I treat them with respect, and then they destroy all self respect by asking me if I want pictures of them topless or so on. I mean, what the ****?

Get some **** self respect. I don't like people who just ***** themselves onto others.
You're hanging around too many GIRLS. You need to hang around with women who have a head on their shoulders.

Since I think it would be distasteful to post in the official thread: I DON'T GlVE A **** THAT MJ IS DEAD
Speaking of death, I hate it when people say it's wrong to speak ill of the dead but then say nothing but bad things to certain deceased people. I mean take Hitler for example. Yes he did the most evil things in the history of mankind but he's dead. Talk about a contradiction. So either don't speak ill of anybody or do and NOT hide behind that phrase. But you can't have it both ways.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
so yeah guys..........michel jackson is dead........what do you think of it????

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Rights? What?
Lol, what the hell are rights? Get real.

@ Greenkirby: I agree, people should give Hitler a break already. He's been dead long enough.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
So either don't speak ill of anybody or do and NOT hide behind that phrase. But you can't have it both ways.
...yeah, you can. I never understand when people deal in absolutes and black and whites. There are shades of gray. It would be great if there weren't, life would be much simpler! But alas, it's a lot more complex than "yes or no" or "do it or don't" or "with us or against us" and so on.

EpicAlternateAccount

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone.
Alternate account for privacy reasons. Well, right now, something really bad happened to me.

Well, right now it's 2:00AM, and my family and I are supposed to be leaving for the airport at 3:00. Yep, vacation. I was so hyped about this...

Then, my dad ruins it (yet again, may I add). He was supposed to come back home around 8 or 9. He doesn't arrive, but we assume he has a good reason. So me and my mom wait patiently for 4 hours, waiting for his return. As you can imagine, my mom was freaking out. At 2, he comes, drunk, for no ****ing reason. My mom breaks down crying, and keeps repeating "I've had enough." . It wasn't his first time doing this, but today wasn't the best of days to have a binge to fix his problems. It was our God **** vacation for ****s sake.

My dad goes to the Philippines about twice a year. He says it is to visit my grandmother, but me and my mom aren't lucky enough to have vacations like this. Obviously, we were looking forward for this. My dad JUST had to ****ing ruin it.

There's more. Again, my mom is crying, while my dad takes a shower. My mom tells me she wants to divorce my dad. I understand that, as I respected, and almost agreed with her decision. I end up persuading her to go, but I can't help to think that it may be our last trip as a family. It's going to end up pretty ****ty if you ask me. I mean, i seriously don't want anything to do with my dad, neither does my mom. Right now, I just want to make the best out of it. If this means putting on a fake smile, w/e, I'll do it.

The thing is, my dad isn't a bad guy. He brings me food, takes me places, and brought me up well. It's just the fact that he lets his problems affect me and my mother. I, for one and pretty much sick of it. Of course, I would like to see a complete family, but who am I to say that he'll stop hurting us?

I just hope that when my mom tells him the news, he won't freak out and be super mad or something.

/vent

Edit: who the **** am I to complain. There's people with even a more ****ty situation. Sorry for being whiney :/

Update.
Things got worse. My parents continued to fight. My dad took about 4 more glasses of wine, and he went into the washroom and broke everything in sight.

I was afraid he was going to come out, and MAYBE hurt my mother. This is where I called 911.
He was brought to my auntie's house to sober up. He's at home now, seemingly sober, but with a massive hang over.

Apparently, we're still going on vacation tomorrow. Right now, I just want my parents to separate. I've obviously had enough..

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Something's been getting on my nerves lately. Females. I always have tried to treat them with respect, as I was taught. Well lately, I'm starting to wonder "WTF?" about some of them. I treat them with respect, and then they destroy all self respect by asking me if I want pictures of them topless or so on. I mean, what the ****?

Get some **** self respect. I don't like people who just ***** themselves onto others.
The all important question is: did you say yes?

Smash Master
AltAccountGuy:

I think this is one of those situations where your own insticts are better advice than anyone can provide over the internet. That said, has your mother given your father an ultimatum yet? If not, she might consider saying something to the effect of "you drink again; we're done" rather than getting a divorce right away. From what I gather, it prolly won't help, but the benefits of that slim chance of making your father truly happy in the long run and keeping your family together are greater than the costs of having to probably deal with one more episode.

If she's already threatened him with divorce/separation, disregard the above.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I hate to do this I really do. But I've got nowhere else to go that won't end up with someone mad at me.

There's a girl who I've been absolutely in love with for a very long time. Showered her with gifts, listened to her rant time after time, helped her through all kinds of things, we used to be best friends. Last year I started to really realize how much I liked her. This didn't affect her much, but it ruined things slowly. From about the time I started liking her on, every time we would hang out she'd end up making me feel like crap by the end of the night, or she'd make some other plans. Sometimes she'd bring someone else into it as well. We have only every hung out 1 on 1 once. Often times, I'd offer to do something with her, and she'd give me "Maybe, but another guy might wanna do something so maybe not". Of course all this hurts really bad and I've nearly killed myself multiple times over her, along with the fact that I have one of the worst childhoods you could ever imagine, filled with lots of abuse and other things I'd rather not let out here. Suffice to say, if anyone was ever going to kill themself and people understand, I'd be the one to do it.

Recently, and at other times I'vee had other girls start to have an interest in me, of course, I'm too nice of a guy and have this issue that I won't date as long as I'm more interested in someone else. Since I can't get over said other girl no matter what I do, I can never be with another girl. This has lead to a lot of loneliness and feeling terrible.

Today, me and this girl planned for the past three days to go to this stupid concert to see some country guy I'd never heard of. I hate country music, but I haven't seen her in weeks and wanted to go. I lost sleep over it honestly I was so excited. Finally you know, I get to hang with her 1 on 1 and I might get a shot. Then suddenly she can't get a ride. Well fine our friend will maybe get us. Oh wait he can't. Oh hey she has a ride again. Awesome. My other friend and probably my best friend messages me online today, and we had plans to go to the Y. Of course, he says he'd have to go later otherwise he couldn't. I told him I had plans and he made me choose between them. Obviously, I went with the girl. He wasn't mad, but I felt like he might have been a little disappointed in me. Next thing I know, the girl mentions an ex has called her wanting to hang out. She tells me she's still going to hang out with me. Awesome.
An hour later we have her telling me that she'd rather go hang out another day. I asked what was happening, and she says that "It's complicated" I went on the rant and said not to bother and that this stuff always happens every time we try to do something. Of course I came back and apologized for this. 30 minutes more and she's updated her myspace that she's excited and getting ready to go somewhere.
Imo, she went with the ex to the concert thing we were supposed to go to. I've literally been torn apart since then.

I really don't care about advice on this, I just needed somewhere to vent it all. Feel free though.

Edit: Yeah, I realize that was about as emo as it gets. But I had to let it go somewhere and I couldn't talk to any of my friends for fear of them getting angry. Also, yes I know, there's bigger issues in life than girls, but I've got all of those too, they just don't get into my head as bad.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Well, I've tried suicide and it doesn't work. It won't rid you of your feelings. Instead, it intensifies them to a fate worse than being stabbed millions of times in the face. As for women, remember sometimes relationships don't work, however some will get you new women, new friends and new experience. So go out their and keep trying. Remember "Tomarrow's a better day."

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Dude, I've been there, honestly. There was a time where I was so invested in a girl, that when I had the opportunity to date other girls, I wouldn't because I felt like I was cheating on the girl I liked, even though we were just friends. This had me going for about 3 years I think, and at first I didn't mind her not liking me just as much as I liked her, because she had a boyfriend at the time who was a very good friend of mine. So I didn't bother at all and just enjoyed her company when I could. But later on(when they had broken up a while before), I felt like I was the one for her and tried to make her as happy as I possibly could, even at expense of myself. After a while it hurt when I left her after hanging out together and I actually started to wonder if she'd care if I drove off a bridge or something.

There is not much advise I can give you other than this, try seeing her as less as possible. Try to avoid all contact. Then try to find other girls you like. At first it may seem there are none just as good as her, but it'll come. My friend, how cheesy it may sound, you are in the friend zone and by the looks of it there is no way of getting out of there. This is a thing that only time can heal, and it will if you let it.

If you need someone to vent to about this, you can always contact me if you want.

RDK

Smash Hero
Always remember that it's just one girl, and there are millions of other girls out there. We've all been where you're at right now; there's always going to be that one girl we would kill to be with, but I guarantee you 100% that once you look back on it in a few years you'll realize how silly it was, and that she's really not that great.

Oh, and bros before hos.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
What RDK said. You'll realize later that how silly it is to get worked over things like this. Every guy has.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Normally I try not to tell people about my problems since everyone has them, but for some reason one problem is just bothering me. Here goes.

I recently told my friend I have feelings for him(before y'all ask, I'm a guy) and now he won't talk to me anymore. The thing was when I told him, he seemed to have some uncertainty in his eyes, as though a war was about to begin in his mind. Another thing is, he's never said: "I don't like you the same way" just "Wow, way to lay it on thick." That was the last I heard. It's been about a week and a half since he's said anything to me.

Other people I've asked some of my close friends and the gist of what they said was pretty much said that he's scared. Maybe I'm just used to being blunt about things and expecting an answer a day or too later was dumb on my part, but not responding to anything, even a simple question that one can answer with a yes or no just seems odd to me.

So, what do you all think? He's not the type to hold grudges and openly hate people so I doubt that's it.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I've been feeling bitter since Monday.
Some major disappointing news about school was what started it, I shook it off, but it was tiring to walk 5 miles to school and 6 miles back (took long way home due to bad info on that being a 'shortcut'), I then went to smash with friends, I'm not bad at Brawl, in fact they say I'm pretty **** good, too bad it was a Melee crew meeting......
So Melee.......yeah....,
I've been doing a lot of solo training, which I've always felt was pointless, because the necessary pressure in human vs. human fights can never apply in human vs. cpu, so mistakes and misconceptions happen, but I did it anyway, because the crew leader designated himself my teacher and advised I do. I won no match, and there was no precise lesson to learn. After losing for like the 29th time, we did some doubles, and it's never a good feeling when you're forced to be the weakest link. It's a helpless feeling when you cannot stand on even ground with your friends--for no knowledgeable reason. So someone proposed to play Brawl, sick of sucking, I concur and we do a few doubles matches.
Crew leader gets mad and wants to go back to Melee, without any kind of reasoning.
The day went downhill from there. As a crew we should be having fun together, but I was having no fun in Melee. I was in no mental condition to play a game like Melee. I left pissed out of my mind, for a crew supposed to have fun together, some selfish decisions were made, and I learned nothing from my so called teacher. Hard to learn from your losses when you're not clear on what to learn from it. I stated this and got nothing productive in return.
I'm starting to hate this community--or at least the side of it I'm experiencing. When in genuine need and desire of help, instead getting lame jokes and fantastically helpless lectures by people who can't understand, because they were never down that road--apparently. It's not particularly like I'm asking for straight up directions on what to do, just some guidance to help me in the right direction, I can't play fast characters, my hands can't keep up, and that makes up most high/top tiers, so I decide to stick with the characters I've chosen to keep, from there, just a nudge in the right direction will do me good.
Apparently that's too much to ask from more experienced and skilled players.....

****'s pissing me off at home too, family is only a applicable in name, we barely spend time together, and there is so much negativity, I just don't interact with them very much, I spent hours reading general Melee guides before going to sleep, because nothing else cares, but those who long ago posted a summary of things.
Family is still broken, but having no influence, I sat down and read a bible with metal playing in my room. I'm calmer now, but my forehead still feels a bit tight.
I just need to take care of my school issues now.
Day by day.....

Scott!

Smash Lord
Normally I try not to tell people about my problems since everyone has them, but for some reason one problem is just bothering me. Here goes.

I recently told my friend I have feelings for him(before y'all ask, I'm a guy) and now he won't talk to me anymore. The thing was when I told him, he seemed to have some uncertainty in his eyes, as though a war was about to begin in his mind. Another thing is, he's never said: "I don't like you the same way" just "Wow, way to lay it on thick." That was the last I heard. It's been about a week and a half since he's said anything to me.

Other people I've asked some of my close friends and the gist of what they said was pretty much said that he's scared. Maybe I'm just used to being blunt about things and expecting an answer a day or too later was dumb on my part, but not responding to anything, even a simple question that one can answer with a yes or no just seems odd to me.

So, what do you all think? He's not the type to hold grudges and openly hate people so I doubt that's it.
Everyone has problems, but that doesn't make yours smaller. Sharing really is the best way to get help and recover and all that.

Did your friend know you were gay? Cause coming out to him and saying you like him is a lot to lay on a person at once. If he did know that you were gay, then it's not as big a deal. But it's a tricky situation for him. I'm a straight guy, and one of my best friends is a gay guy. He's not into me, or conceals it darn well. But I'm pretty sure he isn't. But it's still a big thing to adjust when they come out to you. I mean, I'd shared a bed with this friend for a couple nights on a school trip, and we made lots of me-hitting-on-him jokes back in high school. Suddenly, I didn't know how to react with him. As much as I want to say that it shouldn't change everything, it does. I can't help but think about it, and while I don't think any less of him (I think more of him now for living in a way more true to himself, and he's more relaxed and just better overall now that he's able to be himself) it can't help but become a part of my impression of him. I'd still share a bed with him on a trip or something, but the reason would be different. It wouldn't be cause we're friends and it's no big deal. It would be me proving to him and myself that his being gay doesn't matter to me. Even being tolerant makes me think about him differently, and that's what bothers me the most.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for your friend, it's a tough situation you've put him in. Not that what you did was wrong; it's better that you were honest rather than suppressing it or something that would make things worse. I don't know your friend, so I can't say for certain that he isn't secretly gay too, likes you too, and that you two will get together, but odds are, that's not how it is. I think it's far more likely that his inner battle and fear come from him not knowing how to interact with you now. He's your friend, so he probably doesn't want to hurt you, but at the same time, he probably doesn't reciprocate your feelings. Give him some time to come to terms with this new revelation, and in the meantime, try to gauge his feelings from what friends say to figure out how to proceed. Whether you should start moving on, or whatever. Good luck though, that's a tough situation there for everyone.

Frown

poekmon
My grandfather died today.

He was old, and he had had a stroke before, so I was kind of prepared for it. He used to be a professional swimmer, and he died of another stroke right after swimming. He suddenly fell to the ground and passed away instantly, with my grandmother by his side. He was probably very happy at the moment.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Ok, this is a copy-paste of something I wrote in a social group I made. It's been one of the many things on my mind lately.

"Well, I had a friend visit me for a week. He's the first guy that I met online and IRL, and is also kinda the inspiration for why I'm here in the first place. He mains Ike, and then secondaries (or whatever) Falco, Ganondorf, and Pokemon Trainer. He's waaaaaaaay better than me, although some among my duo of friends disagree somewhat. And he bragged about his conquests (presumably early on in Brawl's lifetime) online to me some that week.

He's really confident, yet friendly and apparently doesn't mind playing with a loser (me) and his loser friend. The confident part bugs me a bit, which is why I seriously appreciate the friendly part.

Anyway, Brawl's been a point of tension for us as friends because... well, I'll admit I have some attachment issues with my friends. Seeing as I have very few, I REALLY want to make sure I'm still on good terms with them, even if they say that I'm okay. Now, enter NintendoMan07 on Smashboards.

Yeah, I joined because I was losing, get over it. It's not so much that I want to beat him or have a vendetta against him, but it's that I really would like to be better so we'd be... even; so it wouldn't reach the point where it dawns on him that he's messing around with a loser for a friend and ditches me."

I guess this relates to knuxrouge's post a bit, although he's lucky to be in a crew and... well, to still be in it after losing 29 times in a row. Playing to win is a harsh way of dealing with people, but I've obviously gotta accept it to not be wrong.

Anyway... I haven't brought this up with my friend yet. I was really scared to bring it up here, so it'll be worse when I'm trying to admit this to him.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer

Well he probably feels really awkward. I would feel awkward if any friend said they liked me and I didn't return the feeling. Is it a really close friend? Because I think it makes it worse in that case. And guys are often weird about gay dudes. Heh.

If he's a good friend, I think he'll come around. You just dropped a bomb on him and he probably needs time to get over his initial reaction

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Here's something that's bothering me:

I'm going on an airplane trip to Alaska on July 15th, and I'm REALLY scared. Anybody who's been in the Pool Room for a while must have seen a bunch of these threads about airplane crashes + conspiracies and stuff... What if the plane crashes? Should I really be worrying this much?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Well, usually, bad stuff doesn't happen, but there aren't any guarantees. When you look at life, though, a lot of things in the everyday seem a bit risky.

So, it's nothing to freak out about TOO much. I won't tell you that nothing will happen for sure, but it's nothing to get that worked up about.

Sorry, I suck at giving advice.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Here's something that's bothering me:

I'm going on an airplane trip to Alaska on July 15th, and I'm REALLY scared. Anybody who's been in the Pool Room for a while must have seen a bunch of these threads about airplane crashes + conspiracies and stuff... What if the plane crashes? Should I really be worrying this much?
Here is from the site:
www.fearlessflight.com

Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are about 1 in 11 million. On the other hand, your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. Statistically, you are at far greater risk driving to the airport than getting on an airplane. However, the perception is that you have more control over your fate when you are in your car than as a passenger traveling on an airplane. Experience shows otherwise, considering that over 50,000 people are killed on the highways every year.
I hope that helps...somewhat.
Don't get frightened by the automobile accident statistics though. :|

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
My mother****ing Dog escaped while we were out and the ****ty neighbors chose to throw a party then, so now my parents are angry and are blaming us instead of the dog. So know we're facing charges of $200. ****ing dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom