• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something I don't see Snakes do

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I'm not going to go ahead and proclaim that I have invented a new technique with Snake because I probably haven't. I just want to discuss this technique I ended up using one day:

Shield-drop a Grenade and roll behind it.
Position yourself so that you are somewhat close to it.
Mortarslide so that you pick up the Grenade.
By this time you have stopped sliding you have roughly 1.5 seconds to toss the Grenade.

I like using this technique because its a good way to kill some cooking time with your Grenades and then you can follow through on it. You can chuck the Grenade at your opponent and since its close to detonating its easier to time the throw correctly so you can hit people with it. You can also just spot-dodge or shield if you're in an opponents face so they take the damage. I've also hit people with the Mortar (this takes practice) and then toss the Grenade upwards, it hits them while in the air and often yields a kill at a much lower percentage. I dont see Snakes do this maneuver and I've found it a great addition to my arsenal of pressure techniques. The difficult part though is making sure you don't end up taking damage from the Grenade (it just requires practice) and making sure you know when the starting animation of the Mortarslide can pick up the Grenade. Play around with it if you've never tried this. The 'slided" Grenades are great for creatiing openings and pressuring people.

Let me know what you think.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
yep, people do it. it sure is alotta fun and a cool way to show off lol

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Something I don't see Snake's do is plant a C4, keep an internal timer on it, and try to let it explode on its own on the opponents.... such a good way to get kills, lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Something I don't see Snake's do is plant a C4, keep an internal timer on it, and try to let it explode on its own on the opponents.... such a good way to get kills, lol.
Razer does that. :D

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
That's something I learned to do after nearly killing myself several times because I forgot my own C4 lol. These days I either detonate C4 frequently so I don't lose track or it or I will occasionally keep an internal timer on it. Some people get wary though when they see you staying near your C4 so you have to be able to do that and look natural playing lol Its pretty fun though.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
heres something better for you...

shield drop...snake dash opposite way u are facing.

pretty cool if u ask me.

its really easy and the fastest way to do it, kinda of a mind game too unless you do it too much. Your opponent probably won't expect the mortar slide (after all you are standing backward) and its a really quick pick up so they may or many not notice that as you are mortar sliding toward them that you have the grenade in your hand and didn't leave it on the ground.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
You can shield drop a grenade, immediately snake dash in the direction you're facing, as long as the grenade hasn't hit the ground, you'll grab it every time.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
This is a months old method. Seriously what's with the sudden fad of coming up with "new" techniques nowadays? Any decent Snake has figured just about all of these out of improvisation long ago.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Yeah, this is very useful. If people like to punish your mortal slides you can make them think twice by always mortar sliding with a grenade in hand. I often time it so that it will explode right after my mortar slide giving myself just enough time to shield.

Don't roll behind it though, that's slow. If you mortar slide in the opposite direction you were facing and your timing is good you will pick it up right away. If you wanna mortar slide in the same direction you were facing walk a bit in the other direction and then mortar slide. Much faster than rolling.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
hey youre from michigan, you should come to the ann arbor tourneys

we need moar snakes
Yeah I'm like one of 2 good Snakes that Ive seen in this area. If you know of any big ones coming up soon let me know I'm always up for representing the Snake community here I need to win some more tournaments.

And I will have to try that tech for picking up nades with the slide easier. Thanks guys.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Don't roll behind it though, that's slow. If you mortar slide in the opposite direction you were facing and your timing is good you will pick it up right away. If you wanna mortar slide in the same direction you were facing walk a bit in the other direction and then mortar slide. Much faster than rolling.
Fizzi, you don't even need to move after the shield drop grenade, you just need to be fast enough to initiate the dash attack before the dropped grenade hits the ground. If you do it right, you can SnakeDash the same direction you were facing, while grabbing the grenade, without walking/rolling.

Try it, work on the timing, it works every time.

Raikou3322

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raikou3322
I would do something similar to that, but I would mortor slide them up, the opponent will hit the missile, then I throw the grenade up so it would explode and kill him in the air.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I guess I'm going to have to go up to Ann Arbor sometime and show that the Detroit area has some good Snakes too. ..God there are WAY too many Marths down here it drives me crazy. Its not like he's even a bad match its just annoying to see everyone play the same character.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Yeah Ive played him in person once. Craziest Marth I ever did see...I see him on campus every once in while. Long story short he did beat me ..hes the only Marth that has. He played me after I won this tournament.. .I play like **** after tournaments but hes insane I probably wouldve lost to him even if I was fresh and ready for a match he's that good. It was nice to see a non-generic Marth though.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
What? There are other tournaments we haven't heard about? Its not a real MI tournament unless people from Ann Arbor show up :D

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I want to see these good Ann Arbor people! I've heard great things about Ann Arbor and had some people come down here for some tournaments but I havent ran into anyone thats really that good yet. I know theres some good people though..where are yougood Ann Arbor people hiding? lol

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
This is a cool technique. I use it a lot because it's an effective way to cook the grenade while still attacking. I will either mortar dash towards them and then throw it back at them when I'm on the other side, or if the mortar slide hits them up just right you can throw it up and have the grenade kill them off the top. I've done this 4-5 times and it is one of my favorite kills to get.

Top Bottom