• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something Interesting about Thunder

Framerate

Smash Lord
I love using thunder. My friends may agree that I spam it. Really I just like up smashing into thunder. But I've also found a good use of it in edge-guarding. What I used to do is jump off the edge and thunder so that the thunder creates a wall in between my opponent and the stage. It usually left pikachu falling right towards the pit, recovering at the last moment to give me a very stressful return to the stage, where I often got ledge hogged. Not too smart on my end, right?

That is, until I did something that blew my mind.

I don't have a fancy name for it because, frankly, it's really dumb and annoying that people keep naming pointless little quirks. Here's all it is:

Dash, then jump into the air and do a down b. Pikachu continues moving with the momentum of the dash, and doesn't get hit by his thunder. If you're me, you are probably falling to your doom. Ok no big deal, he did this in every smash.

Now, dash, then jump, then hit down b again, but right after you input the down b, hit the direction opposite of which you are going, horizontally speaking.

Did he just do that?

If you did it correctly, you should have ran to the right, then jumped, then down b'd, but for some reason just shot left as soon as the down b initiated. It's like you were running left from the start. wtf.

This little thing is amazing. I throw my opponent off the edge to the right. Then jump off the edge, thunder but reverse it back onto the stage. Thus, I can create my wall of lighting while still holding on to the safety of the stage beneath me. Best of both worlds.

I apologize in advance if this has been discovered already. All I know is, I haven't heard of it, and it's not on the list of advanced tactics recently updated yesterday, found right here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164597

Hopefully I can get a video up sometime soon, but I think my description was good enough so that you can experiment on your own and just do it yourself. I mean, you could trust me, or you could trust yourself. I'd say go with me, but that's just me.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, it sounds like B-sticking. Except, you can keep your smashs to the C-stick!

I haven't heard of this particular use but I say thanks and nice find :] Im gonna try this later

Framerate

Smash Lord
Also it turns out you can do it with just the regular b too, and it's ridiculous.

Run to the right, short hop, hit b then immediately smash left on the control stick. Pika does a 180 and shoots the other direction.....

Pikachu rocks.

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
its B-sticking without the B-stick, easy to do when you have to timing down :p

Top Bottom