• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something to remember for when the Brawl roster does get leaked.... (on topic)

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
I think and hope the roster will have a few WTF characters and suprises. But most of it is probably rather predictable. I think the only credible source is a Dojo update or the Japanese release itself.

Also, FrogButler, you support Arceus! I like you!
Wow, you also support Arceus? Cool. I just want to him to get a Pokeball!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Having a lot of characters is cool and all, but if they throw in too many it gets impossible to balance. The fact that Sora LTD seems to be not so great at balancing things properly (this is based on the E for All demo) I'd rather them have a good number of characters that have had plenty of testing than a large number without as much detail spent on them. I'd hate to see character bans or characters being pretty much unplayable due to horrible inaccuracies in balance issues.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Having a lot of characters is cool and all, but if they throw in too many it gets impossible to balance. The fact that Sora LTD seems to be not so great at balancing things properly (this is based on the E for All demo) I'd rather them have a good number of characters that have had plenty of testing than a large number without as much detail spent on them. I'd hate to see character bans or characters being pretty much unplayable due to horrible inaccuracies in balance issues.
Truepac. Online / Wi-Fi play will keep Brawl popular, but balance is the key. What fun is a game if one can easily dominate the competition with one character / move without blinking? I say we need a Square Deal. Or something like it. :bigthumbu

The Director

Smash Lord
It is also the reason why I am treating many people who claim to have inside information cautiously instead of immediately labeling him or her a liar.
Unfortunately, nobody is going to believe anything unless there are pictures involved. So many people want to see to believe.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
Does anyone else feel it a tad ironic that one of the fastest video game characters caused a delay? (not that I believe that)

The roster will be elaked rather soon, methinks. There will be many nay-sayers, but blah dee blah dee BLAH. Basically what you said.
LOL I like the irony, whether it be true or not.

And you all are so impatient. Kind of sad really. Does no one remember unlocking something in an old game you played for the first time and you had no idea about it? Wasn't that a great feeling? I must be the only one around here that did stuff like that, lol

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Unfortunately, nobody is going to believe anything unless there are pictures involved. So many people want to see to believe.
But with good reason! With all the fake "insider information" that has been passed around and spread onto the boards, pictures are the only nigh-surefire way to prove that the alleged roster is true. :ohwell:

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem that Brawl is being made with the competitive crowd in mind.
We'll just have to hope that the E for all demo wasn't the finished product, and make the best of what we get when Brawl is released.

The Director

Smash Lord
With all the fake "insider information" that has been passed around and spread onto the boards, pictures are the only nigh-surefire way to prove that the alleged roster is true. :ohwell:
This is very true. But don't fall for fake roster shots! I bet a couple will pop up in the coming weeks.

I've said this to my friend many times in the past couple of days, but if you can't tell photoshoppery, then that's just sad. When we get pics of the rest of the roster in Brawl, I think we'll have no trouble discerning their Brawlified looks.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Turn the game into some Dragon Ball Z tenkachi 13 or whatever number they're at?

No thanks.
_________
This is why I believe everything the "prophet" has said, I have no real reason not to.

Plus the most insane prediction came true
I really have to agree with these two points here. I mean, having a lot of characters seems nice, but in the latest Dragon Ball Z game there's over 140 characters. I got the last one...and there are about ten or twenty characters that have the same exact move set. If there's any game I wouldn't want this to happen to, it's definitely Brawl.

No more than fifty characters...heck, no more than 42.

42 is a nice number for the character roster.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
This is very true. But don't fall for fake roster shots! I bet a couple will pop up in the coming weeks.

I've said this to my friend many times in the past couple of days, but if you can't tell photoshoppery, then that's just sad. When we get pics of the rest of the roster in Brawl, I think we'll have no trouble discerning their Brawlified looks.
Mainly because almost all of the photoshopped roster shots have been absolutely awful. Remember that big black / blue / purple monstrosity that was "leaked" in a 3-second video clip? Terrible.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Plus, seriously, give up on Ness already. Even somebody like me who loves playing Melee Ness can realize that he's out (except maybe as a costume a la Overalls Wario -- but now even that chance is slim since the "only Wario is special" update).
Ness has been confirmed. In Japanese, the phrase " until now" is the same phrase that
that they used in the handi-cap update. " until now there has been a handi-cap mode."
The literal translation confirms ness.

kimchii xD

Smash Cadet
And you all are so impatient. Kind of sad really. Does no one remember unlocking something in an old game you played for the first time and you had no idea about it? Wasn't that a great feeling? I must be the only one around here that did stuff like that, lol
I'm very patient. In fact I love that feeling when I unlock something/someone and I had no idea about it. When I first unlocked Dr. Mario in melee, I was very suprised and excited. It was very unexpected and that feeling was great. I would love to have that same feeling again. When Brawl was delayed again, I was kinda glad because this means Brawl will be better and might have more unlockables which means better suprises. I just hope Sakurai includes something very unexpected, like how Marth and Roy was in, or Game & Watch.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
The game came out in Japan 2 days ago or something, right? I probably am wrong. I just can't read Japanese and I remember seeing somewhere about a release on the 31st of December.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I think one original character is worth at least three clones - I am not sure if this is the case development time-wise, but I do know that this is how I wish Sakurai and his nutty team have calculated during Brawl's creation.

I mean, having Ganondorf in last time was... Nice. But he really did not feel entirely genuine and that was a bit abrasive. Likewise for Falco, who was lacking in personality.

But one related issue is interesting and that is the level of deviation from an original template that consitutes a "non-clone". Which clone had the most original feel last time around (my vote is Ganondorf, second place goes to Dr. Mario)?

As for this iteration, I do wish for a leak quite soon so I can lay that to rest at least. Living in Europe, and spending most of 2008 in military service, I do not have to care about getting spoiled or not - I can't keep myself unspoiled for more than two months. Anything beyond that and I might as well give up that other method of spoiling myself as well.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
interesting but i still doubt the current so called profits. thik of it this way, with so many character speculations going around one of them has a better chance at being right
(that doesn't make a whole lot of sense once i think about it. disregard me)

M.K

Level 55
The game came out in Japan 2 days ago or something, right? I probably am wrong. I just can't read Japanese and I remember seeing somewhere about a release on the 31st of December.
*faceshovel*

It comes out January 24th in Japan.
It comes out February 10th in America.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
lol no dude. If that was the case we'd all know by now what characters are in/out.

It comes out in Japan last of this month. January 24th or something like that.

But the guide for the game might be out sooner, and if anyone gets their hands on that by a stupid retailer just wanting money..... then we'll know the characters before anyone has the game. But we won't believe anything until we see lots of proof.

Now excuse me while I go clean. I accidentally spoiled myself while writing this message.

edit: blast, foiled agahn

Noa.

Smash Master
I hope for the best with spoiler tags when the roster is revealed. Though that will not probably happen.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
You know, some of us want to be disappointed NOW rather then LATER. I welcome any form of roster leak, especially the one that comes when the game is released in Japan. Melee sorely disappointed me with Pichu, Mewtwo, and Mr. Gayme and Watch.

I'm sorry, but I like WTF characters, only to some extent. That was too much WTF for me.

tl;dr, because I know none of you are going to read this: Rather have roster now then later, get disappointed now then later.

upex

Smash Cadet
I dont really care what caracters are in becasuse the more the better and I cant really see myself getting angry if they add more characters even if they are stupid choices for a character.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
well, hopefully the same guy helps us out again. however, too many people claim to have "inside sources" they can't tell you about. The Japanese, like always, will straighten us out.

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
Well as to how it will be leaked I'm gonna have to go with the internet. I think a lot of people won't believe it if it is true, however, as most of these "leaked" brawl rosters will be fake. Sakurai seems to be cautious on what gets leaked, so I don't think a magazine will leak the roster, or even attempt to make a fake one.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
yeah, I don't usually say this, but the original post was a good read. We should be cautious because, really, the roster can and will leak at any time now. I mean, some of us already know the roster anyway. When finally somebody comes forward or finds a way to let it go anonymously so everyone else gets to hear, everyone should just keep their heads on, realize there is nothing you can do. If your character isn't in, don't go crazy.

heh.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
well lets say the roster leaked today (it hasnt but what if it did) if nintendo got a little smart theyd have downloadable characters every once in awhile...what if the roster isnt the full roster?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
well lets say the roster leaked today (it hasnt but what if it did) if nintendo got a little smart theyd have downloadable characters every once in awhile...what if the roster isnt the full roster?
I dunno, would downloadable characters be possible? Or beneficial? I'd think they'd want to just make a set amount of characters for the game.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I dunno, would downloadable characters be possible? Or beneficial? I'd think they'd want to just make a set amount of characters for the game.
Exactly what benefit do we need other than making the game more fun? More characters would definitely make the game more fun, as long as they're not broken.

Though I'm not sure if it's possible. I'm wondering if they could implement it easily into online battles. For example: What if one person downloaded a character but the other people playing didn't? Could they make that work?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Boofer: Easily, via mandatory updates. Nintendo can control quite a bit at the server-side level, since you must connect to their servers in order to find opponents online.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Boofer: Easily, via mandatory updates. Nintendo can control quite a bit at the server-side level, since you must connect to their servers in order to find opponents online.
So you really think Nintendo would give us those characters and other downloadable content free of charge?

Mr.Loser

Smash Apprentice
Thats simple they just have to give us the data of the charcater but unless we pay for it we cannot select it (this is assuming that you would need to pay)

In all honesty though I would doubt that they would make us pay to download new characters.Well more or less I hope so <_<"

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Thats simple they just have to give us the data of the charcater but unless we pay for it we cannot select it (this is assuming that you would need to pay)

In all honesty though I would doubt that they would make us pay to download new characters.Well more or less I hope so <_<"
Well theres something to think about regarding the shop channel.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Do you guys know what it means to download a whole character? Maybe some new items, songs or even an Assist trophy, fine. But all the polygons, animations, voices, and sound effects associated with a full fledged character? I don't think it's very feasible in the near future. It would take up much more than memory than a Wii could hold at least.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Do you guys know what it means to download a whole character? Maybe some new items, songs or even an Assist trophy, fine. But all the polygons, animations, voices, and sound effects associated with a full fledged character? I don't think it's very feasible in the near future. It would take up much more than memory than a Wii could hold at least.
Ahh, yes...Again I forget I'm not talking about my Xbox 360. I didn't even consider memory...Hmm, I guess that really hurts the chances of getting new characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There are only three weeks left until Brawl's Japanese release date. So we will learn Brawl's roster in three weeks at most.

I am just peeved that we are this close to the release date of Brawl, and we still have not seen Brawl's real character selection screen.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i keep telling myself the leaks gotta come soon it always does.

but then i realize that brawl seems like nintendo is hidding information more than any other game i've ever followed befor it's release.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for posting this topic, you actually managed to get me out of my depression.

Thank you.

Top Bottom