• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something very interesting...

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Hello all fellow PT mainers. I have basically stumbled upon something.
It seems PT can actually be the Counterpick character. But not by character, by there playstyle.

Every time I faced someone, they ALWAYS had many problems with 1 or 2 of the Pokemon.
No matter what character they used , they struggled against them, And I took advantage.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Vermy

Smash Champion
Yep.

My ivysaur isnt too strong, in fact id say its my weakest of the 3. On occasion ivy will get me 2 out of 3 of an opponents stock.

not so much a find, but it really is the versatility that Pokemon trainer boasted when we first heard of him.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
hes not talking about what characters are strong and weak against the 3 Pokemon.

Yeah I see what you mean its like one guy I played with his name is T-Rav and he had some struggles against Squirtle but not Charizard though. Another player I played had no problem against my Squirtle but for some reason had trouble with Ivysaur and Charizard.

It really depends on what the players knowledge is against the 3 Pokemon and knowing what to do.

Toby.

Smash Master
This is the old perspective of PT's metagame, and is the one that card described in his guide. It's not particularly new.

Now that we know that PT has some horrible matchups with all three pokemon (metaknight, marth, g&W...) its a less prominant view. Marth can play his normal game against all three pokemon, so its uncommon to find a player that has particular trouble with anything but the hardest matchup (charizard). Thats from my experience anyway.

edited for clarification..

DemonFart

Smash Lord
oh yeah,I get it.

When I verse someone they always have a prob with one of mah pogeymanz.

:094:

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I think it deals with the fact that they either don't know the entire match-up as well as they think they do.

Or.

They just can't process all of PT's moves in a single match, whether it'll be from lack of experience against PT, or just the overwhelming amount of moves there are period. When you think about it, the opponent has to keep in mind three times the amount of moves that a normal match-up would be, more than any out there. So generally, you're gonna get some mistakes on their part when it comes to DI, or inarticulacy of how big the hit box is, or how much knockback a move potentially has. All the PT mainers and users would know all of this through plain experience, others don't have such luxury.

PT's overall game is a lot of mindgames, even if the opponent and the player aren't aware of it.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
squirtle is usually the character that gets me most of my kills. >=D

then Ivy and Charz dont have to do much. unless I go agaisnt some1 who is just better than me.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
kirby doesn't beat all three.

a good pt is not easy for players with no matchup experience, because the same strategy usually won't work against all three pokemon.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Charizard *****.

I don't live Ivysaur (when playing as PT). I also find Ivysaur the easiest Pokemon to deal with.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Charizard *****.

I don't live Ivysaur (when playing as PT). I also find Ivysaur the easiest Pokemon to deal with.
if oyu fight a good ivy that knows how to stay on stage or recover well, you wont be saying that.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I tend to use Up smash alot because noone is expecting it lol. Ivy pwns.

But I fought a marth, and he had trouble dealing with Ivy because of his mad spacing.

Ivys Fsmash outranges Marth.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I play PT to kick *** with Charizard... in friendlies. But Squirtle and Ivysaur get me killed. Seriously, I can take two stocks with Zard then lose cause Squirtle and Ivysaur lost it for me before I could get back to Zard.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I play PT to kick *** with Charizard... in friendlies. But Squirtle and Ivysaur get me killed. Seriously, I can take two stocks with Zard then lose cause Squirtle and Ivysaur lost it for me before I could get back to Zard.
Are any good with them.

I kinda try to play as Wario with Squirtle, and it works :D.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I would say I'm not good with them, but I try to do something with them due to stamina so Zard can recover. Like with squirtle I jump around throwing fairs/bairs and doing some utilts > uair and the stuff. Then end up getting gimped/killing myself for recovering poorly. And with Ivysaur, i keep trying to bair > ftilt and try to land a BS when possible then quickly throw them away and switch to zard to kill. Just stamina ends up making me use Squirtle and Ivysaur who I can't effectively use like Zard.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
yes zard is my best now.

Squirtle and ivy are about equal for me.
maybe my squirts a bit better.

1000 post!!!
<3 :pt:

:094:

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Hey Ussi.. if charizard dies you dont have to worry about stamina, it comes out totally fresh even if you dont do nothing with squirtle and ivy

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Hey Ussi.. if charizard dies you dont have to worry about stamina, it comes out totally fresh even if you dont do nothing with squirtle and ivy
Not toally fresh. It's moves are reset in terms of diminished returns, but it takes at most 1 minute for his stamina clock to entirely reset. If you have used him over 2 minutes and he dies and you just cycle immediately until you're back at him, he will get fatigued in probably under 30 seconds.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I tend to use Up smash alot because noone is expecting it lol. Ivy pwns.

But I fought a marth, and he had trouble dealing with Ivy because of his mad spacing.

Ivys Fsmash outranges Marth.
the way you said this makes it sound like:

"I spam x move that way they wont expect it"...

You probably could have said that better

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
hm... for the sake of being difficult, or maybe it was for the post count, actually I think it was me stalling from having to write my english paper (more of that happening right now). Somewhere in there is your answer.

as for the discussion: I think it sounds good and all on paper, but some characters just have something on all of three pokemon. People have already mentioned the problem charaters.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Not toally fresh. It's moves are reset in terms of diminished returns, but it takes at most 1 minute for his stamina clock to entirely reset. If you have used him over 2 minutes and he dies and you just cycle immediately until you're back at him, he will get fatigued in probably under 30 seconds.
Nope.... as far as i know the stamina timer is set to 0 when a pokemon dies, so it comes otu totally fresh even if you just down B twice

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
Nope.... as far as i know the stamina timer is set to 0 when a pokemon dies, so it comes otu totally fresh even if you just down B twice
not true. A pokemon can get switched to after a ko and bebasically fatigued. It needs the minute to get over it, dying doesn't help it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
**** I still have to make time to switch from Ivysaur to Charizard. Just how do I get a person off me as Ivy ~_~

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
bullet seed countering, bair spacing, agresive nair, fair mixups, razor leaf spamming, fsmash is pretty good, space with ftilt and dtilt, and grabs are ok... ivy is ok :)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I mean off me as in enough room to switch to Zard >_> I guess I should switch to Ivy when they are at high % and or stay Ivy when I'm about to die.

Know what i've always wondered, has anyone ever tried using down B to avoid a post laggy attack? Sounds like epic mind games xD

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I mean off me as in enough room to switch to Zard >_> I guess I should switch to Ivy when they are at high % and or stay Ivy when I'm about to die.

Know what i've always wondered, has anyone ever tried using down B to avoid a post laggy attack? Sounds like epic mind games xD
Ivy doesn't really get a move that creates room for a switch like the other two have in their dthrow. For me, I will try to bthrow and maybe pitch a razor leaf to chase them and try to switch... other than that you just have to get them to a decent percent and land a big move like fsmash. (this and bthrow usually are the moves I use to get the time I need to switch)

I used down b once to avoid a move and they started charging a smash and I was able to perfect shield the smash because they were late on their timing... they got bulletseeded :p
9 times out of 10, though, you will just munch it and look like a tool.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
It's important to know the timing for the pokemon switch. I noticed that whenever I switch pokemon, the next pokemon comes out when the returning pokemon reaches the pokeball and Red kind of twitches his hand. I also noticed that the distance between the pokemon trainer to the pokemon when they are switching out affects the time the next emerges. At least I feel there's a difference.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
this is too true, back when i started pt, my friend couldnt handle my squit. he changed up his mains and he still cant.

Top Bottom