• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic and the invincible Up Smash! UPDATED with video. 5/06/08

Piccolo_Z

Smash Rookie
Well I did more "testing" (i kept upsmashing during ffa to see what it can and cannot do.

I've come to some conclusions. Firstly, I remember how everyone thought this move sucks because it has such low priority and everyone kept getting owned when hypen smashing it.(dashing into upsmash). This is a half truth.

I believe sonic has 3 stages in the smash. Standing about to jump, the act of spinning, then landing. While sonic is in the intial stage about to jump, he is completely vulnerable. However while spinning he has the priority. So if you do the hypen smash extremely early and slide into the enemy while spinning, it is possilble to avoid getting hit.

The weird thing is, sometimes the upsmash will trade hits with certain attacks, like ddd's upb landing which conflicts with invicibility, however I was c-sticking the smash. It is quite logical that sonic only becomes invincible when you charge the upsmash.

Regardless, there is still a lot of testing that should be done to confirm this or disprove it. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to do extensive testing.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Yup... Confirmed: Side b has invulnerability frames (i have tested it and completely avoided damge vs ikes neutral b)

I don't think UP B is confirmed, but it is rumored and speculated to have invulnerability frames.

and the last would now be sonic's U smash... Personally i think it's very possible that all 3 of them have invulnerability frames. even if the Usmash has to be charged, its very possible and quite likely.

I have seen the Up smash get cencalled when meeting another attack, though rare. and i don't think ive ever seen it cancalled after being charged. more testing please.... I wil definately test it myself this weekend.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yup... Confirmed: Side b has invulnerability frames (i have tested it and completely avoided damge vs ikes neutral b)

I don;t think UP B is confirmed, but it is rumored and specualted to have invulnerability frames.

and the last would now be sonic's U smash... Personally i think it's very possible that all 3 of them have invulnerability frames. even if the Usmash has to be charged, its very possible and quite likely.

I have seen the Up smash get cancelled when meeting another attack, though rare. and i don't think ive ever seen it cancalled after being charged. more testing please.... I wil definately test it myself this weekend.
UP B is confirmed. I use it and I bait things like Bowser down-B, Toon Link d-air, go through them and do some kinda aerial counter. The Up-B is more like dodge frames, but whatever, it's all the same in that you don't get hurt :D

I think this (usmash invulnerability) is just part of a game mechanic where his spin attacks don't take damage from missiles. N-air ,homing attack, and this move apparently.

ALSO: Whoever said that spindash takes care of landmines... I almost died because I trusted you :[
it doesn't. Well, it does. But you get asploded and take damage :[

We desperately need AR for debug mode.
Up+down+left+right+ C + start

If that doesn't work, try up up down down up up up up.

Or B+A + right+ right + A + C + up + down + A

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The upsmash doesnt have to be charged for invinciblitity. The first few frames when you start upsmash your vulnerable, until your spinning in ball form.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I think it might have something to do with his hurtbox being misplaced. His hitbox is in the air with his body, but he is doing a grounded attack. His hurtbox isn't near his body and this gives the illusion of invincibility.

Just a theory, don't take any of it as fact.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well.. im going to test it tonight against ike's neutral b, and ill post a vid if i confirm anything.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think it might have something to do with his hurtbox being misplaced. His hitbox is in the air with his body, but he is doing a grounded attack. His hurtbox isn't near his body and this gives the illusion of invincibility.

Just a theory, don't take any of it as fact.
not sure if that's the exact case, but I get hit out of it pretty often, so I don't completely trust this move.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
what i've noticed like other people is that obviously at the start of the move when your in the about to jump up position you can get hit but once you turn into the ball and start spinning u might be invincible and then you go back to vulnerable back again when u go down.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
tested it last night, there are no invincibility frames. it just has high priority and can over power other attacks.

charged or not, no invincibility frames. ike's neutral b ***** it completely.

but over all i still find sonic's hyphen smash to be one of his most useful moves. its just so easy to catch people in it, and it really does out-priority a lot of moves.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
So Snakes c4 doesnt have as much priority as Sonic's upsmash. Thats interesting. Since c4 and Ike's neutral B are both explosion attacks. I guess explosions have different properties.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So Snakes c4 doesnt have as much priority as Sonic's upsmash. Thats interesting. Since c4 and Ike's neutral B are both explosion attacks. I guess explosions have different properties.
wait.

@ original topic.

I was testing Snake in practice mode today to get used to the range of his tilts/smashes, vulnerabilities of specials- against a Marth.

Then I saw the rain.

Marth did a short hop that went above a grounded C4. It exploded just as he started to go down. He was about the height of Sonic's U-smash.

He did NOT take damage.

Incidentally, Sonic takes damage from a Sticky C4 during his U-smash.

Sorry.

Sonic was just too high for the explosion to hit him.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
yup, its like i said before, sonic's u smash puts his hurt box in the air a bit. and c4's hit low.

Top Bottom