• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic COLORS / Colours

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Platforming is a given for Sonic though. I mean, Sonic Unleashed's stages had, IMO, the perfect combination of speed and platforming. Your reactions had to be quick or you'd screw it up big time.

The only thing they'd need to do to please the original fans more-so is follow their old level design more closely. If they have that fast-but-hard path on top and slightly-slower-yet-easier-to-follow path on the bottom, there yah go. That would be old school level design mixed with new school level design.

Having about 8 to 10 or so great Unleashed stages (main stages) with an "adventure" mode in between (like in Sonic Adventure 01) would, in my opinion, be exactly what would get Sonic a good **** review. :p
I agree albeit some of the levels were trial and error alot of them had decent platforming and a good mix of quick time events.
im still trying to tie the world record for that first speed level lmao im close.

finalark

SNORLAX
I agree albeit some of the levels were trial and error alot of them had decent platforming and a good mix of quick time events.
im still trying to tie the world record for that first speed level lmao im close.
This statement just blew my mind.

Seriously, very few games can pull of QTE's correctly. I don't think that Unleashed was one of them.

Then again, I don't remember unleashed having QTE's...

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Seriously, very few games can pull of QTE's correctly. I don't think that Unleashed was one of them.

I think the QTE events in Unleashed weren't so bad. Well, I liked them for daytime stages.
They weren't hard though so I suppose you could say they were tacked on.

The QTE on Werehog stages gave me issues. I was new to the 360 controller. lol

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Even the old school levels were trial and error though :) At least, if you tried to stay on top of things (literally).

Unleashed normally threw quick times at you after you went off a ramp or something. It doesn't overdo QTE's and yet it doesn't underdo them either.

My favorite QTE is towards the beginning of Empire City Act 1 (day, of course). It throws a long QTE at you and you have to pull it off pretty quickly; you get such a rush mastering it. :)

(Act 2 or 3 of Shamar Day is nothing but QTE and is a fun--yet frustrating--challenge.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPLTDZxQjH0

That's the Shamar stage. That video also reminds me, Unleashed brings back the jump pads from Sonic Adventure. But back then, you just had to press A which made them kinda pointless as you could easily spam the A button. These jump pads are more challenging. :)

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ If Unleashed were to fuse the Wii/PS2 and 360/PS3 then it would had been a better game. :/ ♥

♣ Sonic Colors is performing something the Sonic games should had done a the newer Sonic games, power up's that make you go faster. ♥

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
♣ If Unleashed were to fuse the Wii/PS2 and 360/PS3 then it would had been a better game. :/ ♥

♣ Sonic Colors is performing something the Sonic games should had done a the newer Sonic games, power up's that make you go faster. ♥
Quite true. If Sonic Team exerted all their energy into one version of the game, then it would have been way better. Graphics or whatever could have been toned down for the wii/ some parts of the stages could have been cut or whatever, but instead they designed two different games. WTF???

n!njaAttack!

Smash Rookie
Admist the well-expected skepticism. I'm eagerly looking forward to this game. I was t
rather annoyed with Wii unleashed due to too many werehog stages. I always cheered when I got to play a new day stage and groaned when I played a Night stage. SoniColors seems like what sonic game should be: a crazy high-speed obstacle course. I really don't see a problem w/speed boosts. To me the early sonics were about clearing the stage as quick as possible. And thats all that really matters.

As for the gimmick: It beats a sword and by far beats a werehog.

And I'm pretty sure the music score will be "dope". Always is and has been.

P.S. Whatever happened to secret rings? No one really mentions it anymore. Wasn't that a great game?(Forgive my ignorance I haven't played S&SR Or any of the SA's.. Or SH. I know...I jumped into Console gaming a few years after the wiis launch. But I have played the classics and all the ones that released for GBA!)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's been a long while, I remember it being decent for a recent Sonic game.
The fact that you can't stop moving made that game annoyingly unplayable to me. That whole "tilt the Wiimote backwards to brake and then stop" thing didn't work, it tended to brake then decide to keep running, full speed, into a chasm.

I got to the final boss (not the final final boss, the regular Erazor Djinn fight) and I had trouble with it and didn't care enough to even keep trying, so I haven't touched the game in forever.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Co-op looks pretty good. I wonder is storymode Co-op, I hope it is, (if it already is, then you know I'm not informed). XD

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Co-op? I seriously wasn't expecting that.
(Maybe they already said they'd have co-op and I wasn't paying attention... Like Viper, I haven't been keeping up with everything lol).
It looks pretty fun as well. Nice to see actual platforming back in a Sonic game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Forgive the bump but I just got the December issue of Nintendo power.

They gave Colors a 9/10.

A 9/10

Let's hope that other sites will agree, I'm looking forward to this one. Between this and Sonic 4 it looks like he's finally back on track!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Nintendo Power tends to give high-rated scores on principal though, so I'm waiting for other magazines to provide input. NGamer did give Colors 86/100 though, so that's something.

Two good games back to back isn't what I would call the grand revival, imo. Just a high point. I think we have to see how the next few years pan out before makeing any bold claims like that.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sonic Storm;11467803 Two good games back to back isn't what I would call the grand revival said:
You're probably right. I'm most likely jumping the gun on this one. Oh well, at least it's a turn to the right direction.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah. I used to never believe this would come, I mean how many years has it been since an epic sonic game that could semi-rival Mario? About time...

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
At this point I don't think it's fair to compare Sonic to Mario.

Right now it's a matter of rating and looking at upcoming Sonic games for their own personal worth and not in comparison to others in the gaming industry.

Also, seriously, after the ups and downs for Sonic Team, stacking Sonic up to Mario game-quality wise is a bit of a stretch. A good game is a good game to me now.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Holy crap, so:

I planned on getting Donkey Kong on release, because I'm a dork for that. I also planned on getting SSF4/FFXIII/Dragon Age/Kirby during Christmas, and I'm pretty sure my GF was going to get me SMG. (Yeah, it's my hobby, and we've been saving. Shush!). So like.. then I watch the game trailers of this. Unless the reviews/players say it sucks, I'd drop SMG for it. I mean..dang, it looks plain fun.

I wish so many good things would come out at once :(

BSP

Smash Legend
It would be cool if the OP would update with more trailers and info on this game's release

zxeon

Smash Lord
At this point I don't think it's fair to compare Sonic to Mario.

Right now it's a matter of rating and looking at upcoming Sonic games for their own personal worth and not in comparison to others in the gaming industry.

Also, seriously, after the ups and downs for Sonic Team, stacking Sonic up to Mario game-quality wise is a bit of a stretch. A good game is a good game to me now.
That would be wise. I hope I have fun with this game. I enjoyed the Sonic Unleashed day levels. The wisps worry me but they don't look werehog bad. If done well they will be fun to use but this is SONIC TEAM we're talking about.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think the Wisps are what add more variety and are what's giving Sonic Colors such favorable reviews/opinions. If all we had was running forward with speed boosts/daylight Unleashed stuff, it would be in danger of being accussed of being stale and the same old from before, namely Sonic Unleashed.

When you know how to use your Wisps the flow of gameplay should be fun, I hope.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
According to Official Nintendo Magazine, the choice of using the Wisps is completely up to you. You can choose to blast through each level without having to use a single Wisp in the level's entirety. Wisps are primarily for accessing secret routes and collecting the Red Rings, in order to get a higher ranking.

So the Wisps are not only a gimmick that is not a detriment to the speed-based play, but also a gimmick that can be ignored if you're just concerned with getting from Point A to Point B. Nice to know.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
ONM, along with citing the impact of the Wisps in that respect, also commended Roger Craig Smith's voice acting for Sonic, and also commended the music, but that's kinda expected at this point for this series. ONM's main criticisms were the lackluster multiplayer mode, and how the stages don't quite measure up to the best Sonic Unleashed had to offer, but ONM still says the stages are a blast to play.

The biggest complaints ONM had for the DS version was how the Boss Battles and Special Stages (!) break the flow of the gameplay and that the storyline is a little tenuous. But those negatives don't outweigh the pros of the DS version: Wisps are optional in this version as well, the game is a faithful "sequel" to Sonic Rush, and amusingly, "Sonic doesn't talk."

ONM gave the DS version an 85% score. They gave the Wii version 86%.

DS version statement: “In fact, Colours on DS manages to silence not only its star, but those looking for yet another Sonic game to complain about. By ignoring the mistakes that did for recent titles, Colours manages to glide along, happy and oblivious, just as you will when you play it.”

Wii version statement: “Colours hits the jackpot for Sonic fans. It’s one of his best 3D outings since the Dreamcast days. Round of applause for Sonic Team – the Sonic cycle has finally been broken.”

Get hyped?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I can't be the only one who honestly did not mind Jason Griffith as Sonic's voice actor, can I?

Can't wait for this game though. And the free Sonic hat from pre-ordering. :D

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I liked Jason Griffith. It took me a long time to realize that Sonic's VA had shifted post-ShtH, since Jason and the one before him sounded so similar to me.

Dan Green taking over Knuckles was nice as well. The only one that I griped over was Tails's sudden shift during Heroes and ShtH, but even then, I thought that VA did a great job with Tails during Unleashed. I'm curious on how Sakura is gonna handle Tails now.

Didn't pre-order, so no Sonic hat for me. My brother did make a Sonic mask from scratch though so that's something.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think you're supposed to pay attention to Tails. Isn't that why he has unlimited lives in Sonic 2 and 3? He's an elaborate decoration.
I always saw him as less of an elaborate distraction and more of an exploitable bot.

Except for in Sonic 2's special stages. He always screwed me over in those.

That still doesn't mean that his voice, especially in Heroes, wasn't annoying.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The way Tails is used as a pseudo 2nd player is probably my favorite thing about Sonic 2 and 3. It's the perfect game for you to play with a younger sibling and you don't have to worry about them getting a game over because they suck.

Well, except for the bonus levels in 2. Having Tails is always a detriment there.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I always saw him as less of an elaborate distraction and more of an exploitable bot.

Except for in Sonic 2's special stages. He always screwed me over in those.

That still doesn't mean that his voice, especially in Heroes, wasn't annoying.
The moment you give him a little responsibility he starts dropping your rings all over the special stage.

Tails is what happens when you try to make a character out of a multiplayer mode. I didn't mind Tails until he started talking.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
The way Tails is used as a pseudo 2nd player is probably my favorite thing about Sonic 2 and 3. It's the perfect game for you to play with a younger sibling and you don't have to worry about them getting a game over because they suck.

Well, except for the bonus levels in 2. Having Tails is always a detriment there.
^this x1000
tails voice got worse as time went on. i think they wanted a certain high pitch but just couldnt find the right infliction

Top Bottom