• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic DAir Glitch ??

NotEspaduck

Smash Rookie
Ive been playing around with sonic and noticed when I do his Dair sometimes, rather than rushing to the ground very quickly it goes very slowly and either finishes really quickly, finishes normally but the time is negligble since theres almost no downward movement, or its cancellable, which Im not sure.

I noticed this happens mainly when Im near the top of the screen, after messing around with it more I think its because I've gotten hit out of Dair very early in the move. It seems to create a weird charged effect, and the next time I do the move it works like explained above. At first I thought it might be similar to sentinel's unflight glitch, but Im not really sure what the details are because I've only gotten it while fighting the cpu. Im almost certain Ive seen it happen, unless theres some other reason why Dair would act all weird, Id love to know.

Has anyone experienced this or want to test it further? I dont have another person to help me with it right now.

If this pans out, since smashers love naming moves after themselves Im calling this the skisonic sonic UnDair Glitch. YEAA MAHVEL BAYBEE.

Spife

Smash Master
I have done this too and it's really wierd when expecting to shoot down but instead you hardly move. It makes me think of Fox/Falco's side-b cancel (from melee) but I'm pretty sure pressing another button does not cancel it (we would have found it by now if it were that easy/obvious).

From what I remember, it is triggered by being hit, and I think by being hit by an attack that doesn't interrupt or stun you. It looked like it canceled the down ward trajectory of the move and I don't know if you still had a hit box. I don't remember the move being slowed down and still following the same path, I just remember hitting down on the c-stick and just chilling out mid air in the position (like he was about to do the move) but not really doing anything beyond that.

I don't remember what you could do afterwards, the lag involved or if there was a hit box.

All of that summerizes into: Yes, I've seen what you're talking about and have experienced it a few times but know no more about it then you do lol.

onlinenow25

Smash Rookie
It happens with Toon link, and i think ZSS aswell, its when you get hit up, if you do it right after you get hit, the d-air will cancel the momentum of moving up, and you will just sit there floating

mekrith

Smash Rookie
onlinenow25 has got it. It can't be done solo, needs to happen after you get hit upwards.

Pine

Smash Ace
its when you get hit up the momentum is still taking u up so u dont go straight down...its like in melee if u get hit to the right and use pikas side b u will still be going right if you were hit hard enough

its not a glitch its momentum

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
okay there are two things here:

1. using dair after being hit upward will not halt momentum, so it does nothing special.

2. immediately jumping then using dair after being hit upward wit Toon Link, ZSS, Sonic, Sheik or Game & Watch causes a glitch that freezesthem in space for the durration of their dair.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
they posted a vid of toon link using his dair many times and eventually he could float. sonic doesn't float but he slows down at least from what i've seen and read.

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
If you get hit upwards, and try to dair immediately, he activates the attack, but he doesn't go down. the brawl floatyness nullifies the effect of going down. It happens sometimes, but I think it's good. It's not really game breaking though. ^_^

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
Is just Upward momentun vs downward momentun = no move, not a glitch , just a logic answer of the game to this situation.

skisonic

Smash Rookie
word. i figured it out later that day. was severely disappointed cuz i thought sonic was bout to have some sick combos off backthrow. oh well. thanks!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
actually, as I've said, there is a glitch.

it's in the game's programming that, if you have any upward momentum, using Dair will not have anny effect on your momentum... HOWEVER, if you jump while you still have upward momentum and then immediately use Dair, you will freeze in place until the dair is done.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Ah, I suppose I should have used the search function before I posted in Zeal's thread . . . *face-slap*

Yeah, I've been playing quite extensively (almost exclusively) with Sonic over the past couple days, and I've seen this occur quite a number of times. I'm pretty sure that Hedgedawg has the right idea. Here's my scenario:

- My controls were set to default. Tap Jump was turned on.
- This would usually occur when I was knocked sideways and upward. I would DI up (causing me to Tap Jump when doing it late, which I've found myself doing often . . . -_-''') and toward the middle of the stage and then almost immediately Down Air to intercept the opponent.
- The result is a Down Air that is essentially suspended in mid-air. Weird . . .

Anyways, I've seen this occur a lot less frequently after I turned tap jumping off . . . I wasn't able to find any real use for it, as it would seemingly occur at completely random times. If anything, it makes Sonic a sitting duck in the air, as I would almost always miss the opponent due to me expecting the attack to hit the enemy on the ground.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
This can also happen when it looks like all momentum from getting hit is canceled; it can be deceptive because you're no longer flying from getting hit but there's a short period of time there where a down air will behave like this.

Top Bottom