• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Tbh it was never that bad. The parts where you had to jump from those moving platforms made me want to kill myself though. So many tries before I got them down :urg:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It was jumping from moving platform to moving platform, avoiding enemies and spikes and simply trying to keep up with everything that was going on while imminent death rose up the screen the whole time.

I never reached the end of that level but I did reach the end of my wallet at the arcade.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
When I was a tiny kid and Sonic 2 was the only game I had, I could never beat Chemical Plant, and if I managed to do so I would never ever get past Marble Hill Zone. Mostly I just watched my older sister play and played as Tails :3

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
There is no Marble Hill Zone at all, let alone in Sonic 2. Do you mean Aquatic Ruin, or Hill Top?

I always managed to get past Chemical Plant when I was little, getting as far as Sky Chase when I was 4, so I can't share the hatred for the level like most others.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow man seriously? Goddamn the farthest I've ever gone to before I died was at Metropolis Zone, and I'm 15 :c

Also, I really dislike Afghanistan Oil Plant Zone. I don't know why, but it's possibly the presence of oil at the bottom of the the level that would **** me up by making me sink into it, and let's not forget the boss battle there holy crap that was such a nightmare for me

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Wow man seriously? Goddamn the farthest I've ever gone to before I died was at Metropolis Zone, and I'm 15 :c
It helps that Sonic 2 is the first game I even remember playing, so I was more immersed into the game. I've been told that I had also beaten Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 when I was 2 1/2 or 3, lol.

I guess that's the reason why I like Sonic 2 out of any other Sonic game, as opposed to Sonic 3&K like almost everyone else. It was the first game I could remember playing and seeing all the zones.

Also, I really dislike Afghanistan Oil Plant Zone. I don't know why, but it's possibly the presence of oil at the bottom of the the level that would **** me up by making me sink into it, and let's not forget the boss battle there holy crap that was such a nightmare for me
I used to hate Oil Ocean Zone, but then I started warming up to it, thinking it was the most wtf and interesting stage in Sonic 2, to becoming one of my favorite Sonic stages. Maybe because it pulled off the "darker" vibe that the other zones in Sonic 2 couldn't, without even going down the "darker and edgier" route.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
Sounds like me when I was younger. The enemies were annoying to get rid of and they were placed in the worst possible locations too at that. And just when you think you were finished with the level and ready to fight Eggman, the game gives you a third act instead.

The first time I did any level after Metropolis was through level select because of how hard Metropolis was for me.

BSP

Smash Legend
When I was younger, Metropolis kept getting me.

I though Chem. Plant was fun, especially seeing how fast Sonic went when you curl into a ball on the big hills.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Btw what are the chances of this game giving the Sonic series some backstory? I'm not sure if by this point the whole Ovi Kintobor thing really holds up after like 20 years

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
There is no Marble Hill Zone at all, let alone in Sonic 2. Do you mean Aquatic Ruin, or Hill Top?

I always managed to get past Chemical Plant when I was little, getting as far as Sky Chase when I was 4, so I can't share the hatred for the level like most others.
oops. Aquatic Ruin is what I meant. I always fell down below in the beginning of Act 2 and drowned.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So funny this comic encompasses my feelings about the games as of late, except just replace DNF with Sonic

Anyways, Aquatic Ruin wasn't that bad. All I did was camp the bubbles until an air bubble came out and then moved on, and Hill Top pisses me off. The part where the lava starts rising always gets me and the I've missed my exit a couple of times and just died :urg:

BSP

Smash Legend
As great as the classics were, I don't mind Sega trying different things...as long as the gameplay doesn't suck. They should stay somewhat close to the mix of speed and platforming though.

Did anyone else notice in aquatic ruin if you get "crushed" by those falling pillar things underwater, it pushes you below the ground entirely? Weird.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Some more data was cracked out of the data and trial runs, concerning S-Ranks. S-Ranks have the same score limit as A-Ranks do in Generations. However, in order to get S-Rank, you must perform a "perfect" run; you have to complete the stage without getting hit by an enemy or dying from a bottomless pit or whatever, while still getting enough point to net an A-Rank.

The "Restart" button from Unleashed and Colors is still there in the Pause Screen, but like Unleashed, restarting the stage costs you a life, which means that you can't get an S-Rank in that particular runthrough.

I for one like that little facet. It makes getting an S-Rank worthwhile and satisfying to accomplish, as long as enemy placement in some stages isn't cheap to the point of "you have to get hit by this guy or you die."

Also, since getting S-Ranks is relatively tougher this time around, and considering that this game has a shop for abilities and unlockable stuff, I hope there is a biiiiiiig source of unlockable content once all S-Ranks are achieved.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh God no Adabat. That and Chu Nan are the only levels of unleashed where I can't get anything higher than an E :urg:. I think Crisis City is one of the confirmed levels in the game though, so that's somethin to look forwar to

And tbh, I'm happy with their choice for Spagonia for the representative of Unleashed. That level is so amazing when you look at all the detail they out into it. I might not get the highest grade ever when I play it, but it's sure as hell fun to play which is why I like it. That and Atopos are the most amazing levels from Unleashed IMO

And tbh, I'm starting to like the Werehog parts of that game too. Once you level him up, the levels become bearable since you aren't so outclassed. The only thing at this point that keeps me from finishing the game is looking for sun and moon medals which for some reason are a requirement to get new levels

I'm also really looking to look at flying battery zone in modern view. It's gonna be so awesome having Sonic zoom through the interior of the airship and then having an exterior view of the place

:phone:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I've never played PS3 Unleashed - only the Wii version - so I'm looking forward to playing on this Rooftop Run, since I've basically only played a half-hearted one.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I liked Apotos and Spagonia in Unleashed (only played Wii version). Both had epic music.

But Holoska's day stage music takes the cake. :awesome:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh God no Adabat.
I really liked Adabat. I had a hard time getting a good ranking on it too from what I remember.
The main thing I didn't like about it was the massive frame drops here and there on the 360/PS3 version.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I really liked Adabat. I had a hard time getting a good ranking on it too from what I remember.
The main thing I didn't like about it was the massive frame drops here and there on the 360/PS3 version.
But Atopos had those too when you ran through the tables and chairs they put out and that level was fine

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Adabat was hard to S-rank, but still worth my time. I believe it should've been in Generations as opposed to, say, Spagonia. I will admit, though, I don't see how the Egg Dragoon will come straight after Spagonia.

BTW, Chemical Plant FTW. I was skeptical at first, but it's gone now, replaced with shock and awe.

Speaking of Sonic 2, I got to Metropolis pretty easily. I mean, the stages before were easy, if you call using a Continue and playing all day easy (it wouldn't save :(). Except Mystic Cave. That level was the pits. I hated it. Still do.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kinda wish it had Knuckles and Tails as well

Knuckle new, Knuckles class, Tails new, Tails classic

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well they DID release a picture with Modern and Classic Tails together

I'm REALLY hoping that they put Modern and Classic Knuckles together though. If I could see any classic version of these characters it'd have to be a Classic Knuckles and a Classic Shadow (that one doesn't need to be canon, I just REALLY want to see a Classic Shadow version)

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Well they DID release a picture with Modern and Classic Tails together

I'm REALLY hoping that they put Modern and Classic Knuckles together though. If I could see any classic version of these characters it'd have to be a Classic Knuckles and a Classic Shadow (that one doesn't need to be canon, I just REALLY want to see a Classic Shadow version)
Classic Knuckles and Modern Knuckles would totally rock. I always liked the original Knuckles design.

And Classic Shadow could be his Dreamcast design, pre-Sonic Heroes. His Modern one would be post-06.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I thought 'Modern' Sonic was everything post Mega Drive/Genesis and that 'Classic' was everything during Mega Drive/Genesis era?

Does anyone know if this is coming out for PC? I unfortunately own only a Wii and there's no way I'm getting the 3DS version because frankly, it looks very much inferior to the PS3/360 versions

I want this game soooo badly :(

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Classic Knuckles and Modern Knuckles would totally rock. I always liked the original Knuckles design.

And Classic Shadow could be his Dreamcast design, pre-Sonic Heroes. His Modern one would be post-06.
Nah man, there wouldn't be barely any difference in their looks.

I want to see a small fat chibi Shadow. I think he'd look pretty badass as a Classic no lie

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not a shadow fan. Would rather have access to Metal Sonic.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I honestly just don't like how SEGA started ****ing Shadow up by Shadow the Hedgehog.

His only good game was Sonic Adventure 2 and that's just because Shadow wasn't being all emo and crap like he is now

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I facepalm whenever I hear someone go "blah blah Shadow's emo", yadda yadda.

Shadow went from vengeful to redeeming himself at the end of Sonic Adventure 2, to forgetting who he is and questioning his own existence and what he was meant to do. Once he found out the truth and buried the remains of his origins by defeating Black Doom, he just said goodbye to his past and decided to move forward. Nothing depressing or angsty about Shadow now. He's just indifferent, jaded and lives by his own sense of right and wrong. Kind of reminds me of Sonic in a way, just in a more badass light. I don't know what you're talking about, unless it's one of those alternate endings of Shadow the Hedgehog where he wished he wasn't created. Which isn't canon, btw.

[EDIT]

Considering everything he'd been put through, what with being betrayed by humans more than once (from the death of Maria and the shutting down of the ARK, not to mention his future self where he's blamed for Iblis and imprisoned for it), attempted to be used by others for their own means, to come out as an anti-hero? Sounds to me that whether you disagree with the decision to bring Shadow back after Adventure 2 or not, he turned out alright in my books.

I wanna see Shadow again, dangit. No more of this "Sonic only" bull**** we've dealt with for so long. lol

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I never really understood why people got so stroppy about playing characters other than Sonic - I personally loved the variety...although stuff for example like Amy's stages in SA were a bit slow paced and Big's stages were...lol. Need to go back and get A Rank on his stages. I agree that the balance of play should be in favour of Sonic but I don't see what's wrong with offering other characters

Can someone remind me which of Sonic's games have been truly awful to warrant the slander he's received recently? Minus Sonic 2006 that is...and I actually enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog so imo that one doesn't count

Sonic 4 and Unleashed (Wii) weren't so hot

In other news, the music for this game is sounding pretty darn good

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
But Sonic has also been betrayed by the humans as well already. Don't forget how GUN went on a manhunt for him when they mistook him for Shadow and then locked him up in a prison until he was rescued. There's also the time when Silver came back in time to kill Sonic for believing he was the cause of the world's destruction in 06 and you don't see Sonic being all moody all the time over this kind of thing

I honestly think that Shadow doesn't need to be that emo and tbh I'm just one of those people who think that they should've just killed him off by SA2 instead of having to bring him back to life with a ****load of twists and turns concerning who he is. Literally in one game he thinks he's a robot and in the other he turns out to be a being made from alien DNA. I don't like at all how they ended up executing Shadow's character in terms of backstory and his personality these days doesn't exactly fit in the happy-go-lucky world that SEGA has been trying to create in recent games. I mean, you have Sonic who's always happy and who hates to stay still for a long time, you have Tails who is more than happy to assist Sonic and even ends up having his own jokes, Knuckles is a hotheaded Echidna who's naive as hell if he gets fooled by literally every bad guy, Eggman is mastermind scientist who ends up being nothing more than comical relief by today's standards, and so on.

Shadow on the other hand is a brooding black hedgehog who's literally designed by SEGA by this time to just be a fan service to people who think he looks cool because he's black and has a dark side.

It's probably me, but Shadow doesn't exactly belong in a video game series where happiness is a bigger theme than before anymore. Shadow probably fit in well back in the day when people demanded SEGA to give out an in depth story on everything, but the fact is is that people don't want that anymore. People nowadays just want a simple story with as little twists and turns in order to make an even more convoluted storyline that ends up confusing people like having a human woman make out with an animal to revive him. I honestly just want a different personality on Shadow. Make him more lighthearted or something, because Shadow still seems to be the only remnant by this point of the fact that his character only ends up working well with a better attitude and more story (which is not what people want now)

That's honestly my opinion on how to fix Shadow. Make him lighthearted (don't be afraid to give him a joke or two in the game Jesus Christ this is a Sonic game) and make him brood less as to have an easier time incorporating him into the plot because all that brooding would work great with a game with a story in it.

Imo though he should've stayed dead in SA2 though. I thought he died a hero's death and I'd have more respect for Shadow if he just stayed dead, but that's my opinion though.

EDIT: God I can't wait for that Spagonia demo to come out. Holy **** I'm so pumped for that demo. On Unleashed I literally spend hours ONLY playing Atapos and Spagonia. Every other level I keep ****ing up on and tbh I really ended up liking the level design for those two. I honestly feel like those were the 2 levels in the game that they gave A LOT of attention to and you can tell like when you're grinding in the water or you're going up the clocktower respectively. I can find hours of enjoyment with those 2 levels just trying to get a better time and score everytime (but mostly time) like holy crap it's amazing.

So pumped man, Spagonia is one of the best levels in the entire series and I'm sure as hell about that opinion

finalark

SNORLAX
Actually I'm pretty sure the main theme of the Sonic games is "technology and nature should coexist" not "LETS BE HAPPY EVERYONE!"

Regardless, I do see where you're coming from. I do agree with Cloud that his character has pretty much grown out of his "ANGST BROOD ANGST" phase after Shadow the Hedgehog. But you have valid points too Fuel. Such as how Shadow is mostly a relic from the DC era when SEGA was trying to increase the complexity of Sonic. Ironic in that back then it was all the rage and these days everyone wants everything back to normal.

In a way, though, he's kind of taken oven Knuckles' role as Sonic's rival. These day's Knuckles' roles in the story is just to be a minor supporting character and is only still around because he was from the Genesis days.

Frankly, I'm actually okay with being able to play as multiple characters. For me it keeps the game from getting stale and mixes things up a bit by giving you a lot of options when it comes to revisiting levels. Although if SEGA ever did make an Adventure 3 I would like to see Knuckle's levels being a beat-'em-up such as God of War or Bayonetta.

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Knuckles should be a beat-'em-up/Treasure hunting hybrid. I loved those levels.

Shadow isn't emo anymore. I mean, he was emo ONCE in Shadow the Hedgehog, but after that he wasn't emo anymore. And personally, I want to play as multiple characters again.

In short, I agree with Cloud 1000%.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well have you at least seen the cheesy puns that Sonic's putting out there now? I honestly don't see Shadow fitting in very well the way he is.

And eh, I dunno, I kinda like Knuckles better as Sonic's rival. At the very least he had distinguishing traits in the way of abilities. I mean Knuckles can go over places that Sonic can't with his gliding move and wall climbing while Shadow can do exactly everything that Sonic does. Even the ONE thing that he could do that Sonic couldn't (Chaos Control) he ended up having to give that up as well to Sonic because SEGA apparently thought it was a good idea to have Sonic know that as well, and let's not forget Silver, because apparently he ALSO needs to know Chaos Control for some reason as if his telepathic abilities weren't enough. I was fine with Sonic being the only one besides Shadow who knew how to do that because, hey, it's Sonic so I forgave them for that, but giving that ability to Silver was ****ing ******** because they don't make Chaos Control look as hard it was supposed to be to execute

But now I'm going off way too off topic to what I'm trying to point out. I'm just saying that in the way that rivals go, Knuckles beats Shadow over pretty well since at least Knuckles isn't Sonic's near perfect replica.

And I'm ok with different characters as long as the story doesn't become too convoluted because they NEED to put like 20 different characters into the story. For example, if I could choose to play Shadow over Sonic as an option, I'd be perfectly fine with that (seeing as Shadow might as well be a different Sonic skin). I'd also be fine with Tails as a playable character since his flying abilities to give more variety makes more than enough up for the fact that he isn't as fast as Sonic. I'd be fine with Knuckles too as long as it isn't too combat centered AKA Sonic 06 where they'd give you like 20 enemies to fight as Knuckles and give him at the very least the speed to be up to par to at least Tails, if not a bit faster. Besides I'm not too sure if any other characters would be good for the role. Silver is too... different for the Sonic series and would definitely not be good for the gameplay and Amy would be fine if she didn't move as slow as a turtle and could at the very least do a homing attack instead of a normal jump

and yeah, I find it lol that after SEGA started catering to the fan's needs of a story now they need to go back to the way it was in the old days. I honestly don't have a problem with the story as long as it isn't Sonic 06/Sonic Unleashed terrible. I mean I enjoyed SA1's story and SA2 was definitely good, and Sonic Heroes' story was ok, but after that they started going downhill with those. I'm not exactly asking for a return to form of Sonic needs to get from point A to B to finally get to Eggman, I'm honestly just asking for a decent story and if the game needs more than a couple of characters, put them in as long as they contribute to the story and don't **** up the gameplay like Silver did

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to agree with you that Knuckles is a better rival. Both characters serve as a coil for Sonic but Knuckles is unique in his abilities rather than, as you said, being a copy-paste of Sonic like Shadow was. I think the whole "what if Sonic was a bad guy?" angle that Shadow had in Adventure 2 was interesting at first but after they felt the need to resurrect him that was thrown out the window.

And I would love for Knuckles to have combat oriented game play. Just so long as its good combat (SEGA could get Platinum games to develop Knuckles' stages, since they're good at making beat em ups). Not "faceroll through 20 dudes then restart the level because you got stuck between some rocks."

And as far as story goes, I really don't think that SA1 was that good. To me it was more like SEGA experimenting with what they could do with the Universe at the time. Although Gamma had one of the best stories in any Sonic game IMO. Its also a shame that Amy reverted back to Sonic's stalker in SA2 after learning to be independent at the end of SA1.

Kind of makes you wonder what direction the series would have gone in if SEGA didn't discontinue the Dreamcast.

Top Bottom