• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I feel that after SA2 finished, SEGA just literally stopped any sort of character development besides the fact that he's FINALLY over the whole devil doom thing, but he's still a brooding emo copy paste of literally of what Sonic is except in black. I honestly feel that no matter how cool Shadow looks as a character, I can't get over the fact that he hasn't changed a bit from his DC days. He needs a change in character and fast because he's just REALLY lucky that the fanbase is a bunch of 12 year olds who think that anything black with rocket shoes is a badass or else he would've crashed and burned under the eye of the small, competent part of the community.

I wouldn't mind him being serious because obviously as you said he's supposed to be a foil to Sonic, but I honestly would like him to liven up a bit. I mean let's compare this to DBZ (and I only use it as an example because of how similar both series are). We have Goku and Vegeta. Vegeta is a heartless monster who undergoes development over years and ends up being serious, but he ends up livening up a bit as well. He learns to accept the fact that he lives on Earth and actually becomes a nice person to others. By the end of the series you can see Vegeta chilling and even making a joke or two. Now let's look back at Shadow. He starts out as a "heartless monster" (under how humans would see him of course) who wants nothing but revenge, and he finally accepts his past and comes to terms with it, yet he's still the same brooding hedgehog that he was back in SA2. I just can't accept the fact that his personality has barely gone over any sort of development in the longest and I'm hoping that SEGA finally realizes that with the direction the games are starting to go in with the more lively jokish happy thing (yeah yeah there's also the nature vs machinery, but that's honestly just in Colors more than anything because Unleashed still had it's fair share of humor) as evidenced by the fact that all the characters are starting to use more humor in their dialogue and because if you don't take the fact that Sonic is literally running around in a theme park, then I have no idea why at the least Shadow should go under some development like other characters themselves have.

and yeah, I agree with what you said about Knuckles being the best rival. I honestly like to see brawns vs speed. That to me is a much cooler showdown than the anti version of Sonic who does everything he can do exactly the same way he does. As long as Knuckles gets a combat oriented gameplay that's NOT Werehog 2.0 and actually makes sense, I'd be fine with that. I'd honestly prefer more treasure hunting, but I realized that's never going to come back unless there's a huge fan demand, and the way this is going, he's never getting any treasure hunting again.

And to me, at the very least SA1's story was decent. The gameplay however, eh. The game doesn't age to well so the bugs and glitches and slowass movement (Amy and Big) really, REALLY annoy me. I will agree that Gamma's story was one of the best ever in the series. I know it's really cliche with the whole robot ends up gaining a conscience so he goes against his master, but I think the fact that the robot actually ends up sacrificing his life to rescue the flicky inside him was really sweet. Gamma's story is one of the few stories in any game that actually brought at least one tear to my eye (yeah yeah I know) because of how sad it was that the only way to complete his work was by destroying himself. Then the fact that the flicky inside him was Amy's flicky's mother made the story even sweeter because of the fact that it's THAT flicky.

And yeah, I don't like how Amy went from being independent to being a stalker by the end of this, but I'm supposing fans started raging about this because Amy finally became a good role model for women everywhere.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow should be the first experimental alternate-gameplay-styles characters SEGA should use for the game that decides to break out of the Sonic-only monotony. Each of them has particular quirks that can be used alongside the speedy platforming.

Tails can use a flight mechanic similar in Sonic Heroes to access hidden platforms in the sky and far away. Have a meter present to show how much longer he can fly, and maybe include airborne powerups to allow him to fly for longer.

For Knuckles, bring back his ability to just charge into walls and obliterate them as he's still running. Even color code some of the walls to let the player know that Knuckles is the only one who can break through. Give him back his wall-climbing ability to transverse mountains and constructs for certain stages too. Knuckles's strength was a given before he was even designated as a beat-em-up smasher in the Adventure titles, it'd be cool if that hidden-depths persona was brought back.

Shadow can unleash raw energy as an attack. Maybe keep a gauge of sorts that tracks how much energy he uses to attack enemies, and if the gauge completely empties, he becomes fatigued, runs a bit slower, and has to wait a while for the gauge to replenish. And maybe bring back the kill gauge used in Shadow the Hedgehog: once a set number of enemies has been defeated, allow Shadow to use ultimate powers like Chaos Control by the press of a button. Designate Shadow's gameplay as the hard mode of the game, and give him a denser amount of enemies to get by, so the use of his energy is encouraged.

These are just some fairly bare-bones ideas to go with the other 3 characters damn near everyone talks about for the next Sonic game. I think they could work.

Generations-related, Gamescon is this Wednesday. Generations 3DS is apparently going to be at this, so it's be nice to how that is developing.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Eh, I don't like the idea of the stamina gauge. Shadow uses rocket shoes to run fast. Why would he ever become fatigued if it's his shoes doing all his work?

And man I just realized this is the only thread where my posts aren't all short-like and I actually type out paragraphs lol

finalark

SNORLAX
You're in a wall-of-text mood tonight, aren't you Fuel?

Yeah I feel that after SA2 finished, SEGA just literally stopped any sort of character development besides the fact that he's FINALLY over the whole devil doom thing, but he's still a brooding emo copy paste of literally of what Sonic is except in black.
Well, we really haven't seen much of him since Sonic '06. He wasn't emo in that game.

I honestly feel that no matter how cool Shadow looks as a character, I can't get over the fact that he hasn't changed a bit from his DC days. He needs a change in character and fast because he's just REALLY lucky that the fanbase is a bunch of 12 year olds who think that anything black with rocket shoes is a badass or else he would've crashed and burned under the eye of the small, competent part of the community.
The thing is that he's sole point of characterization was his dark and tormented past. They resolved that in SA2 so they knocked the memory of that out of him so they could use it again. I think that if '06 didn't suck in nearly ever way we could have gotten a good look at what Shadow is like when he's finally over the ARK incident.

Shadow = Vageta only without all of his character development and the newer games are very humorous and upbeat which makes Shadow out of place.
I think if SEGA were to give Shadow a personality similar to post-namek Vageta he could fit in. I'd also like to point out that "Nature VS. Machine" and "Technology in harmony with nature" were major themes in the original Genesis games. Then they dropped that until Colors.

and yeah, I agree with what you said about Knuckles being the best rival. I honestly like to see brawns vs speed. That to me is a much cooler showdown than the anti version of Sonic who does everything he can do exactly the same way he does. As long as Knuckles gets a combat oriented gameplay that's NOT Werehog 2.0 and actually makes sense, I'd be fine with that. I'd honestly prefer more treasure hunting, but I realized that's never going to come back unless there's a huge fan demand, and the way this is going, he's never getting any treasure hunting again.
I just think that combat fits his character more than treasure hunting does.

Opinion about SA1
I honestly think that the only parts of SA1 where were compelling where Gamma's awesome story and how the Echidna Empire brought itself to ruin. Other than that it wasn't anything that special. Oh, and Amy's forgotten character development was pretty good too.

And yeah, I don't like how Amy went from being independent to being a stalker by the end of this, but I'm supposing fans started raging about this because Amy finally became a good role model for women everywhere.
I don't even know why they changed her back. Maybe they just kind of decided to stick with what they know or something.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You're in a wall-of-text mood tonight, aren't you Fuel?
Don't expect this amount of content in my posts in any other thread lol

Well, we really haven't seen much of him since Sonic '06. He wasn't emo in that game.
The way that Shadow rubbed off on me when I played Sonic 06 really was that of a look that he was still emo in that game.

The thing is that he's sole point of characterization was his dark and tormented past. They resolved that in SA2 so they knocked the memory of that out of him so they could use it again. I think that if '06 didn't suck in nearly ever way we could have gotten a good look at what Shadow is like when he's finally over the ARK incident.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure when most of the community looks at him, his sole point of characterization is his "cool serious personality" and that's why SEGA doesn't change this.

And I honestly hope that you're right that if Sonic 06 had more development time, that Shadow would've had more development and turned out better

I think if SEGA were to give Shadow a personality similar to post-namek Vageta he could fit in. I'd also like to point out that "Nature VS. Machine" and "Technology in harmony with nature" were major themes in the original Genesis games. Then they dropped that until Colors.
I dunno, it could also be that the technology vs nature thing could also be a theme right along with being happy and making the most of what you got just like Sonic always likes to blather on about

Since we're still comparing Shadow to Vegeta, Vegeta nearly broke down when he heard that the guy he was working for did a mass genocide of his race and planet with only using one finger, and yet he still turned out alright, but Shadow who people ended up killing the person he loved the most and then keeping him in a stasis chamber for like 50 years still can't at the least start livening up a bit little by little like Vegeta did.

I just think that combat fits his character more than treasure hunting does.
If we base it off character, yes, yes it does.

If we base if off gameplay, no, no it doesn't.

I honestly think that the only parts of SA1 where were compelling where Gamma's awesome story and how the Echidna Empire brought itself to ruin. Other than that it wasn't anything that special. Oh, and Amy's forgotten character development was pretty good too.
Eh yeah, although I guess Tails's story was pretty good I guess. He ended up learning to not depend on Sonic for everything he does just like Amy learned to stop depending on Sonic to rescue her

I don't even know why they changed her back. Maybe they just kind of decided to stick with what they know or something.
Yeah I don't know why the changed it back. I honestly think that if they had gone with her becoming independent, she honestly could've been a great role model for women everywhere given the proper character development.

finalark

SNORLAX
Don't expect this amount of content in my posts in any other thread lol
Well you should keep it up because it makes for a good conversation.

The way that Shadow rubbed off on me when I played Sonic 06 really was that of a look that he was still emo in that game.
For me it was less emo and more pissed off about everything.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure when most of the community looks at him, his sole point of characterization is his "cool serious personality" and that's why SEGA doesn't change this.
Well, that's another way to see it. Regardless, his past was a major character arc for him. Once it was resolved what does SEGA do? Make him forget and do it again.

And I honestly hope that you're right that if Sonic 06 had more development time, that Shadow would've had more development and turned out better
IMO Sonic '06 could have been awesome. If some of the bad ideas the game had were cut and SEGA didn't try to push it out early for a Christmas release.

I dunno, it could also be that the technology vs nature thing could also be a theme right along with being happy and making the most of what you got just like Sonic always likes to blather on about
Yeah, I guess so.

Since we're still comparing Shadow to Vegeta, Vegeta nearly broke down when he heard that the guy he was working for did a mass genocide of his race and planet with only using one finger, and yet he still turned out alright, but Shadow who people ended up killing the person he loved the most and then keeping him in a stasis chamber for like 50 years still can't at the least start livening up a bit little by little like Vegeta did.
Well, with Unleashed onward SEGA seems determined to ditch everyone but Sonic, Tails and Robotnick so we'll never find out how things turned out for Shadow.

If we base it off character, yes, yes it does.

If we base if off gameplay, no, no it doesn't.
If we base this game play idea off of his character then it makes sense. But if we base this game play idea off of game play it doesn't. What?

If you mean that it goes against his game play established in Adventure, well, putting Tails in a mech kind of goes against his game play in SA1 so why not revamp Knuckles?

Eh yeah, although I guess Tails's story was pretty good I guess. He ended up learning to not depend on Sonic for everything he does just like Amy learned to stop depending on Sonic to rescue her
We see the results of Tails' story in the later games like how he operates independently in several cases post SA1. Amy on the other hand, not so much.

Yeah I don't know why the changed it back. I honestly think that if they had gone with her becoming independent, she honestly could've been a great role model for women everywhere given the proper character development.
I'm guessing that Blaze will be filling the "strong female role model" archtype from now on. I hope.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well you should keep it up because it makes for a good conversation.
It's honestly just in this thread because I feel so strongly in this series because I grew up idolizing Sonic and even when the games started becoming **** I never gave up on the series lol

I find it fun to argue with you though. You're one of the few people who likes Sonic who doesn't totally piss me off

For me it was less emo and more pissed off about everything.
There isn't much of a difference tbh

Well, that's another way to see it. Regardless, his past was a major character arc for him. Once it was resolved what does SEGA do? Make him forget and do it again.
Now that's just lazy writing imo

IMO Sonic '06 could have been awesome. If some of the bad ideas the game had were cut and SEGA didn't try to push it out early for a Christmas release.
Yeah, I agree. If they fleshed out the game a bit more before release I'm sure it could've been the next SA3. Btw I'm staking that SEGA hasn't done a SA3 yet because I bet you they're just waiting for the right moment to use that gem in a worst case scenario where they run out of ideas

Well, with Unleashed onward SEGA seems determined to ditch everyone but Sonic, Tails and Robotnick so we'll never find out how things turned out for Shadow.
I honestly find it weird how SEGA acknowledges Shadow as a viable character in the series, yet he gets shoved aside just like the rest of the cast for Sonic/Tails and Eggman central stories (unless you count the DS Colors as canon)

If we base this game play idea off of his character then it makes sense. But if we base this game play idea off of game play it doesn't. What?
Yeah, I mean, as a game play idea, the whole treasure hunting thing is a great idea with knuckles since he can glide and climb walls. However, as a character centralized idea, the whole gliding and climbing walls to find hidden treasure doesn't really make much sense since he's more of a brawler guy. I mean, if it were knuckles, would you really expect him to spend most of his time looking for treasure based off character? The only reason why he treasure hunted in the first place was because it was to his benefit to get all the Master Emerald shards as a whole again to bring his island back upto in the sky/save the gem from the evil clutches of eggman

If there is possibly ANY other way at all to make it so that Knuckles can treasure hunt again without needing the Master Emerald to shatter as a plot device, I'd sure as hell like to see it because I don't see Knuckles doing this often

[quoteIf you mean that it goes against his game play established in Adventure, well, putting Tails in a mech kind of goes against his game play in SA1 so why not revamp Knuckles?[/quote]

See above for my reason

We see the results of Tails' story in the later games like how he operates independently in several cases post SA1. Amy on the other hand, not so much.
Yeah you could say that, but seeing as he learned this whole moral by the end of SA1, you'd at least expect him to be completely independent and actually LEAD Sonic around for once or something instead of having to be his lackey. I mean, Tails is more than capable of being at least near the speed that Sonic goes at if we count the 2D games and the fact that Tails can beat Sonic in races in SA1 (yes yes I know the AI for Sonic in that game is a piece of ****, but it still counts)

I'm guessing that Blaze will be filling the "strong female role model" archtype from now on. I hope.
Possibly, but unless Silver is not going to be in the game, I don't see much hope of Blaze returning. Especially after ****ing up the continuity so much as they did with Sonic Rush and 06 where at least in Sonic Rush Blaze still had a shred of hope appearing without the need of another crappy character

finalark

SNORLAX
It's honestly just in this thread because I feel so strongly in this series because I grew up idolizing Sonic and even when the games started becoming **** I never gave up on the series lol

I find it fun to argue with you though. You're one of the few people who likes Sonic who doesn't totally piss me off
I consider it more of a debate or a discussion. If it was an argument we would be typing loudly in all caps in making illogical points and directly insulting each other.

There isn't much of a difference tbh
To me, emo is "WAAAH NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" while angry is "I AM ALWAYS AGITATED ABOUT SOMETHING!"

Now that's just lazy writing imo
Pretty much. They had no idea what to do with him after SA2 so they took the easy way out.

Yeah, I agree. If they fleshed out the game a bit more before release I'm sure it could've been the next SA3. Btw I'm staking that SEGA hasn't done a SA3 yet because I bet you they're just waiting for the right moment to use that gem in a worst case scenario where they run out of ideas
No way, SA3 will be a launch title for the Dreamcast 2 :troll:

But seriously, its probably their ace in the hole. If anything, they're going to put it out once they're fully confident in the quality of the newer titles and advertising as Sonic's big come back.

I honestly find it weird how SEGA acknowledges Shadow as a viable character in the series, yet he gets shoved aside just like the rest of the cast for Sonic/Tails and Eggman central stories (unless you count the DS Colors as canon)
I think that the newer Sonic/Tails/Eggman stories are just around for SEGA to take a breather from the "HOLY HELL THE WORLD IS ENDING WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" shenanigans of most of the 3D Sonic titles. I like the idea of smaller scale stores with a more tightly focused cast. I just hope they extend to beyond the StH2 trio.

Yeah, I mean, as a game play idea, the whole treasure hunting thing is a great idea with knuckles since he can glide and climb walls. However, as a character centralized idea, the whole gliding and climbing walls to find hidden treasure doesn't really make much sense since he's more of a brawler guy. I mean, if it were knuckles, would you really expect him to spend most of his time looking for treasure based off character? The only reason why he treasure hunted in the first place was because it was to his benefit to get all the Master Emerald shards as a whole again to bring his island back upto in the sky/save the gem from the evil clutches of eggman
Ah, I see what you mean now. I think the Treasure Hunter was a good idea, and it was much better in SA2 than it was in SA1, but the fan base seems to be split over if they were fun or tedious as hell. Then again, what isn't the Sonic fan base split over?

On an interesting note, the treasure hunting game play was probably lifted from the Sonic movie in which Knuckles was a traveling treasure hunter.

If there is possibly ANY other way at all to make it so that Knuckles can treasure hunt again without needing the Master Emerald to shatter as a plot device, I'd sure as hell like to see it because I don't see Knuckles doing this often
I really can't think of any reason for him to be hunting aside for the Emerald, honestly.

Yeah you could say that, but seeing as he learned this whole moral by the end of SA1, you'd at least expect him to be completely independent and actually LEAD Sonic around for once or something instead of having to be his lackey. I mean, Tails is more than capable of being at least near the speed that Sonic goes at if we count the 2D games and the fact that Tails can beat Sonic in races in SA1 (yes yes I know the AI for Sonic in that game is a piece of ****, but it still counts)
I think Tails makes a strong support character and it really doesn't fit his personality to try and one-up Sonic. And we do see him doing things on his own, such as busting Sonic out of Prison Island in SA2 or, more recently, doing all of the behind the scenes work while Sonic fights Robotnick in Colors.

Really, his "tagalong kid" role was dropped after SA1 when he proved he didn't need Sonic to accomplish his goals at the end of the story.

Possibly, but unless Silver is not going to be in the game, I don't see much hope of Blaze returning. Especially after ****ing up the continuity so much as they did with Sonic Rush and 06 where at least in Sonic Rush Blaze still had a shred of hope appearing without the need of another crappy character
I'm hoping for a reboot where they can do whatever they want with the characters without worrying about Sonic's loose and nonsense cannon it's built up over the years.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I consider it more of a debate or a discussion. If it was an argument we would be typing loudly in all caps in making illogical points and directly insulting each other.
YOU MOTHER ****ER WE ARE ARGUING ***** ***** ***** **** ***** ********

no but seriously, I enjoy debating with you. It's a subject I actually think I know a thing or two about and you don't make a bunch of illogical points like most people

To me, emo is "WAAAH NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" while angry is "I AM ALWAYS AGITATED ABOUT SOMETHING!"
Either way, that's a REALLY annoying quality about Shadow no matter what word we're using to describe it. If he loosened up a bit I'd be cool with him again even after bringing him back to life and twisting up his story about 3 times in a row

No way, SA3 will be a launch title for the Dreamcast 2 :troll:

But seriously, its probably their ace in the hole. If anything, they're going to put it out once they're fully confident in the quality of the newer titles and advertising as Sonic's big come back.
Seriously, did you hear about how Generations was NEARLY Sonic Adventure 3? I bet you they came up with the whole Classic Sonic gimmick idea just before they announced SA3 because it makes sense being Sonic's 20th and because it's yet another way to hold back on ideas before they bust out this gem

I think that the newer Sonic/Tails/Eggman stories are just around for SEGA to take a breather from the "HOLY HELL THE WORLD IS ENDING WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" shenanigans of most of the 3D Sonic titles. I like the idea of smaller scale stores with a more tightly focused cast. I just hope they extend to beyond the StH2 trio.
I hope what you're saying is true so that they can just take off the heat from their ****fest of games they've released recently. I at the very least want to see Knuckles involved in the story. It can't be that hard to make another Angel Island story where Knuckles will definitely be involved can't it?

And I also honestly really ****ing hope with all my heart that some sort of Classic Shadow is involved in this game while we're talking about expanding the cast. I think it'd be cute as hell to run around as Classic Shadow in these stages and I hope he'd be at the very least an unlockable

Ah, I see what you mean now. I think the Treasure Hunter was a good idea, and it was much better in SA2 than it was in SA1, but the fan base seems to be split over if they were fun or tedious as hell. Then again, what isn't the Sonic fan base split over?
Iunno, the fact that Sonic 06 is universally hated by both the bad and the good parts of the community has to be something. Besides that, I have no idea what they aren't split over

On an interesting note, the treasure hunting game play was probably lifted from the Sonic movie in which Knuckles was a traveling treasure hunter.
Interesting, I never knew that bit of trivia

I really can't think of any reason for him to be hunting aside for the Emerald, honestly.
Exactly. Imo if any treasure hunting should be done, it should be being done by Rouge. She's a real treasure hunter who will collect about anything. It's just too bad that if they do bring Rouge back to hunt, it'll really feel awfully empty that Knuckles isn't involved, especially when they both make such a good pair. I'm honestly sad they didn't expand on this because they could've done so much with them (I'm not asking for a romance or anything, but I'd like to see them become more in the way of rivals just like Shadow and Sonic are)

I think Tails makes a strong support character and it really doesn't fit his personality to try and one-up Sonic. And we do see him doing things on his own, such as busting Sonic out of Prison Island in SA2 or, more recently, doing all of the behind the scenes work while Sonic fights Robotnick in Colors.

Really, his "tagalong kid" role was dropped after SA1 when he proved he didn't need Sonic to accomplish his goals at the end of the story.
Eh, imo his job on busting Sonic out of jail in SA2 was probably the only time that Tails set out to do something that Sonic wasn't leading him on. Doing the behind the scenes work Colors really doesn't count as him being independent imo. It's more of him just doing whatever Sonic tells him to do like a lackey.

I mean I don't ask for him to be a one-upper like Knuckles and Shadow try to be, but I'm honestly asking for Tails to just take the lead for once like he did in SA2 more often. If Sonic is out on a level on Dr. Eggman's ship trying to get to the base, how about he tries to find some sort of room where he can hack into to bust Sonic in or if Sonic needs a distraction to get into a base, Tails can summon his mecha suit and start kicking *** with it to give Sonic enough time to get into the base

Anything like that would be acceptable. I just want Tails to be more important to Sonic's escapades than just a mean of transport, a traveling buddy, and the guy who just works on an alien translator for the entire game while Sonic goes out to do all the cool stuff.

Just something like that, I just don't want to see Tails be such a waste of space or something

I'm hoping for a reboot where they can do whatever they want with the characters without worrying about Sonic's loose and nonsense cannon it's built up over the years.
Yeah, a reboot is in order by this point. And I mean a reboot that won't make all of the current Sonic games useless because then I'd feel as insulted as I was by the end of 06. I just want at least ONE game where they show off Sonic's backstory. You know how badly I want to see Sonic's origins? How did he get his super sonic speed? Where did he get those shoes? How the hell did he become blue in the first place? That whole backstory they did 20 years ago holds no water by today because of how ****ed up the whole continuity became and because the creators didn't exactly want to push that backstory onto every game since they just forgot about it years later.

That, and I honestly want to see something better than Robotnik accidentally slipping on that rotten egg on his machine and then becoming evil >_>

finalark

SNORLAX
no but seriously, I enjoy debating with you. It's a subject I actually think I know a thing or two about and you don't make a bunch of illogical points like most people
Same goes to you.

Either way, that's a REALLY annoying quality about Shadow no matter what word we're using to describe it. If he loosened up a bit I'd be cool with him again even after bringing him back to life and twisting up his story about 3 times in a row
I think at this point it would be best if they just rewrote his character from the ground up.

Seriously, did you hear about how Generations was NEARLY Sonic Adventure 3? I bet you they came up with the whole Classic Sonic gimmick idea just before they announced SA3 because it makes sense being Sonic's 20th and because it's yet another way to hold back on ideas before they bust out this gem
Sonic '06 was also almost Sonic Adventure 3. As you said, I bet they're saving the title for something special.

I hope what you're saying is true so that they can just take off the heat from their ****fest of games they've released recently. I at the very least want to see Knuckles involved in the story. It can't be that hard to make another Angel Island story where Knuckles will definitely be involved can't it?
Most fans love Knuckles, I'm sure we'll see him soon.

And I also honestly really ****ing hope with all my heart that some sort of Classic Shadow is involved in this game while we're talking about expanding the cast. I think it'd be cute as hell to run around as Classic Shadow in these stages and I hope he'd be at the very least an unlockable
I like the idea of skins for both modern and classic Sonic. It could give you something to go after once the main game is finished.

Iunno, the fact that Sonic 06 is universally hated by both the bad and the good parts of the community has to be something. Besides that, I have no idea what they aren't split over
Believe it or not, I have actually encountered people on the internet who actually enjoyed Sonic '06. :confused:

Exactly. Imo if any treasure hunting should be done, it should be being done by Rouge. She's a real treasure hunter who will collect about anything. It's just too bad that if they do bring Rouge back to hunt, it'll really feel awfully empty that Knuckles isn't involved, especially when they both make such a good pair. I'm honestly sad they didn't expand on this because they could've done so much with them (I'm not asking for a romance or anything, but I'd like to see them become more in the way of rivals just like Shadow and Sonic are)
I agree with you here. The two form excellent foils for each other and should interact more. Instead they just have her hanging out with Shadow all of the time.

Eh, imo his job on busting Sonic out of jail in SA2 was probably the only time that Tails set out to do something that Sonic wasn't leading him on. Doing the behind the scenes work Colors really doesn't count as him being independent imo. It's more of him just doing whatever Sonic tells him to do like a lackey.
Certainly a step up from the StH2 manual where he's basically Sonic's *****.

I mean I don't ask for him to be a one-upper like Knuckles and Shadow try to be, but I'm honestly asking for Tails to just take the lead for once like he did in SA2 more often. If Sonic is out on a level on Dr. Eggman's ship trying to get to the base, how about he tries to find some sort of room where he can hack into to bust Sonic in or if Sonic needs a distraction to get into a base, Tails can summon his mecha suit and start kicking *** with it to give Sonic enough time to get into the base
Agreed. It would be nice to see tails take a more active role.

Anything like that would be acceptable. I just want Tails to be more important to Sonic's escapades than just a mean of transport, a traveling buddy, and the guy who just works on an alien translator for the entire game while Sonic goes out to do all the cool stuff.
We've seen that Tails can actually do more than tag along with Sonic. I agree that he shouldn't just be a behind-the-scenes character.

Yeah, a reboot is in order by this point. And I mean a reboot that won't make all of the current Sonic games useless because then I'd feel as insulted as I was by the end of 06. I just want at least ONE game where they show off Sonic's backstory. You know how badly I want to see Sonic's origins? How did he get his super sonic speed? Where did he get those shoes? How the hell did he become blue in the first place? That whole backstory they did 20 years ago holds no water by today because of how ****ed up the whole continuity became and because the creators didn't exactly want to push that backstory onto every game since they just forgot about it years later.
Well, making all of the current and old entries into a franchise are kind of what a reboot does. I guess it would be kind of interesting to see them shift around the timeline a bit and put Colors before SA1 and then pick up from where SA2 left off while ignoring everything in Heroes onward. However, I'm pretty sure that Generations is going to end in a reboot.

That, and I honestly want to see something better than Robotnik accidentally slipping on that rotten egg on his machine and then becoming evil >_>
Oh yeah, I remember that old as hell comic. Strange nonsense was in the 90s.

On an off hand note, I think it would be pretty awesome if at the end of Generations modern Sonic gave classic Sonic a super meta speech that went something like this:

"Have as much fun as you can now, these days are some of your best
(refering to the Genesis era)
but its gonna have to end some day
(death of the Dreamcast)
. Things might look down for a while
(Sonic's dork age ranging from Heroes-Unleashed)
but don't worry, you'll be back on top in no time!
(Colors)
. Oh, and you might now like him now but the plumber is a pretty cool guy once you get to know him
(Genesis VS SNES console war)
."

Oh, and throw several jabs at the fanbase in there too.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
There's certainly going to some kind of jab toward the canon and whatnot when both Sonics make it to the Sonic 06 level. But I doubt any kind of 4th-wall-breaking of that caliber will show up in the game.

Concerning SA3, the newly constructed SEGA of Mexico has blatantly left hints of an Adventure game of some kind being made in the future, as well as a new Storybook game, within the past 50 some odd days. And recently, hints of a port/remake of the original Sonic Adventure is being made for the 3DS was made known by, again, SEGA of Mexico.

finalark

SNORLAX
Concerning SA3, the newly constructed SEGA of Mexico has blatantly left hints of an Adventure game of some kind being made in the future, as well as a new Storybook game, within the past 50 some odd days. And recently, hints of a port/remake of the original Sonic Adventure is being made for the 3DS was made known by, again, SEGA of Mexico.
Well, it looks like SEGA of Mexico is a good place to go for leeks. In time we'll find out exactly how true said leeks are.

I still think that Adventure 3 will be their ace in the hole once they have full confidence in Sonic again. With Colors being widely accepted as not sucking they seem to be going this way. It might have taken them almost a decade but soon perhaps SEGA will return to form and start paying attention to its franchises outside of Sonic and widely promote them for once.

As for the Adventure port/remake on the 3DS, I am happy that SEGA is showing interest in the console. It would be nice to see ports of other Dreamcast games on it. Maybe give Jet Grind Radio and Skies of Arcadia some love.

Oh, and I'm surprised that SEGA is still interested in continuing the Storybook series.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I think at this point it would be best if they just rewrote his character from the ground up.

Agreed

Sonic '06 was also almost Sonic Adventure 3. As you said, I bet they're saving the title for something special.
Also agreed

Most fans love Knuckles, I'm sure we'll see him soon.
I hope so. I want to hear Knuckles's awesome rap lyrics again :awesome:

I like the idea of skins for both modern and classic Sonic. It could give you something to go after once the main game is finished.
Or if not unlockable skins then make it DLC or something, I just don't want to be stuck playing as Sonic for the entire game when I finish it.

Which reminds me, I want an option where it enables you to have Classic Tails following Classic Sonic around in his levels just like in the old games. I think that'd be pretty sweet when you're running around in Chemical Plant Zone and he'll be killing himself in the water just like old times :awesome:

Believe it or not, I have actually encountered people on the internet who actually enjoyed Sonic '06. :confused:
How can anybody like this game holy crap. I only know of one friend who actually enjoyed this and I had to show him everything that was wrong with the game for him to still tell me that the game was at least decent. I showed him every bug, every glitch, and even every part of the gameplay that sucked regardless of the glitches or bugs.

Then I just left his room when he said that it was a damn good game. Oh well, I guess that's just his opinion, even if it's a ******** one that has a bunch of evidence to prove otherwise

I agree with you here. The two form excellent foils for each other and should interact more. Instead they just have her hanging out with Shadow all of the time.
I blame the fact that the fans want Shadow getting laid with Rouge instead of having her one-up Knuckles. It was seriously funny everytime Rouge made fun of Knuckles and he got all pissed off at her.

Certainly a step up from the StH2 manual where he's basically Sonic's *****.
You had me there

Agreed. It would be nice to see tails take a more active role.
yup

We've seen that Tails can actually do more than tag along with Sonic. I agree that he shouldn't just be a behind-the-scenes character.
Too bad SEGA doesn't realize this yet

Which reminds me, literally any moral of the story that they did in SA1 they literally just went back on. Tails could be more independent, but he's still Sonic's useless lackey. Amy could be a strong woman, but instead she's still Sonic's creepy stalker girl. Knuckles... eh well at least he doesn't remind me of Shadow anymore with the whole who the **** am I and why the **** am I here.

Well, making all of the current and old entries into a franchise are kind of what a reboot does. I guess it would be kind of interesting to see them shift around the timeline a bit and put Colors before SA1 and then pick up from where SA2 left off while ignoring everything in Heroes onward. However, I'm pretty sure that Generations is going to end in a reboot.

Oh yeah, I remember that old as hell comic. Strange nonsense was in the 90s.
It made for an awesome comic though. Sonic the Comic was pretty awesome seeing as who wouldn't love an out of control Super Saiyan Sonic

On an off hand note, I think it would be pretty awesome if at the end of Generations modern Sonic gave classic Sonic a super meta speech that went something like this:

"Have as much fun as you can now, these days are some of your best
(refering to the Genesis era)
but its gonna have to end some day
(death of the Dreamcast)
. Things might look down for a while
(Sonic's dork age ranging from Heroes-Unleashed)
but don't worry, you'll be back on top in no time!
(Colors)
. Oh, and you might now like him now but the plumber is a pretty cool guy once you get to know him
(Genesis VS SNES console war)
."

Oh, and throw several jabs at the fanbase in there too.
That'd be kinda awesome except I'm not sure if they can pull the plumber part off without any lawsuits from Nintendo, but what do I know I'm just a kid and I have no idea how this copyright stuff works except for the fact that you can't take anybody else's work as your own *shrugs shoulders*

He should also say:

Kid, trust me your fans are going to be the most pickyass little ******** kids ever so just ignore them and keep on running.

Because that's pretty much what I'd tell Classic Sonic if I were in Modern Sonic's shoes

I'm ok with another storybook game. Black Knights wasn't that bad of a game, people just hated the fact that Sonic couldn't run as fast as he could in like Unleashed. I honestly enjoyed playing it. I enjoyed the change of pace with the cutscenes, seeing Knuckles, Blaze, and Shadow as the knights of the round table was cool, the music was amazing (seriously, Fight the Night and Knight of the Wind are definitely one of my favorite pieces of music in any Sonic game), and seeing that knight version of Super Sonic made me have such a hard fangasm when I first saw it. Who wouldn't love a Super Sonic with a huge golden sword with awesome looking golden armor. I'd definitely be ok with seeing that armor again in another game

And I'd be ok with a Sonic Adventure remake. As long as they remake the look of the game, fix every piece of annoying bug in the game, made Big's levels not ******** and the forest... well a little less linear and added more instructions as to what you're supposed to do in adventure fields, I'm going to be ok with this game because those were all my gripes about SA1 tbh

Although I ****ing want a SA2 remake already :mad:. I don't have a GC anymore and I sold my Wii so I can't get SA2B, the XBL Marketplace and the PSN Store are too gay to make it so that they could've ported SA2 to the stores since apparently fans wouldn't care since they have literally every old major Sonic game EXCEPT SA2 which was all I cared about hearing when I heard they'd port these games there.

I mean what's the problem with making some sort of SA2 port? I'm not asking for much. They can even remove the MP if they wish because most of the time I'm on singleplayer mode anyways. It could be the crappiest port in the world and I'd still play it.

Well, it looks like SEGA of Mexico is a good place to go for leeks. In time we'll find out exactly how true said leeks are.

I still think that Adventure 3 will be their ace in the hole once they have full confidence in Sonic again. With Colors being widely accepted as not sucking they seem to be going this way. It might have taken them almost a decade but soon perhaps SEGA will return to form and start paying attention to its franchises outside of Sonic and widely promote them for once.
You know all I'm curious for SA3 is how they're going to handle GRAB RINGS GRAB RINGS GRAB RINGS SPEEEEEEED BOOOOOOOOOOOOST GRAB MORE RINGS GRAB MORE RINGS GRAB EVEN MORE RINGS SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST.

I mean that's already there to stay and I don't mind it because it honestly does give you the impression that Sonic is the fastest thing alive, but for an Adventure game that doesn't work because the point of the Adventure games is to gain momentum which is MUCH harder than just grabbing rings to go faster. It's not like they can just ignore that Sonic can do this especially after making this ability in 2 now 3 straight Sonic games in a row

As for the Adventure port/remake on the 3DS, I am happy that SEGA is showing interest in the console. It would be nice to see ports of other Dreamcast games on it. Maybe give Jet Grind Radio and Skies of Arcadia some love.
Never cared for those. I want to see a Crazy Taxi remake though because that game ate all my quarters in the arcade when I was five :mad:

Oh, and I'm surprised that SEGA is still interested in continuing the Storybook series.
yeah, after all the negative reception on that series along with SEGA denying the existence of any game with a score lower than 70% on Metacritic, I'm surprised they'd make another storybook game.

But hey, as long as it isn't total **** like Secret Rings was and if it's at least for 3DS because I know I'll pick it up someday, I'm down with another game I'm not picky

EDIT:

And why is it that even in every ****ty Sonic game they make it so that at least the music is good. I swear some of these pieces are amazing man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXi0GpOSArw&feature=related I hadn't even heard this one till today because I haven't even gotten to the end of Unleashed yet because the game is gay enough to have me looking for Moon Medals and I'm too lazy to replay levels I don't like like Chu Nan and Shamar

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Lol Fuelbi's gone balls-out with his posts now. XD

By the way, new trailer up on IGN. Includes some new footage of Seaside Hill, Chemical Plant, and Spagonia. And you see both Tails at the end.

Personally, I'd love to play as multiple characters in SG. I mean, it'd be a change of pace from the BOOOOOOST spamming that's going on nowadays. Tails would fly (NO DURR) and have separate routes, Knuckles would be more like he was in Adventure 2 where he'd have this one sandbox to work with and then he could find secret routes, except in this game he'd have some sandboxes where he'd have to hunt down switches and the like to progress. Shadow would be nearly identical to Sonic, with the exception that his drift would rely on his shoes' hovering. Amy, I dunno, Sonic but with a hammer, slower, and different routes? And so on...

I mean, I loved Adventure/2 for the variety, and even 06 had SOME variety (still didn't fix it). Which is why I want a new Adventure. I mean, everyone loved those, right? Just don't break the camera, voice acting, or glitch up the game so bad and you'd have your glory days back, Sega. And some online leaderboards/ghosts/SA2-06 (all the games in between included) multiplayer/coop (believe it or not) would DEFINITELY help.

As for the music, Fuelbi, now if you asked someone who plays bad games for Trophies or Achievements, he'd tell you:
"Well, they've got to put SOMETHING to make you play, right?"

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Lol Fuelbi's gone balls-out with his posts now. XD
Don't expect anymore of this in the other threads, I have a reputation to keep you know :p

By the way, new trailer up on IGN. Includes some new footage of Seaside Hill, Chemical Plant, and Spagonia. And you see both Tails at the end.
Man, that Spagonia is looking sexy. I mean the new drift makes that level looking sexy since he's spinning now

Personally, I'd love to play as multiple characters in SG. I mean, it'd be a change of pace from the BOOOOOOST spamming that's going on nowadays. Tails would fly (NO DURR) and have separate routes, Knuckles would be more like he was in Adventure 2 where he'd have this one sandbox to work with and then he could find secret routes, except in this game he'd have some sandboxes where he'd have to hunt down switches and the like to progress. Shadow would be nearly identical to Sonic, with the exception that his drift would rely on his shoes' hovering. Amy, I dunno, Sonic but with a hammer, slower, and different routes? And so on...
Especially in the Classic levels. There really shouldn't be any excuse why Knuckles and Tails shouldn't be playable in these levels at the very least, but since SEGA confirmed Sonic is the only playable character, I know that isn't happening

I mean, I loved Adventure/2 for the variety, and even 06 had SOME variety (still didn't fix it). Which is why I want a new Adventure. I mean, everyone loved those, right? Just don't break the camera, voice acting, or glitch up the game so bad and you'd have your glory days back, Sega. And some online leaderboards/ghosts/SA2-06 (all the games in between included) multiplayer/coop (believe it or not) would DEFINITELY help.
Yeah that's pretty true. Especially the mecha suits that they'd use in SA2 and Gamma's gameplay in SA1. For what it was trying to accomplish, it was executed pretty well. Make a combat paced gameplay that doesn't require any actual combat for extended periods of time. Genius

As for the music, Fuelbi, now if you asked someone who plays bad games for Trophies or Achievements, he'd tell you:
"Well, they've got to put SOMETHING to make you play, right?"
Seriously that song makes me want to find 4 moon medals by this point for the end of the game now lol

finalark

SNORLAX
Which reminds me, I want an option where it enables you to have Classic Tails following Classic Sonic around in his levels just like in the old games. I think that'd be pretty sweet when you're running around in Chemical Plant Zone and he'll be killing himself in the water just like old times :awesome:
I second this.

How can anybody like this game holy crap. I only know of one friend who actually enjoyed this and I had to show him everything that was wrong with the game for him to still tell me that the game was at least decent. I showed him every bug, every glitch, and even every part of the gameplay that sucked regardless of the glitches or bugs.

Then I just left his room when he said that it was a damn good game. Oh well, I guess that's just his opinion, even if it's a ******** one that has a bunch of evidence to prove otherwise
Yeah, the fact that there's people who like Sonic '06 baffles me. Sure, the cenemiaics were entertaining in a "so-bad-its-good" sort of way. But the game itself was borderline unplayable.

I blame the fact that the fans want Shadow getting laid with Rouge instead of having her one-up Knuckles. It was seriously funny everytime Rouge made fun of Knuckles and he got all pissed off at her.
It made her character more interesting and entertaining. With her a Shadow's partner/pseudo love interest she feels like nothing special.

Which reminds me, literally any moral of the story that they did in SA1 they literally just went back on. Tails could be more independent, but he's still Sonic's useless lackey. Amy could be a strong woman, but instead she's still Sonic's creepy stalker girl. Knuckles... eh well at least he doesn't remind me of Shadow anymore with the whole who the **** am I and why the **** am I here.
Its a shame to because the characters who did get development would have been better off if they had stuck with it. I still say that Tails show shades of being independent but not nearly as much as the ending to his story in Adventure would have you believe. And we've already discussed to hell and back how Amy should be more mature about her feelings for Sonic after Adventure but she still acts like a creeper.

I feel like Knuckles is the only one who stuck with his development, namely that he FINALLY got it through his skull that Robotnick can't be trusted. After Adventure we haven't seen him get tricked since.

It made for an awesome comic though. Sonic the Comic was pretty awesome seeing as who wouldn't love an out of control Super Saiyan Sonic
I grew up reading the American comics, so I have no idea what the UK comics are like. Speaking of which, the American comics are having a tie in with Sonic Generations called Genesis which will end in a reboot for the entire series.

That'd be kinda awesome except I'm not sure if they can pull the plumber part off without any lawsuits from Nintendo, but what do I know I'm just a kid and I have no idea how this copyright stuff works except for the fact that you can't take anybody else's work as your own *shrugs shoulders*
They might be able to as long as they don't mention him by name. I don't know though.

He should also say:

Kid, trust me your fans are going to be the most pickyass little ******** kids ever so just ignore them and keep on running.

Because that's pretty much what I'd tell Classic Sonic if I were in Modern Sonic's shoes
Me too. That, and that SEGA is a sinking ship.

You know all I'm curious for SA3 is how they're going to handle GRAB RINGS GRAB RINGS GRAB RINGS SPEEEEEEED BOOOOOOOOOOOOST GRAB MORE RINGS GRAB MORE RINGS GRAB EVEN MORE RINGS SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST.
I'm guessing that they're either going to stick with that or try to replicate Adventure 1/2's Sonic gameplay. I'd rather stick with the modern game play since they're clearly better at that then they are Adventure game play.

I mean that's already there to stay and I don't mind it because it honestly does give you the impression that Sonic is the fastest thing alive, but for an Adventure game that doesn't work because the point of the Adventure games is to gain momentum which is MUCH harder than just grabbing rings to go faster. It's not like they can just ignore that Sonic can do this especially after making this ability in 2 now 3 straight Sonic games in a row
Again, I think in Adventure 3 (assuming the rumors are true) its going to be like Colors in terms of game play.

Never cared for those. I want to see a Crazy Taxi remake though because that game ate all my quarters in the arcade when I was five :mad:
Shame, because JGR and JSR:F are some of the most original and awesome games I've ever played. And Skies is hands down one of the most absolute best JRPGs ever made IMO. Both games need more love.

But Crazy Taxi is crazy awesome. My friends and I actually call it "Mother****ing Taxi."

yeah, after all the negative reception on that series along with SEGA denying the existence of any game with a score lower than 70% on Metacritic, I'm surprised they'd make another storybook game.
Me too. I really didn't think that Secret Rings and Black Knight were that bad, but most people seem to disagree. I thought for sure that SEGA was going to stop making those.

And why is it that even in every ****ty Sonic game they make it so that at least the music is good. I swear some of these pieces are amazing man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXi0GpOSArw&feature=related I hadn't even heard this one till today because I haven't even gotten to the end of Unleashed yet because the game is gay enough to have me looking for Moon Medals and I'm too lazy to replay levels I don't like like Chu Nan and Shamar
The sun rises every morning, birds sing, and Sonic games have awesome music.

EDIT:

Just checked out the new trailer. Look fantastic and awesome. I like how this game actually feels like a celebration of everything Sonic while Adventure 2 and '06 just felt like SEGA was trying to make it huge by scaling everything up several notches from the previous games.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
[yt]7UIEfxyXWq4[/yt]
New Sonic Generations preview.

Spagonia and Seaside Hill officially confirmed.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, the fact that there's people who like Sonic '06 baffles me. Sure, the cenemiaics were entertaining in a "so-bad-its-good" sort of way. But the game itself was borderline unplayable.
Well I'll never be able to understand the mentality of people more dense than I am :awesome:

It made her character more interesting and entertaining. With her a Shadow's partner/pseudo love interest she feels like nothing special.
Yeah really. Her pissing off Knuckles a large amount of the time they were together always made me lol and when she became Shadow's ***** partner, I honestly didn't feel anything because Shadow is brooding and Rouge is mysterious. There doesn't seem to be this opposite of personalities that sparks much interest in me tbh. At least when Rouge was pissing Knuckles off, she was calm, collected, and she calculated everything that she would do right down to the last detail while Knuckles is a hotheaded ****** who barges into anything without regards for the consequences. Just seeing her making fun of Knuckles already made me feel like they had something more special going on while her and Shadow is... eh

Its a shame to because the characters who did get development would have been better off if they had stuck with it. I still say that Tails show shades of being independent but not nearly as much as the ending to his story in Adventure would have you believe. And we've already discussed to hell and back how Amy should be more mature about her feelings for Sonic after Adventure but she still acts like a creeper.

I feel like Knuckles is the only one who stuck with his development, namely that he FINALLY got it through his skull that Robotnick can't be trusted. After Adventure we haven't seen him get tricked since.
I thought it was after Sonic & Knuckles was that he finally got it through his head that Eggman is a douchebag not after SA1. All his character development seemed to me to what was a prototype of what Shadow's development would later become tbh

I grew up reading the American comics, so I have no idea what the UK comics are like. Speaking of which, the American comics are having a tie in with Sonic Generations called Genesis which will end in a reboot for the entire series.
I never read Sonic the Comic either, but I heard that it's a really good comic series and that there seems to be actual character development in every character from the looks of it

They might be able to as long as they don't mention him by name. I don't know though.
Eh, you're right. As long as he isn't mentioned by name I guess it isn't wrong, and I would suppose that Nintendo would be nice enough to let the plumber comment slide since they WERE rivals at one point and now they seem to be buddies by this stage especially since they have those Mario vs Sonic olympic games things

Which btw was totally not the idea of what I had in mind when I'd fantasize which character was the better one in terms of combat, not sports -.-

Me too. That, and that SEGA is a sinking ship.
more like was if they're doing a good job at patching up the holes in their titanic atm

I'm guessing that they're either going to stick with that or try to replicate Adventure 1/2's Sonic gameplay. I'd rather stick with the modern game play since they're clearly better at that then they are Adventure game play.
I don't know man, the Adventure series is well known for being an actual platformer. I mean Sonic Unleashed and onwards honestly seemed to be more of a rollercoaster with a couple of different routes with emphasis of trying to be the fastest thing alive. I mean I really like that idea, but it just doesn't seem fit for an adventure title you know?

Again, I think in Adventure 3 (assuming the rumors are true) its going to be like Colors in terms of game play.
You know I like that idea of Colors in terms of gameplay. Different abilities could turn sonic into something else or do different things besides the default shields and super duper fast shoes which have been done to death by this point. I mean sure a sonic game isn't a sonic game without those, but some other variation in terms of powerups would be cool too like in Colors

Shame, because JGR and JSR:F are some of the most original and awesome games I've ever played. And Skies is hands down one of the most absolute best JRPGs ever made IMO. Both games need more love.

But Crazy Taxi is crazy awesome. My friends and I actually call it "Mother****ing Taxi."
Eh, I'm not an RPG person. Too much text and it doesn't tend to my short attention span

But I agree on Crazy Taxi. That game was so the **** back when I'd play it in my arcade 3 blocks away. Too bad that they took it out of my arcade just last year though. The machine lasted a good 10 years by the looks of it :/

Me too. I really didn't think that Secret Rings and Black Knight were that bad, but most people seem to disagree. I thought for sure that SEGA was going to stop making those.
While I think that Secret Rings sucked, I honestly do like the direction they were going with the controls. It was them trying to be innovative with them which ultimately failed in execution. Some of those angles were pretty sweet to as well though.

Now Black Knights does not definitely deserve all the flak it gets. I blame it because the game was cursed to be in the same series as Secret Rings. The cutscenes weren't CGI, but I honestly found myself liking the artstyle of the drawings. The games are supposed to take place in the universes of books. If it wasn't drawn out the way they were, I'd actually be pretty upset because it wasn't in the form of a book. The music was also awesome (as always), the visuals were stunning, and the idea of Sonic carrying a sword was actually a pretty good idea. People say that Sonic is too slow carrying the sword but that's because they all never got past the 1st level where it's actually possible to level up Sonic's speed until he doesn't become a tank anymore. I will admit that the controls are a bit wonky, but imo that's more of because of the fact that the Wiimote without WiiMotion+ sucks **** and is super imprecise, not the actual fault of the developers.

The sun rises every morning, birds sing, and Sonic games have awesome music.
Of course

EDIT:

Just checked out the new trailer. Look fantastic and awesome. I like how this game actually feels like a celebration of everything Sonic while Adventure 2 and '06 just felt like SEGA was trying to make it huge by scaling everything up several notches from the previous games.
I love it. Especially Spagonia man. Did you see all those balloons and streamers in Spagonia? That level right there looks more like a Sonic celebration than the rest of the game. I also can't wait to try out the new spin drift on Spagonia especially since it has about 3 or 4 segments where you need to drift in order to get a better time.

And I'm liking the look of that Sonic Heroes level. It's like a "what if the level was actually fast paced instead of the lower paced level we have currently?" thought that always went through my head and I'm liking so far what I'm seeing

In Chemical Plant... eh, nothing I haven't already seen tbh. Not too shabby though

And btw what's the Eggman robot at the end of the vid? I swear to God I recognize him but I can't pin his name for some reason

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah really. Her pissing off Knuckles a large amount of the time they were together always made me lol and when she became Shadow's ***** partner, I honestly didn't feel anything because Shadow is brooding and Rouge is mysterious. There doesn't seem to be this opposite of personalities that sparks much interest in me tbh. At least when Rouge was pissing Knuckles off, she was calm, collected, and she calculated everything that she would do right down to the last detail while Knuckles is a hotheaded ****** who barges into anything without regards for the consequences. Just seeing her making fun of Knuckles already made me feel like they had something more special going on while her and Shadow is... eh
Pretty much. The only reason why she's paired up with Shadow as his partner is because they're both "dark and mysterious" characters. I really don't think they work that well together.

I thought it was after Sonic & Knuckles was that he finally got it through his head that Eggman is a douchebag not after SA1. All his character development seemed to me to what was a prototype of what Shadow's development would later become tbh
You're kind of forgetting about how Eggman tricked Knuckles into fighting Sonic in SA1.

more like was if they're doing a good job at patching up the holes in their titanic atm
Hopefully we'll finally be climbing out of SEGA's second dork age with Generations. If everything goes right Sonic will be back on top, SEGA will stop publishing **** games and they'll promote their franchises outside of Sonic for once.

I don't know man, the Adventure series is well known for being an actual platformer. I mean Sonic Unleashed and onwards honestly seemed to be more of a rollercoaster with a couple of different routes with emphasis of trying to be the fastest thing alive. I mean I really like that idea, but it just doesn't seem fit for an adventure title you know?
I get what you mean, but don't forget that the modern games also have platforming segments.

Eh, I'm not an RPG person. Too much text and it doesn't tend to my short attention span
Understandable.

But I agree on Crazy Taxi. That game was so the **** back when I'd play it in my arcade 3 blocks away. Too bad that they took it out of my arcade just last year though. The machine lasted a good 10 years by the looks of it :/
I've never played Crazy Taxi in an arcade. But I own the first two games on my Dreamcast and to my surprise not only have they aged well but they're still extremely fun to play even to people who didn't grow up with them.

While I think that Secret Rings sucked, I honestly do like the direction they were going with the controls. It was them trying to be innovative with them which ultimately failed in execution. Some of those angles were pretty sweet to as well though.
I kind of see Secret Rings and Black Knight as precursors to modern Sonic. Very speed centered and boost-based. Modern Sonic games feel like a refined version of the Storybook game play.

Black Knight is awesome.
Agree 100%. IMO the reason why it got so much flak is because popular opinion says "you're not supposed to like modern Sonic games." And because of this all critics gave the game a bad score. And honestly, that's probably the only reason why Sonic Adventure got horrible reviews upon re-release. Because lets be honest, if Goldeneye 64 go released it would be hailed as a legendary classic untouched by time because that's what popular opinion is. Despite the fact that the game aged horribly.

Generations Hype
I'm pretty pumped for Generations. The demo was awesome and I can't wait to play the final product.

And btw what's the Eggman robot at the end of the vid? I swear to God I recognize him but I can't pin his name for some reason
He looks familiar to me too but I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Pretty much. The only reason why she's paired up with Shadow as his partner is because they're both "dark and mysterious" characters. I really don't think they work that well together.
Yeah, there honestly isn't that much that leaves the player guessing because they'll either have sex at one point or they'll remain just friends

You're kind of forgetting about how Eggman tricked Knuckles into fighting Sonic in SA1.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that I haven't played SA1 in forever. I thought that was because Knuckles had simply thought it was Sonic's fault and that was it, not because Eggman tricked him lol

Hopefully we'll finally be climbing out of SEGA's second dork age with Generations. If everything goes right Sonic will be back on top, SEGA will stop publishing **** games and they'll promote their franchises outside of Sonic for once.
I hope they do. They have so many good franchises that could do well if they just gave the same amount of attention they're giving Sonic to other franchises like Phantasy Star (never played it but I hear it's really good), NiGHTs, the games you said, and maybe even Streets of Rage (not likely), etc.

I get what you mean, but don't forget that the modern games also have platforming segments.
Yeah but it's not true platforming though and the way that sonic can get uncontrollable sometimes does seem to get in the way of the more platformy parts of the game

I've never played Crazy Taxi in an arcade. But I own the first two games on my Dreamcast and to my surprise not only have they aged well but they're still extremely fun to play even to people who didn't grow up with them.
You really need to try it in an arcade. There's playing with a controller at hand and then there's playing it with an actual gear stick and pedal and brakes. You honestly haven't truly experienced Crazy Taxi unless you've played a machine. All my quarters went to it as well lol because I suck at the game so I'd lose quickly lol

I kind of see Secret Rings and Black Knight as precursors to modern Sonic. Very speed centered and boost-based. Modern Sonic games feel like a refined version of the Storybook game play.
I see what you mean with that, except Black Knight didn't come out until after Unleashed did I think. To me the storybook games is more of SEGA trying out new ways to head the franchise in using them as experiments to see what the public thinks. For example, Rings had parts of 06 incorporated with new styles of game with the whole linear cool angle thing. Black Knight is basically what you get when you merge the Werehog and the Hedgehog levels of Sonic and they actually did it really well.

Not only that, but it lets SEGA try out new styles of art as well with the whole storybook theme and the cool pictures.

Agree 100%. IMO the reason why it got so much flak is because popular opinion says "you're not supposed to like modern Sonic games." And because of this all critics gave the game a bad score. And honestly, that's probably the only reason why Sonic Adventure got horrible reviews upon re-release. Because lets be honest, if Goldeneye 64 go released it would be hailed as a legendary classic untouched by time because that's what popular opinion is. Despite the fact that the game aged horribly.
I agree with everything you said here. I blame the fact along with crappy hardware (WiiMote sucks balls) and that the game just happened to come out in an unfortunate time where Sonic was getting a lot of criticism especially after 06 is that it was rated as a bad game

And yes, I touched GE64, and that game sucks balls imo. It's like trying to play SA1 in this day and age. I'm no way saying that GE64 was a bad game overall, it just aged horribly, considering the even better controls most shooters have nowadays. I'm sure that just like SA1, GE64 was actually really good for it's time and I respect it for that, but I honestly can't pick up GE64 without wanting to kill myself over how bad it is

I'm pretty pumped for Generations. The demo was awesome and I can't wait to play the final product.
I'm telling you, my body is ready for Spagonia to come out. I might actually even try and see if it's possible for me to keep the demo through means just because I love Spagonia so ****ing much

He looks familiar to me too but I can't seem to remember at the moment.
From his look I can tell he's an old Sonic character, but besides that I can't remember who he is. I know he has to be some sort of old character because for the life of me I can't remember him in any new game

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, there honestly isn't that much that leaves the player guessing because they'll either have sex at one point or they'll remain just friends
I doubt we're going to sex in an E-rated franchise.

But we do see bestiality :troll:

I hope they do. They have so many good franchises that could do well if they just gave the same amount of attention they're giving Sonic to other franchises like Phantasy Star (never played it but I hear it's really good), NiGHTs, the games you said, and maybe even Streets of Rage (not likely), etc.
Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming out this year. Its currently in Alpha and we've only seen a teaser and a few screens. From the looks of it PSO2 will be pretty awesome. Hopefully SEGA will actually advertise the damn thing.

You really need to try it in an arcade. There's playing with a controller at hand and then there's playing it with an actual gear stick and pedal and brakes. You honestly haven't truly experienced Crazy Taxi unless you've played a machine. All my quarters went to it as well lol because I suck at the game so I'd lose quickly lol
If I can ever find an arcade machine I'm gonna try it no matter what. I've been wanting to play Crazy Taxi in an arcade for years.

I agree with everything you said here. I blame the fact along with crappy hardware (WiiMote sucks balls) and that the game just happened to come out in an unfortunate time where Sonic was getting a lot of criticism especially after 06 is that it was rated as a bad game
Exactly. Pretty much everything between '06 up until Colors got trashed in reviews. Some games deserve it, other didn't.

And yes, I touched GE64, and that game sucks balls imo. It's like trying to play SA1 in this day and age. I'm no way saying that GE64 was a bad game overall, it just aged horribly, considering the even better controls most shooters have nowadays. I'm sure that just like SA1, GE64 was actually really good for it's time and I respect it for that, but I honestly can't pick up GE64 without wanting to kill myself over how bad it is
Holy hell GE64 is terribad. Yes, I understand its place in gaming history and I respect that. However, as a guy who didn't grow up with at Nintendo 64 I'm going to say that GE64 is an unplayble piece of garbage filled to the brim with outdated and horrid design choices, terrible controls (C-BUTTONS ARE NOT A GOOD SUBSTITUTE FOR A SECOND CONTROL STICK) and some of the worst levels I have ever played in a video game.

The above opinion also applies to about 90% of the games from the PS1/N64/SAT era.

/backontopic

Speaking of SA1, I hope that they really fix it up in the 3DS version. Some ideas:

- Fix the terrible camera. When Generations was announced I revisited SA1 and 2 to get me pumped. The first thing I noticed was that most of my deaths were due to the game's horrid camera.

- Tighten the controls. SA1's controls could best be described as "loose." You nudge the stick even slightly and the next thing you know Sonic is off and nearly uncontrollable. SA2 fixed this, so give SA1 SA2's tighter controls.

- Massive graphical boost. These days the game doesn't look bad, surprisingly. But a shot of modern processing power wouldn't hurt. Also, improve the animations.

- New script with new voice actors. The old VA's and script are a joke.

From his look I can tell he's an old Sonic character, but besides that I can't remember who he is. I know he has to be some sort of old character because for the life of me I can't remember him in any new game
The final boss of StH2. His name escapes me but I'm pretty sure that's him.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The robotic structure, the clawed arms, and the jetpack are all characteristics of the Giant Egg mecha Eggman piloted in the final boss fight in Sonic 2 and Sonic 4.

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Eggrobo, perhaps?

Otherwise it's the Final Boss from Sonic 2.

@finalark: PSO2? HOLY MOTHAFLIPPIN' SMOKES, SERIOUSLY?! YES!!!!!
And what, is SA1 being remade for 3DS? Is it? ...
Man, could someone give me links to all this Gamescom info? I've already watched the EA and Sony Press Conferences, gaming sites.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Eggrobo didn't come equipped with clawed appendages, it attacked with a laser gun instead.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok so we have SA1 coming on 3DS and Mushroom Hill Zone being on Sonic Generations 3DS? I think I have a pretty good mind on what I'm gonna be buying now

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
**** I think I just ****ed myself

And I'm almost done with Unleashed... if only ****ing Eggman land didn't have like 50 segments, takes like 20 of your lives and didn't make you transform every 3 ****ing minutes holy **** this level is horribly horrendously cheap and hard :c

But maaaaaaan, seeing JUST Mushroom Hill Zone makes me want to get a 3DS so I can play that level and that level only. Idc if that's how companies draw you in, it's ****ing Mushroom Hill Zone and I demand to play the level that I was stuck in for the bigger part of my childhood

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So if Mushroom Hill Zone made it in what's the chances of us seeing Classic Knuckles pull the switch on Sonic in this game?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
3DS footage of Mushroom Hill Zone.

This is a MASSIVE improvement from the original demo we saw back at E3. Framerate has improved dramatically, the uncurling mechanic has been removed, momentum physics closely resemble Sonic3&K's, and Sonic's jump and weightiness are a step above the Green Hill gameplay from E3.

I'm really satisfied with this. The 3DS version was going to be the only version of the game I was going to be able to get aside from the still-rumor PC version, so it's great that this version is going along great.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well I just saw 3DS gameplay of both Sonics. While I've fallen in love with Classic Sonic's gameplay, I honestly find myself hating Modern Sonic's gameplay to be Sonic 4. Not that there's a problem with that, but **** that I don't want to play Classic Sonic with a couple of tweaks, I wanted to play a full 3D modern sonic. I mean the 3DS is basically a GC2.5, why the **** wouldn't it be able to do full 3D enviornments like the GC could do with Heroes?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The 3DS just came out, and Generations has been in production since 2008. I'm willing to believe that there is no 3D gameplay in Generations, simply because no one had any idea if it was going to work out. But if the next handheld Sonic does not have 3D gameplay, and the driving point of the next game is not that it's supposed to be a 2D throwback, then there might be an issue.

Also, Modern Sonic gameplay is based off of Rush. Not Sonic 4.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a335912/sonic-generations-preview-gamescom-2011.html

Sonic Generations is Sega's way of ringing in the twentieth anniversary of its iconic mascot. Combining the side-scrolling simplicity of the character's early Mega Drive outings with the intense 3D action of Sonic Unleashed, it's an attempt to please everyone.

The game features old and new incarnations of the spiky speedster, and reworked stages from every era of his history. Digital Spy went hands-on with the title at gamescom 2011 to see whether this combination of old and new is up to speed.

Sega kicked off the preview event with some info on the game's storyline. A "mysterious evil force" has whisked our hero's friends back in time, stranding them at various points across the Sonic timeline.

Naturally, our favorite hedgehog dons his red sneakers and embarks on a rescue mission across several years of gaming history. Running into your past self could theoretically have dire consequences, but that doesn't seem to be the case here as Sonic teams up with his mid-Nineties counterpart without upsetting the space time continuum.

Players will revisit three stages from the Mega Drive era, three from the Dreamcast era, and three from current generation titles, tackling them from both 2D and 3D perspectives.

Something old, something new

Each of the nine environments have been rebuilt "from the ground up", says Sega. Green Hill Zone, with its azure blue skies, lush foliage and detailed backgrounds, has never looked so good.

We played through its first level with classic Sonic and found little had changed in the gameplay stakes. The level design pays homage to original blueprints, and players will have access to the same repertoire of moves as the 16-bit era hedgehog, with some subtle additions.

For the most part, this felt like a loving recreation of old-school values. After sending the end-of-stage signpost whirling and completing the level, we were required to do it all over again with modern Sonic.

However, this isn't as repetitive as it might sound. You won't be treading the same ground from an alternate camera angle. The 3D levels have been reconstructed with the contemporary version of the character in mind, so there'll be plenty of opportunities for rail-grinding and combo moves throughout.

During a hands-off segment of the demo, we were shown a reworked version of Rooftop Run from Sonic Unleashed. Like Green Hill, it was reworked from scratch in both 2D and 3D, despite being a relatively recent addition to the series.

Confetti rains down from the skies like multi-colored rain, and Robotnik's airship looms menacingly in the background. After racing across the quaint cityscape, classic Sonic scaled a Big Ben-esque tower and climbed up the clock hands.

A spin attack performed in the center of the clock face caused it to swing open and collide with Robotnik's airship, enabling the hedgehog to climb on board. The outcome was entirely different when modern Sonic reached this juncture in his version of the stage.

Aided by the power of his boost metre, the contemporary character propelled himself to the highest point on tower and used it as a launch pad.

Hands-on with the 3DS edition

Sonic Generations is also in development for Nintendo 3DS, featuring seven zones - many of which are platform-exclusive - charting the history of the hedgehog's handheld outings. Playing through a scaled down version of the new Green Hill Zone, we found it was entirely different to its home console counterpart.

The depth of field is impressive when the system's 3D dial is cranked up, and while we did notice some considerable lag with the frame rate, presumably this will be addressed later in the development process because this was clearly a work in progress.

Both the home console and handheld versions of Sonic Generations are shaping up well. We approach any 3D Sonic game with a measure of scepticism these days, but the inclusion of classic side-scrolling platforming lured us in.

We soon discovered that the overall experience is a pleasing amalgamation of old-school sensibilities and fresh ideas. Of course, we won't be fully convinced that Sega has exorcised the demons of stinkers like Sonic Heroes and the 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog until we get our hands on the full game.

Sonic Generations will be available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and 3DS in November.

A spin attack performed in the center of the clock face caused it to swing open and collide with Robotnik's airship, enabling the hedgehog to climb on board. The outcome was entirely different when modern Sonic reached this juncture in his version of the stage.
!!!

Flying Battery, perhaps?

Top Bottom