• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Aside from the Super Forms I really don't see it.
A hero who loves to do the things he does (Sonic and his speed, Goku and his martial arts training) and a free spirit is frequently met with opposing forces that want their way with the earth he lives on or completely conflicts with what he stands for (Frieza = rule the universe and blow up the Earth, Eggman = rule the Earth, Cell = destroy the universe, Black Doom = destroy the Earth and use it for sustenance for his forces, Buu = destroy EVERYTHING, Solaris = destroy EVERYTHING). He sometimes uses 7 mystical artifacts dating back to ancient times to aid him in stopping the evil (Chaos Emeralds, Dragon Balls). He is often assisted with allies with troubled pasts (Shadow/Vegeta, Silver/Trunks).

It's pretty parallel with one another.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, I guess so. The mood and feel is really different by there are a ton of parallels. I only feel like that applies from Adventure 2 onward though. Hopefully the newer games will movie away from that.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I've rendered them all individually.

Just ask if you want any.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Aside from the Super Forms I really don't see it.

And DBZ is pretty kiddish already (yes, even the uncut version. For the most part).
Pretty much this

And eh, I don't see a show where a guy keeps blowing people up into smithereens much of a kiddy version, if you ignore all the jokes that are there to liven up the mood :/

A hero who loves to do the things he does (Sonic and his speed, Goku and his martial arts training) and a free spirit is frequently met with opposing forces that want their way with the earth he lives on or completely conflicts with what he stands for (Frieza = rule the universe and blow up the Earth, Eggman = rule the Earth, Cell = destroy the universe, Black Doom = destroy the Earth and use it for sustenance for his forces, Buu = destroy EVERYTHING, Solaris = destroy EVERYTHING). He sometimes uses 7 mystical artifacts dating back to ancient times to aid him in stopping the evil (Chaos Emeralds, Dragon Balls). He is often assisted with allies with troubled pasts (Shadow/Vegeta, Silver/Trunks).

It's pretty parallel with one another.
Except you also forgot how both Goku and Sonic can both become golden versions of themselves with extraordinary powers

And how they both have that really obsessive chick after them (Amy, Chichi)

Yeah, I guess so. The mood and feel is really different by there are a ton of parallels. I only feel like that applies from Adventure 2 onward though. Hopefully the newer games will movie away from that.
I say even back then it sorta applied to Sonic. I mean, the fact that Sonic needs to gather up 7 artifacts to become a Super versions of himself with golden spiked up hair in order to defeat the greater evil already a rip off of DBZ. SA2 onwards kind of just added more to what was already there, but the core essential was already there

EDIT: There's also how Sonic already was care free and happy and never let even Eggman let him down. He even has his lackey that doesn't do **** and everybody hates (Tails/Krillin)

I've rendered them all individually.

Just ask if you want any.
Can I have one where Classic Sonic looks like he's humping the air?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Except you also forgot how both Goku and Sonic can both become golden versions of themselves with extraordinary powers

There's also Knuckles = Tien, forgot about that.

But yeah, Sonic takes a lot of inspiration from DBZ, in more ways than one.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

There's also Knuckles = Tien, forgot about that.

But yeah, Sonic takes a lot of inspiration from DBZ, in more ways than one.
I honestly don't get where you get Tien from except maybe how they both were antagonists turned good.

And then what? Would Werehog be great ape or what? They both come out during the night and they becomes extremely strong and are capable of rampaging through places. They also both have control over their consciousness (or well, if the saiyan gets enough training I guess :/).

Or something like that

finalark

SNORLAX
Pretty much thisAnd eh, I don't see a show where a guy keeps blowing people up into smithereens much of a kiddy version, if you ignore all the jokes that are there to liven up the mood :/
DB was always for kids. The Japanese were just much more lax on violence back when DBZ first came out (these days they're much more uptight about it). And the "kiddified" English version still had the same violence but the blood was all edited out. That, and some of the more gory things like Nail getting his arm ripped off by Freeza. Again, though, in DB Kai even in the Japanese version the gory elements are toned down or removed because DB is for kids. Although its still fun to watch.

As Sonic Storm pointed out, the anime does nothing but make this even more obvious.

And how they both have that really obsessive chick after them (Amy, Chichi)
Except that Chichi doesn't do jack **** after DB. At least Amy has some role in most Sonic stories.

I say even back then it sorta applied to Sonic. I mean, the fact that Sonic needs to gather up 7 artifacts to become a Super versions of himself with golden spiked up hair in order to defeat the greater evil already a rip off of DBZ. SA2 onwards kind of just added more to what was already there, but the core essential was already there
I think back then that was the only real similarity. DB was focused more on the "this guy is evil so kill him" thing while original Sonic had more of a "**** YEAH NATURE!" theme going with it.

EDIT: There's also how Sonic already was care free and happy and never let even Eggman let him down. He even has his lackey that doesn't do **** and everybody hates (Tails/Krillin)
Yeah, but you're also missing that original Sonic was cocky and edgy while Goku was always "FRIENDSHIP IS AWESOME!" Sonic really didn't get Goku's personality until SA2.

That, and Tails and Krillin have very different personalities. And I happen to like Krillin, don't be hatin' bro!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I honestly don't get where you get Tien from except maybe how they both were antagonists turned good.
Knuckles is an older, more mature character duped into thinking that Sonic was a cocky punk who was looking for the Master Emerald so he could steal it. Knuckles is incredibly cocky and confident in his strength, and prefers brutal power over speed most of the time, though he is still capable of running fast. Once he found out that Eggman had tricked him, he defected over to the side of good and matured up. He can be originally seen as a rival to Sonic, until his rivalry watered down around Sonic Adventure 2, at which point Sonic's rivalry with Shadow took notice.

Tien is an older, more mature character who legitimately thinks Goku should die for the murder of Tao Pai Pai. Tien is incredibly cocky and confident in his strength, and prefers brutal power over focused techniques most of the time, though he is still capable of showing enough skill to employ both styles. Upon realizing that his chosen path as an assassin was the wrong one, and that his Master, the Crane Hermit, was a huge ****, he defected over to the side of good and matured up. He can be seen as a rival to Goku, until his rivalry watered down around the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, at which point Goku's rivalry with Piccolo, and eventually Vegeta, took notice.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Except that Chichi doesn't do jack **** after DB. At least Amy has some role in most Sonic stories.
man wtf has Amy done lately besides stalk Sonic halfway around the world in Unleashed? They're both really creepy and they're way too annoying both of them. One used to stalk Goku and the other still stalks Goku and something tells me that if Sonic married Amy or something and had kids, Amy would still be the overprotective annoying ***** that Chichi is

That, and Tails and Krillin have very different personalities. And I happen to like Krillin, don't be hatin' bro!
Someone hasn't seen DBZ Abridged :awesome:

Knuckles is an older, more mature character duped into thinking that Sonic was a cocky punk who was looking for the Master Emerald so he could steal it. Knuckles is incredibly cocky and confident in his strength, and prefers brutal power over speed most of the time, though he is still capable of running fast. Once he found out that Eggman had tricked him, he defected over to the side of good and matured up. He can be originally seen as a rival to Sonic, until his rivalry watered down around Sonic Adventure 2, at which point Sonic's rivalry with Shadow took notice.

Tien is an older, more mature character who legitimately thinks Goku should die for the murder of Tao Pai Pai. Tien is incredibly cocky and confident in his strength, and prefers brutal power over focused techniques most of the time, though he is still capable of showing enough skill to employ both styles. Upon realizing that his chosen path as an assassin was the wrong one, and that his Master, the Crane Hermit, was a huge ****, he defected over to the side of good and matured up. He can be seen as a rival to Goku, until his rivalry watered down around the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, at which point Goku's rivalry with Piccolo, and eventually Vegeta, took notice.
damn, I got served

finalark

SNORLAX
man wtf has Amy done lately besides stalk Sonic halfway around the world in Unleashed? They're both really creepy and they're way too annoying both of them. One used to stalk Goku and the other still stalks Goku and something tells me that if Sonic married Amy or something and had kids, Amy would still be the overprotective annoying ***** that Chichi is
Eh, good point in that Amy doesn't do anything. At least she shows up unlike Chichi who's basically just at the start of every arc.

Someone hasn't seen DBZ Abridged :awesome:
What's Krillin's owned count at right now? 17?

And I still think they have different personalities. Plus there's the way that Sonic treated Tails at first comped to Goku. Sonic basically treated Tails like he's nothing at first if you read the manual for Sonic 2 while Goku at least was friend and had respect for Krillin.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Knuckles is piccalo.

Considering the Echidna's part in Sonic's adventure.

An ancient, powerful people that created the Chaos emeralds.

Like how Piccolo's people created the dragon Balls

Don't know where you could have gotten Tien from

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I was going off of Knuckles's original conception in Sonic 3, which is more similar to Tien's conception than Piccolo's to me. Having the Piccolo-esque backstory came around in Sonic Adventure, so it's possible that such a history was added in places for Knuckles inbetween games.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was going off of Knuckles's original conception in Sonic 3, which is more similar to Tien's conception than Piccolo's to me. Having the Piccolo-esque backstory came around in Sonic Adventure, so it's possible that such a history was added in places for Knuckles inbetween games.
Knuckles backstory was added early on.

He was the guardian of the chaos emeralds in his first appearance. On Angel Island.

It may have been fleshed out in Sonic's adventure, but it was already set up.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Oh yeah, forgot about the manual.

Eh, Knuckles = cocky Tien + psycho badass DB Piccolo then :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I also read the comics back than, I never owned a Genesis but I played Sonic every chance I had. Watched the shows on TV as well

A lot of my impression of knuckles came from the comics, which I collected sporadically...

finalark

SNORLAX
To add to the "Knuckles = Piccolo" argument both characters were originally villains who later became heroes. Pretty basic but worth mentioning.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
To add to the "Knuckles = Piccolo" argument both characters were originally villains who later became heroes. Pretty basic but worth mentioning.
That's pretty much everybody that Goku has ever met though. Krillin was a douche, yamcha was a thief, tien was a student under Tao or something, piccolo was a demon, oolong was also a feared demon or something (even if he was a fail one :/), I'm not sure about launch, Bulma was originally just using Goku to get his dragonball, vegeta worked for Frieza and intended to kill Goku, fat Buu was going to destroy the world but became good, kid Buu became good (if uub counts), etc.

Saying that knuckles was an ex villain, he might as well fit any of those characters with those precedents lol

And man krillin is fail lol. He literally was useless for the entire first half of the Buu saga, he was too worried about his romantic life in the cell saga, krillin nearly died like 5 times in the saiyan saga, and krillin finally became useless in the last half of the frieza saga. He never does **** and so doesn't tails. They'd literally be perfect for faculties considering how fail they both are

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's pretty much everybody that Goku has ever met though. Neil ing was a douche, yamcha was a thief, tien was a student under Tao or something, piccolo was a demon, oolong was also a feared demon or something (even if he was a fail one :/), I'm not sure about launch, Bulma was originally just using Goku to get his dragonball, vegeta worked for Frieza and intended to kill Goku, fat Buu was going to destroy the world but became good, kid Buu became good (if uub counts), etc.

Saying that knuckles was an ex villain, he might as well fit any of those characters with those precedents lol

And man krillin is fail lol. He literally was useless for the entire first half of the Buu saga, he was too worried about his romantic life in the cell saga, krillin nearly died like 5 times in the saiyan saga, and krillin finally became useless in the last half of the frieza saga. He never does **** and so doesn't tails. They'd literally be perfect for faculties considering how fail they both are

Launch's evil half was an escaping convict that picked up a ride with Goku to get away from the law

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Alrighty. RENDER TIME.

Classic Super Sonic

Modern Super Sonic

Enjoy!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Alrighty. RENDER TIME.

Classic Super Sonic

Modern Super Sonic

Enjoy!
Damn, def saving one of these thanks. And for some reason Classic Super Sonic looks A LOT more brighter than Modern Super Sonic lol

And am I the only one who thinks that the way you can trick the boost gauge off the charts is absurdly broken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4TLfXt4Ys

Seriously, he only tricked like 3 times during the level and he was already set for the entire stage

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Damn, def saving one of these thanks. And for some reason Classic Super Sonic looks A LOT more brighter than Modern Super Sonic lol

And am I the only one who thinks that the way you can trick the boost gauge off the charts is absurdly broken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4TLfXt4Ys

Seriously, he only tricked like 3 times during the level and he was already set for the entire stage
That's because he IS. Ironic, especially considering that Modern Sonic is brighter compared to Classic Sonic's...dullness?

As for the boost gauge trick thing, not really. It needs to be toned down a little, though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is definitely the first Sonic game I'll be getting since the original Sonic's Adventure.

Probably on both the XBOX and 3DS so I can play Sonic on the go

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
This is definitely the first Sonic game I'll be getting since the original Sonic's Adventure.

Probably on both the XBOX and 3DS so I can play Sonic on the go
Damn you've missed out on SA2 man, that **** is the bomb

And is it me or is this the greatest Sonic cutscene thematic whatever I've ever seen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0

Man I had such a fangasm when I saw that. Either that one's the best or it has to be this one :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN0ErzkJfPc

Seriously if they made a high quality Sonic movie I think they'd make a good one based on how good they can work at these custscenes sometimes

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Damn you've missed out on SA2 man, that **** is the bomb

And is it me or is this the greatest Sonic cutscene thematic whatever I've ever seen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0

Man I had such a fangasm when I saw that. Either that one's the best or it has to be this one :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN0ErzkJfPc

Seriously if they made a high quality Sonic movie I think they'd make a good one based on how good they can work at these custscenes sometimes

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEAc2xu1RU&feature=related

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait that movie was actually good?

I heard that it sucked or something.

I also heard that it's DBZish :p
...Good is arbitrary.

I have NEVER seen a Sonic thing that didn't end up a little DBZish

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Sonic OVA is considered as one of the finest game-inspired animations, actually. It kept true to the roots of the franchise pretty well.

Izuka has laid out a path for Sonic after Generations is complete.

Sega producer Takashi Iizuka talks Sonic Generations and what the future holds for the blue hedgehog

For years, Sonic fans have been clamouring for a Sonic title that takes the series back to its roots, with classic 2D side-scrolling and less of this 3D mumbo jumbo.

With the 20th anniversary of Sonic's first outing, it appears that Sega has finally listened, with the upcoming Sonic Generations looking mighty tasty.

Original Sonic Team producer Takashi Iizuka has had a hand in almost every Sonic title since Sonic and Knuckles, but he's taken more of a backseat when it comes to defining what exactly Sonic is.

Now he's back in full control, ready to shift gear and bring Sonic back up to speed. Pocket Gamer sat down with the Sega legend and asked the questions that are on everyone's minds.

How did you choose the levels to bring back from old Sonic games for Sonic Generations?

Everyone on the team has their own personal opinions about which are the best Sonic levels. But we didn't want to make the decision purely internally, so we tried to get the opinions of a wider range of people.

We did a survey internally first of all to get ideas from people on the team - not just the guys in the studio, but anyone in the company. Then we did an online survey, where we asked our users and got their feedback.

Will we see more old levels resurrected after Sonic Generations?

Sonic Generations is a bit of an odd release, as it was made as part of Sonic's anniversary to commemorate his existence. So we took the liberty of putting together classic Sonic and modern Sonic, with their different game mechanics.

It's something that we only allow ourselves this one anniversary title, and we probably won't do something like this in other Sonic titles.

How will the game use the 3DS functionality?

So in the 3DS version of this game, we decided to make all of the levels side-scrolling, even the levels that we picked for modern Sonic.

We wanted to make the best use of the 3D vision, as it's one of the key features of the console. So there's a lot of moments where we use the depth of the stereoscopic 3D to enhance the gameplay.

Some examples - in Green Hill Zone, there are the famous totem poles in the background, and these will fall into the foreground in certain circumstances. Then in Mushroom Hill Zone, you see some moments where Sonic will be rushing through the vines, and these will be thrown about by his speed.

So there are all kinds of different gimmicks and ideas that make use of the 3D vision. But not only that, but we're using other features of the console too, such as StreetPass.

We haven't announced the StreetPass details yet, but you'll be able to interact with other Sonic Generations players and exchange certain elements of data.

How do you feel about the 3DS? Do you see yourself making more games for it in the future?

The best part of the 3DS is obviously, as the name shows, the 3D view, and the fact that it is made available for everyone, so you don't need to buy special equipment.

With the console version of Sonic Generations, we have 3D vision, but players obviously need to have the right equipment to enjoy it.

That's really the best thing about the 3DS - and yes, I would like to continue making games for the 3DS.

So do the levels differ between the console and 3DS versions of the game?

Between the console version and the 3DS version, the selection of levels are quite different. The only level that appears in both versions is Green Hill Zone.

The reason is, we wanted to celebrate the anniversary of 20 years of Sonic by including levels from every Sonic title. But obviously, due to size limits, we could only choose a selection of levels.

So when we made our selection, we realised how difficult it was to choose from all the games and all the levels, and it was just not possible to select so few of them.

That's when we decided to select different levels for each version of the game. So if you buy both the console and 3DS versions, you get to the see the full vision and scope of the history of Sonic.

Sonic is still hugely popular, but Sonic games of the last several years have been less well received than those from, say, 15 years ago. Why do you think that is?

So originally it was more or less the same team working on all the different Sonic titles, but after a few years, for various reasons, we started to delegate Sonic games to different groups of people.

And everyone in the office has their own idea of what Sonic should be, so we started to see slightly varied, slightly different directions of Sonic games.

I was conscious of this, so I'm now back with full responsibility of all things Sonic. I have control over the direction of not just Sonic Generations, but all the Sonic titles that we will develop in the future.

So I have more control, and hopefully this will provide better appearances for future titles.

What's next for Sonic?

Sonic Generations sort of acts as the end of one period. After Sonic Generations, we will work on new Sonic titles. There's going to be a whole new adventure, of course.

For the digital and mobile space, we have Sonic 4 - Episode 1 is already out, and we've already started creating Episode 2.

We're going to continue to explore the reimaginationing of classic Sonic, but at the same time we will also keep looking into the gaming space around modern Sonic games.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Sonic+Generations/news.asp?c=32963

The article also confirms Generations's release date, November 1st.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, I'm glad to see that SEGA is finally getting its act together by giving someone with competence Sonic's reigns.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up for SA3. Just because he said "there's going to be a whole new adventure" don't necessarily mean that he's referring to Adventure 3. He could just be saying that their planning a new, non-nostalgiarific Sonic game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The most peculiar thing of that article is that Izuka is going to start working with Classic Sonic as a character again. Earlier, it was said that C. Sonic was only being used for this game and will be discarded for M. Sonic afterward.

If this means that the two distinct styles of Sonic gameplay are sanctioned off for each Sonic, I can enjoy that. C. Sonic for the 2D, Genesis style, perhaps Megaman 9-esque games, and M. Sonic for the 3D, Rush, and spinoff games.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I've known about the release date.

But a new Adventure game? Let's hope it isn't a flop like 2006.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Oh.

I guess I misread.

But still, a 3rd Adventure game would be epic.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah it doesn't necessarily mean that there's going to be a new adventure game

That said they're taking a different direction on Sonic after this, and to be frank, I'm actually a little afraid about this. I honestly think that they hit a sweet spot with the current modern gameplay and seeing anything besides that would throw me off a bit. Then again that's probably what people thought after Heroes was announced and again with Unleashed. I just find it a bit scary how the character I grew up with and idolized as my hero has been going through so many changes as of late. I mean he's gone from being a cocky little ***** who's pretty fast into someone who's all about fun and happiness and has become literally the fastest thing in the universe with one of the most impressive graphic engines I've ever seen, right next to the Frostbite engine

It's just so weird to see my hero go through so many changes I guess. I suppose that sounds a little sappy, but eh

EDIT: is it me or does Generations not have a level unique of its own? I mean, it has every level from every Sonic game ever made, and those that don't are most definitely getting nods and hints at in this game, yet there isn't a level for Sonic Generations. Generations is as much of a Sonic game as the other 10 or so that exist and it deserves its own level. I mean, there's literally a lot you could do with this game and the fact that it doesn't get a level to play around with is weird.

Also, if Classic Sonic gets playable in Modern Sonic levels, I think that MIGHT just be our next adventure title, or at least as close are we're going to get to one in a while. Literally SA3 is simply a gem that SEGA doesn't want to break out just yet because they know how much we'd eat it up and they're going to wait until they bomb Sonic up so bad (and I mean worse than 06 bad) that they just HAVE to bring it out in order to escape the spiral.

And 06 doesn't even count as a SA game. That piece of **** has even more bugs than the original SA1 and is even more annoying and harder to play

EDIT2:

Also, wouldn't it be cool if they had some Sonic games that could be playable on this game like a Sonic Mega Collection thing? By getting different achievements and accomplishments, they could make it so that a different Sonic game unlocks every time, all the good ones (or obscure ones w/e) being extremely hard to unlock giving more replayability to this game and appeasing A LOT of fans. There's literally so much stuff that you can do with this game it being a celebration of everything Sonic past. You could unlock S1, S2, SCD, S3, S&K, SA1, SA2 (well I doubt it since it's not even DLC on the marketplace :/), S3DB, StF, SR, Flicky, that Tails game, DR.RMBM, etc., I suppose you get the picture. I guess the amount of memory for all that stuff to be included would be staggering, but if they could somehow pull that off, the fans would love SEGA forever and with that sort of thing in the game, that'd be enough to make a giant jump outside of the whole they've dug themselves into.

Also, what are the chances of putting Sonic's SOAP shoes back on in this game, or at the very least making it a skin DLC of sorts? I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to use Sonic's SOAP shoes. It only makes sense to be playing as modern sonic with those shoes on for me. Like seriously I'd eat up that DLC even if it costed money and made other skins I'm genuinely not interested in

Top Bottom