• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I go to shield cancel my spin dash in the opposite direction, and instead of just a regular turn around, my momentum continues in the opposite direction, similar to the a Wave Bounce. I think its similar to the inputs of the "Bouncing ISDJ," but instead of pressing attack, you shield.
I've seen a lot of variants so it's really hard to read and understand which one you're describing if I'm not seeing it.

I think I know the one you're referring to, and it's known.
I have a question. One thing I see pro Sonics do a lot is come down from they air in a Spin Dash, and then they do a little bounce off the ground as soon as they land. 6WX does it here: https://youtu.be/QC02btZXmSU?t=41s Whenever, I try, I just end up doing the really high, laggier Spin Dash Jump. Is there a trick to just doing the little bounce upon landing? I'd like to know because it's good for mixing up opponents, and not being trapped in the spin for as long.
Oh, I see. Thanks!
Everyone provided a very good explanation for this, but also remember you can do it out of any aerial spin and it can be fast fallen as well.

I watched that match and I'm happy to see 6WX has gotten more technical. That's something I'm striving to accomplish as well. Saw some good use of ISDJ and fancier SDSCs.

:093:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I've seen a lot of variants so it's really hard to read and understand which one you're describing if I'm not seeing it.

I think I know the one you're referring to, and it's known.

Everyone provided a very good explanation for this, but also remember you can do it out of any aerial spin and it can be fast fallen as well.

I watched that match and I'm happy to see 6WX has gotten more technical. That's something I'm striving to accomplish as well. Saw some good use of ISDJ and fancier SDSCs.

yeah he def has! played him on anther's a week or so and it was a vaaaast difference from when we played earlier this year. He said he's finally been able to settle down and practice tech/movement.

KeetZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeetZ_AgaiN
3DS FC
1864-9859-2090
What is our worst matchups?
Isn't it basically everyone above us on the teir list?

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
I play Pikachu and have literally never beaten a sonic player, and I can't find any recent VODs of top sonic players (why are there no EVO VODs on YouTube?) without customs, let alone them being beat or outplayed by another top player.

How do I deal with him? What are his weaknesses? I don't get to practice against him, and when I end up playing one they just spin and jump all over the place until they get a grab or a couple hits and then try to time me out. Approaching just gets me slaughtered.

Advice? Can't even beat FG Sonics and now I get salty evey time I see one.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Not sure if any of you know how but was wondering if its been proven possible for us to DI out of robs uair. I fell out of the last hit before but havent been able to replicate it.

Last edited:

KeetZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeetZ_AgaiN
3DS FC
1864-9859-2090
I play Pikachu and have literally never beaten a sonic player, and I can't find any recent VODs of top sonic players (why are there no EVO VODs on YouTube?) without customs, let alone them being beat or outplayed by another top player.

How do I deal with him? What are his weaknesses? I don't get to practice against him, and when I end up playing one they just spin and jump all over the place until they get a grab or a couple hits and then try to time me out. Approaching just gets me slaughtered.
You're in a pretty good spot when you shield again Pikachu, and since Sonic is best played defensively I believe Pika can have a hard time in this mu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Not sure if any of you know how but was wondering if its been proven possible for us to DI out of robs uair. I fell out of the last hit before but havent been able to replicate it.
I think that's more of a miracle than anything else.

I just checked with the ROB boards moderator to figure out what I could learn, but basically, if you get hit by it, you're trapped. Very unlikely to escape it as the hits keep you in for the final hit. He said maybe if it's just the tip (just for a bit) you have a chance of popping out.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Ah alright. Though if that might be the case then Ill try to DI so that they connect with the upper portion of the move in a situation where I think its inescapable. Though do we DI away or behind rob during the final hit of uair? And is it possible to vector dthrow further from rob given it has both vertical and horizontal knockback angles?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ah alright. Though if that might be the case then Ill try to DI so that they connect with the upper portion of the move in a situation where I think its inescapable. Though do we DI away or behind rob during the final hit of uair? And is it possible to vector dthrow further from rob given it has both vertical and horizontal knockback angles?
I was told to hold whichever way he's facing. Dthrows to the left, just hold left and vice versa.

If you're holding away, it eventually stops working at higher percents, or at least makes it harder.

WrathTheHedgehog

Smash Rookie
Random question but why do people use the hammer spindash? It doesn't look at good unless you are fighting a very good projectile user like Mega Man

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
Random question but why do people use the hammer spindash? It doesn't look at good unless you are fighting a very good projectile user like Mega Man
It saddens me talking about it since customs are kinda RIP and this was like my favorite move in the game but things that come to mind:
  • Awkward to punish and can throw people off
  • Gives us another (and often safer) option to recover from both below and above
  • Can punish characters on it's trajectory from a different angle
  • Gives us cool fthrow followups
  • You can stomp people into the ground and connect upsmash which works wonderfully because upsmash is multihit
  • You can cancel the hop at any point which is good for being unpredictable

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Customs are not completely dead yet #believe.

HSD has its uses, but remember is not a punishing/rushdown option anymore, is just a tool to keep yourself unpredictable and psyche-out your opponents.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I've been needing to pick Sonic back up again. I stopped playing him around his big nerf in 1.0.6 and I want some advice on how to use him again. Someone told me that tilts are your best friend when it comes to using fast characters, and that you have to use Sonic's specials sparingly considering how easy they can be to read and shield. Sonic's also my second favorite third-party character with Mega Man being my favorite, and considering that I'm a big Sonic fan, I've been wanting to pick him back up again. Any tips anyone can give me?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What do you guys think of the :4megaman: matchup: The Blue Blur vs The Blue Bomber? I for one think it is even at worst and that we have the slight edge, but I've yet to hear anything from the other side. Saying this as a former Sonic main too.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
What do you guys think of the :4megaman: matchup: The Blue Blur vs The Blue Bomber? I for one think it is even at worst and that we have the slight edge, but I've yet to hear anything from the other side. Saying this as a former Sonic main too.
I'd say they're pretty evenly matched. Sonic has his speed to overwhelm slower characters like Mega Man, and he has insane combo ability. Mega Man however has an advantage with spacing due to his lemons which can negate Sonic's Spin Dash, and Mega Man has decent combo potential as well. Maybe Mega Man might have better stage control than Sonic, but that probably depends more on the player.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I've been needing to pick Sonic back up again. I stopped playing him around his big nerf in 1.0.6 and I want some advice on how to use him again. Someone told me that tilts are your best friend when it comes to using fast characters, and that you have to use Sonic's specials sparingly considering how easy they can be to read and shield. Sonic's also my second favorite third-party character with Mega Man being my favorite, and considering that I'm a big Sonic fan, I've been wanting to pick him back up again. Any tips anyone can give me?
The big thing I would tell you is that you want to play a very safe, punish/read heavy playstyle. Sonic's back throw isn't too good for killing anymore, and his Fsmash kills later, too. With his rather predictable options in the neutral, you want to be able to mix it up and don't approach any more than you have to. Also, learn the different ways that you can pressure shields with Side/Down B. You can hit the shield and jump, go straight through them, stop right in front of or behind them, or jump and up b when you hit the shield. Since the move is telegraphed, you'll want to cycle through these options to make it harder to be punished. As far as tilts go, Ftilt can be a good spacing and punish tool, as it has pretty decent range, damage, and knock back. Dtilt is an uncommon move, but still usable for punishing, since I believe it's faster than Ftilt, and has more range than jab, and it can lead into a jab reset kill set up at higher percents if your opponent misses their tech. Utilt is the least useful of the three, since it has poor range and frame data. It can still be used to pop up opponents who land poorly, though. Potentially a good move to start/continue a juggle. I'm not an amazing Sonic myself, but what I've learned about him so far is that his play revolves around punishes, and using your movement to not be predictable. If any more experienced players want to correct me on anything, or have more to add, that would be great.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
You have to be very aware of BSBS. If you start a spindash in the air with no jumps you can't go offstage with it (even if you touch the ground before going offstage) because you'll die. Also if you're trying to spindash someone who's near the ledge, be aware of if you accidentally slide off the stage before jumping, because then you'll only have one jump left. Finally be careful about your b-reversed up b -> dairs.. I've daired off the stage because of it way too many times.

I'm kind of stating the obvious but you have to be aware of stuff like this at all times or you'll SD.

Last edited:

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
How often do you self destruct? It's the main reason I lose sets :glare:
You'll get better with time. I used to SD a lot in the beginning. Once you start practicing the things @ Damandatwin Damandatwin mentioned, you'll SD less. Still happens some times (most of the times I want to UpB but the stick is not up enough and I end up dashing to my death).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Youre not a true sonic main if youre not sding.

At a certain point, all the top ranked sonic players just become ranked based on how often they sd. Thats the real reason that 6wx is the best sonic. He SDs the least

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
The Sonic Match Up thread will be discussing :4megaman: and :4zelda: starting tommarow if the votes remain the same by then.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Legend foretold of a Sonic who never once SD'd...

That legend was a bunch of BSBS.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I just wish they would acknowledge the existence of BSBS and fix it. That and make the hitbox for fair bigger so that it doesn't whiff 50% of the time from a short hop vs nearly half the cast. I can't begin to explain how annoying it is when I'll go and SH Fair someone only for me to get one or two hits in an deal 1% because for some reason they decided Fair needed to deal 0.8% damage -____-

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Because making it do 13 damage again when you can chain 2-3 of them together most of the time would be stupic and OP.

Also, what makes all of you so sure that not having a double jump after you spindash innthe air was an unintended glitch? It seems pretty intentional to me. Just as a way to keep sonic from having TOO much run away power

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd just fix its hitbox position so opponents can't avoid SHFair by hard landing and then PS it.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Im ok with it dealing 7% just wish it would connect more consistently especially on characters who are our own height. Also the reason I know that its unintentional is because if you start the move from the grpund with side B but then time it so you get the short hop jump from the dash it also takes your jump away same thing if you you it on the grpund and fast fall. The game basically takes your jump away based on how high you travel as if it thinks sonic never really touched the ground.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I just think the fact that moves in this game literally do fractions of damage is horribly stupid.

It's very possible that BSBS is intentional, and also horribly stupid since it's not intuitive at all nor is it taught to you through the game.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I just don't think it's something they intended. I mean it automatically happens when you use Burning Spin dash and jump with the move while it doesn't happen at all when using hammer or normal spin dash and jumping off the ground. And the only times it does occur are when we due the small hop version of either which is what burning automatically does, or if we fast fall.

I could see if you lost your jump no matter if you jumped off with it from the ground once and landed or in the air but for it to activate under such strict circumstances doesn't make sense to me. The fact that only those on this forum know about it also doesn't help with the fact it's remained constant throughout the patches we received in the same manner that it took the dev team literally 3 patches to remove pac man's ability to toss hydrants through the stage (only for that bug to comeback after fixing the trampoline glitch :p).

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Man, I haven't been here in forever. Getting so...... Nostalgic. Nevermind that, So my crew members all hate Sonic, and the one Sonic partner i had is no longer a part of our crew. I'm usually pretty defensive and that probably just adds fuel to the fire. So i was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to be an aggressive Sonic? I'd really appreciate that.

Edit: Why does Sonic have so many ATs? And why do they all have the letters SD in them?

Last edited:

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
Because spin dash is ****ed and there's a lot of weird stuff you can do with it.

Also don't change your playstyle just because your crew members don't like it. If it works it works.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Curious if we would ever see it happen if they removed the ability to shield cancel Spin Dash but gave us back the ability to shield cancel aerial Spin Charge. If that would even be possible would that be something we would want? I personally would say I'd rather have that, considering that aerial spin charge was a great way to approach and deal shield damage while also having the options to grab as a mixup, and overall be used more as an offensive options.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Quick matchup question when playing against Ike:

1) What stages do you prefer?
2) Which stages do you avoid?
3) Is there any part of the matchup that gives you trouble?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Edit: Why does Sonic have so many ATs? And why do they all have the letters SD in them?
Most of those are just specifications for basic techniques but...
Because spin dash is ****ed and there's a lot of weird stuff you can do with it.
... Yeah, there are just a lot of applications for Spin Dash that people who don't have the knowledge of Sonic would never pick up on.
Curious if we would ever see it happen if they removed the ability to shield cancel Spin Dash but gave us back the ability to shield cancel aerial Spin Charge. If that would even be possible would that be something we would want? I personally would say I'd rather have that, considering that aerial spin charge was a great way to approach and deal shield damage while also having the options to grab as a mixup, and overall be used more as an offensive options.
ASCSC is godlike but SDSC is great for movement... Don't make me choose. Just grateful both aren't gone (plus they'd never swap the two and please don't make me start thinking about if they ever made it impossible to shield cancel Side-B).

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Something's been on my mind lately. What do you guys think top Sonics need to do to step up their game? It's generally agreed by just about everyone that Sonic is a strong high tier character. However, there haven't been a lot of strong results lately. Decent ones, but not strong ones. Additionally, I hear high level players talk about how they typically don't have trouble with him thanks to his predictability. So what do you think could help him make a come back at the top level?

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
I think it's about time I learned how to use SDSC; until now I've been neglecting it but it's too good of a mix up to not be using. So I'm wondering about what situations it's most useful in... two that I kind of thought up on my own are:

1) when you're charging SD and the other guy is fairly close holding shield, SDSC, run up and grab.
2) when you're charging SD and the other guy runs at you. if you don't think you have time to let the SD release and you predict the other guy is going to dash attack or something, you could SDSC and shield grab him.

Does anyone more experienced with SDSC have any other situations where it's useful?

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Most of those are just specifications for basic techniques but...

... Yeah, there are just a lot of applications for Spin Dash that people who don't have the knowledge of Sonic would never pick up on.

ASCSC is godlike but SDSC is great for movement... Don't make me choose. Just grateful both aren't gone (plus they'd never swap the two and please don't make me start thinking about if they ever made it impossible to shield cancel Side-B).

There's actually an in game hint about being able to shield cancel spin dash to fake out the oppenent...so it seems its purposeful that Nintendo wants us to mess with our opponents heads ;b

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Apparently Sonic is much higher ranked in Japan than North America. Are there any great Japanese Sonics to watch? I saw and learned a few things from Komorikiri. Anyone else? Thanks!

Luig

Confused
Apparently Sonic is much higher ranked in Japan than North America. Are there any great Japanese Sonics to watch? I saw and learned a few things from Komorikiri. Anyone else? Thanks!
Most of the reason for that is because Japan prefers flat stages that let Sonic run away way too much, and their playstyle isn't as effective against him. So he ends up being top 3 and Weegee is mid tier.

I don't know any good Japanese Sonics to watch. Never really seen any.

TrainerRed27

Smash Rookie
I think it's about time I learned how to use SDSC; until now I've been neglecting it but it's too good of a mix up to not be using. So I'm wondering about what situations it's most useful in... two that I kind of thought up on my own are:

1) when you're charging SD and the other guy is fairly close holding shield, SDSC, run up and grab.
2) when you're charging SD and the other guy runs at you. if you don't think you have time to let the SD release and you predict the other guy is going to dash attack or something, you could SDSC and shield grab him.

Does anyone more experienced with SDSC have any other situations where it's useful?
With SDSC, and the fact that it slides, you can do add more mix ups with your running approach .

Dash --> SD --> Immediately SC --> Grab opponent (Practice yoru spacing).

At the same time, when landing you can feint going for a SD by SC when landing (but just watch out cuz you lose your SDJ).

My experiences, feints and mind games benefit a lot from SDSC. It's been discussed earlier I believe.

Also, any benefits to the Sliding Spin Charge Start really aside from sudden acceleration?

Last edited:
Top Bottom