• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Impressions. Matches, FAQ/Guide - Updated with vids! (34+ matches)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
If I recall correctly, Toon Link's does the same thing on the first use. Only after it is used repeatedly after getting hit repeated times will it stall completely.

Damax

Smash Lord
Yeah, GG and all, Damax. We know about that. Certain characters can't DI it up, and others can't until certain percents. Side-b is situational, as is the invincible tech-chase (not as good as I'd hoped. D: D: D:). Against those characters, I've taken to uthrow uairing, or, if they like to airdodge, uthrow, wait, grab, and then either uthrow or dthrow. Situational.

-Zeal

EDIT: lolololol@telling my friends to learn how to DI. Have you seen some of the stupid **** we've survived?
yeah, I know all that. I just don't read every single post in every topic. I have a university life to live which requires more than 40 hours per week of attention and I work, party and participate in an association of students. I didn't know if you guys knew or not about the easy DIing. I'm just sharing. I have a question though, the forward tilt can down an opponent, only upon diing down, or can it happen on heavy characters that don't Di?

I use side B in the air, it comes out faster as a combo breaker or surprise attack. it can also work well against some characters bad down airs. I THINK Side b as more priority than down B. I haven't really tested.

lolll not at all. It was more of a bad joke than anything else. I love to sound arrogant. ... reminds me of someone haha. Beside Vwins, there's no one I played yet who knew how to DI, a bunch of newbs friend, two of them slightly better but still we 2 stock em easy, so the rest can get 3 stocked easily

ShadowLYger: you can actually ''STALL'' the down air pretty often. If you get sent upwards you can almost always do it once (you'll most likely not move) then do it quickly again and you'll go down slowly but won't touch the ground doing it) I guess sonic as to be a certain %
What I guess happenned there is the marth's throw slowed Sonic's down air.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I dunno, most people don't seem to DI the ftilt against me, simply because it comes out fast.

Side b seems to have more priority, though I'm not sure why.

My US brawl doesn't work on the modded wii. I really wanna play SSE. Sad times.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I also found something quite cool. At some point the Dair does cancel. Especially with the Spring, it has to reach a certain height. The thing is if you don't get a hit like on FD you can grab right there and then.

You could also do Dair, jab grab and up throw to uair.

I think Sonic is mostly going to be about small combos. Unlike Diddy who freaking pwns.

Oh one note the person your fighting with needs to get hit. Which doesn't happen often with the dair lol.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yeah it does, and no, not for a long time, unless it's something I really know how to play. Ike is the only one I should consider writing up right now, maaaaaaaaybe Marth, but I want to wait at least a month.

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
i personally think that a good sonic can own anyother character while a sucky sonic wud get owned by every character (assuming both players are at same skill level)

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Got everything working. Imma shy away from Sonic whenever there's lag, because it's REALLY noticeable with him.

Short, as much as I'd love to agree, that's not going to be metagame, unless we find something gamebreaking. Right now, a Sonic playing an equally skilled Luigi isn't likely to win. Too much priority.

Then again, who knows? Now that the game is finally out in the US, we might find all sorts of stuff together.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Hello all! I'm a more recent 'Sonic mainer'. After purchasing the game, and getting a good amount of playtime in, I found (strangely enough) that Sonic fits my style more than pretty much any other character.

One thing that I noticed, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned at all, is that his Down Air takes on some strange properties when used immediately after being hit.

Now, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I've found that (on occasion) following up with this move right after getting knocked into the air will cause Sonic to perform the kick without plummeting to the ground. In fact, he barely moves at all (if at all). From what I can tell, the attack still functions the same, meaning the same damage and knockback, but he doesn't fly toward the stage.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Damax

Smash Lord
Hello all! I'm a more recent 'Sonic mainer'. After purchasing the game, and getting a good amount of playtime in, I found (strangely enough) that Sonic fits my style more than pretty much any other character.

One thing that I noticed, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned at all, is that his Down Air takes on some strange properties when used immediately after being hit.

Now, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I've found that (on occasion) following up with this move right after getting knocked into the air will cause Sonic to perform the kick without plummeting to the ground. In fact, he barely moves at all (if at all). From what I can tell, the attack still functions the same, meaning the same damage and knockback, but he doesn't fly toward the stage.

Has anyone else experienced this?
yes we all knew, you can even down air twice after being it upwards and you won't plummet toward the ground.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Its all good tho. I freaked out when I first noticed it too. Read the whole thread and you can find tons of new techniques

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Zeal, you should add using dair as an edge guarding move. It works well against people that like to come in at angles that F-smashing and fairing can't get-- plus, people never see it coming.

But I still need to find a reliable way to edge guard Yoshi; his super armor is annoying the piss out of me.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Another more marginally (with emphasis on "marginally") useful thing I've found is that you can turn Sonic when he does his up-b if you tilt the control at an angle. Mainly, the only use I've found for this is when I'm chasing someone off the edge, I dash/jump off the edge, spring-turn so I'm facing the edge and dair-sweetspot.

I guess if you're chasing someone over the top and you want to turn so you can bair them or something that's also a use this could have. While not ground breaking, it's something worth noting.

Of course, if you're going to jump off the edge, with the new game mechanics you can just turn in your dash and jump backwards and you'll travel the exact same distance (here's a video of Mario doing an approaching bair) but I'd like to think that this way saves a frame or two of time and is easier for a beginner to do than dash turning.

On that note, Sonic can make use of this game mechanic quite well because his play style is already very much based on mind games. So if you wanted to, you could dash at someone, hit the jump button, smash the opposite direction with your controller and make a backward jump while facing forward. It's possible to do this without using the jump button and (smash the control stick backwards at a diagonal), but not if you want to add in a fair or short hop it.

It's very confusing to have Sonic running full pelt at you and then having him do a regular jump backwards. Essentially, this is making use of the fact that in transitions from ground to the air you can cancel your momentum and redirect your movement.

Damax

Smash Lord
Interim of Zeal, I know I might sound lifeless but I have tested out the down B and the side B they both do the same damage.

side b does 14 (if you get the two hit and is not charge) 17 if its at maximum charge
down b does 14 (if you get two hit and is not charged) 17 if its at maximum charge? lol I think it was maximum

while not game breaking it seems they are both very useful in their own use.

while at it: the spincharge or spindash have the same priority, the things is while in the air BOTH move have greater priority.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Damax, I don't think that greater priority rule applies in the initial hop the side-b has because I've been hit out of it quite a lot when I experimented with it.

You might have known that but it's good to clarify that in any event.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'll test again soon. I may have accidentally partially charged or something, and was new to the game. I really need to overhaul this thing, so many things need to be fixed.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
He's slowing his knock back momentum.

Although, I think that if you're at that point you can use your homing attack and it will slow down your momentum even more. I haven't tried it myself, but someone posted that it worked and I figure it'd be pretty easy to test and confirm.

Damax

Smash Lord
Damax, I don't think that greater priority rule applies in the initial hop the side-b has because I've been hit out of it quite a lot when I experimented with it.

You might have known that but it's good to clarify that in any event.
yep it does my friend, but I doubt it his MUCH MORE priority, we're talking here from crap priority to normal priority. what I'm not sure if, if one charge more does the priority goes up? the speed increase must definitly help to it though.

I'd test more but its impossible alone or online :( I'm so lonely haha

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I was playing a FFA recently where there was a lot of Pit/Metaknight usage, and I didn't find any problems with priority as far as the charge-b attacks go.

I think I'm starting to lean on it too heavily though; it's preventing me from working on my aerial approaches which I think is a largely undiscussed/unrefined aspect of Sonic's metagame that has a lot of potential.

I made a post a while back in the tactical discussion forum about how characters can cancel their running momentum with a jump. The utility of this is obviously that while running forward you can jump backwards and avoid a potential attack while setting up an attack of your own OR approach with the more commonly known reverse aerial attack (RAR). (The way you do it is run, jump/short hop, immediately smash back on the control)

I think for Sonic this has a lot of implications because
a) he forces enemies to react quickly/pre-emptively when he dashes at them
b) he has b moves that can quickly close the created space and exploit brief openings that other slower characters never could

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
TwinkleToes, for Sonic's side B the effect only lasts during the VERY beginning of the initial hop. But if you time it right he is invincible!!!. I can beat a falcon punch with sonic's side B. it's too good!

also i have never seen anyone post it here but dash -> short hop -> fair approach is also TOO GOOD!

And while I am at it I am gonna call out Zeal for a match. Come fight me, I'm ready!

Damax

Smash Lord
TwinkleToes, for Sonic's side B the effect only lasts during the VERY beginning of the initial hop. But if you time it right he is invincible!!!. I can beat a falcon punch with sonic's side B. it's too good!
quoted for truth, at some time while playing against friend I would wait for them to approach, if they jumped on me I'd only do side b to counter them, it felt like Street fighters 2 where you had to spam projectile and do a shoryuken if they did dare to approach/jump on you.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Lmfao, this is the second time playing Sonic has been compared to SF. I originally played footsie with his amazing tilt game. XD

EDIT: Magno, I'm up for it, but not until at LEAST waaaaaaay later tonight. I have to study for midterms. I'll post in this thread when I'm done, or change my name on MSN to "IS DONE STUDYING, LOLOLOL" or something. PM me your AIM/MSN, in case the boards are down.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hm, that's useful to know. That actually makes Zeal's dash->side-b idea a whole lot better. Does Sonic just move through whatever is in his way and hit it or does using that invincibility knock him out of the spin?

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Hm, that's useful to know. That actually makes Zeal's dash->side-b idea a whole lot better. Does Sonic just move through whatever is in his way and hit it or does using that invincibility knock him out of the spin?
From what I've seen, he pretty much eats through anything and keeps going.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
This is why I need someone to test stuff with :/

How much distance does Sonic have to travel for the invincibility to wear off?
EDIT: Oh, and does charging affect the duration?

Damax

Smash Lord
This is why I need someone to test stuff with :/

How much distance does Sonic have to travel for the invincibility to wear off?
EDIT: Oh, and does charging affect the duration?
distance? I dunno but it is really at the start of the move... I haven't really tried out how long it last, but its really short, and that I'm sure.

good question, I doubt, though charging makes it a bit predictable no? lucky we can jump cancel that charge lol

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I'm not really worried about predictability since there are a few different things you can do with a spin charge.

I guess this means that in contrast to all of Sonic's low priority attacks he has an ultimate priority attack? :p

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Its invincibilty is limited. You aren't going to be going through flame-thrower, or beating the DK Punch. You can beat the Falcon punch, and anything else of that nature, though.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
?

So, technically, it's not invincibility it's just a moment of very high priority. Or do I still not understand it quite right?

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
well I've seen stuuf pass RIGHT through Sonic. Fully charged charge shots and aura balls just whizz by if you time it correctly. i don't see why it wouldn't work against a fully charged DK punch as well.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Because the DK punch stays out for a long time, and you can't hit him out of it. It works against projectiles and falcon punch/whatever else because of two factors. One is invincibility, the other is mobility. By the time the invincibility wears off, you're past the shot that was heading the opposite direction anyway.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I missed this and it was already stated, but does the invincibility only apply to the side-b, or both spin charge moves?

Top Bottom