• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I beat Chibo, Kirinblaze, Denti, LoF Hackoru, and a random this weekend. Lost to Jtails R1 (Who won the tourney lol) and Orion. 9th is ok, but I can do better once I actually practice this game.

:018:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I got second to san at my first tournament. Wedge is he in my city for school but didnt come cus hes focusing on marvel until our next tournament in that.

Im maining sheik and kirby until i find out what im doing for apex

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I hate fighting Sheik so much. By far my least favorite matchup.
Yup.
I beat Chibo, Kirinblaze, Denti, LoF Hackoru, and a random this weekend. Lost to Jtails R1 (Who won the tourney lol) and Orion. 9th is ok, but I can do better once I actually practice this game.

ggs man, didn't get a chance to find ya but congrats! I got to talk to 6WX before I left so I'm glad that we all placed.

I had to play two people that knew the Sonic matchup really well and I didn't really know their characters. For now I'll john and say I still don't know this game but I'm excited to hit the labs again and get matchup experience on lock.

:093:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I hate fighting Sheik so much. By far my least favorite matchup.
I agree. I honestly think that this is Sonics worst matchup. Needles ruin Sonics ground game. Gimping sheik is difficult. Her air moves are better in general. I feel like a cautious approach and proper spacing on tilts is the way to go.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
:sheik: is not his worst matchup. It's even o_O. Our worst matchup is probably :diddy:.

Man it's funny that you say that, 'cause so far I feel that Diddy Kong is one of my easier match-ups so far. Jtails is playing Diddy in this game though, right? So I may need to fight him or another skilled Diddy like that to find out.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, Halberd was legal. It's still legit as hell for Sonic.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I managed to take atleast 2 stocks off a kirby i played(tourney ran 3 stocks :/) at like below 50 on halberd. It was glorious. I have a feeling though it wont remain legal, especially now that sdi is out so once your hit by the laser your dead

Though im so mad i forgot to save my winners, losers, and grand finals matchs they were so hype. Sonic vs pac man is just crazy.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Was there any recorded stream or what not of your games, Joe? :applejack:
Me vs Denti was recorded on Chibo's stream so that'll be uploaded to clashtournaments eventually. I will start labbing probably Tuesday. I just went in blind most every game of smash 4 because I was focusing on PM. You'll enjoy the denti vid. My sets with Chibo, Kirinblaze, Jtails, and Orion were all offstream.
Was halberd legal for you guys like it was for me? We can kill at 45 with uthrow spring uair on that stage
LOL IS THAT GUARANTEED?!? PLEASE SAY YES! I WANT TO DO THIS TO SOMEONE TUESDAY.

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
by the way guys there is most definitely sdi in this game. san got out of all my jabs with kirby and sheik no matter how close to him i was when i started and howquickly i went into the finisher. I could hear him mashing on his controller every time i started the jabs. Mr doom sdi may be gone but sdi still exists

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Regular DI is definitely back too and god I missed it so much yes thank you

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
yea sonic's uthrow to spring uair is guaranteed to KO at like 45-50 on halberd. Brawl blast zones feel like melee small in this game. Just like on delfino our bthrow can KO at 25.

Last edited:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Good stuff to Trent today. We were at Nebulous Gaming 1st Wii U weekly. I managed to win the entire tourney. It was streamed so I will have vids soon.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
So why do you think diddy is sonics worst matchup?

I guess I don't get enough diddy experience.

I also have a general question that maybe someone knows. In training will a CPU get up on the first frame it can after a missed tech from a spike?

Kind of a weird question but I'm curious.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I havent played many diddy's yet, and none of them were particularly good, but I feel that because we can roll over Bananas that it wont be such a hard matchup for us compared to other characters.

Just looking into the future, I think we will be using less SD/SC's in the neutral game because while it's fairly good now, people will begin to learn how to beat out the rolls when they're so telegraphed, as opposed to what most people do at the moment (that being shielding and trying to punish the end of the rolls, which is impossible).

Do you reckon we can get a compendium of which of the two rolls work better in which situations? for example, SD>SC in neutral vs. sheik, mainly because the hop goes over needles.
That's probably a fairly bad example, but we all know both moves have different proporties, hitboxes, damage, etc...Do you think this would be a good idea to make?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Spins suck now. It's so frustrating.
I need to watch videos so I can see how other Sonics are playing. Whatever it is I'm doing just isn't working. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I havent played many diddy's yet, and none of them were particularly good, but I feel that because we can roll over Bananas that it wont be such a hard matchup for us compared to other characters.
It doesn't anymore.

It's infuriating.
Just looking into the future, I think we will be using less SD/SC's in the neutral game because while it's fairly good now, people will begin to learn how to beat out the rolls when they're so telegraphed, as opposed to what most people do at the moment (that being shielding and trying to punish the end of the rolls, which is impossible).
It's times like these where I really miss ASCSC.
Do you reckon we can get a compendium of which of the two rolls work better in which situations? for example, SD>SC in neutral vs. sheik, mainly because the hop goes over needles.
That's probably a fairly bad example, but we all know both moves have different proporties, hitboxes, damage, etc...Do you think this would be a good idea to make?
Not a bad idea, but I feel SideB as a whole is better in most situations. It can eat projectiles, SDH can avoid things (while also still eating stuff) and can be shield canceled/spinshot out of on ground. Overall has less commitment thanks to all of the options out of it. A grounded Down B gives you like... SDR or VSDJ. Really basic.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Spin attacks need to be used as a tool to open someones shield now or punish someone for overusing there shield. I usually approach with ASC and roll off stage so i can jump out of it then either homing attack if they attempt to chase me or land on the ledge and wait for my opponent to drop there shield. I wouldnt say his spin attacks are terrible but they definitely require us to commit more to them when they are used.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I can't really speak for a Sonic/Diddy matchup personally, but I wouldn't think it's so much that the Diddy matchup is inherently difficult because of anything lacking in Sonic's toolset, as much as it is that Diddy's toolset is completely consequence-free against all characters. His UAir is asinine. It KOs far easier than Sonic's for one thing, and his DThrow is arguably the best in the entire game, as it's designed to combo into it (and practically all of his aerials) until the opponent is passed the 100% mark. As much as people like to complain about Sonic being a detrimentally designed high tier contender, Diddy has that crown shared right now. It's not just that he's really good, it's that he's too easy.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dthrow is so free it irks me so bad. And his Uair is godlike. I know I say ours is, but his is truly godlike. Starts combos, combos easily, combos into itself, and kills. Got dang.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
A grounded Down B gives you like... SDR or VSDJ. Really basic.

It reminds me of what little remains of the old Spin Charge. ;_;

... But no, on a serious note, a grounded Spin Charge better retains jump data Vs. ASC. Like, honestly, who had the brilliant idea of sapping Sonic's second jump if he actually uses an ASC even if he didn't already use a second jump? It has taken more stocks from me than I'm willing to admit because I was expecting to be able to doublejump-cancel my Spindash Jump.

I usually approach with ASC and roll off stage so i can jump out of it then either homing attack if they attempt to chase me or land on the ledge and wait for my opponent to drop there shield. I wouldnt say his spin attacks are terrible but they definitely require us to commit more to them when they are used.
And then I see stuff like the bold and I'm just like "wat?" because of my experiences with Sm4sh Sonic's Spins.

I can only hope that none of Brawl's old habits cost me games at the local tournament today. I want to be the king of Vegassmash, and Sonic is actually good enough of a character that there's no excuse this time around.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It reminds me of what little remains of the old Spin Charge. ;_;

... But no, on a serious note, a grounded Spin Charge better retains jump data Vs. ASC. Like, honestly, who had the brilliant idea of sapping Sonic's second jump if he actually uses an ASC even if he didn't already use a second jump? It has taken more stocks from me than I'm willing to admit because I was expecting to be able to doublejump-cancel my Spindash Jump.
Word, there were a couple times the other day that I forgot I didn't have a jump. Fortunately didn't SD but it put me in unfavorable situations...

I should make a graph or something that depicts when you do and don't retain a jump. So dumb.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
The guide has pretty much everything on the BSBS mechanic. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have much of a choice here: either get used to BSBS or stop using Sonic.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So I just KO'd some guy with sideB uair > double jump uair > spring nair.
lol :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I've been using Nair a lot more too. Definitely buffed. I feel like it might come out faster than it used to? Regardless it's a really effective close range GTFO move. Also you can still combo Nair into stuff from the ground.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Nair is such a good landing option, as if it hits even with the weak hit you can combo into bair or uair off it. I've gotten KOs thanks to soft hit nair into full jump bair.

SonicX2k0

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicX2k0
3DS FC
5413-0219-1286
i live stream if anyone wants to watch but i cant post the link till i get to 10 posts lol sorry guys

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I posted this in the video thread.

These are vids I have from stream from Sunday's tournament me and Trent was in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShAlnQ7AX4 Vs. Rosalina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWvAogCI8Q&index=1&list=UUwdVytA5FmjUEUBbc28h9QA Winner's Finals vs. Bowser Jr. (Iggy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqg8srH0zhk Grand Finals vs Megaman/Link

Was a bit sloppy on that Megaman match though x.x. Definitely could have mixed up more but was a bit nervous on stream lol. I did learn a few things on what I need to do and I intend to hone it to perfection for next time.

Last edited:

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
Hey guys so basically I am going to need to know why Sonic and Sheik is pretty much even. My biggest problem here in Louisville is more than likely going to be Judo, aside from choking. Many thanks to you all for helping me. Unless there was a post or a thread I missed on this topic if so I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience and would request that one of you link me the thread or post.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
BT, I'm gonna have to start coming to Nebulous again.

#2ManySonics

I was playing FG last night and spring chased into Uair, but they airdodged. Right afterword I followed their trajectory and Nair'd as the airdodge ended... Killing them.

Nair is amazing.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Nair was decent in brawl. Think I've killed with nairs too, it's so random when it happens.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Nair god buffed pretty nicely in this game. very happy with how it functions. Late-hit combos/techchases are a favourite of mine with it too.

Top Bottom