• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Technically there's a Chao Garden in Sonic Chronicles that's cool in concept (Chao that can be used as power up depending on how they look), but it's interactivity is nonexistent. Too bad it can't be improved upon with Bioware's record of improving sequels, darn Ken Penders.
Oh yeah, forgot about the Chao in Chronicles; guess that's another reason why I hate that game so much.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic's Usmash is so bad.

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its ok, at least its an actual kill move now. i just played brawl a couple days ago, up smash is still amazing compared to what it was.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I just wish Sakurai would give Sonic a buff already. He has pretty much had nothing but nerfs over the course of each of the patches. Yet for some reason despite Ness and Mario having infinitely better back throws than Sonic's pre patch, Sonic gets the nerf hammer while Mario's and Ness's remain unchanged. I will never drop Sonic, but bring back the back throw.

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I think he's fine. While the nerf's did injury us we're still good. He has his problems but nothing jarring. He's still high tier even with the changes. I don't think he'll be anything less than A tier, right behind Mario(Though it seems most in the community share the general opinion Sonic is a few placements above Mario) but that's just me. Unless Sakurai pulls some BS on this last patch like messing with his Smashes again then I'd be upset lol.

Matter of fact, fix his Up Smash. Don't let people fall out of it for one >.>

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Comparatively, in Smash 4, Sonic's Usmash is still really bad. Saying that it at least kills now isn't fair when basically every move in this game can kill. Brawl is a totally different engine. A jab combo can kill you now...

Bottom 6 in knockback, bad start-up and end lag, terrible on block, and still not even safe on hit since there's a chance of them popping out... At least we still have that slight intangibility, I guess?

The only real buff between versions it got was it actually killing early. After the nerf though, it invalidated that completely.

Like, yeah, it has its uses. It can punish airdodges and landings, especially for platform pressure, but still doesn't mean it's good. Everyone likes to say it's good for tech chasing but it's not that great either, honestly. It still relies on a hard read, and if you whiff, you've just committed yourself fully and will be punished.

I get Usmash kills/reads and I like mixing it in, but I very rarely use it as there is usually a better option.

I too miss DACUS and pseudo spikes, lol.

Still not as bad as our Dsmash, I guess.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
DSmash is okay, I think.

The back hitbox is the only one I'm considering, though.
Dsmash is good for covering rolls. That's about all I use it for. Terrible as a KO move or really anything else.

I guess it covers the ledge, but it's not active long enough for me to be able to use it consistently so I'd rather just cover ledge options other ways. Maybe I could practice that more.
Why a split of all things, Sakurai? Lol.
I don't mind the split so much except for the fact that it's basically Fox/Falco.

Why couldn't we have gotten Fox's Usmash instead? lol

I would've kept Brawl Dsmash for Fox Usmash in 4.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
BREAKING NEWS GUYS!! SUPER MARIO BROS Z HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Super Mario Bros Z was my sh** back in the good days of Newgrounds. Waiting for episode 9 was like waiting for Kingdom Hearts III after beating 2 and seeing the secret ending. Those days when thinking Terra, Ven and Aqua were Riku, Sora and Kairi in armor lol. Amiright? No Kingdom Hearts fans? Ok.

Meanwhile, in other news...the moment when you realize you have to do the Eggmanland hot dog stand missions in order to get the platinum for Sonic Unleashed.

Why did Sonic Team think it was a good idea to make the stage unforgivably long? And having to replay the ENTIRE stage multiple runs just to get one challenge done? 9 times in total? Seriously? :'(

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
What I don't understand is why Fox's Dsmash has his legs become intangible but our isn't? Especially when our Dsmash is basically a poor mans versions of Fox's. The move takes twice as long to come out, has only slightly less endlag, has more reach but also needs to be done in a specific direction to even be remotely useful as a KO tool. And while we may have a slight disjoint that gives our Dsmash more overall reach than Fox's due to his legs being intangible the move is still in retrospective safer than our own due to his Dsmash being able to challenge more moves safely without fear of trading.

The sad part is I think that Sonic will never be better than what he is now in Smash 4 in future Smash games. Fox is how he is because of how good he was in Melee. By that I mean the dev team knows how good the character could be and thus Fox a cap as for much the dev team can make him better or worse before he is considered "too good", or "too bad". While Sonic already had that "too bad" threshold understood due to brawl and now I feel that his "too good" threshold will probably forever be considered Smash 4 Sonic before the patches.

Now if Sakurai ever decides to change sonic's moveset and give him the Pit treatment I would only think he would do that if they ended up using Classic Sonic instead of Modern Sonic in future smash games. Given that they physically aren't built the same and Sakurai would be forced to re-imagine the character.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
That Super Mario Bros Z remake first episode... My god... I want to cry. That series was so amazing in my childhood. I cannot believe how amazing that episode was. And how much patreon support Alvin got from the people. Years go past really fast don't they? ;_;

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Now if Sakurai ever decides to change sonic's moveset and give him the Pit treatment I would only think he would do that if they ended up using Classic Sonic instead of Modern Sonic in future smash games. Given that they physically aren't built the same and Sakurai would be forced to re-imagine the character.
Giving Sonic a new and more unique moveset can't be too hard, Sakurai or whoever else makes Smash from here on since Smash4 is done has a ton of original IP work to go on, namely Sonic battle. Just to name a few I'm thinking Sonic can finally have a projectile with his side B, being Sonic Wave. Sonic's Fair could and should be Eagle Kick, a good meteor when sweetspoted. Down Smash could be Sonic Flare, kinda similar to Sheik and Mario? Or just bring back the original one from Brawl, anything but that split lol. Sakurai made Sonic's moveset a bit underwhelming because adding Sonic in Brawl was a last second decision right? He could've changed that in Smash4, guess he was just lazy or thought he was as close to his game counterpart already, just needing a few tweaks here and there.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Not again. I hated the original.
I miss when alvin used to just do saucy stuff. :applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I agree with Craftis that Sonic will probably never be as strong of a character in future installments as he is now.

I guarantee you, if they change anything about Sonic, they'll keep Spin Charge because it's iconic and change Side-B to something else because Spin Dash is just another spin and is "too good". I was actually shocked to see Spin Dash return for Smash 4.

I don't think Classic would ever replace Modern, and I hope he doesn't.

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
Comparatively, in Smash 4, Sonic's Usmash is still really bad. Saying that it at least kills now isn't fair when basically every move in this game can kill. Brawl is a totally different engine. A jab combo can kill you now...

Bottom 6 in knockback, bad start-up and end lag, terrible on block, and still not even safe on hit since there's a chance of them popping out... At least we still have that slight intangibility, I guess?

The only real buff between versions it got was it actually killing early. After the nerf though, it invalidated that completely.

Like, yeah, it has its uses. It can punish airdodges and landings, especially for platform pressure, but still doesn't mean it's good. Everyone likes to say it's good for tech chasing but it's not that great either, honestly. It still relies on a hard read, and if you whiff, you've just committed yourself fully and will be punished.

I get Usmash kills/reads and I like mixing it in, but I very rarely use it as there is usually a better option.

I too miss DACUS and pseudo spikes, lol.

Still not as bad as our Dsmash, I guess.

Wow, Up Smash really sucks.

A shame too, because it's one of Sonic's sexiest kill moves.
What I don't understand is why Fox's Dsmash has his legs become intangible but our isn't? Especially when our Dsmash is basically a poor mans versions of Fox's. The move takes twice as long to come out, has only slightly less endlag, has more reach but also needs to be done in a specific direction to even be remotely useful as a KO tool. And while we may have a slight disjoint that gives our Dsmash more overall reach than Fox's due to his legs being intangible the move is still in retrospective safer than our own due to his Dsmash being able to challenge more moves safely without fear of trading.

The sad part is I think that Sonic will never be better than what he is now in Smash 4 in future Smash games. Fox is how he is because of how good he was in Melee. By that I mean the dev team knows how good the character could be and thus Fox a cap as for much the dev team can make him better or worse before he is considered "too good", or "too bad". While Sonic already had that "too bad" threshold understood due to brawl and now I feel that his "too good" threshold will probably forever be considered Smash 4 Sonic before the patches.

Classic Sonic's design is okay (at least on the non-USA box art) but the Modern Design is so much better.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Why replace Sonic with Classic? Lol, seems kinda pointless. Just add another Sonic rep, then again I'd rather not see another Sonic rep since Sonic is really the only one they need. You never know who might come along in the next Smash if Sakurai doesn't want to do it. The next person could be Sonic biased and make him god tier XD

That's assuming they even decide to add Sonic again, no doubt they would but in case they don't that'd really take my head for a spin. I wouldn't even know who I would main. Probably go back to Kirby, or pick up Mario as the front runner. If they make Palutena good by default in Smash5 I'd probably make her my main.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I agree with Craftis that Sonic will probably never be as strong of a character in future installments as he is now.

I guarantee you, if they change anything about Sonic, they'll keep Spin Charge because it's iconic and change Side-B to something else because Spin Dash is just another spin and is "too good". I was actually shocked to see Spin Dash return for Smash 4.

I don't think Classic would ever replace Modern, and I hope he doesn't.

I agree with this 100%. I love Sonic and I will always be a Sonic main, but I hate the fact that two of his specials are the same thing. To be fair at least they tried something different for a new side b as it resembles Sonic Lost World's spin dash (so I've heard anyways) but can you at least give Sonic the light speed dash? Bounce bracelet? Blue tornado? Skid attack from advance 3? ANYTHING FROM SONIC BATTLE?!?!?!?!?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Everyone talking about a setup that I've been doing since brawl.

Feels bad. :applejack:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Everyone talking about a setup that I've been doing since brawl.

Feels bad. :applejack:
I got it a few times on my friends lol. The one who was always Meta Knight too so it was always sweet justice getting it off XD

Other than that I never bothered attempting it. Wasn't getting much results for me :(

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Half the things that people say they have never seen before atleast coming from sonic are because they never played against the character in brawl or people of a high enough skill level with the character. The only actual "new" setups that we use are ones that originate from the new tools given to him such as dair spike setups or dtilt tech chances.

I remember laughing when people didnt lnow what sonic was doing back when the 3ds version came out when he would do a spin shot or spin dash shield cancel. :p

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Yeah a spin shot was a thing since Brawl, and especially the spin dash cancelling into a shield. Sonic is indeed a mid tier character, but he should be a little higher since a majority of the things you could do in ssb4 (excluding combos) you can do in brawl.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Someone tell me im crazy. Are the hitboxes of our spins improved? Ive been spinning into countless projectiles and either clanking or outright beating them, when they used to beat me.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic should be removed from smash 4 because reasons. Also hi.

Edit: is the Skype group still a thing? Ive been living under a rock for 6 months.

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Not since I was last here haha. Been too busy with work and **** but Christmas is over now so I need to get back into the swing of things. What nerfs have i missed since I've been away? About to fire up smash for the first time in forever. Sonics jab causes a SD now?

:092:

Luig

Confused
Not since I was last here haha. Been too busy with work and **** but Christmas is over now so I need to get back into the swing of things. What nerfs have i missed since I've been away? About to fire up smash for the first time in forever. Sonics jab causes a SD now?

:092:
Hey Ma boi.
Well...
fsmash kbg (106-101)
tech get up attack shield damage (1-10) matches with the rest of the cast
Dair iasa buff
Big usmash nerf

:187:

Last edited:
Top Bottom