• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic shield pressure

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that the sonic discussion thread is sort of dead, so I figured I'd also post this here. Do you guys think there could be any way to create shield pressure with downb? I was thinking maybe off a tech, or simply running up to their shield and pumping downb.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Another good way to start shield pressure is with a sweetspoted nair. If you L cancel it after you hit his shield it is +1 on block, so you are free to do down b, side b or jab, which are sonic's fastest moves.

Last edited:

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
Another good way to start shield pressure is with a sweetspoted nair. If you L cancel it after you hit his shield it is +1 on block, so you are free to do down b, side b or jab, which are sonic's fastest moves.
That's awesome! So would SHFFL'd nair into downb be an effective form of shield pressure? And I'm assuming that since its +1 on block, you have to be frame perfect with your next move? Also, how is sideb used for shield pressure?

GabPR

Smash Lord
If your close enough to your opponent after nair for the hitboxes of down b to hit then it is indeed an effective way to trick your opponent to drop their shields thinking they can counter attack, for them to be punished instead. As for side b, It is especially useful with characters that do not have fast attacks after shields, it gives you enough time to wave dash (preferably behind them) and do another side b or down b.

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
If your close enough to your opponent after nair for the hitboxes of down b to hit then it is indeed an effective way to trick your opponent to drop their shields thinking they can counter attack, for them to be punished instead. As for side b, It is especially useful with characters that do not have fast attacks after shields, it gives you enough time to wave dash (preferably behind them) and do another side b or down b.
Is there enough shield stun on the down b to keep them locked? Or can you buffer a roll?

GabPR

Smash Lord
Is there enough shield stun on the down b to keep them locked? Or can you buffer a roll?
That is entirely dependant on how fast you are at pressing the button. For you see, the hitboxes of charging down b cause 2 frames of shield stun (Thx to Sartron for data) and I believe they hit as fast as the person presses the button (correct me if I am wrong). So if you can press the button faster than 6 frames between presses ( shieldstun plus how long it takes for fox to jump (3 frames) and shine (1 frame I think) frame perfect) then the answer is yes, you can keep an opponent shield locked, if I am not mistaken, and I could be.

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
That is entirely dependant on how fast you are at pressing the button. For you see, the hitboxes of charging down b cause 2 frames of shield stun (Thx to Sartron for data) and I believe they hit as fast as the person presses the button (correct me if I am wrong). So if you can press the button faster than 6 frames between presses ( shieldstun plus how long it takes for fox to jump (3 frames) and shine (1 frame I think) frame perfect) then the answer is yes, you can keep an opponent shield locked, if I am not mistaken, and I could be.
Nice. I saw a match of lazarond v solharath and someone said he could have buffered a roll out of the pressure, and it looked pretty solid to me. Also, didn't sonic used to be able to charge down b forever? That'd be scary.

Edit: here's the gif
http://www.gfycat.com/VelvetyUnimportantJerboa

Last edited:
Top Bottom