• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Techniques

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
before anything I do not have brawl yet.
This is merely a collection of techniques so far that have been discovered by people who actually have the game so I take NO credit what so ever for any of the techniques provided.

Homing stall -Lucky
This works anywhere where there is a ceiling and no wall.
For example on FD if you use the homing attack under the ledge he won't move anywhere at all.
It can be used on Hyrule Temple and Lucky has said he has been able to make it from the bottom to the top of the level using this. Seems a little useless but its an interesting find.

Sonic Stutter Step: The_yoshinator
You dash back and then at the same time smash with the control stick in the opposite direction. So you dash left and smash right. Instead of smashing from the position Sonic is now in, he moves forward during the smash increasing its range.
So far it has been said that the range isn't increased significantly but it has been noted that it can out prioritize a ganandorf when done right.

Dair canceling: (Bugball)
The dair cancels as it touches the ground allowing sonic to instantly follow up with any other attack.Video is below it also showcases how to make sonic turn around in midair allowing youto use a Bair when you otherwise would Fair.
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWcPzbCsDU

Faster Homing attack: (Sonic Orochi)
Press B right after initiating a homing attack and the move will move faster. Not much of a technique but I posted it since not many seem to know of it.

That is all I can remember off the type of my head. I'll go searching among the forums and add as necessary.

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
Can't Bowser and Kirby infinate jump too? Can't Falcon and some others stutter step as well?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I told about the faster Homing Attack first... even though I really thought that pressing B again was common sense with that move, but, oh well... o_O

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sonic wavedash- johnnyBoy.
Homing stall -Lucky
This works anywhere where there is a ceiling and no wall.
Seems a little useless but its an interesting find.

Sonic Stutter Step: The_yoshinator
-the sonic "wavedash" isn't a sonic specific technique, or even a technique at all... any move that has momentum that isn't perpendicular with the ground's surface will continue with some of the momentum upon hitting the ground... so even just landing from a standard jump on a slope will "wavedash"

-the stall is much more. I figured out you can go under some certain stages with it. I mean, it'll be completely illegal, but you can stall indefinitely with it.

-stutter step is also not sonic specific... just FYI

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wait, what?!

Sonic has infinite jumps? Care to elaborate zeal?:hunger:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
-the sonic "wavedash" isn't a sonic specific technique, or even a technique at all... any move that has momentum that isn't perpendicular with the ground's surface will continue with some of the momentum upon hitting the ground... so even just landing from a standard jump on a slope will "wavedash"

-the stall is much more. I figured out you can go under some certain stages with it. I mean, it'll be completely illegal, but you can stall indefinitely with it.

-stutter step is also not sonic specific... just FYI

Hmmm I'll change the topic then ^_^

As for infinite jumps Zeal tell please!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Better to show you later. I've taped a buncha stuff, I just need to find the capture device, then imma upload to youtube. Whooooooooooooo!

Saunic

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anybody noticed it, but I posted a few days ago about the possibility of cancelling the charge of the forward-B with a shield.

Nevertheless, you cannot shield cancel the forward-B if you did it in the air.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
and you also can't sheild cancel it while it's in action.

you can also jump cancel the charge

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I noticed, and made a big deal about it, and cancelling that dash into all sortsa things, it's really useful.

You don't need to cancel it into anything once it's started, do the jump, and start the infinite jumps. Too good. Imma try using it to approach Lucas sometime. Even though it's slow, the little brat isn't half as scary in the air as he is on the ground, so maybe it'll actually do something.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Haha, yeah, I found that earlier. Once I post the matches, you'll see me use it during the course of the match. It's useful for getting into an aerial space ******** fast.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I don't see it being useful in actual combat, only as a "surprise recovery".

However, I can't really say if it would be useful for attacking, since I can't seem to get the timing right at all (I can pull it in like... 10% of the time - and that's in training mode).

I do believe it's a glitch... as it seems that the game thinks Sonic is on the ground, and then he jumps like that (it goes for the same distance as if you'd jump canceled a Spin Charge from the ground).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah... what exactly is happening there? explain please... are they pressing downB and then jumping?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
well you are doing side b but will it work for both? (I prefer using db normally)

Hark21Ball

Smash Cadet
Im looking forward to seeing your videos. With all these odd things do you think they will release a 2nd version to fix things up (like melee)? Or will downloads come through and update.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
they already have.
somethings, like the falco lazer glitch, were patched from the JA version to the NA version.
Odds are more fixes will come out, and everyone will be affected sooner or later.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^Stutter stepping is essentially your forward smash preceded by a quick forward step. The distance you move isn't fantastic, and since you're 100% vulnerable while doing this the only application it has is spacing your attack properly for when your opponent is also defenseless/unprepared.

To do it, simply tap your move stick in the direction you want to go, and smash the c-stick in the same direction right afterwards. If you do it too quickly the smash will cut too far into your stepping space. If you do it too slowly you'll do a dash attack. It should be easy to get the timing down with a few seconds of fooling around in training mode.

I know most people here seem to believe that you need to jam the control stick in the opposite direction, but this is 100% untrue and I actually think you can get slightly more distance from the way I just explained (although we're talking the width of a pikmin here).

Also, you can do an up-smash the same way, just use up on the c-stick instead of left/right. This isn't quite like "Hyphen Smashing" because your sideways momentum is canceled upon smashing up. If you wait too long tap the c-stick, instead of dashing you will do a hyphen smash and you WILL retain the momentum of your dash as you up-smash. The disadvantages of this are probably more situational based than anything, but it's still useful to know.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I know most people here seem to believe that you need to jam the control stick in the opposite direction, but this is 100% untrue and I actually think you can get slightly more distance from the way I just explained (although we're talking the width of a pikmin here).
You're actually talking about something completely different here, judging by the fact that in the "increase the range of sonic's f-smash" thread, the phrase "this is not a stutter-step" appeared a good 20+ times.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lyon, there's not really an established "definition" of what stutter-stepping is as of now, and what I explained to short will essentially give you a result that can be labeled a stutter step. I'm too lazy to name it something else and it would just confuse people even more so why bother?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
well you are doing side b but will it work for both? (I prefer using db normally)
Yes it works for both.
You must jump early and if you plan to whack your opponent with a Bair you are going to have to press back while you are jumping up.

IO didn't include it in the discovery section since I thought everyone knew about it.
Edit: Something odd happened online the other day. I was palying in an FFA and I went agains a captain falcon. CF ledge hogged against me when I fell off the ledge. So I jumped up and right when I was next to him I used my spring and it spiked him down at a sickening speed.

I don't believe it was DI caused because he didn't move at all from the ledge and he would have let go of the edge earlier if that had been the case. Can someone check please? The spring has to touch them right when Sonic ^B's, it can't fall away from him. I would check right now but I can't play until the weekend due to all the school work I have.

VIII Justice

Smash Rookie
Multiple Spring Kick

Just thought I'd throw this in...I came up with this while playing around with Sonic and it's gotten some funny reactions online.

1. Do a stationary up air Spring Jump. (The spring will be planted firmly into the ground but make sure no platforms are between you and the spring as you jump up.)

2. DI back down towards the spring...or simply fall if the angle is right. (Also assuming somebody hasn't initiated airials on you after the spring jump and is knocking you around).

3. When you're about to bounce on the planted spring instead hit it with a down air Homing Kick. Quickly before you go up to high, down air again! You can do several down airs for about 2-3 seconds on top of that spring.

It looks hilarious...and glitchy.

Plus I'm wondering if you get invincibility frames for this because I have some recordings where people tried to Fair me while I was doing the Homing Spring and I just kept going into the Dairs. At other times though...I did get knocked off so It's probably an issue of timing...I can't say. Well this seemed like a good place to post it and I'm not sure if anybody else has seen this before. I have yet to find a video of it on youtube at any rate. So far I can't really say how useful it is in battle seeing as how you'll usually only deal about 8% damage with it...though once I got 2 kicks on a Pikachu for slightly more. But like any technique I'm sure there is potential in it. I've used it to edgeguard mid-range recoveries and as a unique taunt among other things.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Is there some sort of technique I can use to get over Wolf's Laser or similar projectiles? I can't seem to get over laser spam on Eldin's Bridge in particular. Homing attack is too obvious, lasers stop all ground advances, if you spring jump over behind them they can just run and keep the spam going. I was hoping there was a way to make Spin Dash ignore projectiles or something.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Both spindash moves seem to have a few frames (maybe 1/3 of a second?) of projectile immunity, which, if you time it right, may be enough. Since Wolf's blaster fires so slowly and has limited range, you may be able to charge just past Wolf's max range, eat the first blast, and then jump the second since Sonic keeps most if not all of his speed when he spindash jumps.

May not work, but it's a thought. If he keeps laser spamming while you approach, you may be able to homing attack him from the apex of your jump as well.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Just run up and perfect shield all the blasts. Simple as that. He can't grab you after the blaster if you perfect shield, since you have no lag. <3

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, it's been a while, but I thought I'd share this thing I found...

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=AFWAt9K_jY8
going back to this.

I did this a few times already but i hadnt realized wut i did exactly till i saw u're vid. thx. Its actually not that bad of a recovery its fast and it has really long range. The timing is simple too. Just down b once or twice (charges) which has better rate at actually timing it, wait like about less than or to a second. and jump if it helps direct the jump but all u need to input is the jump itself and u're golden, wuts nice about it is that u can spin dash during the jump while u're completing your jump so u can close in real quick or like orochi did in the vid just home.

In recover u can cover a large range horizontally with this and spindash right after or home to ledge, only thing is it travels the way u are facing. Not that great of impact on sonics gameplay but still something to learn.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
This isn't particularly useful. But if there is a match with two Sonics, you can make a ladder of Homing Attacks until one of them dies off of the top of the level. It is really fun when you are bored. I don't have a vid up yet, but my friend did put the replay on an SD card, so I will bug him until he puts it up.

edit: On a level with a solid ceiling (Spear Pillar for example), if your enemy is below you and you jump up to the ceiling and perform a Homing Attack, you will stall on the ceiling (meaning you will hit the ceiling with your attack conticuously as long as you keep doing the move). I am not sure how far the opponent has to be in order for this to stop working, but if he is above you, Sonic will start to move towards the side and eventually go to the above area.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
are you guys going for advanced techs? cause none of these are techniques...

and the dair canceling by bugball isnt even a technique. its just using it so high that the dair move if finished when you hit the ground. and as for any smash game, if you land while not doing an aerial, there is just about no lag (like 4 frames or something, so its negligible).

if u want some kind of actual adv tech though, atleast put shield cancel grabbing on here, its by far sonic's best thing to do in the game and he pretty much relies on it in most situations.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
nahz, but please contribute........lolz

yeh shield cancel grabbing, even though sonics not the only one who can do it. Run, shield for 1 frame, hit a. :/

Top Bottom