• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Fighters

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I got gems collection and I'm trying to get better using tails. I think I'm doing ok with learning combos and stuff but one thing i can't get down is throwing. Sometimes i will press L and tails will do a regular punch, and when I do grab, I usually come short. Are there any good techniques to throwing?

Also I am gonna try to get my friends to play this game too. So far I got one to start playing and he uses bean.
If the opponent is spaced a certain way you will punch instead of grab. You really gotta trap your opponent in a grab if they are good enough. Tails grabs do not have the best range but its does good damage. For Tails I would say practice Flying into Kick combos, oh and dodging into the Punch-Kick. If they fall down, Spindash and then when they fly up do the Aerial Dive kick.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
~This post is copied from a post I made a SRK boards~

I am a bit behind on the guides I wished to be making due to the recent lack of playing against my friends, and knowing I can not trust the CPUs to teach me too much. I havent been able to find many ways to pull off moves effectively the CPUs seem to do them against me pretty well but I still cannot figure out the timing to effectively do them myself so for now all I got is a little piece with one of Tails moves.
--
The Propeller Dash : p:+:k :~ A very interesting, and in many cases useful attack for Tails. Tails starts to fly towards his opponents and can break through their barriers. However the opponent can use the lag time after it to start a combo or grab you. There are ways around this wind down time though. The lag on the move cannot be cancelled out to my knowledge; however you have many ways to ensure the attack makes contact and many ways to make sure you are spaced so you cannot be hit afterwards.
By pressing : p : during the attack you can move slightly to Tail’s left. By pressing :k: during the attack you can move slightly to Tail’s right. By pressing : p:+:k: again it will send him forward again. This can be used to attack a dodging opponent or circle to avoid on coming attacks. If your opponent does not move you cannot circle and can only move slightly to one side or the other but if your opponent dodges you can move around in a circle and fly away leaving his attack opinions limited.
If your opponent stands with his barrier up, press : p :+:k: as you are about to hit the barriers, and press : p :+:k: again right away and you should break his shield and continue to run into him. But if you were just barely able to hit him with the distance of the propeller dash (which is a bit more than the starting distance between characters during the match) then you will not break through. If you know that you are not going to make this distance move start moving to the right with :k:, it will limit your opponents opinions a bit more.
If your opponent back dodges at start up, press to :K: to follow up and hit him, this should work at most distances, sometimes it might need to be pressed twice.
If we forward dodges, it is a bit trickier. I am unable to be completely sure how to do since I am testing all of these with me controlling both characters.

Now, Ive been really loving Tails' Punch-kick ( : p: :k: ) and how fast you can activate a dodge after it. Dodge around into a Punch-kick is a good way to turn yourself from defense to offensive, if they do not land you can spindash ( :d:: p: ). If they do land another dodge to Punch-Kick should keep you on the offensive. If they shield, you can try and throw in a grab right after sometimes too and you usually will have priority with it.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Tier List (still probably way off)
Top Tier:
Espio- (Long Tounge Allows him to Land Chase well and continue combos. Lots of Ways to Deal with Projectile Spamming. Powerful Hyper Mode potential. Has a beautiful approach in his Overhead Chop. Powerful throws and follow ups.)

Bean- (Double Air Bomb add up damage fast, Decent Hyper Mode, fast neutral punch combo, Powerful and useful throws, Powerful kicks. Melee moves are a bit slow.)

High Tier:
Knuckles- (Corner Comboer. Knuckles has good moves to push opponents into corners. Sub-par throw damage but throw is a great set up move. Good damage, good follow ups. Hyper Mode is pretty devistating if used correctly.)

Fang- (Tons of Projectiles, nearly untouchable in hyper mode. Good Land Chases namely Quick Shot, or Super Shot closer to corners. Powerful throws and follow ups. Fast attack tend not to follow. Definitely not the god most people think he is.)

Mid Tier:
Tails- (Fast dodge, Deadly Throws. Has a Unblockable. Lack of Pushing moves.)

Sonic- (Great Barrier Breaker but those moves actually do weak damage if they arent blocked. Decent Neurtal Punch combos and a few good launchers, grabs are decent. All around poor damage minus jab combo, but fast)

Low Tier:
Bark- (Powerful moves. Devistating throws. Good Barrier breaking moves. Lack of Hyper Transformation in Air. Slow, very slow, lacks the ability to crouch.)

Amy- (Slow. Damage isnt too great. Throws arent great and only give set ups in corners. Subpar projectiles. Has some good combos but are hard to perform or can be rolled out of easily except in corners.)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Whoa, Fang dropped own a level...

But it makes sense that Espio is the highest Top Tier, seeing has he has a lot of different moves.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Whoa, Fang dropped own a level...

But it makes sense that Espio is the highest Top Tier, seeing has he has a lot of different moves.
Espio has long combos too @.@

Yes Fang has dropped... really I am happy I dont see him as top anymore since for awhile I thought he may have broke the game, I was noobish.

Amy will probably go up soon... this list was made before I came up with Heads Up! combos.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Espio has long combos too @.@

Yes Fang has dropped... really I am happy I dont see him as top anymore since for awhile I thought he may have broke the game, I was noobish.

Amy will probably go up soon... this list was made before I came up with Heads Up! combos.
Are you not so good with Fang? He's my best character in that game (not to mention one of my favorite Sonic characters overall).

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I am decent with Fang. Cannot do some of the Crazy Hyper Quick shots + Large Shots stuff. : ( I like how its so hard to shoot his double aerial bullets, pretty nice though. He is still pretty good, you can consider Fang and Knuckles tied.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I am decent with Fang. Cannot do some of the Crazy Hyper Quick shots + Large Shots stuff. : ( I like how its so hard to shoot his double aerial bullets, pretty nice though. He is still pretty good, you can consider Fang and Knuckles tied.
Actually, I'm not so good with Knuckles. Oh, heck, I suck with him. I pretty much suck with anyone besides Fang or Sonic... :ohwell:

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Giza (Espio) vs _jFK (Bean) [4/21/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOQL6ql7NOs

Giza (Fang) vs _jFK (Bean) [4/21/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQMz3VL4KKc

Giza (Knuckles) vs _jFK (Sonic) [4/21/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jri4IYnBXVM

NEW VIDEOS! ZOMG! Sorry for the delay.
Sweet BGM for all these fights!

It's kind of a shame Fang lost, but these guys are really good! I can't even compare, or even think of being anywhere REMOTELY as good as these guys!

Team Giza

Smash Lord
_jFK is a bit far behind me, which is obvious if you watch all 29 minutes of video. I dont really have opponents that play as much as me. _jFK only plays when I am around since he does not own the game.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
_jFK is a bit far behind me, which is obvious if you watch all 29 minutes of video. I dont really have opponents that play as much as me. _jFK only plays when I am around since he does not own the game.
That's a real shame...

Really, people should learn more about this game, or at the leat, SEGA should make a sequel to it!

Team Giza

Smash Lord
The game is easy to kick up the basics but its hard to get really good at combo system with land chasing and stuff like that. The catch up system makes sandbagging meaningful so it can get really weird in the more advanced level of play.

BTW UPDATE; Sorry I cannot think stuff out more, the tiers are being a bit unstable. If someone could help it would be great.
-As of 4/30/2007-

Top Tier:
Knuckles- (Corner Comboer. Knuckles has good moves to push opponents into corners. Sub-par throw damage but throw is a great set up move. Good damage, good follow ups. Hyper Mode is pretty devistating since you can continue it into a normal combo easily. Useful kicks and a good dodge.)

Espio- (Long Tounge Allows him to Land Chase well and continue combos. Lots of Ways to Deal with Projectile Spamming. Powerful Hyper Mode potential. Has a beautiful approach in his Overhead Chop. Powerful throws and follow ups.)

High Tier:
Bean- (Double Air Bomb add up damage fast, Decent Hyper Mode, fast neutral punch combo, Powerful and useful throws, Powerful kicks. Melee moves are a bit slow.)

Fang- (Tons of Projectiles, nearly untouchable in hyper mode. Good Land Chases namely Quick Shot, or Super Shot closer to corners. Powerful throws and follow ups. Fast attack tend not to follow. Definitely not the god most people think he is. Has a few unlockables though.)

Mid Tier:
Tails- (Fast dodge, Deadly Throws. Has a Unblockable. Lack of Pushing moves.)

Sonic- (Great Barrier Breaker but those moves actually do weak damage if they arent blocked. Decent Neurtal Punch combos and a few good launchers, grabs are decent. All around poor damage minus jab combo, but fast)

Low Tier:
Bark- (Powerful moves. Devistating throws. Good Barrier breaking moves. Lack of Hyper Transformation in Air. Slow, very slow, lacks the ability to crouch.)

Amy- (Slow. Damage isnt too great for her speed. Throws arent great and only give set ups in corners. Subpar projectiles. Has some good combos but are hard to perform or can be rolled out of easily except in corners.)

Zurad

Smash Cadet
Wow

I've never seen so much commitment to this game before

like, seriously

I have Gems collection, but I've only played this game a few times, and when I did I was just button mashing

It's great to see someone finally trying to play this game at a comeptitive level. A tournament sounds cool and if I were in the California area I'd probably go just for fun, but, well that's obviously not the case. I think it will be a challenge just getting 10 people to show up around San Diego to play this at a competitive level because not many people know of its existance

However, I support your actions, and I have a few suggestions that may help you in creating a small comeptitive scene for the game (which is better than nothing, unless you'd prefer just playing this game by yourself over and over again...)

1. Continue what you're doing here. You are like the new M2King, discovernig all the stats and strats for the game. Already by just doing this you've gotten a few people interested in it, including myself (I plan on trying to implement some of this stuff into my game over the summer)

2. Check out the site in my link. It's pretty much the best site you're going to find for all kinds of sonic game competition. Sonic The Fighters was only recently added to the charts, and as of now, it's only been competed in time attack (I guess who can kill the AI fastest, heh). It's definetly one of the less competed games over there (with only 13 members competing for time) and I can't make a gaurentee that this would work, but it wouldn't hurt to make a topic with all of your findings over there.

I'm willing to bet alot of this info would be useful, and may help to spark competition a bit more. Or perhaps they may know of some techniques and strategies that you don't know (though I really doubt this because the StF community is very small and I don't think they take is as serious as say...competing in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle)

3. This is somewhat in regards to 2., but also planning tournaments as well. Obviously, it would be a lot better to compete in this game against another human then timing to see how fast you can defeat the AI in each level. But of course, it can be hard to find people around the area that are good at this game, let alone even know what it is! I have little to no knowledge about emulation, but I have played against others in some of the classic sonic genesis games online and it's worked fine for the most part.

What I'm basically proposing is that perhaps you could set up online tournaments for sonic the fighters. I've heard of people emulating it before, so I'm assuming it's possible to play it on the computer, but I have no idea what emulator it uses, and if that emulator supports online play, and even if it does, there's no gaurentee that it will run as smooth as the genesis games (which even then sometimes have a little bit of lag). But still something to check into.

This is all I can really offer for the time being, but I would love to see you around The Sonic Center forums and offer your insight

good luck with this dude

EDIT: Also, I realize my post is lots of incoherents sentances and mispellings, but it's late and I'm tired, so excuse the quality of this post please, kthanx

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Thanks for the great reply. I made a account on Sonic Center yesterday, which I had been trying to do for quite a few days now, and I have already took a few Fighters records.

I know its gonna be hard to get enough people to play the game or even know of it. I found one person in my smash community that knows about it and a 3S player that lives a bit far away for continuous (but I guess he beat the hell out of people at Anime Expo).

I've really been trying hard to find new techniques to use and post but I have problems performing some of them so its making it hard to make guides and learn new tricks with certain moves. I will be trying to make an Espio, Amy, and Knuckles guide soon. I hope some of these guides will help make people understand the game more and how to abuse the catch up and combo system.

I heard Nebula can play Sonic Championship with net play. But I don't know where to find a decent dump of the game so far all of the ones I have seen are horrible or at least the emulators dont run them well. I shall be testing it out soon.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Let me know if you find one, as my friends aren't too keen on this game, but I love it to death. Normally I'd be living in Orange County, but right now I'm a poor college student in Santa Cruz, so.. online is probably best ;)

Edit: God dammit now you got me listening to the OST for this game again >_<

JGdoomofsteel

Smash Rookie
The only thing I don't like about Fang is when you have to face the grey colored cloned figure. Its just too difficult

My best character is Sonic, since I already know all of his moves, and in which he's great for beginners

There is a way you can unlock Supersonic. All you have to do is beat the whole story mode as Sonic without losing a single match. Basically, just stale move your way through it. Oh, and watch out for Metal Sonic, so just stale move him. On part 2 of the match with him, all you have to do is use your Super Technique to transform into Super Sonic instead of seeing the stars around your character. Oh, when you get a chance to type your name in the record sheet, the name will show up as Super Sonic instead. Did I mention that you have to do all of this in Very Hard mode.

I'm sure you all know this by now due to when you play this game for the amount of time you have to play it in order to unlock secrets or hints list.

My favorite game has got to be Vectorman 2. Vectorman (the first is still the best though, but I like the second one allitle better).

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Super Sonic I suppose was a decent playable character for single player. I really do wish that I had action replay working so I could try playing as Metal Sonic and see how insanely broken he is in the hands of human player.

The CPU of Fang is fairly decent and can be tough to beat as some characters. The CPUs of Tails, Sonic, and to some extent Bean are also very good (these CPUs actually know how to deal with dodging). I have learned quite a bit about the characters by how the CPUs work in these cases, though I don't know how to abuse Fang's unblockable like they do.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Man, when I first played this game, I got stuck on Bean for HOURS.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Alright. On Sunday played a good amount of matches against my good pal Nwordtim. Unfortunately I was not able to record the matches since I do not have the recording equipment at my house. So until I buy some stuff I won't be able to get video of matches between me and him. Believe me, the matches between me and Nwordtim are much better than the matches between _jFK and I.

Nwordtim is a pretty good Fang player. Hopefully I can get some videos of him up for you, Brawlmatt202. Once I get some videos of it you'll see how Fang can apply pressure and how his unblockable works. The Snipers combos are very annoying since its hard to land out of them and then hes got a good land-chase with his quickshot which seems to do quite a hit of damage for a fast ranged attack.

I would also like to get some videos of my friend, Laughing Otter, playing his Amy. I think that Nwordtim and I are at a bit of a higher level than him, but he has a unique and fairly effective play style. He still cannot perform the Heads Up! combos I've been trying to teach him but meh neither can I so I cannot really blame him.

Meta77

Smash Apprentice
Rocket Metal (had to be unlocked by hack) was a great character. and my god man metal sonic was a hard boss.

Spoilers!! SORRY I COULD NOT GET THE SPOILER BUTTON TO WORK.

In this game, Eggman has built the Death Egg II, along with Metal Sonic. Tails alerts Sonic to this and they plan to fly into space via the Lunar Fox, a spaceship Tails built in an effort to stop it. However, as it is a single seater, only one of them can go and it requires the energy of seven Chaos Emeralds. The two set off in the Tornado to find them, detecting one in Knuckles's possession. Sonic demands that he hands it over, but Knuckles queries as to why Sonic should be the one to go. It's therefore decided that a tournament of sorts will be held to see who has the honour of piloting the Lunar Fox.

If a character defeats all eight opponents, they will go on to face Metal Sonic and Dr. Robotnik (Doctor Eggman in the Japanese version. His North American name, Dr. Robotnik, was misspelled as 'Dr. Robotonic' in that distribution.). However, the player has to defeat Dr. Robotnik within 15 seconds of his stage to get the ending, or otherwise, like Dural from the Virtua Fighter series, the game is still won, though Robotnik wins and the player receives a Game Over instead.

Given the existence of eight Chaos Emeralds rather than the usual seven, the validity of Sonic the Fighters is often disputed, but as there are eight fighters with one Chaos Emerald each, it can be argued that it is really for the sake of the gameplay. Also, Knuckles's Emerald may be the Master Emerald, or when Eggman clones a character he might also copy one of their Emeralds. One of the emeralds may also be fake, as Tails was able to create a phony Chaos Emerald in Sonic Adventure 2.

[edit] Characters

[edit] Playable
Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic uses his Spin Dash and other normal abilities to attack his opponents.
Miles "Tails" Prower - Makes use of his twin tails to fly and fight, giving him a distinct advantage over the other fighters.
Knuckles the Echidna - Knuckles is the most powerful fighter with strong, repetitive punches.
Amy Rose - Also known as Rosy the Rascal, this game was the first time Amy was seen with the Piko Piko Hammer. Amy specializes in defensive abilities being able to deliver super-powerful counter attacks.
Espio the Chameleon - This game marks Espio's second appearance since his first appearance in Knuckles Chaotix. Espio attacks using his chameleon-like abilities, his senses and instincts.
Fang the Sniper - A unique fighter: he can shoot from his Popgun, catching his opponent off guard, but is relatively weak without it.
Bean the Dynamite - Another projectile fighter: his solution for everything is bombs and explosives.
Bark the Polar Bear - A very powerful, yet slow, character who specializes in grabs and short-range abilities.
Super Sonic - Sonic can transform into Super Sonic, the only secret character of the game, during the final match against Metal Sonic and Dr. Robotnik if he successfully defeats all opponents without losing once.

[edit] Cameos
Metal Sonic - The game's "final stage", as Eggman's top robot, he has a wide range of effective moves, such as shooting a laser from the fan vent in his chest.
Dr. Ivo Robotnik - The game's final boss of the game, appearing in a "Bonus Round". Also known as Eggman, this scientist's goal is world domination. His machine is strong, but he's not quite experienced with it.
Clones - Grayscale versions of the eight regular characters that only appear when a character fights his or herself, but they are playable if 2 players use the same character in which case one of the players will have the shadow character. They play the same as their normal counterparts.

[edit] Hidden Characters
These characters are only accessible by hacking. They are in-game characters, but cannot be used if playing normally.

Rocketmetal (AKA Mecha Sonic Model No.29)
Robotnik Robot¹
Alternate Robotnik¹ (seems to be a bit smaller in some fights)
Robotnik in UFO¹
¹These characters share the name "Dr. Eggman"; thus, these names are unofficial. Model data also exists for another character, which is Eggman in a vehicle resembling a walking tank, but the character itself does not exist.

[edit] Other
Honey - a yellow cat-like character with black hair, that never made it to the final version of the game. Little is known about Honey other than she is based on a character of the same name from the Fighting Vipers game, which Sonic the Fighters was based upon.

[edit] Reception
The game saw very limited release in North American arcades, as Sega of America considered the game's portrayal of Sonic and his friends to be too violent, and feared it gave Sonic a negative image. (Yuji Naka however liked the idea.) Nevertheless, a new fighting game was later released years later for Game Boy Advance called Sonic Battle.

A Sega Saturn version of the game was also announced but never released; the game was never ported to home consoles until Sonic Gems Collection, for the GameCube and, in Europe/Japan, the PS2.

Meta77

Smash Apprentice
plus wiki had more stuff that had nothing to do with the game on the page.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Anyway... I thought it would be a good idea to explain whats going down with all this Sonic the Fighters stuff if you happen to be in the San Diego area during Evo West and Comic-con. During Evo West I will be holding a Sonic the Fighters tournament with a $100+ prize. I have not decided whether or not I will make there be an entry fee (sorry if originally I had advertised it as free because that might change because of recent developments). I will also be accepting any (well any reasonable one anyway) proposed money matches for the game. So come on down to Evo West, have some fun, and join the Sonic the Fighters tournament please. You might just go home $100 richer. ;)

Furthermore, I have been looking at the game a lot more because I have a small amount of new competition (which is excellent). I am leaning towards updating the tier list next time I have a lot of time on my hands. I believe that Sonic might be the worst character now in the long run...

Team Giza

Smash Lord
For some reason the site is not allowing me to edit my last post @.@

I will not be able to attend Evo West this year so my tournament there is canceled.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Bump

umm... NEW VIDEOS!
Laughing Otter (Amy) vs Giza (g. Amy) Best of 5 [7/06/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwwZsY59zY

Laughing Otter (Amy) vs Giza (Fang) Set [7/06/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPWePctgtE

Laughing Otter (Amy) vs Giza (Bark) Set [7/06/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gc3eIekVXQ

Laughing Otter (Amy) vs Giza (Knux) Set [7/06/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0mQcyZLV2g

Giza (Espio) vs _jFK (Bean) Set [7/06/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jH9uFbI6so

Laughing Otter (Amy) vs _jFK (Bean) Set [7/06/07]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCS2QGo4mmo

Sorry it has taken me so long to get new ones. Obviously my people and I have improved.

Top Bottom