• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I need help against Peach, i'm being *****, and the Peach MU section isn't complete:urg:
Halp?

Trillion

Smash Ace
I need help against Peach, i'm being *****, and the Peach MU section isn't complete:urg:
Halp?
Play really defensive/evasive. Very much a hit and run style and don't expect to land even two consecutive hits except on rare occasions. Aim for her head with every attack because I think that is where she is most vulnerable.

As for her attacks, I doubt a Peach will use her forward b very often. They already use it sparingly because if she misses she gets punished and against Sonic is practically begging to be punished. Expect to see it about as often as you see Sonic homing attack. They generally use forward smash even less often then we do. Her air game and grab game are good and her first jab is a set up for a grab. Her air game works better on people who are below her to any degree, but is not nearly as good against people above her. Turnips can be used to try to bait you into moving certain ways. If a turnip IS thrown, its best to dodge up and away from Peach otherwise you give her position advantage.

I believe upsmash is her best kill option, so at high percents be looking out for that and be prepared for how to DI that. I know you'll want to DI to the side, but I don't know if either side is better and I'm not entirely certain on SDI.

I can't remember for sure, but I think taking her to battlefield might help because it restricts her turnip and float game. The platforms make it so that she can't throw turnips as far and the platforms also make it harder for her to float aerials, such as her dair, because if you are standing under the two lower ones, then she has to float lower, thus easier for you to reach or higher thus making it easier to avoid.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Her Usmash is powerful but it's too laggy to be reliable. What they should be using to kill you is Fair and Fsmash. Also take her to Yoshi's Island, it's screws up her floating shenanigans somewhat.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Her Usmash is powerful but it's too laggy to be reliable. What they should be using to kill you is Fair and Fsmash. Also take her to Yoshi's Island, it's screws up her floating shenanigans somewhat.

Gah I knew I was forgetting something! Fair! Strangely, I rarely ever see fsmash from Peaches, but maybe it's just that I haven't played enough of them.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Pfff thats if I could ever land a ruddy kill move on you Chis :p

Fair is her main kill move that you really need to watch out for and because priority isn't an issue for Peach in this match up, Bair is another move to be wary of. It won't kill as fast as Fair but its a decent kill move (for Peach anyway)

F Smash is a defensive tool for Peach, I personally use it stutter stepped to try and get people to whiff attacks and land in it. It'll stop Sonic's Bair so be wary of that if you're spacing Bairs

Up Smash shouldn't hit you unless you use Homing Attack or get unlucky with your recovery...which is another reason why Sonic not having auto snap to ledge recovery sucks D:

And Chis is right, Yoshi's Island is a good stage for Sonic vs Peach. The uneven terrain means that she can't Ground Float at all. This pretty much eliminates her most useful options against Sonic which sucks big time

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Here's a matchup question for y'allz.

What do you all feel are some of the best options for getting around/beating Falco's grab game? It leads to soooooooooo much, and out-prioritizes everything. [/oldnews]

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
To start off, camp him until you are at 40% somehow. You're gonna wind up eating it if the falco buffers his cg anyway, so its best to just get the 40% than allow him to get followups out of it and eat 79% or somewhere around there. See if when you're at 0% you can hit at his shield repeatdely with the VERY edge of bair. And it has to be the VERY edge. Otherwise you get grabbed. If they drop their shield at any point, you may be abble to score some hits.
The rest of the time falco's grabs aren't too dangerous. Just try to keep him airborne as much as possible and remember- our grab game can be as much of a ***** to him as his is to us.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I have an interesting tidbit to note that may actually be big news. This may have been mentioned before, but I scrolled through the match up discussion and never saw it. It was a huge help to me after I found out, but ASC beats MK's glide attack. If you are holding forward on your ASC, the glide attack will get canceled by the first ASC hitbox and MK will get hit by the second hitbox. I wasn't recording yesterday, but I managed to do it at least 3 times in one match.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Theres a chance that your asc will go below the mk after it clanks with the g air. I find fair to be much more reliable since its much faster to start and you can rise with it, which makes it more guaranteed.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I have an interesting tidbit to note that may actually be big news. This may have been mentioned before, but I scrolled through the match up discussion and never saw it. It was a huge help to me after I found out, but ASC beats MK's glide attack. If you are holding forward on your ASC, the glide attack will get canceled by the first ASC hitbox and MK will get hit by the second hitbox. I wasn't recording yesterday, but I managed to do it at least 3 times in one match.
Were you in the ustream the other night by any chance?
I mentioned it then too, but I wasn't sure if anyone caught on lol.

Theres a chance that your asc will go below the mk after it clanks with the g air. I find fair to be much more reliable since its much faster to start and you can rise with it, which makes it more guaranteed.
That isn't so bad though..? You can still F-air after it comes out.
Then again, Mk has wtfverticalchange ability when he's gliding =/

Also, randombonuspoint but almost anything Sonic does (in midair) will clank with glide attack (not sure about D-air, cause that's just weird).

...even SDJ.

The only part of MK's up-B you should be afraid of is the starting point. And even then, a spring can hit him out of that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im actually kind of upset that people dont understand fully how this works yet.

MKs glide attack will clank with ANY ATTACK, with ANY CHARACTER all you have to do is put a hitbox out there and time it correctly. nair, dair, jab, up tilt, homing attack, up smash, anything. clanking with it with ground moves will return sonic to neutral stance. clanking with it with aerials will let you finish the aerial, so if you use an aerial or special that has more than one hitbox, the first hitbox will clank with the g air, and the rest of the hits will proceed to hit the metaknight.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Were you in the ustream the other night by any chance?
I mentioned it then too, but I wasn't sure if anyone caught on lol.
Nah, I caught the match after it was over. Funny coincidence I guess.

I don't get much match up exp against MK or Snake or nearly half of the high tier characters. The 5ish other members of my crew mostly play low/mid tiers. So, I have to learn the high tier match ups on Lag-Fi.

But, recently I found out that St. Louis DOES actually have quite a few Brawlers, but almost none of them ever posts in regional zones threads. So tomorrow I'm hoping to hit up a smash fest hosted by MetalMusicMan (dunno how well known he is) and I know people like Legan show up there, so should be good exp.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Nah, I caught the match after it was over. Funny coincidence I guess.

I don't get much match up exp against MK or Snake or nearly half of the high tier characters. The 5ish other members of my crew mostly play low/mid tiers. So, I have to learn the high tier match ups on Lag-Fi.

But, recently I found out that St. Louis DOES actually have quite a few Brawlers, but almost none of them ever posts in regional zones threads. So tomorrow I'm hoping to hit up a smash fest hosted by MetalMusicMan (dunno how well known he is) and I know people like Legan show up there, so should be good exp.
Name searching is fun! I think maybe I talked to you on AiB recently?

If you live near St. Charles, you should definitely stop by my place on Tuesday :) I host every Tuesday from 5pm until around midnight. Feel free to stop by, if you need my address or phone number, send me a PM.

Also, the St. Louis Brawl / Melee players post in the "Poopchat" regional zone "St. Louis Area Discussion" thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92583&page=1034

Trillion

Smash Ace
Name searching is fun! I think maybe I talked to you on AiB recently?

If you live near St. Charles, you should definitely stop by my place on Tuesday :) I host every Tuesday from 5pm until around midnight. Feel free to stop by, if you need my address or phone number, send me a PM.

Also, the St. Louis Brawl / Melee players post in the "Poopchat" regional zone "St. Louis Area Discussion" thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92583&page=1034
lol. Yeah, I talked to you on AiB recently. I'm planning to stop by tomorrow if that's cool. Ahh, so that's where all the St. Louis players are hiding.

Trillion

Smash Ace
On Tuesday, I went to MetalMusicMan's apartment. Played some people there. When I was about to leave Legan caught me and asked for a match. So, I played him. Beat him 2-0. In the middle of the first game he started saying "This guy's better than KID Goggles! I went 2-0 with that trash talker" and then he instructed me to tell KID that. lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
WHOAAAAAAAAAA

THIS *****

WOWOWOWOW.

1. It was definitely NOT 2-0.
2. I definitely beat him game 2 after SDing 5 seconds into my first stock.
3. I TOLD him what stage to counterpick me to. And even then he barely won.

You better tell him not to show to any more tourneys that im at, cus ima hunt him down and make him eat those words.

Trillion

Smash Ace
WHOAAAAAAAAAA

THIS *** GA

WOWOWOWOW.

1. It was definitely NOT 2-0.
2. I definitely beat him game 2 after SDing 5 seconds into my first stock.
3. I TOLD him what stage to counterpick me to. And even then he barely won.

You better tell him not to show to any more tourneys that im at, cus ima hunt him down and make him eat those words.
lol i just thought it was funny.

i played him on Battlefield the first match and I believe I 2 stocked him, then I played him on Smashville and won by a small margin.

i'll tell him when i see him next lol.

Legan

Smash Lord
You both are adorable, 1. Mag you're good lol but dont take those friendly matches too seriously, you havent seen me when moneys on the line and im not sandbagging. Still a good sonic. (Sorry i dont wanna block you from getting your good sonic cred but Im keeping it real)

2. KG really? And you're right i forgot it was 2-1 but i see you've been johning alot about losing to me, all i can say is man up and accept the loss. Id be happy to play you again and please do make me eat those words. Either way you lost to link lol!

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
You both are adorable, 1. Mag you're good lol but dont take those friendly matches too seriously, you havent seen me when moneys on the line and im not sandbagging. Still a good sonic. (Sorry i dont wanna block you from getting your good sonic cred but Im keeping it real)

2. KG really? And you're right i forgot it was 2-1 but i see you've been johning alot about losing to me, all i can say is man up and accept the loss. Id be happy to play you again and please do make me eat those words. Either way you lost to link lol!
You need to come here and get served by the Blue Fury.

Trillion

Smash Ace

lol i know. We were both certainly not at our best, but it was def. fun and I certainly don't mean to be downtalking your Link in any way.

The main reason I brought it up in the match up thread actually was because I wanted to discuss the best way to finish off Link. In the first match, I managed to get ahead and hold my lead just fine. But in the second match you were reading me much better and the match ended up being really close. You started autocancelling every aerial, making sure you were free to move at most times, throwing all kinds of projectiles and just flat out made it nearly impossible to get in with enough time and space to land a fsmash or bair.

I ended up just baiting your projectiles and waiting for opportune moments to run in and get a grab and try to follow it up somehow. (lolz at one of the last grabs where you waited to DI and I landed like 10 pummels). I ended up having to up throw you off the top at 214% for the last kill. It was ********. So, I was wondering if anyone else knew the match up very well if they knew a good way to get it done.

Trillion

Smash Ace
get him offstage and gimp him early?

down/back throw are probably actually better than up throw in this matchup.
I kept getting off down throws near the ledge and trying to follow up with spring gimps or aerial gimps, but I could never pull it off. Legan is like a god with tether saves (DI down past the ledge and hit zair for instant tethering). It was physically impossible to be fast enough to pull off a gimp from that.

I'll look into using back throw more, but in the situation he was camping the sides with all sorts of projectiles making it very hard to be in position to back throw him off the stage.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

He johns about his losses.
By the way KID, where my steak?

I kept getting off down throws near the ledge and trying to follow up with spring gimps or aerial gimps, but I could never pull it off. Legan is like a god with tether saves (DI down past the ledge and hit zair for instant tethering). It was physically impossible to be fast enough to pull off a gimp from that.

I'll look into using back throw more, but in the situation he was camping the sides with all sorts of projectiles making it very hard to be in position to back throw him off the stage.
You ahve to kill Link early or he will start pulling a snake.
Do NOT Dthrow.
i hope he techs it and beats you down for it.
Bthrow is a better alternative to Dthrow.
At least then he cant just DI down for the tether save as easily.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
He johns about his losses.
By the way KID, where my steak?

Do NOT Dthrow.
Link can't do anything to you from a tech, and if I recall/did my analysis correctly you get an advantage on him for even attempting it, though I'm happy if it's just a reset.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Do NOT Dthrow.

None of the St. Louis area's smashers know how to tech the down throw. So, until the learn it, I'm gonna abuse that sucker lol.

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
yeah exactly lol, if he techs it, just re-grab him :)
Time for a section of Good Idea Bad Idea.

Good Idea: Teching out of Ice Climber's/Dee's chain-grab infinite and counter attack (it's possible if they're sloppy...or you're screwed; Dee's is actually more of a miracle in truth...Hey, it's better than not trying anything)

Bad Idea: Teching out of Sonic's DGrab and thereby possibly resulting in a Chain-Grab

...Eh, it was more of a funny thought going through my mind for a bit. Go ahead, start flaming me...

Browny

Smash Hater
Characters with fast jabs, yes. Links fastest move is his jab on frame 6 I believe, which is too slow. Grab armour will mean sonic will simply take the damage from 1 hit and re-grab him, thats provided the jab is even quick enough to beat the grab at all.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Characters with fast jabs, yes. Links fastest move is his jab on frame 6 I believe, which is too slow. Grab armour will mean sonic will simply take the damage from 1 hit and re-grab him, thats provided the jab is even quick enough to beat the grab at all.
It isn't.

10tooslows.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Only 1 or 2 characters are at a frame disadvantage big enough to be grabbed every time though. Characters with slow movesets can still spotdodge.

So teching, then spotdodging/rolling is better than being tossed offstage.

Top Bottom