• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
You know.. I hate sonic. I really hate him. I hated that he was in Brawl.

But I know that Sonic fans are true fans, they really like him. I know that Sonic is amazingly popular, with extremely loyal and serious fans.

I know that Sonic being cut would be devastating.

Even as one of Sonic's hardcore haters, I must say: Sonic must come back.

I wish you all the best of luck. And, thankfully, I don't think you'll need it. But another rep is out of the question...Don't even think about it.
This means alot. Thanks, it must have pained you to type that and I give you kudos for doing so

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know.. I hate sonic. I really hate him. I hated that he was in Brawl.

But I know that Sonic fans are true fans, they really like him. I know that Sonic is amazingly popular, with extremely loyal and serious fans.

I know that Sonic being cut would be devastating.

Even as one of Sonic's hardcore haters, I must say: Sonic must come back.

I wish you all the best of luck. And, thankfully, I don't think you'll need it. But another rep is out of the question...Don't even think about it.
That's definitely true. I despise Sonic, I felt bad the day he was announced, and I absolutely hate playing him. However, he should return, if not for the fans' sake, then for the novelty of having the long awaited Mario vs Sonic thing still going, and not just in silly olympic sports. Sonic deserves to be in, as much as I hate to admit it, and if anything he's always fun to annoy people with since he has the most tedious taunts in the game.

Sonic getting cut would make me feel as bad for his fans as I felt for the Geno supporters not getting him in Brawl, simply because they've always been so dedicated. Not that his chances are all that big of being cut though, Nintendo and Sega's current tight partnership really should make it an easy deal to get him in.

SonicMario

Smash Master
We appreciate the both of you of having support for Sonic's return despite your personal dislike of him as a character and/or the franchise. Mostly because as a whole, that means Nintendo and/or Sakurai himself wasn't self-conscience on what characters have been received well the most. And I dare say Sonic's one of, if not the most popular addition to Smash Bros. in the franchise's history. He almost didn't make Brawl, but thanks to intense fan demand they relented and placed Sonic in the game while delaying it a bit. I'm hoping they considered that fact when deciding who's returning from Brawl.

If Sonic's not in SSB4, that's a huge blow not for just Sonic fans. But also means that even popular additions like him could be put to the wayside in future games. I'd like to see any 3rd Party characters that make it into Smash respected just as much as the actual Nintendo characters themselves in the game. And that includes treating the now 3rd Party veterans, as actual Smash Veterans rather then just one-time "guests". If Sonic's not in this game, how are Megaman fans going to feel when a SSB5 rolls around and with the precedent set that Sonic was only in Brawl, Megaman likely would be cut the same way then. Megaman fans should be paying attention to see if Sonic's here to stay, because if the only character ever in the Franchise's history to actually delay a game in order to include him does not return. What does that say about Megaman's chances of staying for good? It might even make Mega Man being included in SSB4 bittersweet for those fans, because it seems like it'd be a one-game thing.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
My new improved moveset for the Blue Blur:

Neutral Special: Homing Attack. Same as before. It's executed quicker and is faster in air than on ground.
Side Special: Super Peel-Out. He charges up and dashes in the direction he's facing, hitting enemies quickly.
Up Special: Blue Tornado. He does a Spin Dash in the air and spins around, pulling in fighters and items.
Down Special: Spin Dash. He charges and can roll around in a more controllable state than formerly. It is used in air as a Spin Attack, and simply puts him into a ball form and allows him to bounce off foes. So Jigglypuff's Neutral Special on ground, but a damaging footstool jump in air.

His Back Aerial is now the Bounce Attack, bouncing him upwards when he collides with something.
His Side Smash is now the Sonic Boost, where he can turn himself into a projectile, similar to Luigi and Pikachu's Side Specials, except his is less powerful and the damage is only truly powerful when he uses it right near the enemy. The projectile part merely helps him travel.
His Up Aerial is now far more powerful and deals plenty of knockback.

volbound1700

Smash Master
We may not know until the game comes out.

I liked his moveset in Brawl, I think some of his moves could get buffed and spin dash should be mostly uninterruptable unless it is a major move/explosion.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Yeah, I actually liked Sonic enough for him to become my main, but that may be just because I grew up with Sonic and so I was naturally inclined to play as him. That said, he does need a buff, which is totally possible, so people who say Sonic shouldn't return because they didn't like how he played in Brawl are full of horse crap.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sakurai was commenting on Crush 40 the other day, he seems to have liked a few songs, wonder if that will inspire him to bring back Sonic. :D

Anyway, Sonic mains don't cease to surprise me. Was watching a Brawl stream last night, and this Sonic player beat a pretty amazing Olimar. I never thought that would be possible, but dang, he almost cut through those Pikmin defenses like nothing.

There will literally won't be another chance for Sonic, Mario and Mega Man to be in the same game ever again. He needs to come back for SSB4.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sakurai was commenting on Crush 40 the other day, he seems to have liked a few songs, wonder if that will inspire him to bring back Sonic. :D
Or... better yet... That's a clue that he was most likely already put in ;)

(In fact if he wasn't it would be already too late apparently, but that's besides the point.)

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
if sonic does return i hope sakurai treats him like how he did megaman. sonic in brawl for all the things they did right for him they still made him feel half full. the fact he was given two variations of his spin attacks speaks volumes about that.

Now i know sonic's moveset works well in brawl i just feel it can be improved upon to better reflect sonic's essence as a character, especially if he had moves based around games he's been in rather than a subsidiary fighting series from sega.

neutral B: homing attack- basically the same as it is now except a tad less startup lag and allowing you to react sooner on hit to better the overall flow of the move.

side b: that new spin kick from lost world on 3DS- that move could be used as A) a projectile based special for sonic or B) something like how sonic wind works as the moves aesthetics bare a striking resemblance.(heres a picture incase you dont know what move i'm referring to http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/28078W1T_12.jpg )or they could use the light dash/boost and make it function like fox/falco's illusion except no freefall

up b: spring- same as before but he should'nt be able to be grabbed out of it and penalized with not regaining it and the falling animation could be how sonic falls in most of his modern games instead of spinning like he does.

down b would be his spin charge/spin dash and work the same as in brawl.

fair or dair could become the sonic eagle from sonic battle, his uair could be an aerial variant of his sonic upper from sonic battle his jab combo could draw from there as well.

his walking animation imo should look as close to as possible to the ones from the games when he's building up speed and he should'nt need to be so hunched over when he's running with his super peel out, they could also make his animation when he gets hit to match how he looks when he gets hit in the games, they slightly draw from it but still doesn't quite look like it. i would say they could make sonic looks his rings and when he dies you see rings flying or whe he gets hit rings come out. the fact that megaman is getting special treatment in nearly every aspect i find more of a nod towards the fact that sakurai rushed sonic into brawl without completely capturing sonic as a character.
i mean i'll be satisfied and grateful if sonic returns but i still will feel like sakurai hasn't done sonic justice unless he takes the time to really make him feel like sonic, not a what if sonic was from virtua fighter and thrown into smash version.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Some of his "thrown into" can be forgiven considering he was last minute. But that's why he NEEDS to return, so Sakurai and Sega can make him have a more proper appearance.

Granted, I'll take Sonic returning under any circumstance. Even if they barely changed him from Brawl.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
if he returns unchanged i'll be kind of disappointing, considering everyone else is getting moveset tweaks one way or another. And with Sakurai probably learning about all these things he could've drawn reference from for sonic's moveset i think it's very likely he will see some type of new move, even if sakurai changes one move i'll be satisfied. i mean i love sonic's spin attacks but there really wasnt a need for it to be such and over centralized move, that it had to take up two special attack slots.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah don't worry, I fully expect that when/if Sonic's return is confirmed he'll have some differences from Brawl. It's just at that point where as confident I am in Sonic returning. I am a bit nervous. The somewhat scattered post around the boards saying Sonic won't return because he was only meant as a guest character for Brawl aren't helping. That's literally the ONLY reason Sonic would not be included in SSB4. As stupid as a reason it would be, it's the only thing that keeps Sonic from being an 100% certainty. (But doesn't lower his chances any smaller then 80% because of everything else in his favor)

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
sonic is one of the most unique characters and blends in greatly along with nintendo characters... it would be stupid to cut him out, hes amazing

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't come back. At least more surprised than I would be if Snake somehow made it.
I'm hoping that Sonic brings one of his buddies along if he returns.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If Sonic returns, I had an interesting idea for him. Those of you who have played the classic sonic titles know how part of the game was building up momentum right? What if, the more momentum you built up before and during and possibly after attacks [keeping in motion is the key] the more damage and knockback you did as Sonic? The indication of his current speed would be shown as either a boost aura [like in Rush, Rush Adventure, Unleashed, Generations] or After Images like in Advance 2

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Imagine if Sakurai's mental process was like this:

"BWAHAHAHA SONIC FANS I'VE SUCKED YOU INTO MY VIDEO GAME SERIES"

"BE PREPARED TO WASTE 60 DOLLHAIRS ON SSB4 AS HE WILL NOT BE IN IT!"

*Sonic fans go on internet to find out if their favorite character is in the game or not*

That would be completely stupid. Soooooooooo therefore, Sonic has a 99% chance of being in the next Smash.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
If Sonic returns, I had an interesting idea for him. Those of you who have played the classic sonic titles know how part of the game was building up momentum right? What if, the more momentum you built up before and during and possibly after attacks [keeping in motion is the key] the more damage and knockback you did as Sonic? The indication of his current speed would be shown as either a boost aura [like in Rush, Rush Adventure, Unleashed, Generations] or After Images like in Advance 2
That's actually an excellent idea, and It'd put alot more emphasis on his speed, which I feel he was severely lacking in some moves. (especially he smashes)

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Sonic in Project M is a travesty. :applejack:
While Project M is awesome in most respects, I have to agree. It's not their fault, though, or at least not fully. When you start with a badly designed, polarizing character, and try to make him better while still keeping to that design, you'll have issues.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Actually, they did the exact opposite of "keeping to that design" with Sonic. :applejack:

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
He's still meant to be a super mobile character with tons and tons of spinning and low kill power, who can only approach over and over and then run away again because he can't combo at all. In both games, he's a hit-and-run character, which is a pretty flawed design.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Describe differences between Project M and Brawl Sonic. I have never played Project M and I am sure there is others in the audience that share that fact.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
He has the Sonic Eagle as Fair, the Sonic Flare as DSmash, Sonic Updraft on UTilt now(?), homing attack goes straight, and does not target the opponent if A is held, side b is no longer chargeable and goes for a short distance, and cancels into a slide kick if A is inputted, down b has aspects of it and the original side B, and some other changes I don't remember ATM.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
The recent comments from Sakurai about multiple combatants proving difficult on the 3DS got me thinking about who else--if anyone--could have that "rubber band" mechanic besides the Ice Climbers and Olimar. It struck me that Sonic & Tails could work perfectly for this. It would introduce a new character while still keeping Sonic (and most of his moves could still be in-tact, albeit altered). It would be fitting that in Sonic's first foray in Smash he was solo, and his second appearance in Smash would mimic his titular sequel in Sonic the hedgehog 2 by introducing the ever-present Tails.

If you'll forgive the crude drawings, I did a mock-up on Miiverse for fun:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I actually wouldn't know what to think if Sonic became a Duo character with Tails.

On the brightside, one of my favorite characters from the Sonic series would finally getting some spotlight (Heck maybe there'd be an option to control Tails with Sonic following you!). But even in Sonic 4 Episode 2 where Sega promoted the return of the Sonic and Tails duo. You didn't have the option of playing as Tails unless you were Player 2. So unfortunately I don't see it happening considering Sega hasn't really given Tails his fair share of spotlight in a long time.

Though some might be disappointed that Sonic's forced to have a sidekick with him. Even if of course he can be knocked out much like Nana in Ice Climbers. And although they perhaps could change it, the Ice Climbers don't perform s well if only one of them is left. What if they kinda weaken Sonic (Well for some more then he already was anyway xP) That you basically need Tails to be effective :S It'd be kinda disppointing in that way as Sonic usually can do great alone anyway.

volbound1700

Smash Master
What if Tails was put in as another character? Who says SEGA cannot get a little priority since they are involved so much with Nintendo?

Interesting thought and the duo would be fun and unique but it is doubtful and probably wouldn't be as popular and fun as Sonic solo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think Tails best shot at coming in as a playable character on his own would come in SSB5. Where Sonic would establish himself as a veteran that's here to stay for the run of the franchise in SSB4 still on his lonesome, then the Sonic series after it's been present in half the Smash Bros. games could possibly add another rep for the 3rd game that Sonic is in.

Granted, I would love to have Sonic and Tails Vs. Mario and Luigi in Smash Bros. sooner then later. But later's much more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom