• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That is like saying MK X's custom movesets aren't adding depth to the game, of course its adding depth to the game.
You have several different options now available for your character.
Each variation of Sonic's moves provide different options.
I know nothing about MK X as I've never enjoyed Mortal Kombat so I can't offer any contribution to that aspect of the discussion.

However, just because there are more options doesn't inherently give it more depth. GaW has a custom special where his hammer is always either a 9 or a 1 (iirc). That's not deep. That's just silly. I'm sure not every custom move is as extreme as this, but there's going to be a fair amount of testing involved to determine if having the custom option available is worthwhile.

I don't like going too deep into the debate as, ya know, still don't have the game, so I'm just offering my 2 cents.
No doubt the tournaments will allow them as well, and it doesn't take long to swap custom moves at all, Less time than swapping your controls even.
The option to save custom sets certainly helps this case, but saying "no doubt" they'll be allowed is clearly not the case, as this discussion is being had all over the place and the game isn't even out everywhere yet. I've also already said before that I think it's fair to explore the potential of custom moves and possibly ban select ones if things prove to be stupid, but anyone that isn't new to the Smash community knows that it's not exactly that logical so I'm not going to reiterate my points again.
Given the fact that there is actual hit stun in the game, its faster paced, it would be safe to say the game will be much shorter than Brawl's.
I'm not convinced. Characters currently live for a long time in this game. Only difference is that there is more overall combo potential at varied percents. Again, we still barely know anything about this game.
Definitely still getting used to these controls.

That's my johns for why @ Camalange Camalange kicked my pikabutt.

But then we played Bawrl, and I got wrecked by cammy and dark.pch

so don't worry, I'm still bad at that too! :D
Well now your bad DI will be rewarded in Smash 4 so you have that to look forward to ;) lol

:093:

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Semi off topic: Where is that list of Sonic players for Brawl? And will there be one for Smash 4? I see all those other character sub forums making some.

ACSL8R

Smash Rookie
NNID
ACSL8R
3DS FC
2595-2135-0990
I have a question. How do you spell the "Sonic Speed" that replaced "You're Too Slow" in Japanese? It sounds really nice.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I have a question. How do you spell the "Sonic Speed" that replaced "You're Too Slow" in Japanese? It sounds really nice.
It's still "you're too slow" in the japanese version (it's the same voice clip from Brawl).

遅すぎだぜ。 (Ososugi da ze)

And it's more like "Too slow!", actually.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That's impressive! Can you actually understand Japanese?

... ¿Y puedes tambien hablar español, o no? Bueno, asi tu no entiendes, tu no sabes que estoy preguntando. jeje.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
That's impressive! Can you actually understand Japanese?

... ¿Y puedes tambien hablar español, o no? Bueno, asi tu no entiendes, tu no sabes que estoy preguntando. jeje.
I know a bit, but not enough to handle a more elaborate conversation, though.

And, although we speak portuguese here in Brazil, I do know some spanish myself hahah

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Does that just come with being surrounded by spanish-speaking countries on all land fronts, or was foreign language a personal interest of yours that you wanted to pursue?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Does that just come with being surrounded by spanish-speaking countries on all land fronts, or was foreign language a personal interest of yours that you wanted to pursue?
Guess it was a personal interest (you know, for possible work opportunities and stuff), albeit I don't really care too much about it now.

AKA I did study it for some time but now I'm not really interested anymore..

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
index.jpg

I mean, for someone to speak two languages fluently is impressive in of itself, and anything thereafter is just bonus.

But, I suppose it comes with constant practice. At least with English it seems there's no shortage of opportunity.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Yep, even though that with the internet you can find all kinds of people/places to train any language you can imagine, you'll most certainly end up needing to brush up some english eventually.

The downside of being native to a tongue that's considered a "world language" is that most of the time you won't try to learn another language until it's too late (as in, the person is way past the language-learning phase and trying to learn a new one after that is just way more complicated).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I disagree.

I picked up Spanish seriously last year, and I just had to get over the fact that Spanish follows a different set of rules. If anything, it's English that tends to break a lot of conventions and has a lot of inconsistencies when you compare it to other languages.

Perhaps it comes with being Hispanic; but, for someone who should've had a life-time knowledge of the language at a young age, I don't think I'm doing so bad for myself. Children are more open to learn new things; but, it's not impossible to pick up other languages if you're dead set on doing so.

Edit: Now if you asked for my opinion on Japanese, I'd say "**** that, why would anyone in their right mind want to learn a language that is not even original and is only spoken by a couple hundred thousand people in one set of islands located in southeast asia?" Jesus, I gave up when I found out that Japanese has over 10,000 different characters you have to remember.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I was just generally speaking. It just seems to me that most English speakers don't even bother with learning another language and, to top it off, they barely know how to differ "they're" and "their".

But hey, if you're learning a new language and are enjoying it, that's awesome!

If you think about it, English is really easy. I mean, only, like, 4 or 5 variations for a verb? As opposed to a myriad of forms that we have in Spanish/Portuguese? That's kind of unfair hahah (I know it's due to the languages' roots etc)

About Japanese, well, it's different because the whole alphabet is different. It's like trying to learn Russian or some nordic ****. But if you like the culture, I guess you'll either handle it or at least tolerate it.

Also, you don't really need to memorize all those characters. If your vocabulary is decent, sometimes you can simply deduce what a certain kanji means even if you don't know its meaning/reading.

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I was just generally speaking. It just seems to me that most English speakers don't even bother with learning another language and, to top it off, they barely know how to differ "they're" and "their".

If you think about it, English is really easy. I mean, only, like, 4 or 5 variations for a verb? As opposed to a myriad of forms that we have in Spanish/Portuguese? That's kind of unfair hahah (I know it's due to the languages' roots etc)

Also, you don't really need to memorize all those characters. If your vocabulary is decent, sometimes you can simply deduce what a certain kanji means even if you don't know its meaning/reading.
Oh, haha, you're right! Granted, all native speakers to their respective languages are probably guilty of making those common mistakes; however, knowing that English will be my primary language and form of communication with the rest of the world, I almost feel an obligation to at least TRY to look like I know what I'm talking about. It also helps to not look like a fool in front of people who ARE aware of those lingual error.

Nah, man, you didn't even know. The plural of mouse isn't mouses. Goose isn't Gooses. There are PLENTY of inconsistencies I can find in English. But your point is that conjugations are certainly easier, that's true. Still, there's that ever-present feeling of satisfaction when you learn a new word or a form of it that you can then use. Progress is good.

Dude, you say that; but miscommunication sometimes leads to critical misfortunes. I'm all too familiar with that circumstance in my native language, only God could save you if it happened to you in a foreign language. :X

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's still "you're too slow" in the japanese version (it's the same voice clip from Brawl).

遅すぎだぜ。 (Ososugi da ze)

And it's more like "Too slow!", actually.
This gives me hope for the English dub.
¿Y puedes tambien hablar español, o no? Bueno, asi tu no entiendes, tu no sabes que estoy preguntando. jeje.
I CAN READ THIS YES
5 YEARS OF SPANISH CLASS ACTUALLY PAID OFF! IT'S LIKE DECIPHERING CODE!

I actually recently started trying to teach myself Japanese too, but I moved and my building has no internet so I have not been able to continue my courses ;_; I think Japanese is a practical enough language to want to understand, considering how much entertainment I consume is natively Japanese and I know a lot of businesses that interact with Japanese branches. It's good to know how to at least be polite in Japanese language and gesture, which I already know a lot about.

But yeah, my interest in foreign language definitely stems from America in general having an awful education system that doesn't teach you another language. Almost every other country can speak English to some extent and when people come here we mock people with accents and say **** like "speak English!" without knowing anything beyond popularized spanish phrases.

Makes me feel like a chump, but my understanding of Spanish is surprisingly strong.

Oh, and English is a cluster**** of a language. It's generally pretty easy but the amount of exceptions and rules we break in our day-to-day vernacular is unreal.
why is sonic a hedgehog
Why does Sonic fast? :applejack:
because sonic is a blue

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@Cama: They already had Sonic's voice in the demos. Why would they change it back to Griffith? :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
@Cama: They already had Sonic's voice in the demos. Why would they change it back to Griffith? :applejack:
Not back to Griffith, but having Roger Craig Smith do new voiceovers with his own take of, "You're too slow!"

It seemed that everyone was able to trace the voice clips back to other Sonic games Roger Craig Smith did, so it's not too unbelievable that the demo just used them as placeholders, or so I hope.
I wonder if the spin glitches are still in.
Can we do the SideB on a slope glitch?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not back to Griffith, but having Roger Craig Smith do new voiceovers with his own take of, "You're too slow!"

It seemed that everyone was able to trace the voice clips back to other Sonic games Roger Craig Smith did, so it's not too unbelievable that the demo just used them as placeholders, or so I hope.
All voice clips fron the E3 demo are the same. GameRadar has a video showing off their taunts, alot of characters use the same ones from Brawl

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
All voice clips fron the E3 demo are the same. GameRadar has a video showing off their taunts, alot of characters use the same ones from Brawl
But that was an old demo and we still haven't seen anything new from the english 3DS final build, right?

I'm actually asking. Am I missing a clue?

Clearly the Japanese release came out earlier whereas American release would need more time for proper dubbing and localization, correct? It's not unreasonable to have some hope that the voices could be changed. Again, unless I'm missing something.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Camalange ost: 17638164 said:
But that was an old demo and we still haven't seen anything new from the english 3DS final build, right?

I'm actually asking. Am I missing a clue?

Clearly the Japanese release came out earlier whereas American release would need more time for proper dubbing and localization, correct? It's not unreasonable to have some hope that the voices could be changed. Again, unless I'm missing something.

IGN also has an english copy of the game, same voice clips for Sonic. I do wish everyone had new voice clips(especially the Mario vets)

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I will be the king of new york. That is my goal. Im pretty sure thatll make me the best sonic by default.

Also, anthinus. Your english is monumentally better than the last time I saw you post in here.

At this point, if I were to learn another language, it would be asl. Cus deaf people are people awesome on the whole

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
So while I was watching Gamexplain's video on Luigi, and this Twitter post of Palutena & Sonic came up (kinda distasteful for some hardcore fans, funny to me):
https://twitter.com/Yoshi1up/status/514524262716039168/photo/1
This is Smash Bros being Smash Bros with it's wonky animations. I'm sure this happens with other characters like Ganondorf or Rosalina since they're tall.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
So while I was watching Gamexplain's video on Luigi, and this Twitter post of Palutena & Sonic came up (kinda distasteful):
https://twitter.com/Yoshi1up/status/514524262716039168/photo/1
This is Smash Bros being Smash Bros with it's wonky animations. I'm sure this happens with other characters like Ganondorf or Rosalina since they're tall.
Haha I actually find that hilarious. Also you can clearly see Sonic's scowl. He clearly is not appreciative of the kiss xD

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Haha I actually find that hilarious. Also you can clearly see Sonic's scowl. He clearly is not appreciative of the kiss xD
Well I think it's quite humorous as well. I'd post it in the Palutena thread, but its current state is not well enough to handle jokes like these. Too much stuff is going on over there. You can post it over there and see how people react, if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom