• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's alternate color schemes

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
When it comes to Sonic the Hedgehog's 2.5 incarnation, there's little I can say I dislike. The buffs to his pressure game, the re-balanced side-B (although I'm far from comfortable with it), and the meteor tweak added to his DAir, all leave me in breathless anticipation for the next time I get to play as the character.
This, therefore, is going to be one of "those" posts; you know, where a self-proclaimed expert of all things related to Sonic lore nitpicks the little things. Straining a gnat out of my drink, but missing the camel, if you will.
I'm curious: Sonic's alternate colors. Do you, the community, love them or hate them? I'll list my personal preferences below.
Red Sonic AKA Knuckles' color: love it! :awesome:From the purple eyes to the green shoes, it perfectly matches Rad Red, and makes Sonic more easily distinguished in team games.
Green Sonic: :bee:Looks just like Scourge from the Archie Comics' adaptation. Again, good for distinguishing multiple Sonics in team games. The red eyes are a nice touch as well.

And then there are the two I dislike: :glare:'dark blue w/gold bands and shoes' Sonic and near-black Sonic. I don't use them, so it's not a big deal for me, but when I go against randoms as Blue Sonic (aka Sonic Prime), it makes it hard to differentiate between blue Sonic and darker-blue Sonic, especially when they start spinning around on a chaotic stage like Pleiades (forget the actual name, derp).
Here's my suggested solution: make near-black Sonic into true-black Sonic with red patches, making him look like Shadow. Take dark-blue Sonic and make him near-white, essentially giving him a palette emulating Silver the Hedgehog. Honestly, I would have a hard time deciding which color to use if these ideas were implemented.
Sorry if the post comes off a little qq. It just came to me after a few round of Project M, and I know it's well within the abilities of the team that brought us this already-great mod.
Anyhoo, please leave me your well-thought-out and explained opinions below. Thanks again and keep on smashing!

`dazrin

Smash Champion
This is something we were looking into doing for 2.5, but circumstances just didn't allow it to happen in time. Expect more aesthetic surprises and polishes in the future!

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I'm just gonna thrash all the P:M tournaments with Sonic and then they'll make an alt for me in Demo 3/Final Build.

Because that happens all the time. Haven't you seen the M2K MetaKnight yet in P:M?

I may have had something to drink before doing any of this.

It's funny because my avatar is a green Sonic.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'm not really a fan of the alternate costumes as I find them kind of boring and generic.

I just wish they could add a supersonic skin that would be amazing.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I actually have a Super Sonic model I could give you if you wanted haha.

I like his alternate color schemes, but I don't like using them. They're all pretty much akward for me.

though I much rather use a tails model over sonic. :V

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
I want a shadow skin. In fact I added one in but **** if it doesn't work with ANY skin. I tried 01-05 and no results. Pretty lame.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I actually have a Super Sonic model I could give you if you wanted haha.

I like his alternate color schemes, but I don't like using them. They're all pretty much akward for me.

though I much rather use a tails model over sonic. :V
Do I have to have a hacked Wii for that?

Tero.

Smash Champion
I want dark Sonic to have a Shadow Texture and the one with golden Rings to have a Super Sonic Texture

I never understood why Nintendo didn't make it that way in the first place. And I also didnt understand why it wasnt made in P:M

:phone:

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
The recolors are fine with me, as I personally hate the idea of black sonic being shadow. I enjoy sonic being sonic, simple as that. Though, If you do not enjoy the yellow/black sonics that come with M, it's easy to simply replace them with your preferred textures from brawlvault or some other source.

I just think M is better off sticking with the easily distinguishable basic colors for the general public, and those who wish to go crazy with textures and imports can do so once they download M.

OPTKeyo

Smash Rookie
Having a Shadow and Super Sonic color would be awesome! Silver the Hedgehog would be pretty sick too haha.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I would like them to fix Sonic's black and Gold costumes. Make Sonic actually Black but with his normal gear. Super Sonic for gold.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
The recolors are fine with me, as I personally hate the idea of black sonic being shadow. I enjoy sonic being sonic, simple as that. Though, If you do not enjoy the yellow/black sonics that come with M, it's easy to simply replace them with your preferred textures from brawlvault or some other source.

I just think M is better off sticking with the easily distinguishable basic colors for the general public, and those who wish to go crazy with textures and imports can do so once they download M.
"The recolors are fine with me, as I personally hate the idea of orange peach being Daisy. I enjoy peach being Peach, simple as that."

I know that's not the best possible comparison, but you can't deny that there's a precedent set for skins evocative of other characters.

Jerkbag hyperbole aside, I don't see the issue. Whether or not you like the idea of Shadow/Silver recolors (I'm Shadow-neutral, and think a Silver skin is the sonic equivalent of a 9/11 joke) neither of their color schemes have anything really wrong with them. Black/red and White (light grey?) are both easily distinguished, and we have similar skins already (black Falco, white Peach.) I'm looking at the current skins right now, and two of them are nearly identical to the default. That's not okay.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Interestingly enough I encountered similar qualms with Sonic's color scheme, so I decided to go to town and change three of his recolors. The first one I knew I wanted was Metal Sonic, which I eventually found here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...ic&ByUser=%&Info=%&Thumb1=%&Type=%%&TypeAlt=% (the one by mastaklo is the one I used). I don't really like Shadow, so I went for Dark Sonic instead: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...onic&TypeAlt=Character&characterListing=Sonic (I chose the one by dark sonic 19). Then I put on a pure white Sonic that I am really happy with: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...onic&TypeAlt=Character&characterListing=Sonic (the one by Yugnat). I left the darker Sonic because I liked it. I thought the neon recolors were nice, but they were a little too much for me. For me, Metal Sonic was crucial, as the first Sonic game I played was Sonic CD.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
I never cared for Sonic's Red, Green, or Black options in Brawl. And in Project M, they are Slightly better, only because they make it easier to know when I'm NOT on the Blue Team lol. But a Red and Green Sonic bother me SO much. It doesn't look right, so I never touch them. I do really like the Yellow, and it was my preferred color option, until I got some pretty nice skins from the vault. I ended up using one that changes his Sneakers into the ones he wears in Sonic Adventure 2. I placed that on the default Sonic. The other one I got was Metal Sonic. Its over the Black Sonic. I thought about Shadow and opted not to get one because it would bother me to see him run instead of skate. Also, I would be bothered by the blue aura around him. I'm a stickler for detail, and things have to be pretty close to the original or I won't like it.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I still use my Super Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles textures

Edit: oh and Soap Shoes obv

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I don't like how they changed the look of Green Sonic in 2.6. In 2.5, he looked awesome due to the fact that his new green color makes look like Scourge the Hedgehog AKA Sonic's evil double in the Sonic comics. Now in 2.6, he no longer has the shoe color difference that make him look like Scourge and just looks like a Green Sonic which is another small thing in addition to the large big change about Sonic in 2.6... -.-

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Green Sonic.
Blue Shoes.

That's all I need.

lol but I can't get that Sonic with my Green Sonic. He doesn't look like Manik either in 2.6. :p Still, I wonder if it was a precaution to the whole Archie Sonic comics debacle going on or if it was to prevent a C&D from Archie for making Green Sonic look like Scourge in 2.5? :applejack:

Top Bottom